Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,879 members, 7,879,674 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 02:18 AM

2024 BMW I5 Review - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 2024 BMW I5 Review (287 Views)

2024 BMW 750e Xdrive Review / The 2018 BMW X4 Unveiled – Photos & Video / Would You Buy This Beautifully Restored 1972 BMW 3.0 CSL For N35.7m? (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

2024 BMW I5 Review by Claviman: 10:25am On May 22
The 2024 i5 comes in two flavors: a base rear-wheel-drive i5 eDrive40 and an all-wheel-drive i5 M60 xDrive; for this review, I drove an eDrive40.

In most ways, the i5 delivers comfortable, refined and nearly flawless road manners. Nineteen-inch wheels are standard, but my test car was equipped with larger 21-inch wheels; even so, ride quality was a high point, with a rear load-leveling air suspension standard.

If that sounds boring, the i5 isn’t. Direct, linear steering with natural feedback contributes to a dynamic, connected-to-the-road feel, and a tight turning circle makes for super maneuverability. This BMW handles like a smaller car than its mid-size dimensions suggest.

Power is another plus. From a stop, acceleration is potent and seamlessly delivered. The RWD i5 eDrive40 uses an electric motor at the rear axle for maximum power output of 335 horsepower and maximum torque of 295 pounds-feet. A Boost Mode function delivers a bit more oomph, but don’t get too excited: A tap of the Boost paddle near the steering wheel unlocks just 22 more pounds-feet of torque. It’s a nice little lift, but it’s wimpy compared with the Genesis Electrified GV70’s pin-you-to-your-seat blast of boost power.

While the i5’s power is consistently strong and fluid, its brakes are anything but; they’ll take some getting used to. The culprit is the car’s regenerative braking system, which captures energy that’s usually lost during braking and sends it to the battery. Some EVs and hybrids struggle with natural-feeling regen systems, and the i5 is one of them. The biggest problem is the car’s default “adaptive recuperation” mode, which uses navigation data and information from the car’s driver-assist systems to automatically adjust how much power is recuperated based on the traffic situation. What this meant for me was uneven, unpredictable braking feel and response.

An example: In one situation, taking my foot off the accelerator produced the drama-free deceleration I expected, yet just a few minutes later, deceleration felt disconnected and lurchy (prompting frequent apologies to my passengers). This was annoying and uncomfortable, though I’m sure that with time, the system and I could’ve figured each other out.

The verdict
The BMW 5 Series is known for its refined road manners and polished cabin, and the all-electric 2024 i5 levels up with a premium driving experience, cutting-edge tech and maximum efficiency.

Versus the competition
The i5 is more opulent, affordable and comfortable — in terms of both drivability and usability — than rivals from Tesla and Mercedes Benz.

Watch full review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGNE6d1xFYc

(1) (Reply)

Win Jumia Vouchers For Giving Your Opinion On Nigeria’s Energy Issues / Car Tracking / We Buy & Sell Paypal Funds,bitcoin,cashapp,itunes,amazon,steam,google Play Etc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.