Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,920 members, 7,872,966 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 05:44 AM

Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest (27293 Views)

Remi Tinubu, Governors’ Wives Move To Address “Japa” Syndrome / Peter Obi Agrees With Bill Gates' Comment On The "Japa" Syndrome / Soldiers Who Shot Protesters Must Face The Law, US Officials Tell Osinbajo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by SALLYBERRY01(m): 11:25pm On Dec 15, 2023
h
Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by jaxxy(m): 11:29pm On Dec 15, 2023
FILEBE:

How? There were intermittent university strikes during his tenure over non payment of salaries if I recall

There were strikes in all governments but he made effort to address brain drain. He opened up the economy.
Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by FILEBE(m): 11:35pm On Dec 15, 2023
jaxxy:

There were strikes in all governments but he made effort to address brain drain. He opened up the economy.

Please explain how he did that. What do you expect from Nigeria's first civilian president? Ofcourse things would not be as bad as they are now .

Obasanjo is one of the people that added to Nigeria's problem .

8 years and he couldn't fix Nigeria's power sector, Ajaokuta steel,

Honestly. Obasanjo could have fixed Nigeira for good but he didn't

1 Like

Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by Scarcity234: 11:36pm On Dec 15, 2023
Sorry, nothing is happening soon. Tribalism will be there to defend them

4 Likes

Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by papzie(m): 11:36pm On Dec 15, 2023
Exactly what we've been hearing since God knows when..
Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by Cmeo(m): 11:38pm On Dec 15, 2023
Afterall, the japa syndrome is not totally bad, just that it will give more opportunity for people who didn't go to move to middle class income
Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by malali: 11:39pm On Dec 15, 2023
A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE SHOUTING AND PREACHING THE JAPA PHENOMENON

1-Average cost of rent $2500

2-Phone, electricity, gas, water $500

3-Food Cooking and not eating out 1 person $700

4-Healthcare/Dental, medications,(if not yours budget for your children) $500

5-Transportation (whether you own a car or public transport to work, Car inspections, car registration, fuel, sudden repairs,) $1000

6-Childcare (If you have young children) it can cost up to $1500. Sometimes its cheaper for one spouse to stay at home and tend the kids.

Approx. 10k is needed for 1 grown adult. Thats 15k gross salary. That amounts to $180k/year(before tax is removed)....Some USA doctors do not make this much e.g Pediatricians in university hospitals

These are basics, anyone JAPA-ING without a desirable degree in America e.g, Tech certifications, Nursing, Medical. Will need an American degree to make over 50k a year.
50K a year means 30k after taxes, social security, insurance and retirement. To be able to just live alone, you will need 2 jobs. American jobs are designed to be hectic enough for 1 person/ 1 job in 24hours. If you work 2 jobs a day......Its at the expense of your health/social relationships/family time etc...There is a cost !!!
Even the Tech, nurses, medical will have to pass exams, these exams and preparations could cost $20k with no guarantee of passing.

So the hard part is how can you survive with $40-50k/ year with a basic living cost requiring at least $180k/ year. If you go to school hear, the loans are crippling at 7-8% interests for government loans and even up to 20% for private loans.
Even if you work 2 jobs, which means you leave your house (8am-4pm) (4pm-12am)....This will be at the expense of your health, lifespan, social health. Its not really humanely possible.

Even if you come with a spouse, one of you has to work 2 jobs at the very least, if not both of you. If you work through winter months doing double shifts, you can actually go 4 months without seeing the sun, which results in a lot of mental health issues in Africans, because we were not built for that, and the awareness is not emphasized.

Dont get me wrong its hard in Nigeria, but dont forget, you are coming to a place where their ancestors use to come and kidnap people in Africa for free Labour in the USA as slaves. These mentality has only being finessed over time. However it still exists. Do not be fooled by the few successful JAPA stories. I guarantee you for every one successful JAPA, there are a thousand living from Hand to mouth, paying only bills and taxes around the clock.

I have attached snippets of a reddit column of Americans complaining about the cost of living. Mind you these people went to schools here, so they are better treated and paid in the Labour market. You being a JAPA will be systematically paid less than them most times.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoStupidQuestions/comments/18gg48z/hows_it_possible_people_in_the_us_are_making/

1 Like

Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by obesse: 11:41pm On Dec 15, 2023
Yankiss:
While the government has zero plans for the youths, yahoo yahoo and other fraud ventures are a matter of choice. It's propelled by get-rich0quick syndrome and greed. We should not hide under Government failure to justice the unacceptable. Some youths still make it out there without fraud.

The government is not bothered about development of the country or about the youths. The youths are good enough as thugs and nothing more. So I fail to capture how their japa affects an insensitive idoncare govt. The elite get to power to share our commonwealth, not to develop anybody or anything.
God bless you for your honest opinion.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by MT: 11:41pm On Dec 15, 2023
AnonPoet:

https://leaders.ng/2023/12/15/japa-syndrome-nigerias-political-class-will-face-the-consequences-soonest/

Nigerian Young Professionals Forum (NYPF) - Nigerians and useless title.

You are part of the drain. Creating unnecessary office which will serve as a conduit for corruption.

1 Like

Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by obesse: 11:43pm On Dec 15, 2023
malali:
A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE SHOUTING AND PREACHING THE JAPA PHENOMENON

1-Average cost of rent $2500

2-Phone, electricity, gas, water $500

3-Food Cooking and not eating out 1 person $700

4-Healthcare/Dental, medications,(if not yours budget for your children) $500

5-Transportation (whether you own a car or public transport to work, Car inspections, car registration, fuel, sudden repairs,) $1000

6-Childcare (If you have young children) it can cost up to $1500. Sometimes its cheaper for one spouse to stay at home and tend the kids.

Approx. 10k is needed for 1 grown adult. Thats 15k gross salary. That amounts to $180k/year(before tax is removed)....Some USA doctors do not make this much e.g Pediatricians in university hospitals

These are basics, anyone JAPA-ING without a desirable degree in America e.g, Tech certifications, Nursing, Medical. Will need an American degree to make over 50k a year.
50K a year means 30k after taxes, social security, insurance and retirement. To be able to just live alone, you will need 2 jobs. American jobs are designed to be hectic enough for 1 person/ 1 job in 24hours. If you work 2 jobs a day......Its at the expense of your health/social relationships/family time etc...There is a cost !!!
Even the Tech, nurses, medical will have to pass exams, these exams and preparations could cost $20k with no guarantee of passing.

So the hard part is how can you survive with $40-50k/ year with a basic living cost requiring at least $180k/ year. If you go to school hear, the loans are crippling at 7-8% interests for government loans and even up to 20% for private loans.
Even if you work 2 jobs, which means you leave your house (8am-4pm) (4pm-12am)....This will be at the expense of your health, lifespan, social health. Its not really humanely possible.

Even if you come with a spouse, one of you has to work 2 jobs at the very least, if not both of you. If you work through winter months doing double shifts, you can actually go 4 months without seeing the sun, which results in a lot of mental health issues in Africans, because we were not built for that, and the awareness is not emphasized.

Dont get me wrong its hard in Nigeria, but dont forget, you are coming to a place where their ancestors use to come and kidnap people in Africa for free Labour in the USA as slaves. These mentality has only being finessed over time. However it still exists. Do not be fooled by the few successful JAPA stories. I guarantee you for every one successful JAPA, there are a thousand living from Hand to mouth, paying only bills and taxes around the clock.

I have attached snippets of a reddit column of Americans complaining about the cost of living. Mind you these people went to schools here, so they are better treated and paid in the Labour market. You being a JAPA will be systematically paid less than them most times.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoStupidQuestions/comments/18gg48z/hows_it_possible_people_in_the_us_are_making/
Okay. Why you no come return to Nigeria Nah?
Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by enemyofprogress: 11:45pm On Dec 15, 2023
Jakpon:
Omo I am not exaggerating, the number of my home boys and girls, wey I know personally one on one, that migrated to UK & Canada within the last two months exceeds fifty.
Meanwhile the political class don't care
me I will soon be leaving as soon as Mynd44 is done with her studies in Unilag.
Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by IamPlato(m): 11:46pm On Dec 15, 2023
Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by Angelfrost(m): 11:53pm On Dec 15, 2023
The topic and the post are seriously in conflict... No real correlation whatsoever.

This is clickbaiting take too far.

Op, try dey get sense na!

1 Like

Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by Angelfrost(m): 11:55pm On Dec 15, 2023
Jakpon:
Omo I am not exaggerating, the number of my home boys and girls, wey I know personally one on one, that migrated to UK & Canada within the last two months exceeds fifty.
Meanwhile the political class don't care

Why should they care?!! Is there any top politician whose kids school or live in Nigeria without foreign citizenship or ties?!!

That's why I continue to question the sanity and Intelligence of those supporting and fighting for these crooks in office.

Starting from Mr. President, down to Rep members, these people have secured their futures abroad... They don't even believe in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by FOOTSOLDIER2(f): 12:07am On Dec 16, 2023
Na statistics we go chop? cheesy grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by onuman: 12:16am On Dec 16, 2023
AnonPoet:

https://leaders.ng/2023/12/15/japa-syndrome-nigerias-political-class-will-face-the-consequences-soonest/

For where?
Till they die off, Nigeria's political class are occupying political offices and manage the failed system.
They will always form what seems like government in Nigeria to confuse the international community that there is a country, Nigeria.

They don't give a rat fcuck about their generations unborn.
Buhari was HoS in 1993. He was president 30 years after.
Tinubu was governor in 1999. He is president 23 years after.

3 Likes

Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by agaliboy: 12:23am On Dec 16, 2023
My advise to every youth: just make legit money.
Either in Niaja or any japa country. Don’t say I didn’t tell you oh grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by TPProjectMngr(m): 12:24am On Dec 16, 2023
A good starting point for Nigeria government would be to provide basic amenities. The people relocating now are mostly the middle class, because Japa is definitely not cheap. Many of the people relocating won't mind to stay back in Nigeria if the politician are willing and able to provide the basic things. The real question is do the politicians care about how the citizens feel? If not, then do definitely don't care about any consequences.

2 Likes

Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by Kposkila: 12:58am On Dec 16, 2023
inoki247:
Lol Noise is Chinese and India facing any consequence....

Una Japa reach them.....

Good question, it's been part of human existence to japa, we too make noise.
Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by CoronaVirusPro: 1:04am On Dec 16, 2023
inoki247:
Lol Noise is Chinese and India facing any consequence....

Una Japa reach them.....

Don't mind them!
Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by CodeTemplar: 1:13am On Dec 16, 2023
Japa syndrome can be used to our advantage locally if we have just 25% of good leadership. Their earning power here is much lower compared to abroad. Instead let them go and let their replacements be trained at higher rate. Lets learn from India. Remittances is a sizable part of their economy. I think it is much easier to position Nigeria for $25Bb remittances annually than growing the economy by that amount.

Nobody will brave insecurity to try and be a billionaire in certain parts of this country. The dreams are people are fading away faster and that's the root cause of japa thing.

2 Likes

Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by papyjaypaul: 1:20am On Dec 16, 2023
The good side to japa is that more Nigerians will be exposed to simple things of life and how structure should work, not this yagbayantis politicians with election structure. They will see that heaven can be mimic at Ajaokuta, Ibese and Aba road if they are good to each other. The first thing a Japanese will do abroad is swear for our politicians for making them 2nd class citizens abroad. na y japa people get interest for election, dem no fit bribe dem anyhow with poverty.

na wetin make dem no allow diaspora vote. Dem know say dia yeye money no fit move them

1 Like

Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by epainos: 1:23am On Dec 16, 2023
Nigeria is a baby factory production nation. You don't all understand the meaning of a 30% population increment in the last 10 years. A beggie. Dey play. There are too many people trapped in Nigeria. Nothing is happening. Suffering continues. The number that left won't affect Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by Elonmuzk(m): 1:38am On Dec 16, 2023
Political class in Nigeria don't give a fûck about Nigeria and Nigerians. They only care about their individual pockets.

3 Likes

Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by Navalsadiq(m): 1:41am On Dec 16, 2023
Japa or no Japa we go make and Nigeria go better one day
Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by LUCASC(m): 2:08am On Dec 16, 2023
A post like this you won't see the agbadorians comment😁

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by NwekereNdokl: 2:12am On Dec 16, 2023
Naija
Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by InvertedHammer: 2:19am On Dec 16, 2023
/
While the government has no plans for the youths, the youths themselves are enjoying dearth of productivity.
They prefer giveaways than actually working. Just like during EndSARS, when the youths are truly fed up, the country will self-ignite. Currently everyone is comfortable being aloof.

/

1 Like

Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by Global2000: 3:04am On Dec 16, 2023
Nigeria youths can only talk and write over a bottle of beer more not.like am doing.

quote author=Jakpon post=127505647]Omo I am not exaggerating, the number of my home boys and girls, wey I know personally one on one, that migrated to UK & Canada within the last two months exceeds fifty.
Meanwhile the political class don't care[/quote]
Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by Tijani009: 3:19am On Dec 16, 2023
PHZADDY1:
We still dey lineup sha,next year half of me and my homeboys dey japa too...we can't be in a country where stupid people and vulture grillers dey support people wey hold them captive angry

Give me update
Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by naturefellow(m): 3:33am On Dec 16, 2023
PHZADDY1:
We still dey lineup sha,next year half of me and my homeboys dey japa too. ...we can't be in a country where stupid people and vulture grillers dey support people wey hold them captive angry

Can never be well with them!

CoronaVirusPro Helinues Templarlandry Duro4chang LegendHero LeoDeKing Okoroawusa yarimo N3TRAL freestuffsng seunmsg moh247 ThatFairGuy1 denreledave Raskimonojendor silvernorgold mannabbqgreels = nlpolicewoman

4 Likes

Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by CoronaVirusPro: 3:41am On Dec 16, 2023
naturefellow:

Can never be well with them!

CoronaVirusPro Helinues Templarlandry Duro4chang LegendHero LeoDeKing Okoroawusa yarimo N3TRAL freestuffsng seunmsg moh247 ThatFairGuy1 denreledave Raskimonojendor silvernorgold mannabbqgreels = nlpolicewoman

Fvck you!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Those Who Signed-Away June 12, 1993 Victory To Military Government / Yaya Tongo Resigns From The APC (Pictures) / PDP Assembles Crack Team To Restructure The Party’s Youth System (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.