Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,619 members, 7,941,378 topics. Date: Friday, 06 September 2024 at 04:54 AM

Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? (9282 Views)

Will Nigeria Ever Become A Developed Country? / Can Nigeria Become A Super Power Without Electricity? / A Developed And Educated North Is The Last Thing Yorubas And Igbos Want (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by Afam4eva(m): 5:39pm On Nov 22, 2011
aze:

Nigeria cn be a developed nation by 3040 after learning from Singapore, Malaysia, South Korea, Brazil, India.

I could care less if Nigeria develops after my generation is gone. As long as i won't enjoy it.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by 2goodbobo(m): 5:45pm On Nov 22, 2011
Nigeria can be a develope country if our leaders have the political will to do the right thing.been develope must not be a longtime thing for us cos we can be develope within the shortest time. It is all about adopting the models of d develope countries and put it to work. For a country to be term as develope,it has to be industrialise cos industrialisation is the base of any develope country. Thou develope could be measure in diff categories but the major yardstick of develope are 1.per capital income, death rate, high standard of living, access to good health care etc that forms the human developing index. In a notshell we can be develope if and I repeat if we can oust corruption in this country
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by hackney(m): 5:48pm On Nov 22, 2011
Revolutions occurr only in countries where the citizenry counts on the government.
Where some usefulness is expected of the govt.
Nigerians have never really counted on the govt for anything.

afam4eva:

I could care less if Nigeria develops after my generation is gone. As long as i won't enjoy it.

that is what 20 generations before you said hence the dustbin state of things in your time.
Now, that is one major difference between the races on either ends of the human colour spectrum.
Believe this.

1 Like

Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by manny4life(m): 5:51pm On Nov 22, 2011
Hmm, I'm off hopes that it will but I sure don't see it.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by Fhemmmy: 5:54pm On Nov 22, 2011
afam4eva:

Even if you wont enjoy it, you kids or grand kids might enjoy it and that should be a reason for you to wanna see it happen . . . it should not always be about us
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by harakiri(m): 5:57pm On Nov 22, 2011
Nigeria wasn't granted "independence" to aid development. Nigeria was granted "independence" because the imperialists knew that most black folks are incapable of getting their $hit together. 51 years after independence and Nigeria still remains backward. . .Imagine a 51yr old over grown toddler wearing diapers and $hitting all over the place. That's Nigeria for you.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by bkbabe97y(m): 6:01pm On Nov 22, 2011
afam4eva:

This is the same selfish, greedy, im*becilic Ibo mentality that keeps dragging the country backwards.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by Sike(m): 6:11pm On Nov 22, 2011
Abeg let's move on with our lives & stop chasing shadows 4eva!

1 Like

Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by crackhouse(m): 6:27pm On Nov 22, 2011
Only when Nigerians will turn whites. Black generally are known to be backwards in everything. If Americans were blacks, i don't think there would be any development in America today. Look at the blacks in America, if u leave America for them to occupy for 5yrs u may not know America again. So blacks are known to be backwards in everything including development and their maintenance culture.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by demoore1(m): 6:38pm On Nov 22, 2011
This is only possible when nigeria is 3 contries
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by Johnpaul2k2(m): 6:40pm On Nov 22, 2011
YES, once we eliminate Core North!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by mickeyjag(m): 6:56pm On Nov 22, 2011
Singapore in 1960 was much poorer than Nigeria.

Prime Minister Lee Kwan Yeuw sent delegations to Ghana and Kenya to study their master plans for development. These they implemented to the letter, and as a result, 30 years later, Singapore became a developed country with a Per Capita income and Standard of living that is the envy of many European countries. Unlike the UAE, Singapore has no oil, no land (it is a tiny city state), no resources of any kind (imports water from Malaysia) and in the 1960's suffered from shocking levels of poverty and filth.

If they can, any country can make it.

http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/life/then-and-now-266369
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by Nobody: 6:57pm On Nov 22, 2011
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by Nobody: 7:20pm On Nov 22, 2011
Anything is possible. tongue
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by Kanto: 7:25pm On Nov 22, 2011
Nigeria cannot develop because of badly brought up bigoted cretins like bk.babe97y. Any time bk.babe97y creeps up in any forum that forum is sure
to be pollutted by the putrid feaces of tribalism by ignorant animals like bk.babe97y.

As we all know a very corrupt nation like nigeria can never develop and  nigerian corruption is sustained by tribalism.  It is tribal animals like bk.babe97y who issue press releases in support of executive robbers like Bankole who stole more than 30 billion naira, or dance in front of the court in support of robbers like Bode George who stole over 80 billion naira or rent buses to Abuja to support Tinubu who is said to have stolen over 100 billion naira during his trial in Abuja.

With tribal animals like bk.babe97y corruption will forever  be part of nigeria and the country cannever ever develop.

For nigeria to develop, lowlifes and sick bigoted apes like bk.babe97y must first be killed before the nation can move forward.
A careful elimination of such dirty stinking lesser mortals and debased psychopaths, witches and wizards like b.kbabe97y is the only hope of developing nigeria
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by dammizz(m): 7:45pm On Nov 22, 2011
I so much belief in ma country, NIGERIA. I have a dream this country would be great someday while myself, some of u optimists & pessimists are yet breathing. Its a weird dream, but my dreams do come true.
GOD BLESS NIGERIA!
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by juman(m): 7:51pm On Nov 22, 2011
Nigeria is NOBODY's country.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by ShangoThor(m): 8:04pm On Nov 22, 2011
harakiri:

Nigeria wasn't granted "independence" to aid development. Nigeria was granted "independence" because the imperialists knew that most black folks are incapable of getting their $hit together. 51 years after independence and Nigeria still remains backward. . .Imagine a 51yr old over grown toddler wearing diapers and $hitting all over the place. That's Nigeria for you.

Booooom!
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by OLASODE2K: 8:14pm On Nov 22, 2011
I think the best assured to develop is to go the japanese way. Less than 300yrs ago, Japan was a feudal, backward, hungry, uneducated, uncivilised and perpetually in turmoils country whose very few elites were going to china then to learn about adminstration and science. However, the average japanese has two characters that brought out of the woods: the japenese are very observant to new ideas and wont balk to try it out. It got to a point that after copying everything the chinese were doing then and not satisfied with themselves, they went to court all western countries to help develop their science, education and technology. Within a period of 50yrs, the chinese who incidentally were their first mentors started coming to japan to update their knowledge. Wat made all these awesome achievements most striking was that japan never enjoyed any domestic political peace or strifeless environment but all never made them to loose focus.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by Nobody: 8:19pm On Nov 22, 2011
Nigeria can only become a developed country, when Nigerians learn to be less resistant to change. Embrace evolution, move forward with the rest of the world. Untill this happens (which I can't foresee in the next 1,000,000,000,000 years) Nigeria will not become a developed country.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by ShangoThor(m): 8:45pm On Nov 22, 2011
Actually, Nigeria has regressed since the 80s!

The big problem is apart from being downright selfish and self interested about the human condition in the entirety of the polity, the various peoples that make of the Citizens of the Country do not care enough about it.

One can only solve problems and various challenges by being completely OBJECTIVE about them whilst assessing them and acting accordingly, and this is not evident in Nigeria. This main fact is the 'Killer APP' in the Caucasians armoury.

The Nigerian populace is constituted by various inwardly looking peoples that do not understand that there are those amongst them (the Judas Iscariot Class) that would sell them out or exploit them for a PRICE! They permeate tribes, clans, regions and even families. This is Nigerian mentality, where sections in the populace would be envious of ordinary folk being able to afford or purchase consumables like IPads, Iphones, Blackberries etc. We seem to celebrate poverty, or the fact that others (the masses) are down trodden.

Furthermore, this is also a country where people were hacked to death because they were agents of the electoral commission, and where babies, and women get hacked to death in the middle of the night because they live in a conflict area such as Jos and the populace show indifference, we might talk a lot to condemn the actions (btw some even poke fun at these incidents), but we are expected to return to business and subconsciously people wait for the next recurrence of such savagery.

Moreover, how many successful, developing countries have partially Secular (or non-Secular) Constitutions? A Pluralistic Country which was artificially created needs a level playing field for the plural and competing interests within the polity and until we understand such a simple rule which has evolved through hundreds of years via the formation of the Modern day state, we will continue to deceive ourselves and be stuck in OUR 'semi-archaic' mode.

Lets face it, we have to get civilized first before we can get developed!
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by muyoto: 8:49pm On Nov 22, 2011
@topic,

1.   Is the case of developing and developed countries based on politics and civilization?

I think its based on politics, economic indices, standard of living of its citizens, technological development. . .not sure of the civilization part.

2.   Can a country move from developed to developing?

Definitely. Countries have done it and are still expected to do it (China, India)

4.   Can Nigeria in our own generation be referred as developed country?

there would have to be purposeful, measurable, discernible, positive increase in all spheres of the lives of its citizens. Certainly not our case.

Kofi Annan described a developed country as ""one that allows all its citizens to enjoy a free and healthy life in a safe environment. do you honestly believe that definition applies to Nigeria?
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by Idealkocep: 9:39pm On Nov 22, 2011
muyoto:

@topic,

I think its based on politics, economic indices, standard of living of its citizens, technological development. . .not sure of the civilization part.

Definitely. Countries have done it and are still expected to do it (China, India)

there would have to be purposeful, measurable, discernible, positive increase in all spheres of the lives of its citizens. Certainly not our case.

Kofi Annan described a developed country as ""one that allows all its citizens to enjoy a free and healthy life in a safe environment. do you honestly believe that definition applies to Nigeria?

The sad truth is that Nigeria as we know it today is not close to Kofi Anan's definiton as regards a Developed country.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by Fhemmmy: 9:49pm On Nov 22, 2011
Idealkocep:

The sad truth is that Nigeria as we know it today is not close to Kofi Anan's definiton as regards a Developed country.

Lol . . How could anyone even imagine that Nigerian smells development . . we are too far
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by Horus(m): 9:56pm On Nov 22, 2011
Nigeria can become a developed country at the two following conditions:

1- Mandatory death penalty for all corruption crimes.
2- 24/7 Electricity supply.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by ak47mann(m): 10:06pm On Nov 22, 2011
No one is going to break from Nigeria. We will continue the ship wreak called Nigeria until it finally collapses. cool cool

cos we never one from the start a house build on a bad foundation will definitely fall.

The voices of freedom should accentuate the urgency of a sovereign national conference under current president, Goodluck Jonathan, that the rights of the peoples that constitute the component sections of a political contraption like Nigeria may be respected regarding Self-determination.

Am done cool
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by Nobody: 11:34pm On Nov 22, 2011
ak47mann:

No one is going to break from Nigeria. We will continue the ship wreak called Nigeria until it finally collapses. cool cool

cos we never one from the start a house build on a bad foundation will definitely fall.

The voices of freedom should accentuate the urgency of a sovereign national conference under current president, Goodluck Jonathan, that the rights of the peoples that constitute the component sections of a political contraption like Nigeria may be respected regarding Self-determination.

Am done cool

Bipolar.

Arent you the one asking for Nigeria to break on another thread?
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by ak47mann(m): 11:39pm On Nov 22, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Bipolar.

Arent you the one asking for Nigeria to break on another thread?
which thread?
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by http(m): 12:01am On Nov 23, 2011
Am not interested in whatever they called develop, what i want is the quality of life of Nigerians to improve, when we have basic things of life, power, water, shelter, security of life and property, good health care, good infrastructures, good education, then every other things in whatever manner you want to call it will set in place; all this will be provided by Good people who have a common goal, cos if there is no common goal, nothing will happen.
All i want is the quality of life of an average Nigerian to Improve. when we stop thinking of what to eat daily, we will reach our goal and even surpass it.

All these gbagboss lies with people who are civilized enough, not animals in human skin.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by igbo2011(m): 12:14am On Nov 23, 2011
The difference between Singapore and Nigeria are RESOURCES> Do you notice since Mauritius has no resources they are doing well? Resources are a curse to Nigeria. If we didn't have them then we would probably be in a better situation. Less corruption, more accountability, more transparency, etc.Also foreign powers intermingle with our affairs. This causes more problems for Nigeria.

If Europeans would leave African countries alone we can develop. The French are always messing things up, look what they did to Ivory Coast this past year. If we didn't have resources they wouldn't be on us.

America is getting to recolonize Africa so unless we get an army, we are screwed.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by Nobody: 12:51am On Nov 23, 2011
The only thing stopping any and all African countries from "progressing" (or becoming westernized if you ask me tongue)
is the failure to realize that 'no man is an island'. There is no one who has stood up and declared tribalism a cancer!! In fact most African presidents/dictators THRIVE and succeed by appealing to certain groups. Also even the common attitude I see on here with this "giant of Africa" slogan, is obviously a symbol of national pride and perhaps identity however it's actually more detrimental than it is helpful because you have some Nigerians who believe it so much that they literally view other Africans as being "inferior". Stop seeing other Africans as competition but rather brethren. Most European countries have their own personal stereotypes of others and may feel better than the others however they have realized the importance of having a union!! There has to be micro and macro unity in Africa. Also a lot of African countries has no idea or interest in their worth! They sell off resources to the highest bidder but then use the proceeds on foolishness. Feed and take care of your people!! Understand the history of your country and learn from it!

Something as "simple" as planning and promoting tourism could potentially help the Nigerian economy.
Nigeria has a cultural and historical significance to the African diaspora. Nigeria was one of the major exporters of Africans during the slave trade and yet I didn't even know about the slave port/city of Badagry (sp??) until another NLder emailed links about it to me. With the artifacts that are still there you could only imagine the amount of money generated if the Nigerian gov.t would take advantage of its historical relevance. Just like Ghana has and even have descendants invest in the country. No man is an island and I would like for Nigerians to realize this. Nothing wrong with self reliance but if you want to be recognized you have got to reach out and spread your horizons!!

I could go on and on but things will take place in due time. It's up to the Nigerian gov.t and people (Africans in general) to utilize what they have, treat the citizens right and start having open minds.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by yuboy: 12:54am On Nov 23, 2011
never i never tought of dat imagine goin to common goin to school is hard talkless of talkin of development development in 9ja is a tin of histroy and stop braggin ov
er dis issue pls

until dis people die den start postin development in 9ja ooooooooooooo

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Butchers Of Nigeria - Wole Soyinka / Budget Padding: Saraki Inaugurates Technical Committee / Fayose Kickstarts Payment Of #10m Revolving Loan To Tailors (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.