Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,500 members, 7,881,692 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 07:23 AM

Does Nigeria Needs Foreign Military Boots On Ground!? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Does Nigeria Needs Foreign Military Boots On Ground!? (5696 Views)

Poll: Do We Need Foreign Military Help?

Yes: 38% (14 votes)
No: 61% (22 votes)
This poll has ended

Presidential Helicopter On Ground To Convey Jonathan To Bayelsa From PH / Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs / How Much Does Nigeria Make Daily From Petroleum? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Nigeria Needs Foreign Military Boots On Ground!? by Kobojunkie: 7:50pm On Nov 13, 2011
You would be surprised how many Nigerians actually care or understand the magnitude of the situation. For most, as long as it is not happening near their homes, it is an hausa problem and nothing else.

Now, I don't believe millitary might is what wins battles. We already know this. Even the US has apologized for not just the war in Iraq but the many screw ups. Having more guns, more bombs, etc, does not win battles. Having the upper hand, and know hand does.

The Intel that has been gathered, and much revealed, has been for us. Example, last September, the President was informed well ahead of time, of the planned bombing. There was sound warnings from various agencies. Many countries pulled their delegates out of Nigeria as a result. BUT our dear Nigeria probably did not take anything revealed seriously, and we ended up with the bloody event that the world woke to read of.

But then again, I am not entirely sure what you really mean that they need to start gathering intel for us. Intel is intel . . . how much more intel can you get for you to be sure it is for you? If a person steps in a room and shouts "A BOMBER IS COMING and he is right outside the door", what more do you want to hear to know that it is probably a good idea for you to find somewhere to hide away from the blast?

Stop saying they need to this and that! The security agenciies have been working with your SSS for years now. this is not some future event to take place. It has already been working with your SSS but apparently, not much yield from the SSS end,
Re: Does Nigeria Needs Foreign Military Boots On Ground!? by IbroSaunks(m): 7:56pm On Nov 13, 2011
so what ur saying is, their troops should come but they shouldn't come? ur confusing me. if we haven't been taking it seriously, now is the time for us to start doing that!
Re: Does Nigeria Needs Foreign Military Boots On Ground!? by Kobojunkie: 8:05pm On Nov 13, 2011
IbroSaunks:

so what your saying is, their troops should come but they shouldn't come? your confusing me. if we haven't been taking it seriously, now is the time for us to start doing that!

What I am saying is we should do aware with the unnecessary fear mongering and start realizing that our situation is already bad -- worse state. Alquaeda is already in Nigeria . . . 1000's are already dying meaningless deaths. Corruption already steals much of what we have. Investors are still running away because our situation remains seriously unstable, and Boko Haram is already distracted the whole nation from tackling the major issues out there. We need to realize that we are already in deep shi**t and no among of manufacturing the absurd against the US here will make that reality go away.

Now, if we are ready to tackle this once and for all, then we should solicit help from anyone out there who can, and get to ridding ourselves of this menace once and for all. Or we could continue throwing rocks and stones at it until the next election or beyond that.
Re: Does Nigeria Needs Foreign Military Boots On Ground!? by Nobody: 8:20pm On Nov 13, 2011
Let's leave sentiment aside. It is obvious the country doesn't have the logistic and defense intelligence to fight this unrelenting suicide bombings. If I must choose, leaving out sentiment we are used to, I would allow those who are very good in handling the situation to take over.  There is not element of petroleum being stolen here but can't wait for the country to be plunged into a Somalia.

This a serious issue that needs  tough actions. The more the wait the more the increase in number of the innocent dying from the attack.
Re: Does Nigeria Needs Foreign Military Boots On Ground!? by IbroSaunks(m): 8:30pm On Nov 13, 2011
so ur argument is about what we should do and mine is about how they should do it.
in my opinion, what we need to do is to wake up. start taking it more seriously. I'm really an open minded person, but before we make a move, we have to consider many factors.
let them come, but not the boots guys!
its been nice discussing with u kobojunkie, without insults or anything.
Re: Does Nigeria Needs Foreign Military Boots On Ground!? by Kobojunkie: 8:46pm On Nov 13, 2011
Not really. My state is that we have had more than enough time throwing rocks and stones at the problem. The Problem has gotten WORSE, not better in those years. We have tried paying off terrorists. We have tried attacking em with our forces playing both sides in many of the cases. We have even one as far as to move much of our military might to the north. I think it is time we admit we do not have the skills to tackle this one and call in the squad.
Re: Does Nigeria Needs Foreign Military Boots On Ground!? by IbroSaunks(m): 9:11pm On Nov 13, 2011
we can argue this back and forth, but in the end na Wetin jona decide go happen. I just hope his future decisions will move us forward
Re: Does Nigeria Needs Foreign Military Boots On Ground!? by babaowo: 11:05pm On Nov 13, 2011
i like this topic and expecialy knowlegeable people like haka_nai and gbawe for thir contributions,because most ppl on n/l are naive who they don't know wots going on globaly. Kudos to haka_nai n gbawe, olohun koni gba la kaiye yin ooo!
Re: Does Nigeria Needs Foreign Military Boots On Ground!? by Gbawe: 11:06pm On Nov 13, 2011
This thread shows how many are discociated with the ethos of best practices , as per the implied contract of checks-and-balance responsibilities between those who lead and those they lead, in consonance with what obtains in laudable elective democracies around the world.

Have we asked a clearly incompetent Commander in chief , in the face of his glaring inaction and impotent dithering, to step down before our sovereign nation calls for assistance from outside the continent of Africa? how about our NSA and many others charged with ensuring Nigerians are safe? These guys are always coming a distant second to boko Haram repeatedly and we want to go and seek the help of a Nation (USA) that is now deemed to always arrogantly get it wrong , with deadly consequences, as per how it fails to understand that non- American problems must have non-American solutions tailored to their peculiar problems ?

Can all these clearly failing folks not make way for others so that we can at least ascertain whether the problem is an issue of leadership incompetence before we go assembling the World's armies on our soil? Is that not what would happen in sensible nation? I.e clearly incompetent leaders being forced out to make way for others who might be able to deliver? Why is getting rid of those who are clearly shown to be incompetent such a tabboo in Nigeria to the extent we are talking of inviting in foreign troop before getting rid of those who have failed woefully and trying others in their place? If Azzazi is failing woefully is that cause to draft in David Petraeus , while Azzazi still retains his job, when we have failed to consider the option of replacing the current NSA with another decent Nigerian intelligence expert ? 

The more some Nigerians talk in cyberspace , trying to appear intelligent, the more non-Nigerians will look at us as a foolish set of loudmouths. No one can solve this current problem but us Nigerians ourselves . It is simply an indictment of our bastardized mentality and poor self-belief that we wish to go running to the USA for help when there is still so much we have not done and are refusing outrightly to consider.
Re: Does Nigeria Needs Foreign Military Boots On Ground!? by Nobody: 11:46pm On Nov 13, 2011
^^^
I don't see anything rational in that comment! For how long are you going to wait and keep fooling me that there are other avenues not exploited? Come on! Not until the innocents are gone. Nigeria is not the only country in the world who would be asking for such help if the time is right - and the nation has proven it is incapable for finding solution. You would be the first to blame the govt of not calling for those who have the technical know-how on time if thing turned sour.

However, the nation needs help from outside to finding proper solution because this suicide thing is new to the country. The Western world have been fighting it for long and aware of their impact if not checked on time. I don't buy chicken talk man! Action speaks louder than word.
Re: Does Nigeria Needs Foreign Military Boots On Ground!? by Gbawe: 12:03am On Nov 14, 2011
all4naija:

^^^
I don't see anything rational in that comment! For how long are you going to wait and keep fooling me that there are other avenues not exploited? Come on! Not until the innocents are gone. Nigeria is not the only country  in the world who would be asking for such help if the time is right - and the nation has proven it is incapable for finding solution. You would be the first to blame the govt of not calling for those who have the technical know-how on time if thing turned sour.

However, the nation needs help from outside to finding proper solution because this suicide thing is new to the country. The Western world have been fighting it for long and aware of their impact if not checked on time. I don't buy chicken talk man! Action speaks louder than word.

My guy, are you happy and convinced this Government has bravely done everything in its power before we seek very drastic measures that may cause far greater chaos than we see now?  One example is how they tell us that they know the sponsors of Boko haram to include a former head of state.

Have these sponsors then being brought to book? How many Nations of the world would act as Nigeria is doing ? I.e indicating they know the identity of those causing death through terrorist acts yet failing to apprehend them ASAP and as a matter of urgency? Abject misrule , whether we want to admit it or not, has now , IMO, actually altered the way we think to the point we are able to make excuses for the incompetent misrulers causing the problems we are facing . Man mi, let them quickly assemble all the worlds army to come and help them conquer Boko Haram. They will only come to partner failures like Azzazi and the sum effect will be the overall failure we have seen in places like Iraq where lack of local cooperation rendered all American and allied military might impotent.
Re: Does Nigeria Needs Foreign Military Boots On Ground!? by Nobody: 12:07am On Nov 14, 2011
Gbawe:

My guy, are you happy and convinced this Government has bravely done everything in its power before we seek very drastic measures that may cause far greater chaos than we see now? One example is how they tell us that they know the sponsors of Boko haram to include a former head of state.

Have these sponsors then being brought to book? How many Nations of the world would act as Nigeria is doing ? I.e indicating they know the identity of those causing death through terrorist acts yet failing to apprehend them ASAP and as a matter of urgency? Abject misrule , whether we want to admit it or not, has now , IMO, actually altered the way we think to the point we are able to make excuses for the incompetent misrulers causing the problems we are facing . Man mi, let them quickly assemble all the worlds army to come and help them conquer Boko Haram. They will only come to partner failures like Azzazi and the sum effect will be the overall failure we have seen in places like Iraq where lack of local cooperation rendered all America's military might impotent.
It was the same lackadaisical idea that befell Somalia until it was outrun by the Al Shabab group. Not until the intervention of outside the Capital of that country would have still be more bloody that ever.
Re: Does Nigeria Needs Foreign Military Boots On Ground!? by CyberG: 12:52am On Nov 14, 2011
It is medicine after losing consciousness but better than after death: Jonathan is way over his head in this role and many of you have highlighted that and he should resign, compelled to resign, replaced, call it whatever! For the ambition of one person, the life and destiny of millions of people is being lost and more still to come! But it is appalling that you will still find people defending this obvious incompetence!

- Italian PM, Silvio Berlusconi resigned over the economic crisis of Italy.
- Recently, a Nigerian UK-based nurse was fired for not doing her job.
- A most appalling story is that of a System Admin who got fired within 2-3 days for not replying to his emails on time. What happened? Well, he couldn't figure out how to configure his mail client to the mail security protocol on the IMAP server. So while he could receive emails, the ones he sent were never actually "sent". When informed that he hadn't been responding to his emails was when he discovered the problem and tried to get help on a forum. He informed the forum that he was fired two days after!

So, when will Jonathan step down, resign or JUST GO!? He should never have been elected/rigged in before but that is past story now. At this rate, thousands of people might be killed before Nigerians have a chance to vote again 2014!
Re: Does Nigeria Needs Foreign Military Boots On Ground!? by AfroBlue(m): 4:43am On Nov 14, 2011
***[Steven Seagal | Mercenary For Justice]*** (2005) | Full Movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3Sb9oIbUwo&feature=player_embedded#!

Steven Seagal ,
John Seeger
Jacqueline Lord ,
Maxine Barnol
Roger Guenveur Smith ,
Anthony Chapel
Luke Goss ,
John Dresham
Michael Kenneth Williams ,
Samuel Kay
Adrian Galley ,
Bulldog
Langley Kirkwood ,
Kruger (as Langley Jack Kirkwood)
Vivian Bieldt ,
Dekerk
Verity Price ,
Female Assistant
Bruce Young ,
Chief of Police Malik
Peter Butler ,
Ahmet Dasan
Farouk Valley-Omar ,
Elder Butler (as Fahruq Valley-Omar)
Tumi Mogoje ,
Eddie Jones
Faye Peters ,
Shondra Jones
Zaa Nkweta ,
Radio Jones (as Zaa Nikweta)

Mercenary John Seeger is one of the best in the business. John and his crew are battling some French soldiers on the French-controlled Galmoral Island in Southern Africa as they're trying to rescue the French Ambassador -- there's a coup going on. John gets angry when some of his soldiers unload their machine guns into the Ambassador and his family, blowing the mission and getting his best friend Radio Jones killed. John goes back to the U.S.A. and goes to the home of Radio's wife Shondra, tells her the news, and then promises her that he'll take care of her and her son Eddie. But shortly after he makes that vow, Shondra and Eddie get kidnapped. They were kidnapped by a CIA faction led by CIA dirty deeds man John Dresham and his boss, CIA Black Ops producer Anthony Chapel, who want to force John into doing a mission for them. Kamal Dasan, the son of prominent gun runner Ahmet Dasan,
Re: Does Nigeria Needs Foreign Military Boots On Ground!? by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 4:56am On Nov 14, 2011
Afro_Blue:

***[Steven Seagal | Mercenary For Justice]*** (2005) | Full Movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3Sb9oIbUwo&feature=player_embedded#!

Steven Seagal ,
John Seeger
Jacqueline Lord ,
Maxine Barnol
Roger Guenveur Smith ,
Anthony Chapel
Luke Goss ,
John Dresham
Michael Kenneth Williams ,
Samuel Kay
Adrian Galley ,
Bulldog
Langley Kirkwood ,
Kruger (as Langley Jack Kirkwood)
Vivian Bieldt ,
Dekerk
Verity Price ,
Female Assistant
Bruce Young ,
Chief of Police Malik
Peter Butler ,
Ahmet Dasan
Farouk Valley-Omar ,
Elder Butler (as Fahruq Valley-Omar)
Tumi Mogoje ,
Eddie Jones
Faye Peters ,
Shondra Jones
Zaa Nkweta ,
Radio Jones (as Zaa Nikweta)

Mercenary John Seeger is one of the best in the business. John and his crew are battling some French soldiers on the French-controlled Galmoral Island in Southern Africa as they're trying to rescue the French Ambassador -- there's a coup going on. John gets angry when some of his soldiers unload their machine guns into the Ambassador and his family, blowing the mission and getting his best friend Radio Jones killed. John goes back to the U.S.A. and goes to the home of Radio's wife Shondra, tells her the news, and then promises her that he'll take care of her and her son Eddie. But shortly after he makes that vow, Shondra and Eddie get kidnapped. They were kidnapped by a CIA faction led by CIA dirty deeds man John Dresham and his boss, CIA Black Ops producer Anthony Chapel, who want to force John into doing a mission for them. Kamal Dasan, the son of prominent gun runner Ahmet Dasan,

what does thais have to do with the thread?
Re: Does Nigeria Needs Foreign Military Boots On Ground!? by saintohia: 9:48am On Nov 14, 2011
Quote 4m Gbawe

The more some Nigerians talk in cyberspace , trying to appear intelligent, the more non-Nigerians will look at us as a foolish set of loudmouths. No one can solve this current problem but us Nigerians ourselves . It is simply an indictment of our bastardized mentality and poor self-belief that we wish to go running to the USA for help when there is still so much we have not done and are refusing outrightly to consider.

The greater problem is that we don't have an intelligent president & most Nigerian don't comprehend global politics. The Nigerian problems can be solve 100% by Nigerians without involving even foreign intelligence network not 2 talk of boots. I wish even half of Nigerians wld understand the long term effect (compounded issues, more enslavement, increased conflict / death) of involving fereign boots.
Re: Does Nigeria Needs Foreign Military Boots On Ground!? by Nobody: 4:25pm On Nov 14, 2011
^^^
Please, help me to understand that? Don't tell me stealing of oil or natural resources - that i would not listen to.
Re: Does Nigeria Needs Foreign Military Boots On Ground!? by Kobojunkie: 4:44pm On Nov 14, 2011
saintohia:

The greater problem is that we don't have an intelligent president & most Nigerian don't comprehend global politics. The Nigerian problems can be solve 100% by Nigerians without involving even foreign intelligence network not 2 talk of boots. I wish even half of Nigerians wld understand the long term effect (compounded issues, more enslavement, increased conflict / death) of involving fereign boots.

I am also curious. How do Nigerians go about solving this terror? What do we do that we are/have not already done?
Re: Does Nigeria Needs Foreign Military Boots On Ground!? by Bawss1(m): 5:24pm On Nov 14, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I am also curious. How do Nigerians go about solving this terror? What do we do that we are/have not already done?

*How about us getting people who are properly qualified for the job. Here I refer to the police boss Ringim, he has been allowed to keep his job despite the glaring failures that occurred under his watch.
*There has been much talk in some quarters about a police reform project - how about honestly implementing that?
*The Israelis have been able to check terrorist aggression to a reasonable extent by not compromising on their security, we can borrow a leaf from their book.
Before a counter is raised for the points above I will add this; what will the US do in our case that will not inflame the situation further that they haven't done before in other countries (Iraq, Afghanistan)?

I share the view that bringing in the US will cause more harm than good for us here in the long run. A call for intelligence assistance however is acceptable .
Re: Does Nigeria Needs Foreign Military Boots On Ground!? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Nov 14, 2011
¨^^^
Look at what you are saying as if those were better options. Proper people(I don't get it) and you went ahead and list a policeman while a police headquarters was attacked without anything done by them. Reform for the police will take time and you are making it looks as if Nigerians play by the rules(which in the case of your suggestion all I see is procrastination rather than affirmative action),etc. You are saying let it be like this when it is like that! Come on! Give me other positive paths or avenues to finding solution to these Boko Haram attacks in Nigeria.

Don't bring Iraq into it - Sadam Hussien was a wicked man. On Afghanistan, what actually was wrong?What about Pakinstan?Among those three countries two are more powerful than Nigeria militarily.
Re: Does Nigeria Needs Foreign Military Boots On Ground!? by Beaf: 5:36pm On Nov 14, 2011
saintohia:

What deeper slavery is there than what the average Nigerian citizens day to day life is, even without boko haram? Wikileaks has told you that Shell is in control of practically every nook and crany of the country. Dude, you are already a slave, a phucking item in Shell's inventory. What slavery are you talking about? What secrets do you think we have to hide from foreigners that they don't already know before us?

GEJ is having to start healing the country from below ground level; it would make us shallow not to see the deep abyss Nigeria already finds itself within. Slavery my foot!
Nigeria is a country so bastardised that we have no functioning institutions; such things get in the way of corruption and have been uprooted for "free flow" decades ago, just take a look at our "police force," the same story can be told for our army, SSS, govt ministries and state govts.
How can a country that has zero institutions, zero organisation, and zero skills fight a highly skilled, organised and murderous al qaeda without help?
Much better organised countries have had difficulties, talkless of our chaotic system that we have made increasenly lawless over each decade of our existence.

It would be foolhardy to imagine that Nigeria can overcome al qaeda. We just don't have the tools.
Re: Does Nigeria Needs Foreign Military Boots On Ground!? by Kobojunkie: 6:59pm On Nov 14, 2011
Bawss1:

*How about us getting people who are properly qualified for the job. Here I refer to the police boss Ringim, he has been allowed to keep his job despite the glaring failures that occurred under his watch.
---- The last 12 years, security has plummetted country-wide. Ringim came into the picture during that period. Praytell, how do you know he is capable of fighting this scourge? Do you have absolute evidence of this? Or are you proposing we bring him back in yet another attempt at throwing stones at the problem to see which one will stick? :/

Bawss1:

*There has been much talk in some quarters about a police reform project - how about honestly implementing that?
---- We have lost/spent billions on that police reform project(thrown more stones at that problem) and still we are as if we never even attempted any solution. So how exactly does throwing more money, I mean more stones in that same direction mean we are doing things any differently?
Bawss1:

*The Israelis have been able to check terrorist aggression to a reasonable extent by not compromising on their security, we can borrow a leaf from their book.
I believe we have made claims of borrowing from the israelis on this so many times before now and we have not gotten anywhere yet. And I do hope you are not going to suggest we bring in Israeli troops to help in this case. I don't need to tell you how much more volatile that could be.

Bawss1:

Before a counter is raised for the points above I will add this; [b]what will the US do in our case that will not inflame the situation further that they haven't done before in other countries (Iraq, Afghanistan)?
I share the view that bringing in the US will cause more harm than good for us here in the long run. A call for intelligence assistance however is acceptable .

You ask what the US can do in this case that will not inclame the situation, and I ask what if you now believe that Afghanistan and Iraq can be compared in anyway with the current Nigerian situation as you attempt.

A call for intelligence assistance? What about all the intelligence information we have been provided with the last year and more? isn't that the same old we have been doing?
Re: Does Nigeria Needs Foreign Military Boots On Ground!? by Gbawe: 7:16pm On Nov 14, 2011
all4naija:

¨^^^
Look at what you are saying as if those were better options. Proper people(I don't get it) and you went ahead and list a policeman while a police headquarters was attacked without anything done by them. Reform for the police will take time and you are making it looks as if Nigerians play by the rules(which in the case of your suggestion all I see is procrastination rather than affirmative action),etc. You are saying let it be like this when it is like that! Come on! Give me other positive paths or avenues to finding solution to these Boko Haram attacks in Nigeria.

Don't bring Iraq into it - Sadam Hussien was a wicked man. On Afghanistan, what actually was wrong?What about Pakinstan?Among those three countries two are more powerful than Nigeria militarily.

This is why Nairaland is like banging one's head against the wall !!!! So much ignorance !!!! Bawss1 is telling you the gospel truth !!! We have done this Hafiz Ringim issue to death !!!! It has been proven , beyond doubt, that he is not qualified to be IGP and far better Policemen where made redundant to accommodate him. Neither do we have the best defense Minister in place if merit and ability overrides everything else. Instead the defense Minister we currently have , a classic AGIP, was only dashed the job because of his 'effort' towards GEJ's electoral 'victory'. Why should clued up Nigerians then support foreign help when we have a President who is incompetent and , at every chance, installs equally incompetent folks into very important postions? Should we not ask them all to go first? Would that not be the starting point , towards an enduring solution, for most sane Nations and folks?

http://saharareporters.com/report/why-hafiz-ringim-not-good-choice-igp

Why Hafiz Ringim Is Not A Good Choice As IGP
Posted: September 19, 2010 - 01:43
Concerned Nigerians

On the 8th of September 2010, President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan surprised the whole nation and the security community, when he announced the sack of all service chiefs alongside the IGP and Director of SSS, and immediately replaced them with new ones.

The decision to change some of the service chiefs, particularly the Army Chief and the IGP was most welcome, as both of them had clearly demonstrated that they were not fit for the offices. The COAS for treasonable acts against the Nigerian constitution and the former IGP for clear incompetence and ineptitude. However, the choice of Mr Hafiz Ringim, a junior Officer in the hierarchy, as Acting IGP introduces a very grave and dangerous precedent into an already sick organization like the Police Force.

On the surface, it would appear has if all the nine people senior (DIGs Uba Ringim, Israel Ajao, Uzoma Declan, Haruna Ahmadu, Olusegun Efuntayo and Udo Ekpoudom plus AIGs Mrs Ivy Okoronkwo, Azubike Udah and Dawodu) to Mr Hafiz Ringim, are being punished alongside Mr Onovo for the failures of the Nigerian Police Force under Onovo’s leadership to deal effectively with any of the internal security challenges we have faced in the last one year, i.e. kidnapping and armed robbery, sectarian and religious killings, political murders, wanton abuse and extortion of commuters by police personnel on major highways and roads and in the last couple of weeks, disrespect for the judiciary. A critical and proper analysis of the police operations will reveal that none of these officers could be directly held responsible, as any IGP, whether competent or incompetent is like an Emperor over the Force, just like we find in all areas of public institutions in Nigeria. This writer has had the privilege of attending a briefing as a member of a specialized unit within the Force, to sit in a conference where the former IGP together with his “Management Team”, comprising the six DIGs and the Force Secretary met with a group of Foreign Security partners in the IG conference room. It is instructive to point out that for the whole three hours that the conference lasted, only the IG spoke on behalf of the Nigerian Police Force, not a single word or comment from any member of the “management team” was solicited or requested. We all sat through the briefing listening to our IG interacting with his visitors, at some point a couple of Officers on the Nigerian side were struggling to stay awake including the very senior officers. It is instructive to point out too, that Mr Onovo’s failure was predicted by people in the security community, but the warnings were not heeded by late President Yar-adua. In the days leading to Okiro’s retirement, many security commentators warned that Onovo, although first in line by seniority, wasn’t the best fit amongst the DIGs for the job, because he had competence gaps in field operations caused by lack of command experiences. His only stint was as CP Ogun for a very brief period, before he was posted to NDLEA as head. He returned after many years in 2001 to headquarters as an AIG, shortly after he was promoted DIG in 2002, and remained at HQ until he was made IG in August 2009. His operational deficiencies were further compounded by two major issues; one was his refusal to allow his more experienced DIGs have an active role under him. He was always afraid that they might outshine him and get noticed, secondly, he elevated Police contract to the fore of his agenda and gave it primary attention while crime fighting was secondary.

All the foregoing are necessary in order to expose the critical lack of thinking/analysis or perhaps debased parochialism displayed by the Presidency in appointing Hafiz Ringim as the new Acting IGP, thereby signing the death-warrant of an organization that has been on death-row for many years.

We have to consider also the white paper in the aftermath of work of the Police Reform Committee headed by Retired IGP M.D Yusuf and comprising sixteen other distinguished members of the security community. That committee, after many months of deliberations and spending tax payer’s money, made many recommendations. One of the major highlights of that report was the one on appointment of IGP which states that in the best interest of the Police Force, Society and Country, SENIORITY AND MERIT must be uppermost in choosing all future IGPs particularly where there is no case of established misdemeanors against any officer in contention.

Let us now subject the appointment of the new Acting IGP, Mr Hafiz Ringim to the scrutiny of this litmus test to see if it can pass as a Nation building decision.

[b]FACTS OF THE MATTER:

•    Mr Hafiz Ringim was officially number ten (10) in the Police hierarchy at the time he was appointed Acting IGP, which means he jumped over nine (9) other officers in reaching his current post.

•    In the top ten list, he was the least qualified academically, as his highest Educational qualification is an Advance Diploma, while the nine officers before him have at least a University degree, a couple of them actually have Masters degree. He enrolled in the force as Cadet Inspector with a School Cert, while the nine Officers he jumped over each enrolled as Cadet ASP because of their University degrees.

•    Was he demonstrably better than all the Officers he jumped over? A very simple look at all the Officers and their previous postings and achievement in crime fighting will reveal the injustice in his appointment. His last posting, until his appointment as IGP was as AIG Zone 9 which comprises Abia, Imo, Enugu, Ebonyi and Anambra State. The Zonal command was at Umuahia, Abia State. On the day he was appointed Acting IGP, banks in Aba, Abia State, had not operated for a week, due to the challenge of armed robbery. It was under his watch that four journalists were kidnapped in Abia State, till date, do we know the people who kidnapped the journalists?? Do we know where they were kept while in captivating? Oh I forgot, the journalist have being released, no wahala, life can go on. In more serious countries, Mr Hafiz Ringim will be accounting for his cluelessness and ineptitude in Zone 9, and not sitting in the comfort of the pent-office of Louis Edet House as IGP. By contrast, the nine Officers he jumped over didn’t have such glaring operational encumbrances; most of them had very measurable achievements in crime fighting in previous Command and Zonal postings.

•    Were his remaining service years longer than that of the nine individual Officers? The answer again is no, because he has only two years left in service, while all the people he jumped over have more years than himself. Infact, two of the now retired six DIGs each have five (5) years left in service, another two have between three and four left, while the AIGs ahead of him all had more time left in service.

What are the implications for the Police Force if his appointment is ratified?

It is the considered opinion of this writer that the decision if approved by the Police Council and the National Assembly has the potential to:

•    Effectively rob the Police Force of almost twenty (20) years of service, thereby greatly undermining the capacity of the Force to properly groom it’s next generation of Officers, as the six DIGs have between them that amount of time left, but they are being forced to retire voluntarily, so as not to suffer the indignity of saluting and reporting to their less qualified junior.

•    Undermine productivity, efficiency, commitment and dedication to service from henceforth, as it will soon become glaring to all the remaining Officers who are currently jubilating that there will be mass promotion, that there is no longer job security and guaranties for finishing careers even without any clear case of misdemeanor. Instead Officers reaching the end of their careers will concentrate more energy and Government time in growing their own private enterprise.

•    Fuel more corruption in the force, as Officers now have justification to abuse their commission in order to quickly accumulate resources for their retirement. Although it must be noted that corruption and the Police are like Siamese twins, this situation will take it a whole new level, and the Force might never recover again.

What can be done to mitigate this potential damages??

•    This writer believes that in the best interest of the Force, Society and Country, all men and women of goodwill with access to the President, should plead with him to reconsider the appointment again. Else historians will record this as another negative watershed in the life of the Nigerian Nation.

•    I believe also, that the time has come for us as a Nation to start looking at the workability of State or Regional Police as part of a truly restructured federation. This behemoth called the NPF is not working, changing the IGP and sacking all his immediate subordinates is too cosmetic.
[/b]

Long Live the Federal Republic of Nigeria!
Re: Does Nigeria Needs Foreign Military Boots On Ground!? by Kobojunkie: 7:19pm On Nov 14, 2011
ROFLMAO!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Does Nigeria Needs Foreign Military Boots On Ground!? by Bawss1(m): 9:52pm On Nov 14, 2011
Kobojunkie:

---- The last 12 years, security has plummetted country-wide. Ringim came into the picture during that period. Praytell, how do you know he is capable of fighting this scourge? Do you have absolute evidence of this? Or are you proposing we bring him back in yet another attempt at throwing stones at the problem to see which one will stick? :/
undecided I am saying Ringim is incompetent.
Kobojunkie:

---- We have lost/spent billions on that police reform project(thrown more stones at that problem) and still we are as if we never even attempted any solution. So how exactly does throwing more money, I mean more stones in that same direction mean we are doing things any differently?
And if we honestly pursed those projects then we won't make any progress? The keyword here is honestly.
Kobojunkie:

I believe we have made claims of borrowing from the israelis on this so many times before now and we have not gotten anywhere yet. And I do hope you are not going to suggest we bring in Israeli troops to help in this case. I don't need to tell you how much more volatile that could be.
I'm certainly not calling for Israeli troops. Goodness no! That's an even worse 'solution' not to mention untenable even for the Israelis. What I meant is that we adopt their approach to tackling terrorism - closely guarded borders, first rate security agencies, nationwide surveillance etc.

Kobojunkie:

You ask what the US can do in this case that will not inclame the situation, and I ask what if you now believe that Afghanistan and Iraq can be compared in anyway with the current Nigerian situation as you attempt.

Afghanistan and Iraq are two different countries and situations but the underlining similarity between the two of them and Nigeria (if we allow US troops in) is that they are now theaters for the terrorist attacks against US forces and their citizens will have to accept this as their new reality.

Kobojunkie:

A call for intelligence assistance? What about all the intelligence information we have been provided with the last year and more? isn't that the same old we have been doing?

The fault remains ours that we did nothing useful with all the intelligence information you say we were provided with. Would the right thing to do now not be to make proper use of all this information?

Bottom line is that unfortunately we have not tackled this terrorism issue honestly. A solution can be found by ourselves if we are committed, but instead we are now calling for US troops. Besides even the Americans will not want to send their troops on what could easily prove to be a futile and expensive exercise in global policing.
Re: Does Nigeria Needs Foreign Military Boots On Ground!? by Kobojunkie: 10:12pm On Nov 14, 2011
Bawss1:

Bottom line is that unfortunately we have not tackled this terrorism issue honestly. A solution can be found by ourselves if we are committed, but instead we are now calling for US troops. Besides even the Americans will not want to send their troops on what could easily prove to be a futile and expensive exercise in global policing.

The Bottom line is we have spent the past 12 years showing that we are currently incapable of tackling the issue honestly. In that time 16000 or more lives have been wasted, and this is not in a nation at war. Continuing to demand we keep trying, given what we have learnt so far of the level of incompetence our system breeds, is akin to suggesting we keep throwing stones/ doing the same old things we have done in the past -- Nigeria is not going to change overnight now -- but expecting automagic change. So, unless you are advocating we continue this experiment, allowing these hoodlums spill more blood on our streets, while we wring our hands, I suggest we get help, and now is as good a time as ever to get it.
Re: Does Nigeria Needs Foreign Military Boots On Ground!? by saintohia: 8:54am On Nov 15, 2011
Quote 4m Beaf

GEJ is having to start healing the country from below ground level; it would make us shallow not to see the deep abyss Nigeria already finds itself within. Slavery my foot!
Nigeria is a country so bastardised that we have no functioning institutions; such things get in the way of corruption and have been uprooted for "free flow" decades ago, just take a look at our "police force," the same story can be told for our army, SSS, govt ministries and state govts.
How can a country that has zero institutions, zero organisation, and zero skills fight a highly skilled, organised and murderous al qaeda without help?
Much better organised countries have had difficulties, talkless of our chaotic system that we have made increasenly lawless over each decade of our existence.

I got that, do u think involving foreign boots wld solve Nigerian problems? Capital NO, b/c our problems are not limited to Boko Haram, as u mentioned too. Regulating or even making BH not to exist wld not bring the change everybody is crying for in Nigeria, Nigeria need to be liberated of corrupt, selfish & bad leaders to force it metamorphosize into what we want, this we can't achieve by bringing in foreign boots, its a task we must perform ourselves to get the required results if we must continue to exist as one country uh. NOBODY CAN SOLVE your PROBLEM BETTER THAN U, unless u didn't create the problems urself, else u understand the problem better than any other person, ok? But u can seek for advice which u wld still evaluate to know if it wld give u the result u want.
Re: Does Nigeria Needs Foreign Military Boots On Ground!? by saintohia: 9:07am On Nov 15, 2011
Quote 4m Kobojunkie

What we can do differently that we've not done is intead of involving foreign boots, pick up all the BH sponsors & bring them to book, that way u've grounded them & others who intend sponsoring them in future wld change their mind, as the govt is doing that they've to be sure they're living above board by stopping & regulating all forms of corruption. Remember if the govt is playing all her cards right (doing the right thing) everybody wld be happy & wldn't remember if the president is 4m his tribe or not. The most serious problem of Nigeria isn't even BH, I hope u know, till now Nigeria doesn't have a functional constitution enacted by Nigerians themselves.

The second solution that we're yet to do is, hold a Sovereign National Conference, that way u wld know exactly what most Nigerians want.
Re: Does Nigeria Needs Foreign Military Boots On Ground!? by Gbawe: 9:51am On Nov 15, 2011
saintohia:

What we can do differently that we've not done is intead of involving foreign boots, pick up all the BH sponsors & bring them to book, that way u've grounded them & others who intend sponsoring them in future wld change their mind, as the govt is doing that they've to be sure they're living above board by stopping & regulating all forms of corruption. Remember if the govt is playing all her cards right (doing the right thing) everybody wld be happy & wldn't remember if the president is 4m his tribe or not. The most serious problem of Nigeria isn't even BH, I hope u know, till now Nigeria doesn't have a functional constitution enacted by Nigerians themselves.

The second solution that we're yet to do is, hold a Sovereign National Conference, that way u wld know exactly what most Nigerians want.

My brother, there is no greater proof , than this thread, of how poor followership is equally to blame for Nigeria's woes as poor leadership. Ask all those making noise now and welcoming America to our shores: "where was your passionate protest when you were gaining a poor IGP, defense Minister et al "?

Scan Naiaraland archives and you will see clearly where I protested many times against the appointment of Ringim, as IGP, and our current defense minister because I made it clear that failing to appoint on merit will eventually "bite us all in the azz" !!!! It is the reason some African Nations are doing well i.e square peg in square holes !!!!

Here, folks are still showing the same basic lack of awareness as per their civic duty and responsibilities . What we should do, before even dreaming of foreign help, is to ask for the resignation of those who cannot arrest the sponsors of terrorisim they claim to know. We should also get rid of a clearly overwhelmed Police boss and NSA. Most Nations faced with this problem would accept that enough is enough. We have indulged mediocrity , for the sake of democracy, long enough.

No one owns any public office. If not performing adequately, ambitious Nations get rid of you. Berlusconi (Italy) and Papadreou (Greece) did not kill anyone. Yet they are gone. We have a very mediocre President who has watched helplessly as many repeated acts of terrorism, claiming lives, have been carried out successfully under his watch and we have the nerve to talk of foreign assistance? Abeg, us Nigerians should stop talking in cyberspace because we are simply inviting others to pity our bastardized mentality. Foreign boots my azz !!!!!!

Gbawe wrote:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-752368.32.html

Correct. In serious Nations , GEJ would not have been allowed to bypass merit to arbitrarily, without recourse to logic and performance parameters , appoint Ringim as IGP because that is the hallmark of a Nation planning to fail . It is tragic that the entire Political establishment had no problem with how the top Cop in the Nation is less competent, less qualified and junior , in every sense, to those above him yet Mr. President was still able to go ahead and appoint him. This is an example of "bow and go" acceptance of mediocrity , the PDP is famous for, now coming back to bite us all in the azz !!! What type of Nation is Nigeria where everyone watched as GEJ played politics with the office of IGP ?

GEJ was cynical in his appointment of Ringim. As usual , Mr. President cynically and callously played politics with a serious office because he needed to win an election. Now , GEJ should accept he failed with the appointment of so many mediocre individuals who are doing their jobs very badly . GEJ is , undoubtedly, the Architect of his own failures. GEJ should not get away with pretending he is part of the solution when he was part of the problem to begin with .

Shameless sycophant !!! Why does GEJ need enemies with sycophants like you , PointB and Beaf? Can one of you , if you actually have a shred of uprightness left, respond to the article that shows how Jonathan , out of "debased parochialism", gave us an IGP less qualified than many others superiors to him in rank, intelligence, crime fighting record and academic qualification?

Was Mr. President not planning to fail when he employed his IGP out of cynicism and opportunism rather than outright merit and competence? You lot are shameless. Your hero deliberately gave us the least competent Police boss possible out of those available . You shameless enemies of Nigeria should tell us why GEJ did that only to be pretending he is now bothered about Nigerians dying when he was not concerned about employing the best indivual to safegaurd their lives and property in the first place !!!!
Re: Does Nigeria Needs Foreign Military Boots On Ground!? by rivie0020: 12:18pm On Nov 15, 2011
To what end?
Re: Does Nigeria Needs Foreign Military Boots On Ground!? by Kobojunkie: 12:30pm On Nov 15, 2011
saintohia:

What we can do differently that we've not done is intead of involving foreign boots, pick up all the BH sponsors & bring them to book, that way u've grounded them & others who intend sponsoring them in future wld change their mind, as the govt is doing that they've to be sure they're living above board by stopping & regulating all forms of corruption.

I get the feeling you are commenting for the sake of it, not necessarily because you have actually thoroughly considered the situation we have found ourselves in.

What sponsors are you speaking of? Can you name one of them at least? We just ended a whole year of your politicians going back and forth in the media on who to blame for the quagmire. IBB, Atiku, and even Buhari were named as suspects, only it is been revealed that the government had no real evidence to back up the allegations that were openly made by some numbskulls in office. It was all character assassination(probably macho election moves)(typical of some goons down there) and nothing else. Don't you think we have beaten that horse enough??

It is clear that the sponsors, your Government does not know, except for the info that we have gotten from countries like Algeria, Israel, US etc that Alqaeda has a hand in this.

saintohia:

Remember if the govt is playing all her cards right (doing the right thing) everybody wld be happy & wldn't remember if the president is 4m his tribe or not. The most serious problem of Nigeria isn't even BH, I hope u know, till now Nigeria doesn't have a functional constitution enacted by Nigerians themselves.

If the Government is playing all her cards? Question: Since you were born, when has your Government played it's card right? When? When has everybody in any situation been happy that the Government was playing it's card right? Who gives a s*** where the president is from. What I am asking is why you are willing to wager the lives of thousands more, in a COUNTRY NOT AT WAR . . . on the idea that your Government will get it right, someday? Have a heart! People are dying NOW, not waiting till your Government gets it's act together, but right now.  A Bomb went off in another state just yesterday.

saintohia:

Yes, the third solution is we are yet to divide the nation, right? Please stop commenting if you are not even willing to live in the real world and acknowledge your reality.
Re: Does Nigeria Needs Foreign Military Boots On Ground!? by iykak47: 12:47pm On Nov 15, 2011
[/b]no[b]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Asari Dokubo Linked With $9.3M Detained In South Africa / Photo; See What These Military Officers Were Seen Doing With Female Companions / I Am Dying Of Landlord Problem, God Help Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 179
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.