Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,886 members, 7,879,704 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 04:21 AM

2024 BMW 750e Xdrive Review - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 2024 BMW 750e Xdrive Review (331 Views)

2024 BMW I5 Review / BMW M235i Xdrive Gran Coupe / The 2018 BMW X4 Unveiled – Photos & Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

2024 BMW 750e Xdrive Review by Claviman: 11:11am On May 22
After BMW radically redesigned its 7 Series line of full-size luxury sedans for the 2023 model year, which included the launch of the all-electric i7, it decided to add a plug-in hybrid version — the 750e xDrive — for 2024. A PHEV is an excellent bridge on the path toward full electrification; they usually offer buyers enough all-electric range to cover both ends of a daily commute, they can usually be charged overnight using a normal 120-volt household outlet, and they still have a gas engine for longer trips.

Despite its size and heft, the 750e is nimble, especially when equipped with BMW’s optional Integral Active Steering, also known as rear-wheel steering. BMW says this feature reduces the 750e’s turning circle by up to 2.5 feet, with the rear wheels able to turn up to 3.5 degrees in the same or opposite direction as the front wheels. The result is a dainty and maneuverable car at low speeds, with extra-smooth lane changes at higher speeds and sharper-than-expected handling, all of which help make the 750e feel like a smaller car than it is.

Working against that feeling is the 750e’s sheer heft: It tips the scales at a listed curb weight of 5,635 pounds. That’s 476 pounds more than the all-wheel-drive 740i xDrive, and while the 750e has a lower center of gravity and feels solid and stable, there’s no denying it’s a heavy car. The 750e’s adaptive air suspension does an excellent job absorbing bumps and delivering a smooth ride, and it keeps the big-bodied sedan flat in corners.

The 750e’s PHEV powertrain features a turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-six-cylinder engine and an electric motor inside the eight-speed automatic transmission. It’s good for a combined output of 483 horsepower and 516 pounds-feet of torque, which sounds like a lot of oomph, but the feeling is more composed and purposeful than it is sports-car-adjacent. Using just electric power, the 750e can make a selection of augmented driving noises, but I preferred to keep things silent and enjoy just how buttoned up the interior is, with little road, tire and wind noise. In electric-only mode, there’s 194 hp and 207 pounds-feet of torque, and while that torque is instant, the 750e is simply too bulky for these numbers: All-electric driving in the 750e just feels poky. It’s hard not to tip the accelerator pedal far enough to get the gas engine to kick in for more grunt.

BMW says the 750e can accelerate from 0-60 mph in 4.6 seconds. That feels accurate, yet despite that remarkably low time, the car somehow never felt sporty. It’s quicker to 60 mph than the quickest 740i’s 4.9-second mark but slower than the 760i’s 4.1-second sprint — and much slower than the quickest i7’s borderline-crazy 3.5-second run. An available Boost mode adds slightly more power; it’s activated by holding down the left shift paddle, but the power it supplies isn’t as dramatic as you’ll get from a Genesis EV’s boost mode.

Fuel economy is often an area where PHEVs shine relative to their gas-only counterparts, and the 750e’s 65 mpg-equivalent rating using just electricity far exceeds any other gas-powered 7 Series’ fuel economy estimate. With the gas engine in play and the 750e operating as a gas-electric hybrid, however, the sedan’s 25 mpg combined rating trails all but the 760i xDrive’s 20 mpg rating, and that car is powered by a turbocharged V-8. The 740i gets an EPA-estimated 28 or 27 mpg combined with RWD or AWD, respectively. Buyers of the 750e will really need to keep the car charged in order to reap its full fuel-economy benefits — and we’ll get to why that may be a pain a little later.

The 750e’s regenerative braking isn’t overly aggressive, but I wish it had a true one-pedal driving mode. Volvo offers one in its PHEVs, and it contributes to a more EV-like driving experience. On the plus side, the 750e’s brake-pedal feel is mostly linear and easy to modulate after just a short time behind the wheel.

The i7’s interior takes a more modern, eco-friendly approach to luxury than the gas-powered 7 Series, but the 750e leans more traditional. Our test vehicle had beautiful red Merino leather upholstery standard, as well as some pricey options that really transformed the interior into a rolling palace. The first was a premium Bowers & Wilkins stereo; it added $4,800 to the price tag, and while I’m no audio expert, it seemed well worth it. Second was a $5,450 Individual Composition option that added a color-coordinated Alcantara simulated-suede headliner. Third, the 750e we tested came with the Executive Package, which adds heated front and rear seats and a heated center armrest, a heated steering wheel and massaging front seats. It also adds automatic opening and closing doors, which are both remarkably useful and a neat party trick. Finally, the $950 Panoramic Sky Lounge LED roof doesn’t open like a traditional moonroof, but it does provide an airy feeling to an already roomy cabin.

Watch video reviews

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwhmodwYTow

(1) (Reply)

Do-it-yourself-on-the-road-diy / Bad Gas @ Conoil Gas Station Beside TREM Valley Estate Lagos-abeokuta Expressway / Lexus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.