Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,682 members, 7,905,513 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 July 2024 at 01:21 PM

Visiting My Girlfriends' Parent For The First Time, What Should I Expect? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Visiting My Girlfriends' Parent For The First Time, What Should I Expect? (448 Views)

I Don’t Call People Or My Girlfriends.. And People Don’t Call Me / How Can I Stop My Ex From Visiting My Matrimonial Home? / 17years Old Teenager Sues His Parent For Being Born White (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Visiting My Girlfriends' Parent For The First Time, What Should I Expect? by Deew22: 9:52pm On Feb 12
Hi guys.
I'm planning to visit my girl's parent for the first time in two weeks time.
We know each other from a distance but I want to officially show my face cos I want to marry her this year.
I have taken her to my parents already.

what should I expect?

1 Like

Re: Visiting My Girlfriends' Parent For The First Time, What Should I Expect? by Ance4Liverpool: 9:58pm On Feb 12
If it were my parent just have it in mind u are coming for interview
Re: Visiting My Girlfriends' Parent For The First Time, What Should I Expect? by Deew22: 10:06pm On Feb 12
Ance4Liverpool:
If it were my parent just have it in mind u are coming for interview

Ahhh!
Re: Visiting My Girlfriends' Parent For The First Time, What Should I Expect? by chiiraq802(m): 10:47pm On Feb 12
Gba's Gbo's......
Re: Visiting My Girlfriends' Parent For The First Time, What Should I Expect? by keepingmum: 11:19pm On Feb 12
Come with a gift for both parents; doesn't have to be expensive.

Expect to wash her dad's car and accompany him to the farm (we dont want your fil to be thinking you are not man enough now do we?)

Expect to accompany your fil to his village towns meeting where you ll natirally be expected to assist the older men with the chopping and bxtchering of cow/goats etc ( you have to show your husband material especially the respect part). Cant be seating down whilst elderly men are working.....wheres your home training??

Expect to follow her dad to their family church where the pastor will ask you about your ssxx life and conduct a deliverance from spirit wife....(cant have their daughter getting married to some one who isn't spiritually sound )
Re: Visiting My Girlfriends' Parent For The First Time, What Should I Expect? by eepeepook: 12:12am On Feb 13
My problem is una no dey ever drop update in detail after all is said and done.
Re: Visiting My Girlfriends' Parent For The First Time, What Should I Expect? by CockPit(m): 12:55am On Feb 13
Billings of course, what do you expect!
Re: Visiting My Girlfriends' Parent For The First Time, What Should I Expect? by GboyegaD(m): 1:10am On Feb 13
Be yourself. If you are not the type that gives gifts except there is a real need for it, please don't create an impression you cannot sustain.

Be courteous but don't allow yourself to be over ridden. Do your best to ensure you are open minded, flow with the conversation but also, channel it the way you want it.

A good example when they talk about your future plans and their daughter and family, be clear on what and how you want to manage your family without compromising your stance.
Re: Visiting My Girlfriends' Parent For The First Time, What Should I Expect? by Nazgul: 3:56am On Feb 13
Deew22:
Hi guys.
We know each other from a distance but I want to officially show my face cos I want to marry her this year.

what should I expect?
Nothing much.

They'll just ask you where you're from, what you do for a living...

The religious ones would ask you about your relationship with God.

Just dress responsible when going and answer any questions thrown at you with confidence, and you'll be fine.

1 Like

Re: Visiting My Girlfriends' Parent For The First Time, What Should I Expect? by GenderMix: 4:36pm On Feb 13
Deew22:
Hi guys.

what should I expect?

Just be yourself. They still see you as her friend so nothing spectacular until a formal introduction with your people

Don't bother going with any gift . You don't need to impress anyone. Be plain and straight to the point when asked any questions.

It's very important to accept whatever gift they give you. Even if it's food, accept and join them to eat. More importantly is to specially thank them for their gesture in receiving you to their home.

Please don't talk too much. Talk only when it's necessary.

(1) (Reply)

Deleted / Best Choice Of Naija Groceries / A Thread For Popular People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.