Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,603 members, 7,878,730 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 04:38 AM

Have You Used This Tomatoes To Cook Before? - Food (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Have You Used This Tomatoes To Cook Before? (46369 Views)

Lady Shows Off Tomatoes And Peppers She Bought For 7k, Laments About High Cost / How Much Is This Tomatoes Worth In Your Present Location / Lessel In Benue Where A Basket Of Tomatoes Goes For N150 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Used This Tomatoes To Cook Before? by ayolayo0405(m): 11:52am On Jun 10
Lol, some people will confidently type what they know nothing about and mislead people, make your research before affirming things online, this is a social space.

It's called tomato Elejo (snake tomato) I used to eat it back then when I was staying with my parent, my dad used to plant it and within 3 months, it's ready for harvest. If you eat it once you will discard the regular tomato.

99thEnemy:
Those are NOT tomatoes.
It’s a type of melon.

Tomatoes are berries.

See people just quick to now believe those are tomatoes.

Nigerians are naively gullible.
Re: Have You Used This Tomatoes To Cook Before? by finallybusy: 11:53am On Jun 10
I don’t know those things and have never seen them before. Sha, na these kind random fruits or vegetables dey contain plenty benefits for human body. Let me Google the name and find out.
Re: Have You Used This Tomatoes To Cook Before? by obembet(f): 11:54am On Jun 10
OZIOGU1:

My tears dropped when i saw this, i remenber my mum of blessed memory, how she will go to the back of our house and plug these and before you could say jack, stew is ready... i wish she could be alive to see where grace has taken me to...May her soul continue to find eternal rest.

May her soul rest in peace 💖
Re: Have You Used This Tomatoes To Cook Before? by Edcene2010(m): 11:56am On Jun 10
Tokskob2008:
It has gotten to the level we now look for alternatives for almost every food item in this country and they say we are moving forward and we shouldn't complain

Abeg who sabi alternatives to garri and beans grin

Alternative to garri is "eeri " ogi
Beans: soya bean
Re: Have You Used This Tomatoes To Cook Before? by doggedfighter(f): 11:56am On Jun 10
micxwell:

Lol, they're tomatoes and are quite easy to cultivate. The one below is presently in my compound. You can see they were planted in bagco bags.

Wow, seems many have been using this.
Will the colour turn to red later ?
Re: Have You Used This Tomatoes To Cook Before? by CaptainGo: 12:00pm On Jun 10
Nomyth:
This is a very good alternative to tomatoes.

The thing is very delicious and much thicker than tomatoes .

Please prepare without the skin.
smiley
Re: Have You Used This Tomatoes To Cook Before? by Love800(m): 12:02pm On Jun 10
Where can one buy it?
Nomyth:
This is a very good alternative to tomatoes.

The thing is very delicious and much thicker than tomatoes .

Please prepare without the skin.
Re: Have You Used This Tomatoes To Cook Before? by 99thEnemy(m): 12:05pm On Jun 10
ayolayo0405:
Lol, some people will confidently type what they know nothing about and mislead people, make your research before affirming things online, this is a social space.

It's called tomato Elejo (snake tomato) I used to eat it back then when I was staying with my parent, my dad used to plant it and within 3 months, it's ready for harvest. If you eat it once you will discard the regular tomato.

Well, you confidently displayed your ignorance.

What you are referring to is Snake gourd
It has never been a tomato, but rather considered a substitute for tomatoes hence people now call it tomatoes or Snake tomatoes.

calling it tomatoes is a figure of speech (a metonymy) and doesn’t make it a real tomato.

You are very guilty of what you accused me of.

Next time don’t be this ignorant.

1 Like

Re: Have You Used This Tomatoes To Cook Before? by Love800(m): 12:06pm On Jun 10
Is it sold in the markets?
Alamkir:

I plant it every year in my backyard for 5yrs now, iam surprised people are just knowing now because tomatoes are cost. Nigerians like to focus on one food without trying others, thats the reason some food are so expensive. It grows easily, doesn't need much rain and lt has to be completely red (not the one you posted above) for it to be sweet like tomato, but I still mix mine with tomatoes to get the combine nutrition.
Re: Have You Used This Tomatoes To Cook Before? by Love800(m): 12:08pm On Jun 10
I want to ask, is the regular tomatoe expensive than garden egg?
Just asking.
Helpfromabove1:

Yes it a nice tomato my wife planted it in my garden and we have been eating it since last year
Re: Have You Used This Tomatoes To Cook Before? by ufotunang: 12:08pm On Jun 10
Renewed hope tomatoes 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: Have You Used This Tomatoes To Cook Before? by Mcslize: 12:09pm On Jun 10
doggedfighter:

Mcslize, you are just forming egbon 😂

If we check well you may just be 22😂

You no well. 👀 Old man like me? Me wey belong to the council of Nairaland elders na be 22? You dey jonse ni? I no be small pikin o. I am a sweet looking, hotcake and very respectable and reputable young looking man in his mid 30th. I just celebrated 13,150 days on earth a week ago. You dey whine me?

Better withdraw that your statement now before I summon you to the council of Nairaland elders. Don't say I didn't warn you baby girl.

1 Like

Re: Have You Used This Tomatoes To Cook Before? by Love800(m): 12:10pm On Jun 10
Together with the skin?
Is it sold in the markets?
Oluwasaudy:

Yes it's tomato ...this one of the species of tomato used in making tin tomatoes and the rest.....it's very good and economical ....

All you do is allow it to be a lil ripe ..open it up ..you see the tomatoes inside..remove the seeds in the tomatoes ...blend the red tomatoes with the skin with your rodo and onions and thank me later ....I have it planted in my compound ...
Re: Have You Used This Tomatoes To Cook Before? by Love800(m): 12:12pm On Jun 10
Why mixing with normal tomatoe. Cant it be cooked alone?
EMETOALEXI:
It taste good. Infact, we used it over the weekend for stew. But you need to mix it with the normal tomatoes.
Re: Have You Used This Tomatoes To Cook Before? by Karleb(m): 12:16pm On Jun 10
This tomato is actually very good. Hardship or no hardship.

I recommend it's usage. It has better benefits than the processed tomatoes.

It does taste a little funny tho. But it grows really fast with large fruits too.

1 Like

Re: Have You Used This Tomatoes To Cook Before? by Love800(m): 12:17pm On Jun 10
Will you mix it with the normal tomatoe when cooking?

Where is it sold?
Desusi:
An excellent tomatoes better than conventional ones.Once its ripe, extract the red succulent inside the pod,make sure the seed are removed carefully, grind it.lobatan! It will look like Derica tomato.Although the taste is quite different from the normal ones.Add pepper and Maggie.
Re: Have You Used This Tomatoes To Cook Before? by ayolayo0405(m): 12:18pm On Jun 10
Now that you made your research, you were able to give a formal information about the product rather than the previous post that was misleading
99thEnemy:

Well, you confidently displayed your ignorance.

What you are referring to is Snake gourd
It has never been a tomato, but rather considered a substitute for tomatoes hence people now call it tomatoes or Snake tomatoes.

calling it tomatoes is a figure of speech (a metonymy) and doesn’t make it a real tomato.

You are very guilty of what you accused me of.

Next time don’t be this ignorant.
Re: Have You Used This Tomatoes To Cook Before? by 99thEnemy(m): 12:24pm On Jun 10
ayolayo0405:
Now that you made your research, you were able to give a formal information about the product rather than the previous post that was misleading
There was nothing misleading about the post,

I clearly states that those are NOT tomatoes, and also clearly stated that it is a type of MELON (I should have rather put it as belongs to same family as melon)

Prove me wrong.
Re: Have You Used This Tomatoes To Cook Before? by IbrahimSkiba(f): 12:26pm On Jun 10
Olachase:
which one be this one again

we no even day think about balance diet again we just day eat make we no die yet grin grin grin

Werey grin
Re: Have You Used This Tomatoes To Cook Before? by Joesno(m): 12:27pm On Jun 10
oyeb15:
My mom. She will first boil it. It's more nutritious than tomatoes.

Who did the scientific experimentation nd concluded it's more nutritious than the conventional tomatoes?

Pls attach a link source, Thank you!
Re: Have You Used This Tomatoes To Cook Before? by StJasper(m): 12:32pm On Jun 10
obembet:
Heard this is tomato,
where is it found and have you used it to cook?

Very common in my hometown.

I've used it before and I can remember my wife cooked with it around late last year or early this year.

Planning to plant it in my compound.

1 Like

Re: Have You Used This Tomatoes To Cook Before? by EZENDIZUOGU(m): 12:34pm On Jun 10
Yes naw, we call it tomato agwo in Igbo language , meaning snake tomatoes grin. i ate it when i was small then very sweet cool

1 Like

Re: Have You Used This Tomatoes To Cook Before? by allthingsgood: 12:49pm On Jun 10
Tokskob2008:
It has gotten to the level we now look for alternatives for almost every food item in this country and they say we are moving forward and we shouldn't complain

Abeg who sabi alternatives to garri and beans grin

At least u have data to complain
Re: Have You Used This Tomatoes To Cook Before? by Damilola20000: 12:50pm On Jun 10
NwaNimo1:
How can that be tomato?

Is tomato my mom do use it to cook for us back then Is just like tomatoes

1 Like

Re: Have You Used This Tomatoes To Cook Before? by MajorOvakporaye(f): 12:57pm On Jun 10
reiddecuti:
And the gullible ones still believe this country will get better where;

- There's no consequences for decision or indecision taken by the leaders.

- The leaders loot to high heaven and nothing happens.

They always have stupid people supporting them.
Re: Have You Used This Tomatoes To Cook Before? by Rodinat: 12:58pm On Jun 10
ItisWell22:
Agricultural science abi crop science people, come and shed more light… 🫣

It's called snake tomato,it's a local specie of tomato plant and highly nutritious with special aroma and natural colour like tomato paste.
You remove the dark seed by peeling the red fleshy cover and blend with the gourd.
Once the root is in your garden and it dry off during dry season,it will pick up when rain start.Its life saver now.

1 Like

Re: Have You Used This Tomatoes To Cook Before? by Donyenye: 1:02pm On Jun 10
I no dey see am again, but i don eat am before. Is not really palatable though 🤷‍♂️

1 Like

Re: Have You Used This Tomatoes To Cook Before? by OZIOGU1: 1:05pm On Jun 10
Yemike:

Amen.
I can feel the emotions in your text, tough time never last tough people do.

Mhen sometimes i wish i can avoid thinking about the whole scenarios surrounding her death, but i wish i could just have chance to show appreciation for all her struggles, it breaks me down totally....Thank you for your kind words.
Re: Have You Used This Tomatoes To Cook Before? by OZIOGU1: 1:05pm On Jun 10
obembet:

May her soul rest in peace 💖

Amen

1 Like

Re: Have You Used This Tomatoes To Cook Before? by JONSYN7154: 1:11pm On Jun 10
doggedfighter:
Never seen it before.

Only heard of it on Nairaland.
den u be tata

1 Like

Re: Have You Used This Tomatoes To Cook Before? by prigoz(m): 1:19pm On Jun 10
Please where are the group " this administration will favor me and my family" crew. This is just the preamble, by the time we get to the main topic. Meanwhile Tinubu till 2040
Re: Have You Used This Tomatoes To Cook Before? by Riskymarvelous(m): 1:26pm On Jun 10
Wow... very splendid I really love it I even av it at my backyard here if you need just DM I'm very very serious I can supply you with a very Lower price

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad / Costing Of Rice For 200 People / Bought A Tin Of Peak Milk And Milo For Four Thousand Seven Hundred Naira

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.