Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,031 members, 7,970,186 topics. Date: Tuesday, 08 October 2024 at 10:36 PM

Flashback: Why I Opposed Awolowo On Secession - Zik - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Flashback: Why I Opposed Awolowo On Secession - Zik (7186 Views)

How Azikiwe Opposed Awolowo In Putting Secession Permission Into The Constitutio / Wike On Secession: Won’t Allow Anyone To Annex, Hoist Unnecessary Flag In Rivers / Flashback: Why Deeper Life Turned Down Jonathan’s Request To Visit Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flashback: Why I Opposed Awolowo On Secession - Zik by AlexBells(m): 2:07pm On Jun 06
Kukutente23:

Not true. Secession is allowed in the UK that colonised us. States in the US freely joined the Union and were aware that there's no clause for breaking up. However, the USSC has given guidelines for secession. Switzerland has a form of secession in its law and France outrightly has one.
Having secession can lead to instability in the state I agree. But with every secession clause also comes a clause for joining back. Even China had a secession clause as at then.
The point being made is that Awolowo saw the imperfections of Nigeria as a country and advocated the secession clause to guard against the tendency of maximalist among the regions.
Does the UK have a rigid constitution? If having secession is valid why did China that you mentioned do away with theirs yet we have a senate and the constitution is a continuation why blame Zik who saw through the future
Re: Flashback: Why I Opposed Awolowo On Secession - Zik by leokid866: 2:12pm On Jun 06
gidgiddy:
This is another classic example of why the Nigerian, and indeed Africans, are backward

The white man comes from Europe, uses superior firepower to overrun your ancestors, bamboozled them all into a British colonial project called "Nigeria"

But long after the white man has gone back home, you are still killing your selves to preserve the country he created. You answer a name "Nigerian" that a white woman created in London as your national identity

When someone like Ojukwu, an indigenous son of the soil, wants to create a country, you fight war, kill your selves in the millions, just to uphold a country created by the white man

But there is nothing you as a black African will ever create that Will make the white man kill his white brother

An enforced illegal colonial contraption that the white man shed the blood of your ancestors to create, is what you now shed the blood of your African brother to uphold. This is what you call treason and terrorism.

Terrible
you forget the same Ojukwu killed Adaka Boros men, stripped Adaka naked and put him in the boot of a car to Lagos to be sentenced and killed all in the name of preserving the same "white man's " Nigeria......if you want dey remember history use your full brain to remember it so that the idiot in you won't be showing......🫠

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Flashback: Why I Opposed Awolowo On Secession - Zik by mrvitalis(m): 2:27pm On Jun 06
raskymonojendor:

Zik was an idiot and the major reason we have Nigeria. If he had sided with Awolowo, the British won't have a choice than to include secession clause.
When did Britain start to listen to Nigerians opinion
Re: Flashback: Why I Opposed Awolowo On Secession - Zik by SporaD8: 2:31pm On Jun 06
Judgementa1:

Awolowo tried to have the clause in the constitution but zik opposed it.

If zik had agree to it maybe an ACT or provisions would have been made for it in subsequent constitution.

The problem with u people is that u feel u can decide for other.

Tell your leaders who have the power under the present law to initiate it.

Among 3 friends, I choose for everyone to serve and eat whatever they want. But you insisted we must all make provision to eat swallow.
In the spirit of brotherhood and after much stress, I brought pounded yam, another prepared Egusi after expended time and resources.
Oya bring the meat you promise let's start eating, you say swallow no hungry you again. your meat na for fried-rice!
If I no force that swallow down your throat make I know why!!!
Re: Flashback: Why I Opposed Awolowo On Secession - Zik by Kukutente23: 2:48pm On Jun 06
AlexBells:

Does the UK have a rigid constitution? If having secession is valid why did China that you mentioned do away with theirs yet we have a senate and the constitution is a continuation why blame Zik who saw through the future
What do you mean by Zik saw the future
Zik is the reason your people are shouting Biafra till today and you lost 3m children

11 Likes

Re: Flashback: Why I Opposed Awolowo On Secession - Zik by AlexBells(m): 3:07pm On Jun 06
Kukutente23:

What do you mean by Zik saw the future
Zik is the reason your people are shouting Biafra till today and you lost 3m children
Zik wasn’t the reason, our people will never be intimidated out of Nigeria. We didn’t join Nigeria at gunpoint and we would never exit at gun point. After the storm there shall be calm and you will get back to agitating for
Secession like your ancestors
Re: Flashback: Why I Opposed Awolowo On Secession - Zik by raskymonojendor: 3:08pm On Jun 06
mrvitalis:

They listened when Oluwa of Lagos - Chief Amodu Tijani took Britain to Court in 1921 for stealing his land and won £22,500,39.

They listened when we were given independence, even though they could have stayed on to milk us further.

There are many examples but I just gave two.

6 Likes

Re: Flashback: Why I Opposed Awolowo On Secession - Zik by raskymonojendor: 3:10pm On Jun 06
T9ksy:

Haba! That was a bit below the belt o!

Am sure, certified members of this exclusive group (idiots), will gladly and unambiguously, reject his membership application form. grin
Sometimes, you just have to spell it out. grin

3 Likes

Re: Flashback: Why I Opposed Awolowo On Secession - Zik by Kukutente23: 3:10pm On Jun 06
AlexBells:
Zik wasn’t the reason, our people will never be intimidated out of Nigeria. We didn’t join Nigeria at gunpoint and we would never exit at gun point. After the storm there shall be calm and you will get back to agitating for
You actually joined Nigeria at gunpoint

Go and read your history

3 Likes

Re: Flashback: Why I Opposed Awolowo On Secession - Zik by confusedlady(f): 3:13pm On Jun 06
mrvitalis:
So zik was not even the one that made the decision, he only debated in favour of it? The final decision was in the hands of a Brit... Who had already made up his mind not to include succession before zik debated?

If they can change national anthem they can change the Constitution this is not even a debate

The question should be so who was the person begging for unity between Awolowo and Azikiwe? Who is the actual unity begger?

7 Likes

Re: Flashback: Why I Opposed Awolowo On Secession - Zik by confusedlady(f): 3:18pm On Jun 06
Armaggedon:
Zik stood for regionalism and federalism with financial and legislative autonomy where the regions developed in their own pace. No contradictions.

One of the most confusing figures in Nigeria's history was Awolowo. He claimed he wanted secession and zik rejected. But when the opportunity presented itself during Biafra, the same Awolowo made a complete U-turn and and started fighting for a unitary one Nigeria as championed by gowon. His attitude justified Zik's opinions about him.

So based on this recorded debate who was the unity begger?
I hope you are aware that half way through the Nigeria Biafra conflict, Azikiwe abandoned Ojukwu and Biafra. Fled from Biafra and reclaimed to be a Nigerian and at the same time renounced all allegiance to Biafra.
So I ask again who was the actual unity begger between Awolowo and Azikiwe?

6 Likes

Re: Flashback: Why I Opposed Awolowo On Secession - Zik by AlexBells(m): 3:30pm On Jun 06
Kukutente23:

You actually joined Nigeria at gunpoint

Go and read your history
We got independence from that and waited for others so we did not join independent Nigeria at gunpoint
Re: Flashback: Why I Opposed Awolowo On Secession - Zik by Kukutente23: 3:35pm On Jun 06
AlexBells:
We got independence from that and waited for others so we did not join independent Nigeria at gunpoint
Lol. Amalgamation was 1914
Your fate was sealed then
Independence was not freely given
It aligned with Western interests
The point is you could have avoided today's tears if Zik had realised Nigeria is a mere geographical expression like Awo did early when the stakes were not high

8 Likes

Re: Flashback: Why I Opposed Awolowo On Secession - Zik by TimeManager(m): 3:35pm On Jun 06
gidgiddy:

And if the British had not forced us together, nobody would be talking about any clause.

As Africans, we have to be very stupid to need secession clause to go our seperate ways. The white man brought us together, but we need secession clause before we can go our seperate ways? And if no secession clause, we will and kill our selves to keep a country created by the white man

It is shameful on our part as Africans
Africa was not only the continent colonized, parts of Europe was colonized, United States was colonized. But when the opportunity came, Zik spurned it.

-Kiss the truth!

5 Likes

Re: Flashback: Why I Opposed Awolowo On Secession - Zik by gidgiddy: 3:40pm On Jun 06
TimeManager:

Africa was not only the continent colonized, parts of Europe was colonized, United States was colonized. But when the opportunity came, Zik spurned it.

-Kiss the truth!

And what one man did or did not do 79 years ago is more important than what millions of people want today.

Africans are talking about secession clause in other to leave a country created by the white man from Europe

That is shameful

1 Like

Re: Flashback: Why I Opposed Awolowo On Secession - Zik by TimeManager(m): 3:40pm On Jun 06
mrvitalis:

They did, that's why we had regional government, independence, and the constitution which was determined by Nigerians.

-Kiss the truth!

5 Likes

Re: Flashback: Why I Opposed Awolowo On Secession - Zik by TimeManager(m): 3:47pm On Jun 06
AlexBells:
How did you join Nigeria?, did you dance into it or twerk into it?

-Kiss the truth!

6 Likes

Re: Flashback: Why I Opposed Awolowo On Secession - Zik by TimeManager(m): 3:51pm On Jun 06
gidgiddy:

And what one man did or did not do 79 years ago is more important than what millions of people want today.

Africans are talking about secession clause in other to leave a country created by the white man from Europe

That is shameful

The decision several decades ago by that one man who represented the voice of the entire ndigbo is the reason you are where you are today. That man was your legitimate voice, he sealed your fate today.

-Kiss the truth!

5 Likes

Re: Flashback: Why I Opposed Awolowo On Secession - Zik by ElSudani: 3:53pm On Jun 06
Kukutente23:

The point is you could have avoided today's tears if Zik had realised Nigeria is a mere geographical expression like Awo did early when the stakes were not high

His fate was sealed even before 1914. The day Iboland came under British rule is more like it.

2 Likes

Re: Flashback: Why I Opposed Awolowo On Secession - Zik by confusedlady(f): 3:54pm On Jun 06
smileyoo:
Indeed Mr Azikiwe contributed in placing us in this bondage like contraption called Nigeria because of his fanatical yet unrealistic believe in Nigerian unity as a nationalist, but 6 decades counting, his vision of Nigerian unity is still a mirage, proving chief Awolowo vindicated as a realist and a visionary leader.
even during the Biafra / Nigeria civil war, Mr Azikiwe was still sadly deluded by his personal conviction of the imaginary Nigeria unity, to the extent[b] that he rigidly refused to lend any support to the Biafra struggle and the yearnings of our people,[/b] i wish he was still alive to see the precarious situation, that his illusion of imaginary national unity had placed upon the victimized citizens of Nigeria.
Indeed Awolowo was the best president that Nigeria never had.

This is slightly not true,in the beginning of the Nigeria Biafra conflict Azikiwe was fully in support of Biafra in fact he was closely in cahoots with Odumegwu Ojukwu. It was half way through the conflict that Azikiwe abandoned Ojukwu and his Biafra pipe dream and jumped ship to join Gowon and started parroting Go on with one Nigeria....Azikiwe was always a very unstable character......

5 Likes

Re: Flashback: Why I Opposed Awolowo On Secession - Zik by Kukutente23: 4:00pm On Jun 06
ElSudani:

His fate was sealed even before 1914. The day Iboland came under British rule is more like it.
Maybe before that sef
Maybe the Berlin conference

3 Likes

Re: Flashback: Why I Opposed Awolowo On Secession - Zik by AlexBells(m): 4:00pm On Jun 06
Kukutente23:

Ignorance, just like majority of the people, the 1915 amalgamation ended around 1958
Re: Flashback: Why I Opposed Awolowo On Secession - Zik by AlexBells(m): 4:01pm On Jun 06
TimeManager:

How did you join Nigeria?, did you dance into it or twerk into it?

-Kiss the truth!
So the British left and their amalgamation stood, ignorance mixed with slavery

1 Like

Re: Flashback: Why I Opposed Awolowo On Secession - Zik by DeadCountry: 4:08pm On Jun 06
hegelian:

this is what gives you joy..

Suffering of the people
Tribal Hatred
Ethnic Bigotry

The three things above are what gives you erection..
but Helinues why are you so evil and wicked, why are you so full of hate that all you want is the destruction of your country

omo your hatred is on another level..

Public enemy number 1 of nigeria
He is a Fulani, so you must understand his mentality. He has no place to call a home if his beloved cesspit is divided. His people are wanderers and have been chased out of virtually all the African countries where they migrated to and resided because they are a troublesome group by nature.

When they stepped foot into the cesspit you know today as nigeria in 1804, they met people that are muguish in nature and until today, those mugus especially my own people, the Igbos have remain that muguish and refused to understand exactly whom these people are.

Example is the criminal peter obi that led many foolish Igbos to validate the cesspit in 2023 through their PVC idiocy and are again angling to repeat another round of PVC idiocy in 2027. Our only hope of separating from these vampires is Biafra and that's the reason why all reasonable ones amongst us Igbos and other Biafrans must support Simon Ekpa to achieve this aim.

1 Like

Re: Flashback: Why I Opposed Awolowo On Secession - Zik by kayusely70(m): 4:10pm On Jun 06
ElSudani:

The problem with zik is similar to what we experience with Ibos today. They always want to go the opposite way on everything with Yoruba, whether it is in their interest or not is secondary.
Let's wait and watch where that would take them.

1 Like

Re: Flashback: Why I Opposed Awolowo On Secession - Zik by confusedlady(f): 4:10pm On Jun 06
gidgiddy:
This is another classic example of why the Nigerian, and indeed Africans, are backward

The white man comes from Europe, uses superior firepower to overrun your ancestors, bamboozled them all into a British colonial project called "Nigeria"

But long after the white man has gone back home, you are still killing your selves to preserve the country he created. You answer a name "Nigerian" that a white woman created in London as your national identity

When someone like Ojukwu, an indigenous son of the soil, wants to create a country, you fight war, kill your selves in the millions, just to uphold a country created by the white man

But there is nothing you as a black African will ever create that Will make the white man kill his white brother

An enforced illegal colonial contraption that the white man shed the blood of your ancestors to create, is what you now shed the blood of your African brother to uphold. This is what you call treason and terrorism.

Terrible

Oga,
You need to tell your governors, assembly men ,senators, ministers,councillors ,local government authorities,and house of representatives member to prepare an bill amending the constitution to include a referendum so that you can have your Biafra. The way of IPOB and terrorism can never work.....
But we all know your will never do this because you want to have your cake and eat it too.......you want Biafra and you want to enjoy the perks of belonging to Nigeria.....lol grin

5 Likes

Re: Flashback: Why I Opposed Awolowo On Secession - Zik by Kukutente23: 4:11pm On Jun 06
AlexBells:

Ignorance, just like majority of the people, the 1915 amalgamation ended around 1958
According to who?....
Re: Flashback: Why I Opposed Awolowo On Secession - Zik by gidgiddy: 4:13pm On Jun 06
TimeManager:

The decision several decades ago by that one man who represented the voice of the entire ndigbo is the reason you are where you are today. That man was your legitimate voice, he sealed your fate today.

-Kiss the truth!

And if another man called Lugard from Europe had not made you a Nigerian, you would not be one

Kiss the truth

2 Likes

Re: Flashback: Why I Opposed Awolowo On Secession - Zik by TimeManager(m): 4:14pm On Jun 06
AlexBells:

So the British left and their amalgamation stood, ignorance mixed with slavery
No, it didn't stand, it fell and that's why Nnamdi Kanu is the 3rd elected President of the federal republic of biafra.

-Kiss the truth!

5 Likes

Re: Flashback: Why I Opposed Awolowo On Secession - Zik by gidgiddy: 4:17pm On Jun 06
confusedlady:

Oga,
You need to tell your governors, assembly men ,senators, ministers,councillors ,local government authorities,and house of representatives member to prepare an bill amending the constitution to include a referendum so that you can have your Biafra. The way of IPOB and terrorism can never work.....
But we all know your will never do this because you want to have your cake and eat it too.......you want Biafra and you want to enjoy the perks of belonging to Nigeria.....lol grin

And which ministers, councillors, Senator did Lugard consult before deciding you and must be in one country?

1 Like

Re: Flashback: Why I Opposed Awolowo On Secession - Zik by TimeManager(m): 4:18pm On Jun 06
gidgiddy:

And if another man called Lugard from Europe had not made you a Nigerian, you would not be one

Kiss the truth
But you gladly accepted it when the same white colonialists carved out the eastern region and gave it to ibos to dominate. You should have resisted it.

-Kiss the truth!

5 Likes

Re: Flashback: Why I Opposed Awolowo On Secession - Zik by DMerciful(m): 4:23pm On Jun 06
As at the time Ojukwu was seceding, the constitution had been abrogated by the military and decrees were being used
JAMO84:
So as at the time Ojukwu was trying to remove Biafra from Nigeria, he was commiting treason and actually deserved to be shot dead at bar Beach.

Azikwe made sure Nigeria is indivisible, but his children are crying all over social media today, telling ordinary citizens like me to let them go, as if I used rope to tie them.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

So Ojukwu Ran Away With His Mercedes And His 3 Tons Of Luggage. Damn. / Amaechi To Get The Position He'd Always Wanted. / Abia State Government Owing Pensioners 8months Salary.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.