Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,205 members, 7,873,915 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 09:05 PM

Lagos To Demolish Landmark Beach Resort For Coastal Road - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos To Demolish Landmark Beach Resort For Coastal Road (50239 Views)

Sand Filling Commences On Portions Of Landmark Beach Resort / This Is The Oyedepo Hangar They Plan To Demolish / A Day Out At La Campagne Tropicana Beach Resort, Ibeju-Lekki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Demolish Landmark Beach Resort For Coastal Road by Aussie2doc: 6:43am On Apr 06
Diligence:
When I remember Third Mainland Bridge, when I remember Lagos-Ibadan Express Way, messed up environment in the ND areas, #so many abandoned federal highways/roads... & suddenly, I hear of these coastal lines, I just conclude: Nigeria is always embarking on White Elephant projects they HV no plans at all to maintain/sustain.

Except Nigeria fixes the issue of Project Management & Controls, Public-Private synergy, Environmental Protection Responsibilities ...
You are a clown. Without third mainland bridge, how will landmark beach come into existence?
Without third mainland bridge , Lagos island would be a slum.
Same way the coastal highway will spring a lot of investments and connects states with ease of movement of both finished products and raw materials.

By the way, I am personally affected. We are also fighting to get government to realign the road away from our estate as much as possible. My main complaint was that they only gave us one week which is insane. You asked people to move in one week without any compensation yet. Where should they go to?

However, this issue of IGBO THIS, IGBO THAT IS SICKENING

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos To Demolish Landmark Beach Resort For Coastal Road by Blaze14k: 6:50am On Apr 06
Aussie2doc:

Just keep shut. I am Yoruba. My property worth 200 million is marked for demolition for the same coastal road. In my estate, more than 70 homes are marked and we were given one week notice too. The total estimated value by Federal ministry of works approved estate valuer is 16 billion. More than half of the properties are owned by Yorubas.

Just shut the Bleep up Tribalist

Dey dia dey yan dust.. did you read how many people they employ and u talking about ur stupid home
Re: Lagos To Demolish Landmark Beach Resort For Coastal Road by Jamie1000: 7:00am On Apr 06
Pay him his due compasation
Re: Lagos To Demolish Landmark Beach Resort For Coastal Road by dejol88: 8:30am On Apr 06
iReddington:
Do you know the magnitude of this project, the hundreds and thousands of jobs, real estate, motels, restaurants, fuel stations and other small businesses that will spring up along the coast in the entirety of the 9 states, do you guys think at all, you're bleating how investments and FDI but can the beach rival the economic benefits and upturn this massive project would bring to the country and all the all 9 states individually.
I don’t think so. The road will lead those things you mentioned
Re: Lagos To Demolish Landmark Beach Resort For Coastal Road by JetApartment: 8:41am On Apr 06
olisaEze:
"Valued at over $200 million, according to Onwuanibe, the Landmark site is home to over 80 businesses and provides more than 4,000 direct jobs. It also generates over 2 billion Naira ($1.5 million) in annual tax revenue"

They’re prepared to lose $1.5 million annually in tax and 4000 jobs in these hard times. Why, because Tinubu and his all Yoruba advisers are real dullards who will not stop until they see the country in ruins. Even the CNN reporter is shocked! Funny thing there is, they think they’re dealing with the Igbos, but I bet over 50% of those 4000 jobs sent into the unemployment market will be Yoruba.

Tribal bigotry is not good for your health.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Demolish Landmark Beach Resort For Coastal Road by agabusta: 10:01am On Apr 06
onuman:

Roads are built to connect important cities not just to connect Oil producing Rivers state to Lagos.
Why not build a Lagos-Ijebuode-Benin-Onitsha--Nnewi-Orlu-Owerri-Aba-Portharcourt superhighway?

So connecting Lagos, Edo, Delta, Bayelsa, Rivers and Cross Rivers by a super highway, which also has a railway does not make sense to you?

Can you quantify the Trillions of investment that the Lekki Epe Expressway way that Tinubu did in early 2000s added to the Nigerian economy?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos To Demolish Landmark Beach Resort For Coastal Road by agabusta: 10:39am On Apr 06
lexy2014:

what will be the economic value that the road will bring?

My goodness! Are you seriously asking?

A superhighway linking the coastal region of Nigeria.

It will bring Trillions in investment along the corridor!

It may even lead to the springing up of more viable cities along the corridor.

When the Lekki-Epe Expressway was built, the economic prosperity it brought is still being experienced today.

This road will bring x 5 of that.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Demolish Landmark Beach Resort For Coastal Road by Maski87: 10:45am On Apr 06
The problem is they will demolish the property and in the next 30 years they still will be talking about building a super highway
Re: Lagos To Demolish Landmark Beach Resort For Coastal Road by agabusta: 10:48am On Apr 06
udomonday:
Nigerian govt is dumb,they can still find a way to build that road without destroying landmark beach,they can build a massive fly over across the landmark beach area and continue their road there after.

Flyover of 10 lanes and rail track because of landmark. Do you have an idea of how much this will cost??

There's what is called overriding public interest in governance.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Landmark Beach Resort For Coastal Road by agabusta: 10:51am On Apr 06
Energist:

Not really a white elephant, but it will later be abandoned. What's the essences of doing a new route for say Benin - Warri or the East West road? All the main towns are already connected. The project is meant to develop Lagos. That's just it. If the SSers are smart, they should ask Tinubu to start the project from the Calabar end also, with priority given to the railway.

Lagos is more economically important. It is better to start at the Lagos end.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Demolish Landmark Beach Resort For Coastal Road by lexy2014: 10:54am On Apr 06
agabusta:

My goodness! Are you seriously asking?

A superhighway linking the coastal region of Nigeria.

It will bring Trillions in investment along the corridor!

It may even lead to the springing up of more viable cities along the corridor.

When the Lekki-Epe Expressway was built, the economic prosperity Iit brought is still being experienced today.

This road will bring x 5 of that.

yes I am seriously asking.

which part of lekki expressway are you referring?

what investment did it bring and where exactly did it bring the investment to?

what are the "Trillions in investment" that the road will bring along that corridor?
Re: Lagos To Demolish Landmark Beach Resort For Coastal Road by agabusta: 11:08am On Apr 06
Lavor234:
is the road worth the economic value of the resort? What is the rationale for the wanton destruction? May God help us in this country

You guys are not long term thinkers.

If there was no road to the current Landmark, will the investment be worth it?? Infact, those places are not realising their full potentials because access to the place from Ahmadu Bello way VI has to first go to Eko Hotel roundabout, which has never made sense to me.

After that road is completed, it will lead to the creation of 100 Landmark Centres along that corridor employing thousands and thousands of people and creating additional commercial activities. With that road, you can travel to Epe in just 30mins.

Have you ever tried to go to Landmark during the festive period? Does it make sense to stay in traffic for 3 hrs just to access resort/relaxation centres? This discourages people and therefore making the investments in resorts along this corridor not to be maximising their potentials.

With this kind of road, people will be encouraged to patronise resorts along this line due to ease of access and will increase economic activities. It is economic activities that brings the much needed employment we need. This is how govt creates employment.

Govt cannot create employment by magic and wishful thinking, neither can the govt employ everybody. It is when they invest in projects that stimulate economic activities that they indirectly create jobs!

That Lekki corridor opened up due to that Lekki highway that Tinubu did. That road increased the value of that entire axis with trillions of investment flowing in even till date. That was same way people thought Tinubu was mad when they needed to demolish some powerful people's houses on that Ozumba to give way to that road.

Today, the Lekki corridor has created thousands and thousands of investments and jobs. Even this current Landmark is a beneficiary of that Lekki-Epe express.

Splendid infrastructure is what invites investments anywhere.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos To Demolish Landmark Beach Resort For Coastal Road by agabusta: 11:12am On Apr 06
Gerrard59:

The original plan did not involve Landmark resort areas. That is Paul's first and main grouse. The second is the short notice to vacate the property. The third is that he obtained the licence to develop the property in 2007 meanwhile the project was conceived more than forty years ago, and first approved by Jonathan.

Are you familiar with that place?? Where else will the road go through?? The middle of the Atlantic ocean?

Or they should now cancel the water corporation road, which is more of a community road. Even if they utilise the water corporation road, it will still cut into Landmark due to the magnitude of this superhighway.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Demolish Landmark Beach Resort For Coastal Road by ebijimi7(m): 11:18am On Apr 06
Tearing down a tourist destination in lagos is not a good idea at all what happened to other beaches
Re: Lagos To Demolish Landmark Beach Resort For Coastal Road by agabusta: 11:20am On Apr 06
drlateef:

Please shut up. You are the real dullard. At what cost? That’s the question you should ask if you are not a dullard. That road project will most like attract more jobs than the whole of that resort. Secondly the multiplier effects of the road on Nigerian economy is far far greater than the $200 million resort. Several millions will use the road daily. The effect on the economy is uncountable. That’s how wise people think.

I'm just confused. It seems the general level of intelligence and knowledge is going down the drain in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Demolish Landmark Beach Resort For Coastal Road by agabusta: 11:26am On Apr 06
IbeOkehie:
I doubt there will be any compensation. I read somewhere a long time ago that the LUA allows government to dictate any price for compensation.

State Governor must also give consent to any land transfer.

No Nigerian owns any land. When I read about this guy a few months back my immediate reaction was that he must have some political protection. Anyone can go find the thread and see my post. A new era has arrived I guess.

Investing in Nigeria is too risky. The ordinary people are even worse than government. I'm sure many have been tested by Nigeria. I don't understand the mass credulity. Whatever.

Good Luck to Nigerians

Govt owns all the land in Nigeria. Its only leased to people and organisations for a term on the land document.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Demolish Landmark Beach Resort For Coastal Road by agabusta: 11:30am On Apr 06
ebufa:

you tell this Lagos igbo to come home, they will abuse you and call you IPOB or ESN terrorist.....nngwa now! ee don happen! you go hold Sanwa olu for trouser! one nigeria na scam! How many yoruba people have that kind of investment in Enugu or even port harcourt! Igbo no dey hear word until the sharp needle of tribalism and nepotism enter dia eye and penetrate to the back of their skull!

Let him go and sue sanwaolu in ogboni infested Lagos judiciary! Paul oga Landmark you are a mumu man!!

The Paul man is far smarter than you that is calling him mumu. The irony of life eh. Who are you?? How many people are you providing jobs to have the moral ground to be calling owner of Landmark mumu?
Re: Lagos To Demolish Landmark Beach Resort For Coastal Road by agabusta: 11:34am On Apr 06
Originalsly:
Has the road even begun? .... why not complete the first phase? ... iconic road .... these politicians and their grandiose plans. What happen to Fashola's promise of sky scrapers lining the coast and rivaling Dubai? ... or the gondolas for mass transportation? When this man site is demolished and the road project is abandoned ... would the ones be preaching now be available for explanation?... or sunbathing in Dubai with the looted funds.

Construction has started.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos To Demolish Landmark Beach Resort For Coastal Road by Ilaje1: 11:39am On Apr 06
Those shouting Igbos are targeted, if you thr history of that place, you will know it belonged to the Ilajes (majority) the place where you have Landmark and environs was forcefully taken away from them that govt wanted to use the place. Instead they sold it to their cronies and themselves. So Landmark benefitted from the corruption. Few of these Ilaje people were moved to Majidun in Ikorodu as compensation. Imagine, from Island to majidun. While majority were not compensated. Most of those people now had to go start again and buy land in a bush called Ajah. I don't know about now, but in late 80s, early 90s even till 2000s, there was Ilaje bus stop and area in Ajah. Same reason you have many Ilajes at Majidun and Mile 12 axis. The injustice was too much. So Landmark benefitted from the injustice.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Demolish Landmark Beach Resort For Coastal Road by agabusta: 11:39am On Apr 06
indigenous234:
So the Beach resort didn't get building approval?... In as much as I feel for the guy seeing his hard earned sweat on the verge of being destroyed I can't but imagine if, just if, he had the wisdom to build it in Imo State.

If that investment is owned by an indigenous yoruba, would they not have found some solution to workaround not demolishing the place?.

The truth is such a bitter pill.

They bankrupted our fathers after the war by ceasing their wealth and only handing them 20pounds after the war and have been demolishing the businesses of the present generation. One day, just one day, Fathers and sons will say enough is enough.

Okay
Re: Lagos To Demolish Landmark Beach Resort For Coastal Road by agabusta: 11:44am On Apr 06
indigenous234:
Akun ruo ulo... Gerrard nwanne. Akun ruo ulo. The Southeast is such a fertile land for business and I wonder why our people want to die in Lagos. Nigeria has 36+1 states & Lagos is the largest economy followed by Imo State !!!.

Akun ruo ulo 💯

The return on investment in Lagos cannot be compared with anywhere else. Checkout all the billionaires from the SE and identify the percentage of those not having any business connection to Lagos. You'll see its a miniature percentage. These are core smart business people that are moved by business decisions and not primordial ethnic sentiments.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Demolish Landmark Beach Resort For Coastal Road by agabusta: 11:51am On Apr 06
dejol88:
I genuinely need someone to clarify why Nigeria at this time is embarking on this 1 trillion naira project. Do we really need this new road?

Yes we do.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Landmark Beach Resort For Coastal Road by agabusta: 11:53am On Apr 06
iReddington:
Do you know the magnitude of this project, the hundreds and thousands of jobs, real estate, motels, restaurants, fuel stations and other small businesses that will spring up along the coast in the entirety of the 9 states, do you guys think at all, you're bleating how investments and FDI but can the beach rival the economic benefits and upturn this massive project would bring to the country and all the all 9 states individually.

Apt!

Project that should bring excitement, some are whining. God! Will Nigeria ever progress like this?? Too many dull people.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Demolish Landmark Beach Resort For Coastal Road by agabusta: 11:54am On Apr 06
Aussie2doc:
You are a clown. Without third mainland bridge, how will landmark beach come into existence?
Without third mainland bridge , Lagos island would be a slum.
Same way the coastal highway will spring a lot of investments and connects states with ease of movement of both finished products and raw materials.

By the way, I am personally affected. We are also fighting to get government to realign the road away from our estate as much as possible. My main complaint was that they only gave us one week which is insane. You asked people to move in one week without any compensation yet. Where should they go to?

However, this issue of IGBO THIS, IGBO THAT IS SICKENING

Please preach it oh. Its unbelievable the things I'm reading on this thread.

The one week notice is really inhumane though.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Landmark Beach Resort For Coastal Road by Gerrard59(m): 12:22pm On Apr 06
Image123:

Hope you learned the meaning of that word? i have less patience and tolerance on this forum for sore losers infected by the Obi disease and hoping that the country doesn't prosper, so that they can gloat. If you are not one sorry. Observe the attached pictures and letters and stop crying more than the bereaved. The bereaved is complaining over 2weeks after notice, you are crying about 7days.

Typical Nigerian who suddenly loves the country after voting for an incompetent feudalist in the name of Buhari.

In end the case, nowhere in the letter by Landmark was two weeks stated. Instead, the LASG mentioned seven days.

Regarding the bold, I did not support Peter Obi to win the election as I knew he would not win. Not everyone who questions the present government's policies is Peter Obi's supporter, and even they (PO's supporters) have the right to question government's policies.

https://www.nairaland.com/7225545/why-peter-obi-step-down
Re: Lagos To Demolish Landmark Beach Resort For Coastal Road by Litmus: 1:07pm On Apr 06
agabusta:

Govt owns all the land in Nigeria. Its only leased to people and organisations for a term on the land document.

More like Custodian than owner. Govt owns only a part of all tribal ancestral lands, true. It effectively holds the rest in custody. Traditional owners are encouraged by the new Nigeria land law to register ownership of the largest part of thire land in custody of government, leaving a small part to government.

The new land law (1978) was instituted as a means of documenting Nigeria's lands and also to mitigate some of the old exploitative practices that saw traditional owners of the land continually reselling lands they already sold to individuals and business.

Currently, prospective land buyers can obtain C of O for government owned land or traditional officially owned land. Traditional owners do not own thire land until they register it with government ( it is a means of documenting and cataloguing). Government keeps a small portion of the land for itself. As a land buyer, you should do your due diligence before purchasing land even from traditional peoples that have officially owned thire land by registering it with government because they may deliberately or ignorantly sell you the bits of their traditional land government reserved for itself, see the bolded.

Government generally leases the land it owns to buyers i.e leasehold. Traditional owners that have officially registered their ancestral land and therefore own it, can sell you land out right i.e it becomes yours and your family's indefinitely.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos To Demolish Landmark Beach Resort For Coastal Road by agabusta: 1:54pm On Apr 06
Litmus:

More like Custodian than owner. Govt owns only a part of all tribal ancestral lands, true. It effectively holds the rest in custody. Traditional owners are encouraged by the new Nigeria land law to register ownership of the largest part of thire land in custody of government, leaving a small part to government.

The new land law (1978) was instituted as a means of documenting Nigeria's lands and also to mitigate some of the old exploitative practices that saw traditional owners of the land continually reselling lands they already sold to individuals and business.

Currently, prospective land buyers can obtain C of O for government owned land or traditional officially owned land. Traditional owners do not own thire land until they register it with government ( it is a means of documenting and cataloguing). Government keeps a small portion of the land for itself. As a land buyer, you should do your due diligence before purchasing land even from traditional peoples that have officially owned thire land by registering it with government because they may deliberately or ignorantly sell you the bits of their traditional land government reserved for itself, see the bolded.

Government generally leases the land it owns to buyers i.e leasehold. Traditional owners that have officially registered their ancestral land and therefore own it, can sell you land out right i.e it becomes yours and your family's indefinitely.

Thank you for shedding more light.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Landmark Beach Resort For Coastal Road by indigenous234(f): 1:57pm On Apr 06
You're right on the quick RoI in Lagos but that's exactly why they're (Igbos) having to grapple with the new reality of the Nigerian polity, post 2015. How did Nnewi develop?. Same scenario is playing out but our people presently are more concerned with a quick RoI. It's not primordial ethnic sentiment to take your investments where they're a lot more safer. It's basis instinct and economics.

Well, a better Nigeria is all I pray for.

agabusta:

The return on investment in Lagos cannot be compared with anywhere else. Checkout all the billionaires from the SE and identify the percentage of those not having any business connection to Lagos. You'll see its a miniature percentage. These are core smart business people that are moved by business decisions and not primordial ethnic sentiments.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Landmark Beach Resort For Coastal Road by Babinski: 2:05pm On Apr 06
tunjijones:
Did you read the write up?

Did you have imaginations of how the road wld be and how much economic value the road will bring. It 5 carriage on each lane. It even has a rail track in between the lanes.

This is a milestone project and it's highly commendable.

Sorry to Mr. Onwuanibe forr your loss. Am sure you will be compensated accordingly.

The earlier plan for the West African Highway of which this Lagos-Calabar Highway is a part, according to Paul Owuanibe, followed a path through Water Corporation Road which till today is undeveloped. Rather than kill a thriving business employing thousands, why not re-route and simply follow the Water Corporation Road as planned earlier? Particularly when there is nothing on that path presently.

https://www.pulse.ng/news/local/lasg-set-to-demolish-parts-of-landmark-for-lagos-calabar-highway-project/td9vnxt
Re: Lagos To Demolish Landmark Beach Resort For Coastal Road by Uchek(m): 2:17pm On Apr 06
Why would he need to file compensation for claims? Who gives a going concern 7-day notice that u want to acquire his land holding multi-million dollar businesses for public project?

The normal way to go in any civilized clime is enter into private discussion on the valuation of the business & how much govt will pay. right?

And if there is disagreement, the court is there to adjudicate on the issue, right? It shouldn’t even be a public affair, right? It should be strictly private discussion, right? Where in the world do you give 7-day notice to demolish a legally-owned property?

SmartyPants:
This is not about Paul Onwuanibe and his investment because he can file compensation claims and will likely receive it. This is about tearing down a magnificent structure like Landmark, which is such a credit to lagos. They shouldn't try it.
Re: Lagos To Demolish Landmark Beach Resort For Coastal Road by SmartyPants(m): 2:24pm On Apr 06
Uchek:
Why would he need to file compensation for claims? Who gives a going concern 7-day notice that u want to acquire his land holding multi-million dollar businesses for public project?

The normal way to go in any civilized clime is enter into private discussion on the valuation of the business & how much govt will pay. right?

And if there is disagreement, the court is there to adjudicate on the issue, right? It shouldn’t even be a public affair, right? It should be strictly private discussion, right? Where in the world do you give 7-day notice to demolish a legally-owned property?

Unfortunately, that is not true. Although I don't know what you are referring to as civilized climes, I can tell you that in the US and in the UK, just as in Nigeria, the government can unilaterally wake up and take any or the entirety of your land without your consent. You will merely be entitled to compensation. Look up the concept of eminent domain.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Demolish Landmark Beach Resort For Coastal Road by Bintasukai: 2:28pm On Apr 06
abbey621:

The guy don dey do am for years now, anytime I see him on a thread, I just avoid that thread.....It took a long time before I realized his pattern.....Any answer wey him no agree with, he'll keep asking the same thing over and over again.....Omo I ran for my mental health grin grin grin

No mind am

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Moremi Statue Of Liberty - Photos and Video of The Tallest Statue In Nigeria / US To Deport Foreign Students Whose Courses Go Fully Online / The Newly Commissioned Aboru-Abesan Link Bridge At Night (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.