Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,711 members, 7,879,110 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 12:42 PM

Senate Says It Is Ready To Amend Nigerian Constitution To Okay State Police - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Says It Is Ready To Amend Nigerian Constitution To Okay State Police (14181 Views)

Certificate Forgery: Senate Says They Can't Sack Biobarakuma Degi-Eremienyo / Senate Says Kalu's Seat Won't Be Declared Vacant Yet / I’ll Leave If Impeached By Two-thirds Of The Senate, Says Saraki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Says It Is Ready To Amend Nigerian Constitution To Okay State Police by JoeEeL(m): 12:27pm On Feb 18
Ohraykon:
lagbaja police oga? Which igbo you dey smoke? Person wey be Army 🪖 oga!!!

Haha, na mistake. But u get d point, don't u? cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Senate Says It Is Ready To Amend Nigerian Constitution To Okay State Police by bitbillionaire: 12:42pm On Feb 18
Nigeria being the most populous black nation on earth seems too big to be policed by the Federal Government alone; hence, state police seems necessary. While state police will definitely help in some situation but its potential dangers (especially if they are going to carry gun) are scary!

If they would carry guns they must be supervised by either Federal Police or Civil Defence.

1 Like

Re: Senate Says It Is Ready To Amend Nigerian Constitution To Okay State Police by paramakina202: 12:53pm On Feb 18
Penguin2:
As much as this idea sounds great due to insecurity, it will just make governors mini tyrants.

I hope they put enough checks mechanism in the law that would set it up to mitigate abuse.

APC governors will just be using state police to rig elections.

In fact, I suspect the reason they are pushing for State Police is to have enough touts that would help execute 2027 elections seeing that nobody in his right senses would vote for them except their brainless supporters.

Is our presidents not mini tyrants?
What is good for president is good for govrnors in their respective states.
state Police will eliminate bandits and jihadist that call themselves Fulani herders especially in the south and middle belt.
Re: Senate Says It Is Ready To Amend Nigerian Constitution To Okay State Police by Ohraykon: 2:03pm On Feb 18
JoeEeL:

Haha, na mistake. But u get d point, don't u? cheesy
yes o 😁

1 Like

Re: Senate Says It Is Ready To Amend Nigerian Constitution To Okay State Police by faceland: 2:04pm On Feb 18
SavageResponse:

Most state governments in Nigeria are struggling to pay staff salaries so I wonder where they will get money to pay staff of the state police?

I heard of a governor that was detained by EFCC (a day after leaving office) for trading forex with security allocation. They already has security allocation and if security improves, government would reduce the military budget that are mostly looted to the middle east.

1 Like

Re: Senate Says It Is Ready To Amend Nigerian Constitution To Okay State Police by Justiceleague1: 2:19pm On Feb 18
State police is going to be a disaster...the oppression from the rich and politicians will blow the rooftops
Re: Senate Says It Is Ready To Amend Nigerian Constitution To Okay State Police by Konquest: 2:40pm On Feb 18
Gjrich:

https://saharareporters.com/2024/02/17/senate-says-its-ready-amend-nigerian-constitution-okay-state-police

President Bola Tinubu, at a meeting with state governors on Thursday, had approved the constitution of a committee to explore the modalities for the establishment of state police.

The Nigerian Senate has stated that the federal parliament is ready to review the constitution to accommodate state police if the decentralisation of the security system would end insecurity.

President Bola Tinubu, at a meeting with state governors on Thursday, had approved the constitution of a committee to explore the modalities for the establishment of state police.
The police is currently on the exclusive legislative list in the constitution, barring state governments from establishing state police.
Re: Senate Says It Is Ready To Amend Nigerian Constitution To Okay State Police by Successlane: 2:47pm On Feb 18
Penguin2:
As much as this idea sounds great due to insecurity, it will just make governors mini tyrants.

I hope they put enough checks mechanism in the law that would set it up to mitigate abuse.

In fact, I suspect the reason they are pushing for State Police is to have enough touts that would help execute 2027 elections seeing that nobody in his right senses would vote for them except their brainless supporters.

Wike was a PDP governor.
Ask Rivers people the level of his tyranny.
Re: Senate Says It Is Ready To Amend Nigerian Constitution To Okay State Police by RichDaniels: 2:57pm On Feb 18
Penguin2:

In as much as I agree with you, there's still no basis of logic that your argument makes as to why state police ain't needed. To start with, today the federal police is being used by the federal govt and states to abuse citizens, was it not Wike under Buhari era that took over 100 police officers to reign war on Oyinbo and neighbouring communities it serves, it took the courts to save the people of rivers from the issue. One thing that is certain is that the police, which it's primary duty is to protect lives and properties, has failed woefully in such. In fact, most communities are in dissary because of this vacuum.

1 Like

Re: Senate Says It Is Ready To Amend Nigerian Constitution To Okay State Police by Blue3k(m): 3:02pm On Feb 18
omohayek:

Why do all of you imagine that state policing necessarily means that governors should get to treat the police like their personal armies? That's not how things work anywhere else worth emulating! It's as if Nigerians can't conceive of the idea of division of powers, which is why they also seem to think a president must be an elected dictator able to pass laws and set prices as he pleases.

There is absolutely no reason why state police have to be answerable in any way to a governor, and in fact, it would better that they don't, so we don't have a situation where governors deploy them as enforcers of their personal whims. The heads of state police could be directly elected, just as the governors are, and subjected to an oversight committee appointed by state legislators and LGA chairmen. The important thing is that there should be a mechanism for citizens to hold the police accountable, which is what is completely missing right now.

This accountability issue is why local police at the LGA level would be an even better suggestion than state police, as then both the police and the citizens they should be protecting will know each other by name.

Lol I won't be surprised if it ends up like decentralized prisons. Not one state has established a prison 3 years after the constitution was amended. The federal government will eventually have to force the issue by not accepting prisoners. This especially true if and when they establish their own police force.

The state assemblies if they're not completely retarded won't centralize all power to the governor to be abused. The 36 states will come out with ways to run their police force. The federal government is has d this to improve security and save money.

1 Like

Re: Senate Says It Is Ready To Amend Nigerian Constitution To Okay State Police by NapoleonHill: 4:45pm On Feb 18
accordadoga24:
Hehehe

We hope they also allow us to own AK47.

Na golden AK47 I wan buy

You don chop?
Re: Senate Says It Is Ready To Amend Nigerian Constitution To Okay State Police by newnigerdelta00: 5:05pm On Feb 18
Penguin2:

What is really the problem of you enemies of Nigeria,they do owner go complain they nor do
Re: Senate Says It Is Ready To Amend Nigerian Constitution To Okay State Police by newnigerdelta00: 5:06pm On Feb 18
Penguin2:

What is really the problem of you enemies of Nigeria,they do owner go complain they nor do complain,witches and wizards
Re: Senate Says It Is Ready To Amend Nigerian Constitution To Okay State Police by Asswipemod: 6:12pm On Feb 18
Penguin2:

Cretins everywhere.
Re: Senate Says It Is Ready To Amend Nigerian Constitution To Okay State Police by Asswipemod: 6:13pm On Feb 18
malali:
Clueless senators, ready to rubber stamp the president or a prominent elite.

They are not even aware they represent their constituencies, they have not discussed state police with the people who elected them.

Tinubu mentioned state police yesterday, the whole senate woke up today, and they are ready to "approve" it.

Presidential, legislative and the judiciary should be holding each other accountable, to provide checks and balances.

But in Nigeria, none of that exists.... Possible problems would be:

1-Potential for political interference and corruption.
2-Inadequate funding leading to poor resources and training.
3-Fragmentation of law enforcement, causing coordination issues.
4-Risk of abuse of power without strong oversight.
5-Exacerbation of ethnic and regional tensions.

Start slowly 80% federal police and 20% state police,Gradually over 6 years pullback till we have 10% Federal and 90% state, But there should always be federal oversight, Nigeria is too polarized to have every state having their own police.

If this government should turn to state police overnight, They are removing the subsidy on state security.

We are still in the turmoil of removed dollar and fuel subsidy. Anyone suggesting state police now is being delusional.

Nonsense. Numbskull everywhere.
Re: Senate Says It Is Ready To Amend Nigerian Constitution To Okay State Police by pacespot(m): 6:20pm On Feb 18
Only if this is not the last time we will hear about this.
Re: Senate Says It Is Ready To Amend Nigerian Constitution To Okay State Police by Asswipemod: 6:30pm On Feb 18
Earthquakes:
Hehehehe nothing can work in Nigeria until true federalism or separation.
Who is going to appoint the state police? Where does FG intervention stops??
How can state be controlling police and federal controlling Army and other departments, even when they are both under FG they fight shoot and kill themselves.
State governors will start using them for political purposes and silencing oppositions, naija na joke!
Some of you just post comments because you understand small English. But you can't ever profer any solutions. But because it's not Hoebee in charge, whatever happens is rubbish to you. You're whining about true federalism, but you don't know that state policing is a component of federalism. Nonsense people everywhere

1 Like

Re: Senate Says It Is Ready To Amend Nigerian Constitution To Okay State Police by benuejosh: 6:30pm On Feb 18
Penguin2:

“APC has never rigged election”

So, you agree that people in Rivers voted APC?
Rivers has always been PDP state.
Re: Senate Says It Is Ready To Amend Nigerian Constitution To Okay State Police by Asswipemod: 6:33pm On Feb 18
RichDaniels:

In as much as I agree with you, there's still no basis of logic that your argument makes as to why state police ain't needed. To start with, today the federal police is being used by the federal govt and states to abuse citizens, was it not Wike under Buhari era that took over 100 police officers to reign war on Oyinbo and neighbouring communities it serves, it took the courts to save the people of rivers from the issue. One thing that is certain is that the police, which it's primary duty is to protect lives and properties, has failed woefully in such. In fact, most communities are in dissary because of this vacuum.

Don't mind the fool. It's all because Hoebee is not president.

1 Like

Re: Senate Says It Is Ready To Amend Nigerian Constitution To Okay State Police by AllenSpencer: 7:05pm On Feb 18
Asswipemod:

Cretins everywhere.

He made valid points.

You should have addressed his points instead of the insult
Re: Senate Says It Is Ready To Amend Nigerian Constitution To Okay State Police by BondRiv: 7:18pm On Feb 18
Always in a hurry to create more problems. Don't worry, the result will be clear soon.
Re: Senate Says It Is Ready To Amend Nigerian Constitution To Okay State Police by Asswipemod: 7:26pm On Feb 18
AllenSpencer:

He made valid points.

You should have addressed his points instead of the insult

There is nothing valid about what he said. Pained, bitter Hoebeetuarists everywhere.
Re: Senate Says It Is Ready To Amend Nigerian Constitution To Okay State Police by onuman: 8:55pm On Feb 18
broadman20:

Mention any country in the world where governors have immunity and state police joined together.

You can never give a governor state police and immunity at the same time or most of you will regret later.

If they love NIGERIANs so much, let have the state police and let's remove their Immunity so that NIGERIANs can challenge their actions with power.

This is how most of you were shouting for State independent electoral commission and you have also seen its results after some years now.

I always wonder how this politicians beat you people in this game.

Owing to long encumbered education system of Nigeria. level of understanding diminished among too many Nigerians.
They can't think of the ulterior motive behind northern Nigeria acquescing to state police now, after more than 50 years that the North objected to state police?
Pushing 'repentant Boko Haram into the armed forces for Jihad did not yield the desires of the political and religious leaders of the far northern Nigeria 12 sharia states.
It's now to have ISIS fighters train the sharia states police for invasion of the southern regions to hoist the flag of Islamic Republic of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Senate Says It Is Ready To Amend Nigerian Constitution To Okay State Police by PHAYOL81: 9:52pm On Feb 18
That's good news
Re: Senate Says It Is Ready To Amend Nigerian Constitution To Okay State Police by criuze(m): 10:59pm On Feb 18
If they Charge it to parliamentary system will tinubu become the minister of power

Or will they send him back to osogbo because he's worst than the katsina dullard
Re: Senate Says It Is Ready To Amend Nigerian Constitution To Okay State Police by uzhiyeka(m): 11:55pm On Feb 18
I pray the confusion won't start again when the governors will be using them for election. Create employment insecurity will drastically reduce. Na who no belle full dey reason bad
Re: Senate Says It Is Ready To Amend Nigerian Constitution To Okay State Police by Penguin2: 12:07am On Feb 19
RichDaniels:

My point is that we should rather stick to one tyrant than having 36 more mini tyrants.

But I agree that due to insecurity, state police has now become an existential necessity. But the law setting it up should try enough to foreclose every loophole that the governors might exploit to turn the police under their commands to their hit men against opposition figures.

You should understand what I’m talking about considering who Nigerian politicians are.
Re: Senate Says It Is Ready To Amend Nigerian Constitution To Okay State Police by Penguin2: 12:10am On Feb 19
PS712:

Enough of all these fears of state governors using their state police to have their way,..
They are almost totally using judiciary and the federal police as well as other security agencies anyway.
Insecurity is bringing this nation down to its knees, with state police communities can constitutionally have their say and way (to a large extent) when it comes to securing their territories. But right now, imagine aliens coming into communities with sophisticated weapons and all the communities do is to run away or perish while waiting on federal security agencies that may not turn up or arrive late. Enough of the fears that governors will abuse the opportunity. They will do, but the gains right now outweigh those fears. After all the governors can only constitutionally enjoy maximum 8years, that is all things being equal. Even if they install their stooges to takeover from them, the stooge having gained control may or may not continue to be loyal to the godfather.
We need security to be restored ASAP. Else we'll drown.
Good points.

The gains surely supersede the feared disadvantages.

My fear is that I know Nigerian politicians and what they can do.

1 Like

Re: Senate Says It Is Ready To Amend Nigerian Constitution To Okay State Police by Goldenchyke(m): 5:14am On Feb 19
How can we continue to treat ringworm, while leprosy suffers neglect?
Re: Senate Says It Is Ready To Amend Nigerian Constitution To Okay State Police by Globad(f): 6:12am On Feb 19
malali:

A mixture of Federal and state police, Start with 80% Federal and 20% state, then next 2 years make it 60% federal and 40% state.

Then gradually pullback till we have 10% Federal and 90% state, But there should always be federal oversight, Nigeria is too polarized to have every state having their own police.

If this government should turn to state police overnight, They are removing the subsidy on state security.

We are still in the turmoil of removed dollar and fuel subsidy. Anyone suggesting state police now is being delusional.

Please how exactly is 80% federal and 20% state going to be implemented?
Re: Senate Says It Is Ready To Amend Nigerian Constitution To Okay State Police by malali: 6:21am On Feb 19
Globad:

Please how exactly is 80% federal and 20% state going to be implemented?

[b]Transitioning from a federal police system to a state police system in phases requires careful planning and implementation to ensure smooth integration and effective law enforcement across the country. Here's a potential approach for the quarterly transition, along with specific duties, expectations, and oversight mechanisms for both state and federal police:

Phase 1: First Quarter (80% Federal Police, 20% State Police)
Duties and Expectations:

Federal Police:

Focus on handling major crimes with national implications such as terrorism, organized crime, and inter-state offenses.
Maintain a presence in border areas, airports, and other strategic locations to safeguard national security.
Provide support and training to state police forces to enhance their capacity and effectiveness.
Coordinate with other federal agencies such as the military and intelligence services to address security challenges.
State Police:

Responsible for maintaining law and order within their respective states, including preventing and investigating crimes, enforcing traffic regulations, and handling local security issues.
Work closely with local communities to build trust and gather intelligence on criminal activities.
Collaborate with other state agencies and stakeholders to address social and economic factors contributing to crime.
Implement community policing initiatives to improve public safety and foster positive relations with residents.
Oversight:

The federal government retains oversight of the overall security architecture, setting national security priorities, and coordinating inter-state law enforcement efforts.
The National Police Service Commission or a similar body oversees the recruitment, training, and professional standards of federal police officers.
State governments establish State Police Service Commissions to oversee the recruitment, training, and discipline of state police officers, ensuring adherence to state laws and regulations.
Phase 2: Second Quarter (70% Federal Police, 30% State Police)
Duties and Expectations:

Federal Police:

Transition to a more supportive role, providing specialized assistance to state police forces in areas such as forensic investigation, cybercrime, and counter-terrorism.
Strengthen cooperation with state police agencies through joint task forces and information-sharing mechanisms.
Maintain a rapid response capability to handle emergencies and provide backup support to state police during major incidents.
State Police:

Expand their presence and capacity to effectively police their jurisdictions, including rural and urban areas.
Enhance collaboration with neighboring states and local authorities to address cross-border crimes and other regional security challenges.
Implement community engagement programs to involve residents in crime prevention efforts and address public safety concerns.
Develop specialized units to tackle specific types of crime prevalent in their respective states, such as cattle rustling, communal clashes, or cyber fraud.
Oversight:

The federal government continues to oversee strategic aspects of law enforcement, including counter-terrorism operations, border security, and interstate crime.
State governments strengthen the role of State Police Service Commissions in ensuring professionalism, accountability, and adherence to human rights standards within state police forces.
Efforts are made to establish mechanisms for inter-agency cooperation and coordination, including regular meetings between federal and state law enforcement agencies to exchange information and coordinate operations.
Phase 3: Third Quarter (60% Federal Police, 40% State Police)
Duties and Expectations:

Federal Police:

Focus on specialized tasks requiring national coordination and resources, such as combating transnational crime syndicates, drug trafficking networks, and cyber threats.
Provide training and technical assistance to state police in areas requiring specialized expertise, such as forensic analysis, hostage rescue, and crisis negotiation.
Continue to support state governments in capacity-building initiatives and joint operations to address emerging security challenges.
State Police:

Assume primary responsibility for maintaining law and order within their jurisdictions, including responding to emergencies, conducting criminal investigations, and enforcing state laws.
Strengthen community policing strategies to build trust, gather intelligence, and prevent crime at the grassroots level.
Enhance collaboration with relevant stakeholders, including civil society organizations, traditional leaders, and local government authorities, to address security threats and promote peace and stability.
Oversight:

The federal government focuses on providing strategic guidance and resources to support state police efforts, including funding for training, equipment, and infrastructure.
State governments assume greater responsibility for overseeing the day-to-day operations of their police forces, including budgetary allocations, personnel management, and performance evaluation.
Mechanisms for inter-agency cooperation and information-sharing are further institutionalized to facilitate seamless coordination between federal and state law enforcement agencies.
Phase 4: Fourth Quarter (50% Federal Police, 50% State Police)
Duties and Expectations:

Federal Police:

Transition to a leaner, more specialized force focused on high-level strategic tasks, including national security intelligence, border protection, and critical infrastructure security.
Enhance cooperation with state and local authorities through joint task forces, intelligence-sharing platforms, and mutual aid agreements.
Provide support and assistance to state police in addressing complex and multi-jurisdictional crimes that require federal intervention or expertise.
State Police:

Assume full responsibility for maintaining law and order within their jurisdictions, with adequate resources and support from state governments to fulfill their mandate effectively.
Strengthen partnerships with communities, businesses, and other stakeholders to address local security challenges and promote community resilience.
Develop innovative approaches to policing, including the use of technology, data-driven strategies, and community-based initiatives, to enhance public safety and trust.
Oversight:

The federal government maintains a strategic oversight role in areas of national importance, such as counter-terrorism, interstate crime, and critical infrastructure protection.
State governments assume primary responsibility for overseeing the operations of their police forces, including accountability mechanisms, transparency measures, and compliance with legal and regulatory standards.
Efforts continue to strengthen inter-agency collaboration and coordination at the federal, state, and local levels to address evolving security threats and ensure seamless law enforcement across the country.
Throughout the transition process, it is essential to prioritize the rule of law, respect for human rights, and accountability in policing practices, regardless of whether the jurisdiction is federal or state. Additionally, ongoing dialogue and collaboration between the federal government, state governments, law enforcement agencies, civil society organizations, and other stakeholders are critical to ensuring the success of the transition and building public trust in the new policing arrangements.[/b]
Re: Senate Says It Is Ready To Amend Nigerian Constitution To Okay State Police by RichDaniels: 8:30am On Feb 19
Penguin2:

My point is that we should rather stick to one tyrant than having 36 more mini tyrants.

But I agree that due to insecurity, state police has now become an existential necessity. But the law setting it up should try enough to foreclose every loophole that the governors might exploit to turn the police under their commands to their hit men against opposition figures.

You should understand what I’m talking about considering who Nigerian politicians are.

Those measures are already in place, but the same federal govt you're calling on to limit the states policing powers are the main abusers and frustrators of that measure. The judiciary in every sane society is to act on that regard, in Nigeria today, the federal govt is the chief abuser of the judiciary.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

PDP Jittery Over Buhari’s Orders On Ballot Boxes Snatching — Presidency / What To Expect From Oshiomhole In NASS - Omo-Ikirodah / Tinubu: My Kano Visit Not For Political Campaign

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.