Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,667 members, 7,911,804 topics. Date: Monday, 05 August 2024 at 04:13 PM

Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? (4548 Views)

See The Grammatical Blunder Of The Nigerian Police Force / Does The Loud Sound Of A Person Chewing Gum Irritate You? / What Are Your Pet Peeves, Phobias And Things That Irritate You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by Nobody: 10:04am On Nov 12, 2011
honeric01:

How does an nler sound to your ears? more professional? now we have a problem lol

A Nler is more formal and professional, no sugar-coating.

Its were a sarcasm.

IbroSaunks:

. the thing is, when i was typing this, my mind was saying nairalander , but typing on a touchscreen fone can be annoying so i shortened. but if pronounced as nler, its a vowel sound so it applies, so u r right after all, gosh if i could just find my modem all this won't be happening!

You aint kidding.
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by honeric01(m): 10:05am On Nov 12, 2011
IbroSaunks:

Just because I'm a nice guy, I'll leave you to stew on why I bolded those letters!

Are you serious at the bolded? abeg no fall my hand o shocked shocked grin
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by slap1(m): 10:11am On Nov 12, 2011
I'm mostly amused by it. But when Becomrich and Mr. Cork makes blunders, I understand that they've tried their best.
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by IbroSaunks(m): 10:13am On Nov 12, 2011
@ileke_idi
n is pronounced as "en", and that is a vowel sound.
@honeric01
seriously, u flopped by typing in lowercase there!
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by slap1(m): 10:14am On Nov 12, 2011
slap1:

I'm mostly amused by it. But when Becomrich and Mr. Cork makes blunders, I understand that they've tried their best.
'Make blunders'.
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by IbroSaunks(m): 10:18am On Nov 12, 2011
@honeric01
Ohh, ur saying the "bolded" is wrong. Well it's a colloquial!
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by IbroSaunks(m): 10:23am On Nov 12, 2011
slap1:

yeah sometimes its amusing. in fact, that's how it is with people that make mistakes once in a while. but what honeric01 doesn't get is that im talking to people who don't even care and do it all the time. even when it's someone that did not go to school i still overlook, but ur a graduate and u can't say 7 sentences without commiting, u gotta help urself.
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by stepone(m): 11:03am On Nov 12, 2011
English or no english, even the Americans & Britain's do make lots of mistakes; I mean Directors, Managers, Politicians & Stakeholders. Only professionals like Lecturers who took time to study English, speaks it right. So stop disturbing ur fingers typing on who is incorrect grammatically.

English Dictionary is only correct when so called professors says its correct and that why it is been edited (having informal & formal words).

Are they not human like u? Does English falls from heaven? So what makes you think what they impose on us to follow are just a thought of there's.

As long as I can communicate with understanding to the outer continent, no Probs ma people. Holla me
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by IbroSaunks(m): 11:11am On Nov 12, 2011
stepone:

English or no english, even the Americans & Britain's do make lots of mistakes; I mean Directors, Managers, Politicians & Stakeholders. Only professionals like Lecturers who took time to study English, speaks it right. So stop disturbing your fingers typing on who is incorrect grammatically.

English Dictionary is only correct when so called professors says its correct and that why it is been edited (having informal & formal words).

Are they not human like u? Does English falls from heaven? So what makes you think what they impose on us to follow are just a thought of there's.

As long as I can communicate with understanding to the outer continent, no Probs ma people. Holla me
if u read my last reply, you would understand me better.
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by Konnektions146(m): 11:30am On Nov 12, 2011
i dont have much an isue wen one performs badly with spoken english but i get pissed wen she tries to prove she`s flawless or picks offence wen she`s been corrected, -not tooo good!
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by Nobody: 11:53am On Nov 12, 2011
yes it does, especially on NL
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by IbroSaunks(m): 12:03pm On Nov 12, 2011
toba im still marking u closely , grin grin
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by Dauchman(m): 12:45pm On Nov 12, 2011
It's actually weird the things we fuss about. Do you guys know that even the owners of the language speak horribly!!!!!
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by IbroSaunks(m): 12:52pm On Nov 12, 2011
Dauchman:

It's actually weird the things we fuss about. Do you guys know that even the owners of the language speak horribly!!!!!
Hehehehe, im not fussing atall! and yep, even they have 'shooters', that really doesn't justify anything. smiley
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by Nobody: 2:02pm On Nov 12, 2011
honeric01:

You should have waited till you got on your computer before setting up a thread like this, infact you're repeating the same thing, starting a sentence with a small letter, correct yourself.

I thought phones also come with CAP locks? are there no capital letters on your phone or you are too lazy to switch?

If you know you ain't an editorial committee, why then bother about how others type?

If you can't take criticisms, then you are not worth giving one either.

Spot on!! I still don't get the purpose of this thread. You claim people don't accept their mistakes and try to improve, but you are doing the same thing man! You are just giving excuses! Don't you think everyone can give excuses for their blunders? No one is perfect and when it comes to typing too, everyone is prone to error.
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by IbroSaunks(m): 2:17pm On Nov 12, 2011
i wish people would just get my point. of course i make errors, u make errors, heck we all do. seriously i get that. the issue is not people making errors. there's a reason i gave an example in the first post. its people that are lazy that i don't support. i guess its d way i put it and sadly, no modify button. but t_pias two replies have said it all for me.
i make errors sometimes, some other times i know what im saying.
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by Nobody: 2:39pm On Nov 12, 2011
I honestly dint have a problem with your initial post, but when you kept on defending yourself about your errors, It got me thinking 'are you practising what you're preaching'.

What do you mean by 'laziness' in your last post please?
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by IbroSaunks(m): 3:01pm On Nov 12, 2011
i defended them because i felt i didn't make a mistake. i admit, the first ones about 'i' and capping first letters were right. i found out its all thanks to opera mini, it doesn't support automatic capping. but before i accept, i have to feel like i sincerely made a honest mistake. for ur sake, i accept! but i still blame my browser and my fone for most of it.
as for d 'bolded', it is a colloquial, but i accept still!
for 'an nler ', it is a vowel sound, but i accept. i didn't mean to attack anyone, i just wanted to make sure my point was gotten.

u asked about which school i go to d Oda time and i responded and asked about urs but u didn't respond. so which do u go to?
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Nov 12, 2011
I'll go bk to the thread u asked.
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by IbroSaunks(m): 3:19pm On Nov 12, 2011
about laziness, some people in schools know how bad their language is but don't make any effort to rectify the problem. what they don't know is that it can affect 'em in the future.
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by IbroSaunks(m): 3:22pm On Nov 12, 2011
why don't u want to answer here?
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by Gunzilla(m): 5:12pm On Nov 12, 2011
Ibrosaunks, from what you wrote on here,i'd guess that you are still a University student so i understand your enthusiasm, but the earlier you realise that the English language is not our first language and its just a medium of communication,the better for you.Like some people have pointed out,you've made several blunders yourself in your various posts. If you want to put yourself in a position to criticise,you have to "come correct" as the saying goes,and the excuse that you're typing on a mobile device will not avail you in this instance.
This is just an internet forum.People are not what they seem they are.Its just an avenue to vent on things that are bug us, we are not writing term papers nor dissertations, please get over yourself, and i mean that in a friendly way, wink
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by IbroSaunks(m): 5:24pm On Nov 12, 2011
you still don't get me?? ogigbigigbigigbi!!!i rest my case!
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by flops: 5:36pm On Nov 12, 2011
Errors irritate. The best you can do is not take it personal, understand that no one is perfect, and try to politely correct.
Otherwise just try to understand what is being said and move on.
Some people had there first introduction to the language listening to Eminem, grin
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by joeruano: 12:28am On Nov 13, 2011
nigerians disappoint me grossly when they speak english. they don't even care 2 improve n when u try 2 correct them , they accuse u and then say "english nor b my mother tongue", whereas they cant even speak their mother tongue cos they've replaced it with pidgin n english in the name of so called civilisation.what a pity? nigerians really need 2 grow up . no offense intended.
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by madprof(m): 9:28pm On Nov 13, 2011
For me, I wish people would make more effort to speak and write English better. As for those who hide under the English-is-not-my-mother-tongue ruse, well, my question is: how well do you know your mother tongue in this day and age of mixed marriages and urbanized populations? You will find that those who think little of speaking and/or writing correct English are not so proficient in speaking or writing their so-called mother tongue either.
This kind of attitude is the reason many students fail WAEC English every year.
And please, what is the meaning of "gbagauns" and "ibons"?
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by joeruano: 9:58pm On Nov 13, 2011
Madprof, u got a an interesting n witty comment right there. i wish there were many folks like u in naija.cheers
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by stepone(m): 10:21pm On Nov 13, 2011
@ joeruano

Well I think we should not for our mothers tongue. Speaking English doesn't make u rich, wealthy or be a religious person. because of English, we are been enslave and this is a tread to keep us in that line till eternity. If u speack English fluently, does that makes u a white man? The white still refers u as Black monkey whose respect are limited. Why don't we extend our own mother tongue; be it Yoruba, Hausa or Igbo to make the world learn our and discourse it on forum just like we do? Why is when u speak ur language to a white man, but in return he/she will tell u, u are saying Bullshit" why is the french speaking countries still insist on speaking the own born language? Remember that the western world can't rule the world for life! So if Arabian countries are now in-charge, will we be forced to speak there language as the new general Language of the world or because they are d world ruling leader? Let elevate what we have. I av never said english speaking or gbagauns in English is ok but Nigers will make u feel diminish and unstable if u gbagaun, instead of correcting u in the right manna. Hola me
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by madprof(m): 1:03pm On Nov 14, 2011
stepone:

@ joeruano

Well I think we should not for our mothers tongue. Speaking English doesn't make u rich, wealthy or be a religious person. because of English, we are been enslave and this is a tread to keep us in that line till eternity. If u speack English fluently, does that makes u a white man? The white still refers u as Black monkey whose respect are limited. Why don't we extend our own mother tongue; be it Yoruba, Hausa or Igbo to make the world learn our and discourse it on forum just like we do? Why is when u speak your language to a white man, but in return he/she will tell u, u are saying Bullshit" why is the french speaking countries still insist on speaking the own born language? Remember that the western world can't rule the world for life! So if Arabian countries are now in-charge, will we be forced to speak there language as the new general Language of the world or because they are d world ruling leader? Let elevate what we have. I av never said english speaking or gbagauns in English is ok but Nigers will make u feel diminish and unstable if u gbagaun, instead of correcting u in the right manna. Hola me

Dear Stepone,
The meaning of the latter part of your post - as emboldened - is lost on me, which proves my point. Your statement lacks clarity and if this were an exam, you'd probably flunk.
I'm sure you'll agree that speaking English the way you do doesn't make you rich either; it doesn't even make you a black man!
All over the world and with every passing year, English is fast becoming the single most spoken language. What does that tell you?
What/how much effort have you made to promote and publicize your beloved mother tongue, besides sitting at home and hating on the "whiteman" and "his English"? If I give you a Yoruba (I'm guessing that's your mother tongue) bible now, I'm betting you can't read it fluently. What you just posted above, can you translate it in your mother tongue completely and correctly without grammatical errors? For someone like you, I doubt it. So, if you are not proficient in English language or your mother tongue, what then are you good at? Think about that and when you discover what it is and you can do it in a unique way that exceptionally affects mankind and changes the course of history, then maybe the world will be persuaded to learn and adopt your mother tongue on a global scale. Until then, keep learning and improving on your English because, yes, people have become rich through knowing and speaking English properly.
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by stepone(m): 1:32pm On Nov 14, 2011
@ madprof

I doubt u'll speak like this, if ur name was in d other way round. If u had read as u av proved, u will get all my story right. All am saying is let elevate our language so they can learn our language and extend it. Haaaa! Nigers we too like borrow borrow like Madprof. Do u think our language can't be extended to the western world?
Re: Do Grammatical Blunders (gbagauns, Ibons) Irritate You? by madprof(m): 2:53pm On Nov 14, 2011
@stepone,
Again I ask: what conscious effort have you made to "extend our language to the western world" as you have put it? Furthermore, suppose that other cultures decided to "borrow" our local languages for a change. What would words like electromagnetism and inertia translate to in Hausa, Efik or Ijaw? Are our languages robust and enhanced enough to be used even for exclusive teaching in schools? How much effort have you made, stepone, to change this?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Blood Money & Nnewi Rich Man / Graphic Photos: Dead Bodies Found Buried In Building Site In Enugu / Godrej Nigeria Graduate Trainee 2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.