Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,918 members, 7,879,812 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 07:30 AM

Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building (29240 Views)

DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] / Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri / Architecture: Construction Of Duplex In Lekki & Akwa-Ibom State. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Go Down)

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by Haribo: 4:00pm On Nov 03, 2011
@ OP thanks for such an awesome thread! I am a construction professional like yourself, except that I work in the Northeastern part of the country.

What company do you work for? Does the name start with a T ? Or are you with a regional company? You don't have to answer my question with specifics. Also, what is your role on the project? Field engineer, superintendent, project engineer? Would love to know.

My first construction related job was at a hospital. I remember mocking up a PACU unit for the doctors and nurses to review, a birthing room (they had a bathtub type of thing for giving birth in the water, can't remember the exact name) and also some masonry mockups for exterior wall. Fun times.

1 Like

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by Nobody: 4:01pm On Nov 03, 2011
justokey:

^^^^^^

yes we use the British system in naija, the ground floor is usually not counted.
this is layman talk, a surveyor told me. A storey is a building with one floor. When floors are being counted, you count from the first floor ignoring ground floor while with storey you count everything. I used to share your view until I was corrected by a man trained at the university of London and a fellow of NIESV for over 30years.

1 Like

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 4:17pm On Nov 03, 2011
Haribo:

@ OP thanks for such an awesome thread! I am a construction professional like yourself, except that I work in the Northeastern part of the country.

What company do you work for? Does the name start with a T ? Or are you with a regional company? You don't have to answer my question with specifics. Also, what is your role on the project? Field engineer, superintendent, project engineer? Would love to know.

My first construction related job was at a hospital. I remember mocking up a PACU unit for the doctors and nurses to review, a birthing room (they had a bathtub type of thing for giving birth in the water, can't remember the exact name) and also some masonry mockups for exterior wall. Fun times.

It's a joint venture agreement between my company and another regional contractor,   but in the scheme of things as it relates to the project, i am a project manager.
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 4:24pm On Nov 03, 2011
spyder880:

Quick question bros, what is an Auger cast pile and what is its function in the building, this will help us understand how the materials used there compare with what we use here.

@spyder880, the response is accurate. The auger is basically a huge screw with a hollow spine. It drills to the required depth, concrete is pumped into the hole via the spine and as the auger is being retracted, the hole fills up with concrete, Feel free to ask any more questions,

1 Like

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 4:27pm On Nov 03, 2011
Auger casting piles,

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 4:29pm On Nov 03, 2011
After the auger is removed and the hole is filled with concrete, then the reinforcing steel cages are dropped into the hole. Then the centralizer bar (see pic) is dropped in the center of the cages. These rods are about 2.5inches in diameter,

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by justokey(m): 4:31pm On Nov 03, 2011
blink182:

this is layman talk, a surveyor told me. A storey is a building with one floor. When floors are being counted, you count from the first floor ignoring ground floor while with storey you count everything. I used to share your view until I was corrected by a man trained at the university of London and a fellow of NIESV for over 30years.

Naa. It is a matter of convention. The counting in most Europe  and UK is different from that of America: There are two major schemes in use across the world. In one system, used for instance in the majority of Europe, the ground floor is the floor on the ground and often has no number or is assigned the number zero. Bolded is from the wikipedia. You can get more information from there and many sources.
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by richyk2(m): 4:55pm On Nov 03, 2011
yes we use the British system in naija, the ground floor is usually not counted.

There is a way the America try to abolish certain things that is British origin and try to make it simpler. British refer the first upper floor as the first floor, while Americans refer the ground floor as the first floor.

Therefore, the on-going construction in British English, it is a 9-storey building while in America English, it is a 10 storey building.
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by Nobody: 5:07pm On Nov 03, 2011
This thread is like watching Mega construction on discovery only its interactive. Thanks all. Points noted. Best thread I've encountered here.

1 Like

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by Pukkah: 5:13pm On Nov 03, 2011
richyk2:

There is a way the America try to abolish certain things that is British origin and try to make it simpler. British refer the first upper floor as the first floor, while Americans refer the ground floor as the first floor.

Therefore, the on-going construction in British English, it is a 9-storey building while in America English, it is a 10 storey building.

True. Nice thread anyway.
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by Fidelo726: 5:20pm On Nov 03, 2011
I can see that I am already fascinated by the op's narrations.
I hope to love this thread.

well done kez
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by dayokanu(m): 5:41pm On Nov 03, 2011
Subscribing
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by Jps1(m): 5:46pm On Nov 03, 2011
Nice work@ poster and thanks for the information, one love 9ja.
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 5:56pm On Nov 03, 2011
Jps1:

Nice work@ poster and thanks for the information, one love 9ja.
Fidelo726:

I can see that I am already fascinated by the op's narrations.
I hope to love this thread.

well done kez

Thanks man, Na God!! wink
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by Fidelo726: 6:15pm On Nov 03, 2011
plz always try to give the arial view so that we can appreci.te the job the more
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by CyberG: 7:12pm On Nov 03, 2011
@Poster: Nice job! Will be watching your thread!

To perpetual controverts: Don't derail thread with useless arguments about conventions. Poster said he is US, not British and if you want that, please open your own thread!
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by igbo2011(m): 8:51pm On Nov 03, 2011
Why don't you do this in Nigeria?
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by Select(m): 9:07pm On Nov 03, 2011
Nice thread I must say and nice work going on there.
   Pls get across for the processing of your Bilding Plan Approvals and Titled Documents( C of O, Gov.'s Consent, Regularisatn Cases etc), within Lagos,Ogun and Abuja.
   I work as a Town Planning officer/consultant.
    My email is  select500@yahoo.com
    Cheers!
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by Nobody: 9:21pm On Nov 03, 2011
igbo2011:

Why don't you do this in Nigeria?
Didn't you see the price tag, abi you go fund am?
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by snowdrops(m): 10:08pm On Nov 03, 2011
I think the company starts with the letter m and the building is in the state that starts with letter L.
Thats me being cheeky. Any way nice one OP.
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 10:26pm On Nov 03, 2011
The drilled pier is different in that the drill bit is about 5ft long and drills progressively. As in it drills to its length and then is pulled out, the soil is dumped in a heap and then it is inserted again to drill another 5ft. This process is repeated until the required depth is achieved. In this case, 65ft. After which the reinforcing steel is installed, and then concrete is pumped in via a concrete pump truck. They are usually thicker in diameter and shorter in length than the augered piles.

The blue tank in the second picture contains a slurry mixture which is used to hold the walls of the hole in areas where the water table occurs before the bottom of the hole.

1 Like

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 10:28pm On Nov 03, 2011
Steel installation

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by kez007: 10:33pm On Nov 03, 2011
@ haribo, you can email me at winextracash@yahoo.com and i can provide alittle more info, Cheers!!

1 Like

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by AmAlone: 11:44pm On Nov 03, 2011
THANK YOU OP!!!!!!
NICE THREAD MAN~!
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by Fhemmmy: 12:47am On Nov 04, 2011
Still loving and learning . . . keep up the good work
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by Gbenge77(m): 1:11am On Nov 04, 2011
Impressive.
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by igbo2011(m): 2:39am On Nov 04, 2011
blink182:

Didn't you see the price tag, abi you go fund am?

Labor is cheaper in Nigeria so it should be cheaper. Also we have a lot of natural resources so cheaper resources. THe project would be cheaper in Nigeria.
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by spyder880(m): 6:58am On Nov 04, 2011
@Kez007, nice explanation about the drilled piles, I was about to ask what will hold the soil in place while the drill goes in and comes out to empty the sand, thanks for the fluid explanation, but what of place where the ground water is much, will this fluid hold back the water from flowing into the hole and possibly loosening some soil wall that will fall into the hole. Also, how is the rods inserted up till 65ft below the surface? I am sure machines handles those also. You are doing great, thanks.

1 Like

Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by Mavor: 8:37am On Nov 04, 2011
Are zombies gonna infest this hospital like they did in The Walking Dead Season 1? embarassed
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by alpontif(m): 9:12am On Nov 04, 2011
@OP nice thread, for ur building structural designs and detailed drawings contact una boy, delivery period is under 4 days for any building, designed to bs code, i.e 8110 and 5950 and other applicable bs codes, alpontif@gmail.com
Re: Construction Of A 10 Story Office Building by Fidelo726: 6:28pm On Nov 04, 2011
@spyder, for areas where the soil is stable as shown in the picture or in upland area, the earth can sustain itself from collapse so no liquid (bentonite) is needed to provide such stability.
For areas where the ground water level is high like in some part of lagos, rivers and bayelsa state, the bentonite is normally called to duty of sustaining the earth from collapse. For example, I am working on a bridge project that involves pilling across the river somewhere in the niger delta. The bentonite is introduced inside the pile as soon the auger is removed to sustain the wall of the pile. This process is continued until the required depth is achieved.
On if the bentonite can hold back the water from flowing into the hole and loosening the soil, the principle of osmosis can be used to explain this. The bentonite is actually thicker than the water so you expect the bentonite to tend to infiltrate into the saturated soil than the opposit. But the bentonite looses its viscosity overtime if the casting does not follow within the next 24hours thereby weakening the strenght of the bentonite causing collapse of the wall. This means that any day you expect to bore your pile, expect to cast the same day cause if there is a collapse while the reinforcing cage had been installed, it becomes extremely difficult removing the cage meaning that an adjacent pile has to be bored. This will cause millions for your company and the MD will never want to hear any thing of such.

thank you.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Department Of Interior Decorations / House And Shop Burnt In Ede, Osun, Fire Fighters Motor Destroyed / A Nairanlander's Building Project

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.