Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,647 members, 7,834,140 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 11:38 AM

What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? (44564 Views)

The Only Type Of Nigerian Who Will Enjoy The Japa Lifestyle Of The West / The Japa After The Japa / Nigerian Youths And The ‘Japa’ Syndrome, By Fredrick Nwabufo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by headboyprince(m): 7:57am On Apr 28
highchief1:
for duplex or normal 3 bedroom.cos I have plenty guys der.ok lets assume ur two months rent pays one year rent is it funny?ur statement is full of insults.is mine full of insults?or is it the weed u smoke or I heard most Nigerians are now mad because of the economy.you could correct me or drop ur own facts without insults.Dont reply me again.you were not properly raised.
you deserve insults cos you're lying outrightly. ive seen your type plenty here. you guys just make things up to decieve people. why lie in the first place that huge.

and if you're paying 1 year rent in 2 months but you earn 7 million monthy averagely. lekki is a slum compared to toronto dont fool people here.

1 Like

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by hardon1(m): 8:00am On Apr 28
anamo:
Who else notice that the japa noise has reduced these days? Or people no longer japa again ? Before, anywhere you go on social media you’ll see things like “I don’t get these things, I just talk to a man who sold his 5 duplexes and 500 cars and 6 businesses in Nigeria to relocate to UK permanently “ “new dispensation”

Is it that people no longer japa ir they’re hiding it now?

U think everything revolves here in nairaland. Go embassies u go still shock
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by emmaodet: 8:00am On Apr 28
headboyprince:
where will you see 3million + job in nigeria. give me link ill apply lol.

You still don't get it.
It is relative.
I can keep dividing it till it gets smaller then maybe you will get the big picture.
While it is true that only a fraction of Nigerians can get a 3m per month job, then let's go further down.
A man earning $1000 in Nigeria is better than $3000 in Toronto.
Still very hard to get a $1000 job in Nigeria.
A man earning $500 in Nigeria is better than a man earning $1500 in Toronto.
Now, $500 job is not uncommon in Nigeria in some sectors.
Let's go further down.
A man earning $250 in Nigeria roughly 400k will live a better life than a man earning $750 in Toronto.
Infact from $1,500 downward in Toronto, you live will start becoming miserable but you can't say the equivalent in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by ChybuzzDD(m): 8:04am On Apr 28
tshtsh:

In my opinion, earning $2000 a month in lagos will offer a better quality life than $6000 in toronto. As for cities like Dar es salaam, nairobi and johannesburg the quality of life is much better than in all these western countries provided you are stable

You're right, but many won't believe you
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by headboyprince(m): 8:05am On Apr 28
ChybuzzDD:

Oboy, expenses are not in Naira there.

How about him earning the ''5 million'' there and spending ''4.8 million'' on bills monthly??
i dont get your logic. is money earned to be kept or be spent. this is the average or even low income we're talking about, if you earn 80k in nigeria will anything remain by month end. lol
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Mindlog: 8:08am On Apr 28
Kelechi009:

So far according to the UK threads, there are no jobs. Everyone cannot leave their career path to become a children social care worker, besides the 38k requirement is also an issue.

Let them wait at home while applying for their dream career jobs with their Nigeria certificates or degrees gotten in the UK that gives little chances for employment nor visa sponsorship. Let them not be realistic and get job roles that would give them higher chances for the skilled worker visas and grow career wise in that field., after 5 years and getting their indefinite leave to remain, they are free to pursue any career path of their choice.

Advised a Nigerian back in May, 2022 to take up an opportunity as a children residential support worker that offered a FREE 5 years skilled worker visa, he said he can't that he would be graduating with a MBA in July 2022, his UK student visa would expire in September 2022 and hoped on getting a post study work visa that would expire October 2024, he strongly believed he would get a corporate job here in the UK based on his investment banking experience + UK Masters......April 28th, 2024.....Bros, is still working as a security guard at a warehouse in Coventry, depressed as time is ticking and contemplated seeking asylum in Ireland after someone earlier this year scammed him of £8,700, promising to get him a care visa and he could not report to the police.

You are in a foreign land....be realistic, start somewhere!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Rejouir: 8:11am On Apr 28
anamo:
Who else notice that the japa noise has reduced these days? Or people no longer japa again ? Before, anywhere you go on social media you’ll see things like “I don’t get these things, I just talk to a man who sold his 5 duplexes and 500 cars and 6 businesses in Nigeria to relocate to UK permanently “ “new dispensation”

Is it that people no longer japa ir they’re hiding it now?
people are still leaving, on daily basis. But the high dollar rate has reduced the noise surrounding japa

1 Like

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Mindlog: 8:13am On Apr 28
femi4:
the job isn't meant for msc graduates

What is big about being a Msc graduate in the UK?

4 Likes

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by emmaodet: 8:17am On Apr 28
tensazangetsu20:

Exactly. It's stupid. Honestly it's just that Africa has no prospects and Nigeria itself is very very hopeless especially with this stupid APC government but I will say migration is really overrated men. I can't imagine selling my house and stuff and suffering like how others are suffering for this grin grin grin

Tbh, I am in-between.
I can't totally criticize those leaving nor call those staying back stupid.
Moving has it's merits and demerits just like staying back.
It is just for someone to weigh his options and know the pros and cons of their actions and ready to face it but generally, the advantage of going to western countries is -
1. Foreign certificate gives you better job with higher earnings.
2. Strong passport that won't make you to be wasting money on visas or delays or visa denial.
3. Their economy is so developed that you can virtually work in any sector and live a good life and can easily get a good job without connections or letters from kings/senator/governor/local government chairman just to get a decent job.

Those 2 points above are good points of moving.
In my career, using a Nigerian certificate has really cost me a lot and slowed down my progress and I know and see my colleagues with foreign certificates getting promoted faster than me and even earning better pay at the same level.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:23am On Apr 28
emmaodet:

Tbh, I am in-between.
I can't totally criticize those leaving nor call those staying back stupid.
Moving has it's merits and demerits just like staying back.
It is just for someone to weigh his options and know the pros and cons of their actions and ready to face it but generally, the advantage of going to western countries is -
1. Foreign certificate gives you better job with higher earnings.
2. Strong passport that won't make you to be wasting money on visas or delays or visa denial.
3. Their economy is so developed that you can virtually work in any sector and live a good life and can easily get a good job without connections or letters from kings/senator/governor/local government chairman just to get a decent job.

Those 2 points above are good points of moving.
In my career, using a Nigerian certificate has really cost me a lot and slowed down my progress and I know and see my colleagues with foreign certificates getting promoted faster than me and even earning better pay at the same level.

Lol this used to be true those days but men it doesn't fly anymore. There are Nigerians who didn't even go to school who are working in big companies. I know people in tech who didn't have any degree and are working at places like Google and Facebook and these are Nigerians o. The world now is mostly about the skills and value you have to offer and not necessarily the school you went. Yes, going to a top school helps but how many Nigerians migrating are going to top schools.

Strong passport is good but strong passport without money is useless lol. My target for a strong passport is strictly based on economic activities and not necessarily travelling. There are people with these passports who can't travel cause they are broke. Sapa is a worldwide phenomenon.

Economy is developed yes but no one is going to hand over anything to you. Believe me, you have to show and prove competence. There are people abroad in good countries who can't still get jobs but these time around you can't blame anyone like tunubu or phcn grin grin

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by emmaodet: 8:30am On Apr 28
tensazangetsu20:

Lol this used to be true those days but men it doesn't fly anymore. There are Nigerians who didn't even go to school who are working in big companies. I know people in tech who didn't have any degree and are working at places like Google and Facebook and these are Nigerians o. The world now is mostly about the skills and value you have to offer and not necessarily the school you went. Yes, going to a top school helps but how many Nigerians migrating are going to top schools.

Strong passport is good but strong passport without money is useless lol. My target for a strong passport is strictly based on economic activities and not necessarily travelling. There are people with these passports who can't travel cause they are broke. Sapa is a worldwide phenomenon.

Economy is developed yes but no one is going to hand over anything to you. Believe me, you have to show and prove competence. There are people abroad in good countries who can't still get jobs but these time around you can't blame anyone like tunubu or phcn grin grin

grin cheesy

All the points you raised are correct.
A strong passport is useless if you are broke.

4 Likes

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Kelechi009: 8:49am On Apr 28
Mindlog:

Let them wait at home while applying for their dream career jobs with their Nigeria certificates or degrees gotten in the UK that gives little chances for employment nor visa sponsorship. Let them not be realistic and get job roles that would give them higher chances for the skilled worker visas and grow career wise in that field., after 5 years and getting their indefinite leave to remain, they are free to pursue any career path of their choice.

Advised a Nigerian back in May, 2022 to take up an opportunity as a children residential support worker that offered a FREE 5 years skilled worker visa, he said he can't that he would be graduating with a MBA in July 2022, his UK student visa would expire in September 2022 and hoped on getting a post study work visa that would expire October 2024, he strongly believed he would get a corporate job here in the UK based on his investment banking experience + UK Masters......April 28th, 2024.....Bros, is still working as a security guard at a warehouse in Coventry, depressed as time is ticking and contemplated seeking asylum in Ireland after someone earlier this year scammed him of £8,700, promising to get him a care visa and he could not report to the police.

You are in a foreign land....be realistic, start somewhere!

Wait what 😳

8700 quid is a lot, please was he able to retrieve his money?

Please tell me this ends well 😔

3 Likes

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Mindlog: 9:18am On Apr 28
Kelechi009:

Wait what 😳

8700 quid is a lot, please was he able to retrieve his money?

Please tell me this ends well 😔

The money is gone for good, as he will never get it back.

1 Like

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Alusiizizi(m): 9:32am On Apr 28
tensazangetsu20:

UK is just an overrated country. Aside the presence of electricity I dont even see the difference between Nigeria and the UK. I have friends in the UK with the same experience level as I am and they cant even get a job interview despite being there for more than a year o. They will be saying UK experience. As if the javascript written in the UK is different from the one written in Nigeria. Canada is a much better place but an extremely difficult place to survive if you arent well loaded. Australia has made great changes to its post study scheme. I am so glad I followed an uncommon route and I like it so far.

So you are now in Australia? Ho are you coping with all those venomous snakes and other critters?

1 Like

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Autobot05: 9:34am On Apr 28
Very explainable … People that have the funds and gone already
E remain those struggling to find funds
And we wey nor get funds for that atall yet
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Alusiizizi(m): 9:40am On Apr 28
lastkingsman:

UK has tightened their immigration policies with recent salary threshold of £38700 and care COS restriction.

KPMG has even made it clear they won't hire overseas workers again. That's the resultant effect. The govt wants to push Brits especially people on benefits back to workforce. Apprenticeship especially where there's massive shortages is being supported.

That's the challenge we migrants are facing now and migrants that came especially last year is too high. So demand has significantly increased for declining opportunities (supply).

All these don't mean "apart from electricity, UK is the same as Nigeria". A single night shift here is what professional earn as monthly salary back in Nigeria (with over 50% inflation). Stop capping please.

https://www.personneltoday.com/hr/kpmg-cancels-job-offers-to-foreign-graduates/#:~:text=KPMG%20has%20stopped%20hiring%20overseas,an%20exception%20to%20this%2C%20however.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/prime-minister-to-announce-major-reform-package-to-boost-apprenticeships-and-cut-red-tape-for-thousands-of-small-businesses#:~:text=The%20Government%20will%20fully%20fund,to%20kick%20start%20their%20careers.

A single nightshift? What about the over 60% tax rate as well as all sorts of levies in addition to the higher cost of living that will leave you penniless even after working like a dog for more than twenty odd years?

2 Likes

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by IbeOkehie: 9:49am On Apr 28
tensazangetsu20:

This. They will calculate the exchange rate as if the money is being spent in Nigeria lol.

Well, if you have dependents in Nigeria and you remit them Chilean pesos, guess what? You're sending naira for those dependents to spend. This is so clear it requires little explanation.

So I don't understand this mantra of "earning abroad isn't spending naira". The fact is that all money is fungible. What really matters is how easy is it to earn money wherever you are

I have a cousin age 27 who migrated to UK last year, graduated from Unizik, no job for years.
Yes he works in a factory in UK and sends money to his mother and siblings. Are you telling me the garri his mother buys in the market is not bought with naira?

You do know there's MANY Nigerian men that live and work in the USA and UK but their wives and children are in Nigeria?

A pharmacist friend of mine just arrived here from Nigeria. I've known this man since maybe 2010. Every year he comes to the USA in April and leaves in October and maybe one or two other trips. He works for a temp agency, covering for American workers who go on spring and summer holidays. As far as I know that is his major income and his family lives in Nigeria. He earns dollars and spends naira!

Guy please think about it. Like it or not, the fact TODAY is that $350 = ₦500K. See me trouble o...money is money and it's easier to earn it in some places than others.

tshtsh:

In my opinion, earning $2000 a month in lagos will offer a better quality life than $6000 in toronto. As for cities like Dar es salaam, nairobi and johannesburg the quality of life is much better than in all these western countries provided you are stable

It's not gonna be easy to earn monthly pay of $2K or ₦3 million in Nigeria. How and in what industry or business🤔. I bet you it's not up to 0.1% of Nigerian adults earning that.

Good Luck to Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Princewill1(m): 10:09am On Apr 28
anonimi:

Do you know what QUALITY of life means?

How likely is it that freak accidents like what happened in PH recently with hundreds killed and vehicles destroyed, occurs in the japa destinations

To cite just one example o.

Do you know what QUALITY of life mean?

How likely is it for you to encouter a crazy mass shooter in a PH shopping mall who enters the mall with heavy gun and spread people with bullets killing hundreds and goods worth millions destroyed as it occurs regularly in America (one of Nigeria's popular Japa destination).

To cite just one example o.

6 Likes

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by highchief1: 10:23am On Apr 28
Taku555:

Can I email you?
sure.
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by highchief1: 10:26am On Apr 28
headboyprince:
you deserve insults cos you're lying outrightly. ive seen your type plenty here. you guys just make things up to decieve people. why lie in the first place that huge.

and if you're paying 1 year rent in 2 months but you earn 7 million monthy averagely. lekki is a slum compared to toronto dont fool people here.
the whole Nigeria is a slum.but that’s not the issue.how did I lie,earn high and spend high or earn low and spend low.u may never understand me.only God knows how old you are.Are my the one that said a few months ago that people in Nigeria are selling their houses to go abroad while people abroad are working hard to build in Nigeria.did u see the trend few months ago.I don’t have ur power go and enjoy ur Sunday pls.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by sunsweet33: 10:46am On Apr 28
PHIPEX:
People easily compare income in UK vs Nigeria without comparing expenses. What's the essence of earning so high when your expenditure is also so high and at the end of the day you have almost no savings?

The West from.time to time throw banana to Africans, attract our professionals to come and do their menial jobs. Once they get what they want they close the door. 10 years after, they open another window and the cycle continues. Modern day slavery

Also known as “neo-colonialism”. Too bad!
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by headboyprince(m): 11:23am On Apr 28
emmaodet:

You still don't get it.
It is relative.
I can keep dividing it till it gets smaller then maybe you will get the big picture.
While it is true that only a fraction of Nigerians can get a 3m per month job, then let's go further down.
Let's go further down.
A man earning $250 in Nigeria roughly 400k will live a better life than a man earning $750 in Toronto.
Infact from $1,500 downward in Toronto, you live will start becoming miserable but you can't say the equivalent in Nigeria.
mtcheew see this one. who earns $750 in toronto even beggers earn above that. you're comparing bank manager salary to a less than beggers salary. a city where teachers in toronto easily pocket $5k plus other employement benefits.

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Heffalump(m): 11:42am On Apr 28
pansophist:
Those that have money are doing it codely.

I have about five people in my hands that I am processing japa for through the student route. They don't make noise, because silence is security.

Japa happens, all the time. People leave the airport every day, they just choose not to make noise.

Leave the eediotts let them be bleating like hungry sheep. Empty vessels make the loudest noise. Those who got the cash and knew the danger hanging around Nigeria are taking their destinies in their hands. The issue is, if you can't help the system then garrout! That you are unfortunate to have a country like Nigeria doesn't mean your kids should continue to be like you.
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by lastkingsman: 11:44am On Apr 28
Alusiizizi:

A single nightshift? What about the over 60% tax rate as well as all sorts of levies in addition to the higher cost of living that will leave you penniless even after working like a dog for more than twenty odd years?

Which 60% tax rate? I don't understand.

1 Like

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by headboyprince(m): 11:44am On Apr 28
highchief1:
the whole Nigeria is a slum.but that’s not the issue.how did I lie,earn high and spend high or earn low and spend low.u may never understand me.only God knows how old you are.Are my the one that said a few months ago that people in Nigeria are selling their houses to go abroad while people abroad are working hard to build in Nigeria.did u see the trend few months ago.I don’t have ur power go and enjoy ur Sunday pls.
close your mouth you have nothing else to say. which celebrity will leave expensive lekki to go buy house in sokoto where things are cheaper. so a person earning 15k per month is better than someone earning 1 million because hes spending less?. you deserve through beatings tongue
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by femi4: 11:46am On Apr 28
Mindlog:

What is big about being a Msc graduate in the UK?
It's about working in your field. Square peg inside squre hole. Nothing beats working in your field
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Heffalump(m): 11:49am On Apr 28
emmaodet:

You still don't get it.
It is relative.
Let's go further down.

Honestly, we need people like you to keep deceiving others who are gullible, because everybody must not japa for sure. If all should leave, then who else will remain back home? This is why you're needed to continue with this dirty work of deception undecided

2 Likes

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Mindlog: 12:07pm On Apr 28
femi4:
It's about working in your field. Square peg inside squre hole. Nothing beats working in your field

Ask Nigerians that did their Msc here in the UK, how many of their course mates were British?

Anyone here in the UK with a NVQ Level 3 Diploma (equivalent to OND) in Electrical and Electronic Engineering ·will get employed before a Nigerian who obtained Msc Electrical and Electronic Engineering.

Go to many factories and warehouses in the UK and see many Nigerian Msc graduates working as packers to earn their honest daily bread with Eastern Europeans whey no enter university for one day, as their supervisors and managers. ·

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by BALLOSKI: 12:21pm On Apr 28
Treadway:
it is more due to the tightened immigration policies than the exchange rate. The majority were borrowing to travel, so exchange rate wouldn't have mattered if the rules didn't change. Over 80% of japa geng headed to the UK for one prime reason, i was very easy to do so, compared to the rigors of maxing out IELTS and still learning and acing French to be able to get into Canny for example, just to qualify ooo, aside all the money you will also spend.

Unfortunately, the UK has given japa geng sliding tackles since this year and that my friend is why everywhere quiet. I read here yesterday that a ton of Nigerians are now claiming asylum from the UK to enter Ireland, sotey that one sef don cast, expectedly and understandably so. How do you claim asylum from the UK ffs?🤦
😂 😂
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by BALLOSKI: 12:22pm On Apr 28
I've never doubted I'm gonna make it here - i'll make it here and when I'm going out, It's for fun.
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by highchief1: 12:38pm On Apr 28
headboyprince:
close your mouth you have nothing else to say. which celebrity will leave expensive lekki to go buy house in sokoto where things are cheaper. so a person earning 15k per month is better than someone earning 1 million because hes spending less?. you deserve through beatings tongue
ok sir.will u enjoy ur Sunday now?r u enjoying the attention I’m giving u?

1 Like

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by borie4u(m): 12:39pm On Apr 28
See I keep telling people that if U like let someone deceive U that Japa is bad. There is no where they will give U money on the street of UK but if U are hardworking and don't mind any job for starting U will break even. It may be rough at the beginning but it will get better. The greatest regret I ever had is believing Nigeria will get better and wasting large part of my life that things will work out. Left in my late 30s (39 years to be precise) and I now appreciate quality life. Can I ever stay in Nigeria again? I pray not. Is Japa worth it ? Big yes as I am a living testimony

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

New Pedestrian Bridge Along The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Lagos / Abroad Guys: Would You Relocate Back To Nigeria If Given $40k / So There Are Nigerians That Fly From Lagos To London Then To Abuja Than Direct?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.