Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,123 members, 7,887,246 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 04:11 AM

Should I Go For A Masters Degree Or Remain Jobless At Home? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Go For A Masters Degree Or Remain Jobless At Home? (12628 Views)

As A Jobless IT Guy, Should I Take Job In Sales Or Remain Jobless / How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? / Jobless Lady Returns Money A Company Mistakenly Paid Into Her Account (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Go For A Masters Degree Or Remain Jobless At Home? by Kingrshd3: 8:27pm On Feb 20
TheGift:

How will he pay for the masters without a job?

Will the masters significantly improve His chances of getting a job?

If the ultimate goal is to get a job , why not aim t get a job first? People who have not even finished secondary school and even drop outs are working at google , Facebook etc.

Focus less on getting a certificate and more on getting a skill that van add value to people and organisations.

And never forget, Unemployment is a choice.

I focus more on certifications is what is limiting my career and my success till date 😢

I will train my son to fight for two or three things in life to he up and doings.

Certificate
Skill
Trading.

because I was trained in only certification way is d only to become successful in life but today certificate is 2% edge for u to become a millionaire

2 Likes

Re: Should I Go For A Masters Degree Or Remain Jobless At Home? by Danidinho4: 8:30pm On Feb 20
Go and learn a handiwork
Re: Should I Go For A Masters Degree Or Remain Jobless At Home? by NPFLADMIN(m): 8:51pm On Feb 20
TruthsFM:
where’s the money to buy data.

Open opay account. Transfer 2k dere. Then be getting rewards. On day 5, 10 and 20. They give free voucher. Meaning you'll buy more data with less money.

That's how I do things.

9ja don see us finish.
RN, I'm on 125 naira. Patiently waiting till it reaches 200.
Re: Should I Go For A Masters Degree Or Remain Jobless At Home? by jeromestarks: 8:57pm On Feb 20
tishbite43:

Get married ke

In his father's house?!
People dey do am naaa.
Don't make it sound as if it's a sin.
Re: Should I Go For A Masters Degree Or Remain Jobless At Home? by BornToSucced(m): 9:08pm On Feb 20
Target some good law firms and apply for internships. With the internship experience, you can easily get a high paying job and also get to network with erudite legal professionals.

Instead of Masters, I suggests you write the ICSAN professional exams. Masters is a waste of time and money.
Re: Should I Go For A Masters Degree Or Remain Jobless At Home? by iamkim7: 9:13pm On Feb 20
Go and learn a skill or a trade.
Plenty people are walking the streets with Ph.Ds with no jobs you want to join them
BucketMan:
Hello guys, please I need your advice. I'm currently in a dilemma on what to do with my life presently. I'm a lawyer called to the bar in December 2022. Afterwards I practiced in a law firm for 6 months before resigning due to the meagre salary and harsh work environment. I just couldn't keep up, Although I can confirm that legal practice was very terrific but it's something that you can only enjoy if you're well paid at the Law firm or company you work with to effectively maintain the standard expected from you.

I've been jobless for 8 months now as all the efforts I put into securing a job ended in futility. I'm thinking of going for my masters degree(LLM) instead of staying idle at home with my parents. I think by doing this I can keep myself busy and improve on my career academically while also trying to find a good job in today's Nigeria.

Serious advice needed please
Re: Should I Go For A Masters Degree Or Remain Jobless At Home? by LOVEGINO(m): 9:20pm On Feb 20
coldsummer:
Remain jobless

You have a phone that you can use data to surf. Your life is complete.

na him parent buy data for him oo
Re: Should I Go For A Masters Degree Or Remain Jobless At Home? by Gggjhhj: 9:21pm On Feb 20
Guy Wey study law for school, don enter street dae bomb CL dae cashout, you don't have a job what is the relevance of masters in this economy, waste of hard earned money
Re: Should I Go For A Masters Degree Or Remain Jobless At Home? by ParagonPrick: 9:48pm On Feb 20
post=128557826:
What a funny question 😄

[/b]
Hehehehe grin cheesy

Please [b]don't leave us
🤣 😂 😃
Lawyer Layi in da building....

Well as dem MANNA wey we be,
We go advice you Bucketman,

Please, go for your Master's degree and don't remain jobless at home biko.
Na beg we dey beg you ooo.
Is dat all ?!

Btw,
Do you still live with your parents?
Let's start from here undecided

Oh, we see!

Everything good.
We bo be Mr oooo,
We are simply WE.
Do have a great day sir.
Always talking gibberish
Re: Should I Go For A Masters Degree Or Remain Jobless At Home? by frozen70(f): 10:04pm On Feb 20
BucketMan:
Hello guys, please I need your advice. I'm currently in a dilemma on what to do with my life presently. I'm a lawyer called to the bar in December 2022. Afterwards I practiced in a law firm for 6 months before resigning due to the meagre salary and harsh work environment. I just couldn't keep up, Although I can confirm that legal practice was very terrific but it's something that you can only enjoy if you're well paid at the Law firm or company you work with to effectively maintain the standard expected from you.

I've been jobless for 8 months now as all the efforts I put into securing a job ended in futility. I'm thinking of going for my masters degree(LLM) instead of staying idle at home with my parents. I think by doing this I can keep myself busy and improve on my career academically while also trying to find a good job in today's Nigeria.

Since you or your parents can afford masters for you

Why not travel out and do any kind of job that will give you money that has value
Re: Should I Go For A Masters Degree Or Remain Jobless At Home? by PhilipReigns(m): 10:04pm On Feb 20
Kingrshd3:
My brother this is d greatest mistake I made in my life for not learning a skill after my first degree .. you know this ego of graduate na u won't want to work under sun or life a mere skill labour instead we would prefer office job with tie.
Although I found one later one but the pay is nothing to write home about till dates.

Now for me to go back and restart or restrategise the process ehn 🤔
I found it too difficult because am married now with kids 😢

For those of you talking about business and skills, using the money for MS.c to start a business, you think it easier on that side? I have never submitted my CV to any company since 2017 I graduated. But You all really think that doing business in a volatile country like Nigeria is easy? Well, be my guest. because you just met a graduate who took d part of skill acquisition after nysc, hope you know how much it cost to rent an empty store in a fairly busy location, not talking about renting Inside a market? Let alone stocking it in this inflation driven period? I have been through it my friend, and still in it, some of my aunties still encourage me to keep searching for a gov job, although no regret so far, Sometimes when inflation is bitting hard, and customers who never moved pass elementary 5 starts to insult you over N1500 workmanship from a phone u fix for him more than 3 months earlier, you just cannot do anything order than to wish Nigeria was a better country. Before you say jack! It's time to renew store rent again. House rent is there also, waiting for renewal, aren't you going to feed? This kinda make me to start to respect most directors/CEOs/owners of companies. Please let's take a moment to appreciate employers of labour, it's really not easy for them. Your employer is a business man, be it a lawyer who owns a firm or a medical doctor who owns an hospital. What graduates care about is salary increment, how huge the salary offer is, not considering if the place you work is having a smooth business operations to sustain its existence. The grass is not always greener on the other side.

1 Like

Re: Should I Go For A Masters Degree Or Remain Jobless At Home? by omojeesu(m): 10:36pm On Feb 20
BucketMan:

We have been programmed to be workers / Job seekers. After your Masters then PhD then what?

Learn a skill and monitize it!
Re: Should I Go For A Masters Degree Or Remain Jobless At Home? by Glassysea(m): 10:39pm On Feb 20
The one he go he has nothing to offer you want him to go more , well what can we say
Re: Should I Go For A Masters Degree Or Remain Jobless At Home? by Chingyyy878: 10:41pm On Feb 20
post=128557859:

Lol 😁,
Same thing we commented yesterday....
Re: Should I Go For A Masters Degree Or Remain Jobless At Home? by just2endowed: 10:52pm On Feb 20
post=128557826:
What a funny question 😄

[/b]
Hehehehe grin cheesy

Please [b]don't leave us
🤣 😂 😃

Is dat all ?!

Btw,

Oh, we see!

Everything good.
We no be Mr oooo,
We are simply WE.
Do have a great day sir.

@ enjoying special privilege from Seun. Omo it's good oh
Re: Should I Go For A Masters Degree Or Remain Jobless At Home? by Melagros(m): 10:53pm On Feb 20
post=128557826:
What a funny question 😄

[/b]
Hehehehe grin cheesy

Please [b]don't leave us
🤣 😂 😃

Is dat all ?!

Btw,

Oh, we see!

Everything good.
We no be Mr oooo,
We are simply WE.
Do have a great day sir.
Hmmmmm
Re: Should I Go For A Masters Degree Or Remain Jobless At Home? by Franky9584(m): 10:58pm On Feb 20
boldsleek:
Who will pay for the master's?

You?
Your parents?
Like how much will it cost?

Why not use part of the funds for masters and learn a skill? Be it Electrical, plumbing, IT, repairs of industrial generators, furniture, pop installation, repairs of medical equipment, etc

When you have gathered experience, you open your own company, register it, start pursuing contracts.

The guy that's services our gen in my office charge is 50k that's after we might have called him several times and waited .., He is always damn booked and busy.

The security guy in my office who also doubles as a plumber is cashing out big time, the day he broke his piggy bank in my presence, just for 6months from his hustle as a plumber. I cursed my Nigeria certificate.

Think of being an creator of job, and not a job seeker even after your masters.

Nice one but do U have a contact as to that?
Re: Should I Go For A Masters Degree Or Remain Jobless At Home? by Franky9584(m): 11:01pm On Feb 20
Laple0541:
The money he wants to use for a master’s degree, can’t he use it for something more productive at least for now?

Go for a Master’s degree only if you want to be in academic line. One don’t need too much degrees to make it in current day Nigeria. Though if you have the means, you can go as high as you like, but not with the intention that that will guarantee you jobs.

Something productive like
Re: Should I Go For A Masters Degree Or Remain Jobless At Home? by Franky9584(m): 11:02pm On Feb 20
Re: Should I Go For A Masters Degree Or Remain Jobless At Home? by Alaga2222(m): 11:05pm On Feb 20
Let him remain jobless at home… I think that’s better. Shebi you dey mad with this kind question
Re: Should I Go For A Masters Degree Or Remain Jobless At Home? by Seunpapa65: 11:12pm On Feb 20
Franky9584:

How?
Use the money for carry ashawo and enjoy small even you sef know say u don suffer
Re: Should I Go For A Masters Degree Or Remain Jobless At Home? by NLPoliceWoman: 11:23pm On Feb 20
RTR
Re: Should I Go For A Masters Degree Or Remain Jobless At Home? by Franky9584(m): 11:23pm On Feb 20
Seunpapa65:

Use the money for carry ashawo and enjoy small even you sef know say u don suffer
U get since at all?
Everybody can't be like U idiot!
Re: Should I Go For A Masters Degree Or Remain Jobless At Home? by TheGift: 11:31pm On Feb 20
Kingrshd3:

I focus more on certifications is what is limiting my career and my success till date 😢

I will train my son to fight for two or three things in life to he up and doings.

Certificate
Skill
Trading.

because I was trained in only certification way is d only to become successful in life but today certificate is 2% edge for u to become a millionaire
Mom
It’s never too late for you to evolve and grow.

But as per your son, I agree . Apart from developing his academic/intellectual abilities , I also want to ensure my son has developed excellent skills in a creative, sports and/or vocational area before he is done with secondary school.

That’s why countries like Germany are still so relevant , their education covers both whitecollar and vocational education.
Re: Should I Go For A Masters Degree Or Remain Jobless At Home? by autodoctor: 2:29am On Feb 21
Jobless at home i believe is better

1 Like

Re: Should I Go For A Masters Degree Or Remain Jobless At Home? by Adesina18111(m): 2:34am On Feb 21
Having a master degree doesn't guarantee you a job...Life is digital now...find something doing online with your phone...not only yahoo boys are making money online...you can use the money u are proposing for your master degree to learn data analysis and any digital work online...stop piling Up certificate upon certificates
Re: Should I Go For A Masters Degree Or Remain Jobless At Home? by Dpharisee: 7:09am On Feb 21
NLPoliceWoman:

Mynd44 Dominique Justwise.
Rule 2
You have become such a nuisance on this forum that Nairaland placed your main moniker MANNABBQGRILL as a Bot grin
Re: Should I Go For A Masters Degree Or Remain Jobless At Home? by Medici777: 7:27am On Feb 21
BucketMan:

Why do you people ask stupid questions sometimes
Re: Should I Go For A Masters Degree Or Remain Jobless At Home? by NohurryInLife: 7:45am On Feb 21
judetov2:
Back then in high school, we all wanted to become lawyers. So one day my dad sat me down and explained how legal practice is done in Nigeria. As a young lawyer what u should have in mind is " lawyers dnt retire" and nobody wants to hire a young and inexperienced lawyer to handle his case.....Falana has been there since I was born....dnt tell me ur parents are going to sponsor ur Masters degree.
This is the problem
Re: Should I Go For A Masters Degree Or Remain Jobless At Home? by Bfly: 7:56am On Feb 21
A lawyer who is truly grounded have no need asking this kind of questions.
Just proceed with your masters, probably becomea prof and read out textbook to law students.

It is not your fault that they filled you with garbage for five years. Nigeria is happening to every one
Re: Should I Go For A Masters Degree Or Remain Jobless At Home? by 417mokolade: 8:17am On Feb 21
What a funny question 😄 Everything good.We no be Mr oooo,We are simply WE.Do have a great day sir.What a funny question 😄 Everything good.We no be Mr oooo,We are simply WE.Do have a great day sir....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Who Knows How To Become A Surveyor In Nigeria? / 5 Reasons Every Worker Needs To Develop A Good Savings Culture / Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.