Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,116 members, 7,880,468 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 06:53 PM

Price Hike Forces Many South Africans To Dump DSTV - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Price Hike Forces Many South Africans To Dump DSTV (25487 Views)

DSTV Price Hike: Five Alternatives Nigerians Are Opting For / Price Hike: Dstv Shuns Court Injunction, Retains New Rates / Why You Should Dump DStv For TStv (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Price Hike Forces Many South Africans To Dump DSTV by Tealcrestmedia(m): 2:36pm On Jun 03
They should continue, they will soon get the Nokia treatment due to their inability to adapt to customer demands.

1 Like

Re: Price Hike Forces Many South Africans To Dump DSTV by Greattha: 2:44pm On Jun 03
If so, why then do they keep calling and giving silly offers in a bid to get you to subscribe after almost 2 years?

They're banking on the monopoly quite alright but not in the way you're looking at it.

They'll die if they don't upgrade their services...heck they're struggling already cos most people are with them for sports...If they lose that edge, then you'll know....at least for Nigerians...dunno about other countries.

Diligence:
Breaking!

1. Could it be that MultiChoice doesn't want to spend any more money in infrastructure upgrade.
2. They deliberately hike price to shed some weight & still maintain a sizeable no. customers base...
3. If this is the strategy, they could still survive any customer casualties they suffer.
4. This is possible where there's no competition!

1 Like

Re: Price Hike Forces Many South Africans To Dump DSTV by Fuckyoumod: 2:47pm On Jun 03
jmoore:
They still have over 8 million subscribers which is more than Nigerian subscribers. Don't get carried away with the word 'DUMP' in the headline. Read the contents.

You are saying that Nigerians only come online to complain, do you have stats of Nigerian DSTV subscribers of 2022 and 2023? No, you don't. You are just making assumptions that they have not lost subscribers in Nigeria.
what's your point exactly?
Re: Price Hike Forces Many South Africans To Dump DSTV by blaise26abj(m): 2:47pm On Jun 03
Melagros:

https://businesstech.co.za/news/technology/773666/south-africans-dump-dstv-as-price-pain-sets-in/

COMRADES, I used to think multichoice is good at milking only Nigerians until now I discovered that it is across board. The only difference between Nigerians and South Africans is that; South Africans take action against any act of ill-treatment, but Nigerians only come online and complain or rant that's all

Chai . This is where money , connection and business sense should come in and edge Multichoice out

1 Like

Re: Price Hike Forces Many South Africans To Dump DSTV by Watinhapen(m): 2:53pm On Jun 03
I have been subscribing my GoTv but the last increase it price really got me upset. Gotv that I was even managing before. Now I subscribe my phone and connect it to my TV. I can watch any movies or music videos I want. Multichoice is just scamming us with substandard service delivery.
Re: Price Hike Forces Many South Africans To Dump DSTV by Bossman(m): 2:54pm On Jun 03
True. As that makes IPTV which is much better content wise an expensive option for the long term.
Ikaeniyan0:
The only reason Nigerians are not dropping it is because of how expensive data price is
Re: Price Hike Forces Many South Africans To Dump DSTV by Izuchukwu70: 3:08pm On Jun 03
jmoore:

Which political party wrote in their manifesto that they will make Nigerians to pay less for cable tv?

No dey yarn babablu.

There is petrol subsidy in USA, your own government can't see that policy and copy?

You can never sound like me. Never!

How much is a gallon of gasoline in USA?
Re: Price Hike Forces Many South Africans To Dump DSTV by IronGalaxy: 3:26pm On Jun 03
meobizy:
South Africans no get money. This is nothing new. It was why they tried to merge their BBMzansi with BBNaija to milk Nigerians off our hard-earned currency. E no work. I’m here wondering if DStv is honestly needed in my house. All I use the service for is MMA and international news.
South Africans have a higher disposable income and a higher GDP per capita compared to Nigerians, don't know what you're smoking
Re: Price Hike Forces Many South Africans To Dump DSTV by IronGalaxy: 3:27pm On Jun 03
JaceBlaze:

R1.00 = N1500 but you believe SA can benefit anything from your currency?🤡
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Price Hike Forces Many South Africans To Dump DSTV by TheRedpillguy: 3:28pm On Jun 03
3seriez:
Since I found IPTV , my TV life has never been the same. Bye bye to subscription.
How does it work?
Re: Price Hike Forces Many South Africans To Dump DSTV by IronGalaxy: 3:29pm On Jun 03
meobizy:
A Nigerian is more likely to deal with dollars than the average South African. ROFLMAO.
in the same capital of poverty? you must be high on something
Re: Price Hike Forces Many South Africans To Dump DSTV by Ochyes: 3:41pm On Jun 03
helinues:
Nigeria government should be held accountable
Hahaha
Re: Price Hike Forces Many South Africans To Dump DSTV by JaceBlaze: 3:55pm On Jun 03
IronGalaxy:
grin grin grin

It's the nerve for me grin

1 Like

Re: Price Hike Forces Many South Africans To Dump DSTV by 3seriez(m): 3:59pm On Jun 03
TheRedpillguy:

How does it work?

Uses a smart box device, needs internet sub. More like streaming. Unlimited channels.
Haven't paid any tv subscription since February.
Re: Price Hike Forces Many South Africans To Dump DSTV by JaceBlaze: 4:00pm On Jun 03
meobizy:
A Nigerian is more likely to deal with dollars than the average South African. ROFLMAO.

Who gives a sh*t? A South African average earner is still afforded amenities a Nigerian multi millionaire can only fantasize about. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Price Hike Forces Many South Africans To Dump DSTV by PARADIZEPRIEST: 4:10pm On Jun 03
Ooo I thought na only naija ppl dey suffer dstv Brut exploitation angry
Re: Price Hike Forces Many South Africans To Dump DSTV by Waffarianman(m): 4:19pm On Jun 03
Ahmed0336:
I don port tey tey

Local man cannot can.

FTA is a sure for me and my families. I only use my phone to stream matches
Re: Price Hike Forces Many South Africans To Dump DSTV by Tareq1105: 4:31pm On Jun 03
Melagros:

Okay, tell us the Nigerian stats, when they increased their tariff recently you and I (Nigerians) ranted here on nairaland, have we taken any action? She I don wait for una to take action and una no gree make me go re sub

I discouraged all my (7) neighbors and colleagues in the office from renewal of their DStv subscriptions.

I'm still campaigning against DStv anywhere I found myself.

Until DStv introduce Pay As You Watch. How can I subscribe only to travel on official assignment after 2 weeks, then came back and watch for just 4 days only for DStv to shut me out telling me to resubscribe.

1 Like

Re: Price Hike Forces Many South Africans To Dump DSTV by teey0007: 4:32pm On Jun 03
A company that sees increasing price has the only solution to their challenge is a disaster waiting to happen.

Any small flinch, increase price, they don't mind doing that 12 months in a year thinking if they don't have alternatives they don't have a say.

They never listen or care about their customers. Only to take out competition so people don't have options. That doesn't get you loyalty

Oya come and bully streaming platforms nau
Re: Price Hike Forces Many South Africans To Dump DSTV by Nice2023(m): 4:43pm On Jun 03
Go and buy iptv...my brother just subscribed on Friday.

The decoder is about 40k and after one year,u can subscribe 25k for the following year that is,per annum.

Me too I am about to port by Friday.

Robertgreene1:
Interesting....l subbed my Gotv for $5100 last Monday.... something that was #4200 last month...the girl shocked me further when she told me that a Gotv decorder goes for 50k now... something l bought for 4500 way back in 2015 when l was still in the uni...
Worse part is that the only channel l watch on Gotv these days is only Aljazeera news and sometimes football on Super Sports select finish...when I'm not busy working oo....all other channels are wack!!!
I asked the girl about startimes decorder...she told me it goes for only #13500 and with a sub of less than 4k l can enjoy better channels...
Please anyone that uses Startimes here...does it show Aljazeera news?
This Gotv don tire me...l wan port to Startimes!

1 Like

Re: Price Hike Forces Many South Africans To Dump DSTV by Mrincredible001: 4:46pm On Jun 03
Diligence:
Breaking!

1. Could it be that MultiChoice doesn't want to spend any more money in infrastructure upgrade.
2. They deliberately hike price to shed some weight & still maintain a sizeable no. customers base...
3. If this is the strategy, they could still survive any customer casualties they suffer.
4. This is possible where there's no competition!

Competition isn't the issue, it's about Having the money to Purchase rights to it's content, Purchasing rights to major leagues is very expensive
Re: Price Hike Forces Many South Africans To Dump DSTV by TheRedpillguy: 4:56pm On Jun 03
3seriez:

Uses a smart box device, needs internet sub. More like streaming. Unlimited channels.
Haven't paid any tv subscription since February.
Where can I buy this smart box, how can I set it up and how much sub is required
Re: Price Hike Forces Many South Africans To Dump DSTV by PHAYOL81: 5:02pm On Jun 03
Hmmmmm!
Re: Price Hike Forces Many South Africans To Dump DSTV by spartachico(m): 5:14pm On Jun 03
Dog eat dog ,I don't now why Nigerians are giving these monster money ,I stopped subscribing many months back and I'm not sure I will be coming back until they reduce to unreasonable price or introduce pay as you go ... I will sub yo dstv and still use my money to buy fuel and watch it, why not buy data and turn on your smart TV or smart phones... Na only football they owe me and I can't watch it on my twitter and other app
Re: Price Hike Forces Many South Africans To Dump DSTV by DJInfluence: 5:34pm On Jun 03
jmoore:

If tinubulation doesn't make you to cut your expenses then you don't need a group boycott to force you to abandon DSTV.

What happened in Southafrica was not an organized boycott.

There is lack of sufficent data of Nigerian dstv subscribers published online but the right assumption should be that it has reduced. High cost usually push away some customers.
Why are you wasting your time explaining things to people that find logical thinking difficult to comprehend?

1 Like

Re: Price Hike Forces Many South Africans To Dump DSTV by Robertgreene1(m): 5:35pm On Jun 03
Melagros:

Startimes shows Aljazeera and all those channels that you mentioned
I even the plan sef to port to Startimes
Thanks for the info sir...

1 Like

Re: Price Hike Forces Many South Africans To Dump DSTV by GentleBosss: 5:36pm On Jun 03
IPTV SERVICE AVAILABLE WITH OVER 13K CHANNELS. See my post for more info

Re: Price Hike Forces Many South Africans To Dump DSTV by JaceBlaze: 6:26pm On Jun 03
Elliotwaveforec:

Are you insane or you're just being stupid?

I don't know,sometimes I play both at once and at times I play one at a time.

What do you make of it? undecided

1 Like

Re: Price Hike Forces Many South Africans To Dump DSTV by Jamesadeosun23: 6:26pm On Jun 03
jmoore:
They still have over 8 million subscribers which is more than Nigerian subscribers. Don't get carried away with the word 'DUMP' in the headline. Read the contents.

You are saying that Nigerians only come online to complain, do you have stats of Nigerian DSTV subscribers of 2022 and 2023? No, you don't. You are just making assumptions that they have not lost subscribers in Nigeria.
. For the past four months now I refused to subscribe. Their customer care have been calling I just told them that they should come and carry their decoder it is not by force
Re: Price Hike Forces Many South Africans To Dump DSTV by Phyde: 6:49pm On Jun 03
Nice2023:
Go and buy iptv...my brother just subscribed on Friday.

The decoder is about 40k and after one year,u can subscribe 25k for the following year that is,per annum.

Me too I am about to port by Friday.

Without Internet?
Re: Price Hike Forces Many South Africans To Dump DSTV by 3seriez(m): 7:01pm On Jun 03
TheRedpillguy:

Where can I buy this smart box, how can I set it up and how much sub is required

Ask all those independent cable TV dealers i.e DStv, GoTv, startimes, free to Air dealers in your area. They would know where to source it or already have it.
My DStv installer suggested it to me , and I said let me try it. Paid 32k , load internet data on my router and have been watching premiership and all league football + numerous channels all over the world. I stopped counting at over 300 channels. The subscription is per annum. Never going back to DStv with this.
Re: Price Hike Forces Many South Africans To Dump DSTV by Nice2023(m): 7:15pm On Jun 03
Phyde:

Without Internet?

It doesn't consume up to 5data a month.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Get Gotv Top Up Promo For Gotv Max @ ₦2500 / #bbnaija: The Dress Is Ugly – Kemi Olunloyo On Cee-c And Payporte / Who Is The Best Fighter With A Lightsaber Out Of All The Starwars Movies Orbooks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.