Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,841 members, 7,945,697 topics. Date: Wednesday, 11 September 2024 at 12:48 AM

Can a politician control his followers? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can a politician control his followers? (455 Views)

2023: Atiku Must Control His Cabal - Zakari Alfa / Ubani: Fani-Kayode Must Learn How To Control His Temper In Public / See What A Twitter User Told His Followers Supporting Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can a politician control his followers? by Sapasenator: 4:32pm On Jun 10
The topic is a question that has been dancing precariously at the edge of my mind for a while now and I have decided for us to hash it out and have your opinion on the matter.

Does a politician has any form of control over his followers? If your answer is a yes, how exactly is the nature of such a control?

I mean how is a politician expected to exert the control? Can you tell me?

I understand a situation where the followers are being funded and deciding to cut fund might be an effective form of control and aside from that, how is PO expected to control the Obidients?

Remember, these are independent adults who are responsible for their own actions and live geographically apart from each other. Now if we agree that a politician has no control over the supporter, why do we have the tendency to blame a politician for the attitudes of the followers? I don't see any sense in that. I cannot blame Tinubu for attitudes of an APC supporter for example.

Now, this brings me to the elephant in the room, why is Peter Obi expected to control his followers? Even if he desires to, how can that be accomplished as he has zero control over them. Understandablly, I find the behavior of Obedients irritable sometimes but that is hardly Peter Obi's faults, Buhari and APC failing Nigerians the past 9 years is the reason we have the "Obedients" movement today.
Please stop the expectation of assuming PO has any form of control over his followers and quit blaming him for their actions.

My dear APC supporter blaming Obi for the action of strangers, can you share ways Obi can exert control over the "obedients"? You expect to condemn his followers right?

I am waiting on pins and needles.

Re: Can a politician control his followers? by EmperorCaesar(m): 4:59pm On Jun 10
If he cant control a population of clowns thats just a lil above 5000, how then does he plan to handle and pilot the affairs of a complex country like Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Can a politician control his followers? by Sapasenator: 5:00pm On Jun 10
EmperorCaesar:
If he cant control a population of clowns thats just a lil above 5000, how then does he plan to handle and pilot the affairs of a complex country like Nigeria

Can you share the nature of the control? How will he control them? Does he even know them? How is the control to be achieved?
Re: Can a politician control his followers? by FourQu: 5:01pm On Jun 10
EmperorCaesar:

Most intelligent how far cool

https://www.nairaland.com/8117580/reason-bateria-gave-us-political

I must make you famous on nairaland. How can we have such a human being as intelligent as you are and still be suffering from bad leadership (which you always support) wink
Re: Can a politician control his followers? by thesicilian: 5:10pm On Jun 10
Sapasenator:

Can you share the nature of the control? How will he control them? Does he even know them? How is the control to be achieved?

He doesn't have to know them. He can start by releasing press statements distancing himself and his followers from online bullying of notable figures in the society. Or maybe even going the extra mile to prove there's no bad blood between him and those figures being insulted by his followers.
The way he uses his words in public matters a lot also. Even when you criticise, you should be seen to be civil, attacking issues and not persons. Because whether you like it or not, your followers tend to do and say what they think you believe or would have done in similar circumstances.

1 Like

Re: Can a politician control his followers? by Sapasenator: 5:13pm On Jun 10
thesicilian:

He doesn't have to know them. He can start by releasing press statements distancing himself and his followers from online bullying of notable figures in the society. Or maybe even going the extra mile to prove there's no bad blood between him and those figures being insulted by his followers.

A politician looking for votes distancing himself from his followers? Can you give an instance in the history of Nigeria or the world where politicians have ever distanced themselves from their followers? Even when a coffin was carried for GEJ, can you show anywhere where APC condemned and distanced themselves.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can a politician control his followers? by Ogonimilitant(m): 5:14pm On Jun 10
Ok
Re: Can a politician control his followers? by FourQu: 5:29pm On Jun 10
EmperorCaesar:

Can you control your own life? undecided

https://www.nairaland.com/8117580/reason-bateria-gave-us-political

Even the lies you tell yourself is uncontrollable angry come remain your full life cry
Re: Can a politician control his followers? by Sapasenator: 5:37pm On Jun 10
If a politician cannot control his followers, is it not latently unfair to blame PO based off the actions of his independent followers.
Re: Can a politician control his followers? by thesicilian: 5:49pm On Jun 10
Sapasenator:

A politician looking for votes distancing himself from his followers? Can you give an instance in the history of Nigeria or the world where politicians have ever distanced themselves from their followers? Even when a coffin was carried for GEJ, can you show anywhere where APC condemned and distanced themselves.

This is where you guys always get it wrong. You claim he's different from those in PDP and APC, yet when unpalatable behaviours are called out you say start comparing to what those others did. How is he now different?
Every good politician distances himself from the behaviours of his unruly followers.

1 Like

Re: Can a politician control his followers? by Sapasenator: 5:50pm On Jun 10
thesicilian:

This is where you guys always get it wrong. You claim he's different from those in PDP and APC, yet when unpalatable behaviours are called out you say start comparing to what those others did. How is he now different?
Every good politician distances himself from the behaviours of his unruly followers.

Wrong! I don't think he is different.

1 Like

Re: Can a politician control his followers? by thesicilian: 7:33pm On Jun 10
Sapasenator:

Wrong! I don't think he is different.
Of course
Re: Can a politician control his followers? by helinues: 7:35pm On Jun 10
That's where wards meetings takes effects .

What's the population of the supporters compared to the remaining people he would be governing.

It's a big sign of incompetent if a politician can't control his followers/supporters
Re: Can a politician control his followers? by helinues: 7:39pm On Jun 10
Sapasenator:
If a politician cannot control his followers, is it not latently unfair to blame PO based off the actions of his independent followers.

A politician that can't control his followers is not quarter fit to be a president. If he can't control ordinary his supporters, how can he control complicated Nigeria?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can a politician control his followers? by hedonido: 7:42pm On Jun 10
Only criminals who buy and manipulate their way into power like their Gbola Tinumpee can control their "followers".

Very useless bunch who need to be lyyncheddd.

They have seen a pure Democrat with genuine, productive, volunteer followers who believe in his cause, and now they are using their oily mouths to bleat yen yen yen like smelly goats (aka ewure). .. Eh o, I I supported Peter Obi, but the behaviour of 'his' Obidients have made me change my mind about him. Ehnn o, Peter Obi should call 'his' Obidients to order. They can't be abusing everybody and he is keeping quiet.

Typical amala and ewedu reasoning.
Re: Can a politician control his followers? by Brendaniel: 8:23pm On Jun 10
thesicilian:

Of course

So why then do you expect a different behavior from him and his supporters?
Re: Can a politician control his followers? by StreetFight: 8:24pm On Jun 10
Yes, the god of Politics and Economics Emilokan Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu Jagaban Borgu the City Boy Extraordinaire Omo Alhaja Abibatu Mogaji controls we his Disciples.

For example, when he told us not not allow Zombidients to vote in the last governorship election in Lagos, we obeyed and we did not allow you to vote. If today he says we should stop Zombidients from breathing, immediately we will take action and stop you from breathing.

So, what other nonsensical question do you have in your brain?
Re: Can a politician control his followers? by Brendaniel: 8:26pm On Jun 10
helinues:

A politician that can't control his followers is not quarter fit to be a president. If he can't control ordinary his supporters, how can he control complicated Nigeria?

So are you trying to tell us it was Buhari who controlled his supporters to go and kill the southern corpers after he lost election in 2011?

Are you trying to say it was Tinubu who controlled his supporters to carry a coffin for Jonathan and wear a goat name with Jonathan?
Re: Can a politician control his followers? by Brendaniel: 8:29pm On Jun 10
StreetFight:
Yes, the god of Politics and Economics Emilokan Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu Jagaban Borgu the City Boy Extraordinaire Omo Alhaja Abibatu Mogaji controls we his Disciples.

For example, when he told us not not allow Zombidients to vote in the last governorship election in Lagos, we obeyed and we did not allow you to vote. If today he says we should stop Zombidients from breathing, immediately we will take action and stop you from breathing.

So, what other nonsensical question do you have in your brain?

So if Tinubu tells you to jump inside fire you will jump?

So why do you get angry when you are called a zombie?

Since you claim Tinubu controls you to do anything he wants...
Re: Can a politician control his followers? by thesicilian: 8:59pm On Jun 10
Brendaniel:

So why then do you expect a different behavior from him and his supporters?
Perhaps you need to read my write up more objectively
Re: Can a politician control his followers? by Brendaniel: 9:01pm On Jun 10
thesicilian:

Perhaps you need to read my write up more objectively

But you agreed with the OP that Peter Obi is not different from Tinubu and Buhari?
Re: Can a politician control his followers? by thesicilian: 9:30pm On Jun 10
Brendaniel:

But you agreed with the OP that Peter Obi is not different from Tinubu and Buhari?
My submission was more of "since you claim he's different" and "if he's actually different as you say..."

Peter Obi is not different from Tinubu or Atiku. That is a stand I've always maintained since he declared his intention to run. In short it is my strong opinion that he's the worst of the 3, because he's not just corrupt like the other 2, he's in addition inexperienced, and pretends to be incorruptible. Not to talk of his unruly, disrepectful and immature followers.
Re: Can a politician control his followers? by Sapasenator: 9:35pm On Jun 10
thesicilian:

My submission was more of "since you claim he's different" and "if he's actually different as you say..."

Peter Obi is not different from Tinubu or Atiku. That is a stand I've always maintained since he declared his intention to run. In short it is my strong opinion that he's the worst of the 3, because he's not just corrupt like the other 2, he's in addition inexperienced, and pretends to be incorruptible. Not to talk of his unruly, disrepectful and immature followers.

I lost faith in most Nigerian politicians to be honest, It is more of smoke and mirror to me. What i am trying to point out in this thread is there is no way a politician can control his followers if not financially responsible for them. Also, its not fair to hold a politician accountable for actions of his followers.
Re: Can a politician control his followers? by Brendaniel: 9:40pm On Jun 10
thesicilian:

So if he is worse of the 3 why then do you demand a better behavior from him and his supporters?
Re: Can a politician control his followers? by thesicilian: 9:58pm On Jun 10
Brendaniel:

So if he is worse of the 3 why then do you demand a better behavior from him and his supporters?

Re: Can a politician control his followers? by Brendaniel: 10:06pm On Jun 10
[quote author=thesicilian post=130408996][/quote]

Re: Can a politician control his followers? by paramakina202: 10:17pm On Jun 10
Sapasenator:
The topic is a question that has been dancing precariously at the edge of my mind for a while now and I have decided for us to hash it out and have your opinion on the matter.

Does a politician has any form of control over his followers? If your answer is a yes, how exactly is the nature of such a control?

I mean how is a politician expected to exert the control? Can you tell me?

I understand a situation where the followers are being funded and deciding to cut fund might be an effective form of control and aside from that, how is PO expected to control the Obidients?

Remember, these are independent adults who are responsible for their own actions and live geographically apart from each other. Now if we agree that a politician has no control over the supporter, why do we have the tendency to blame a politician for the attitudes of the followers? I don't see any sense in that. I cannot blame Tinubu for attitudes of an APC supporter for example.

Now, this brings me to the elephant in the room, why is Peter Obi expected to control his followers? Even if he desires to, how can that be accomplished as he has zero control over them. Understandablly, I find the behavior of Obedients irritable sometimes but that is hardly Peter Obi's faults, Buhari and APC failing Nigerians the past 9 years is the reason we have the "Obedients" movement today.
Please stop the expectation of assuming PO has any form of control over his followers and quit blaming him for their actions.

My dear APC supporter blaming Obi for the action of strangers, can you share ways Obi can exert control over the "obedients"? You expect to condemn his followers right?

I am waiting on pins and needles.

He controls them to an extent if not there would have been street protest after the election but what he can't control is individual freedom of speech or control what they post in social media.
Re: Can a politician control his followers? by AcadaWriter: 10:21pm On Jun 10
Ok ... However, need help with your academic papers? Contact us.
Re: Can a politician control his followers? by Sapasenator: 10:28pm On Jun 10
paramakina202:

He controls them to an extent if not there would have been street protest after the election but what he can't control is individual freedom of speech or control what they post in social media.

This is an interesting take and I am partially in agreement. Are you saying that Obi can tell his followers to protest and they will listen to him? I am curious as to the level of control PO will have on his follower. Aside from Trump, I have not seen a politician able to directly control their supporters.
Re: Can a politician control his followers? by paramakina202: 10:41pm On Jun 10
Sapasenator:

This is an interesting take and I am partially in agreement. Are you saying that Obi can tell his followers to protest and they will listen to him? I am curious as to the level of control PO will have on his follower. Aside from Trump, I have not seen a politician able to directly control their supporters.

His followers were willing to to take the streets after the shambolic election but he discouraged them that he will regain his mandate through the judiciary.If PO was the radical type there would have been a serious political crisis.
Re: Can a politician control his followers? by Sapasenator: 10:52pm On Jun 10
paramakina202:

His followers were willing to to take the streets after the shambolic election but he discouraged them that he will regain his mandate through the judiciary.If PO was the radical type there would have been a serious political crisis.

All Nigerian elections have been shambolic from recent history, The north and west never voted for LP in the last elections, How would he have won? If he had called for a protest, I don't think anyone would have taken him seriously. If APC did not win the election, it would have gone to PDP naturally not a third position holder. I honestly do not get it.
Re: Can a politician control his followers? by paramakina202: 11:06pm On Jun 10
Sapasenator:

All Nigerian elections have been shambolic from recent history, The north and west never voted for LP in the last elections, How would he have won? If he had called for a protest, I don't think anyone would have taken him seriously. If APC did not win the election, it would have gone to PDP naturally not a third position holder. I honestly do not get it.

Who said you must win Northwest before you can win presidential election in Nigeria?
Why didn't Buhari win with it in 3 occasions?The least INEC owe Nigerians is credible election.Let it be free and fair.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Prof Humphrey Nwosu Was The Real Hero Of Democracy / 3 Reasons Why The August Protest Will Fail. / If You Didn't Protest When They Told You IREV Malfunctioned, Shame On You!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.