Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,621 members, 7,878,795 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 06:59 AM

UK University Offers To Fund Flights Home For Nigerian Students Ordered To Leave - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UK University Offers To Fund Flights Home For Nigerian Students Ordered To Leave (32897 Views)

Nigerian Students In Teesside University Ordered To Leave UK / University Of Uyo Cult Clash: One Killed; Students Ordered To Vacate Hostels / Kaduna State University offers new courses into the Faculty of Allied Sciences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

UK University Offers To Fund Flights Home For Nigerian Students Ordered To Leave by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:56pm On Jun 11

Teesside University has announced plans to assist crisis-hit Nigerian students with funding for flights home, following a currency crisis that left many struggling to pay tuition fees.

The university had previously reported the students to the Home Office, resulting in their removal from courses and orders to leave the UK.

However, after protests and intervention from the Nigerian government, the university has re-enrolled some affected students and established a travel fund, according to BBC News.

While this move has been seen as a positive step, one student has expressed concerns that the offer does not adequately address the broader impacts of the crisis, which continue to mount.

"The wide-rippling effects of this are unmanageable and piling up," the student said.

According to the BBC, Teesside University in Middlesbrough withdrew sponsorship for several students and notified the Home Office after they failed to pay tuition fees due to financial difficulties. The students, from Nigeria, had their savings depleted by the country's severe economic crisis. The university's change from a seven-installment payment plan to a three-installment plan further exacerbated their financial struggles.

A local food charity reported that 75% of its clients are now Nigerian students struggling to make ends meet. As a result, some students missed tuition payments, were barred from their studies, and received letters from the Home Office ordering them to leave the UK.

In May, a Teesside University spokesperson stated that non-payment of tuition fees constituted a violation of visa sponsorship terms, necessitating the university's reporting to the Home Office.

However, the university has now reversed its decision, allowing some affected students to continue their studies. A spokesperson confirmed that a relief fund has been established to assist a small group of students who need to return to Nigeria, covering unexpected travel costs.

The university has offered some students the option to complete their studies remotely from Nigeria or return to the UK at a later date.

According to the BBC, some affected students have initiated legal appeals against the decision to deport them to Nigeria.

A student, who wishes to remain anonymous, expressed disappointment and distrust towards the university's offer, feeling that it neglects the significant impact of their actions on those affected.

He said: "I was asked to return home, pay the balance remaining and apply to return at a later date, but I don't trust them now.

"I feel this is a way to escape responsibility and they may not let me come back.

"If they did, it would cost me thousands to pay flights, visa fees and NHS fees again.

"I've already spent so much coming here and now they want me to go back without any kind of certification to reflect my achievements.

"The whole aim of coming here was to study, we haven't committed any kind of crime.

"There's been no apology for the stress and trauma the university has put me through."

In May, the Nigerian government said it would intervene in the face-off between the management of Teesside University and Nigerians studying in the school who faced deportation from the UK.

The students had been told to leave the UK after failing to pay their outstanding tuition. They were thrown off university courses after the naira devaluation crisis left them struggling to pay tuition fees on time.

The government said the delegation would be led by a representative of the Nigerian Embassy in the UK, Amb. Christian Okeke and leaders of the Nigerian Students Union in the UK would visit the school to meet with the management on the allegations raised by the students.

In a statement released on Wednesday, May 29 by the Director of Media, Public Relations and Protocol, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM), Abdur-Rahman Balogun, the affected students passionately narrated their ordeal and were optimistic about a positive intervention.
SaharaReporters

5 Likes

Re: UK University Offers To Fund Flights Home For Nigerian Students Ordered To Leave by doggedfighter(f): 3:57pm On Jun 11
Are those the students up there ?

42 Likes 7 Shares

Re: UK University Offers To Fund Flights Home For Nigerian Students Ordered To Leave by opamoses1: 4:01pm On Jun 11
Who goes to the UK to study in this time and era when your papa is not a millionaire or billionaire.

If you are not studying nursing, just forget it. It's money down the drain.

125 Likes 10 Shares

Re: UK University Offers To Fund Flights Home For Nigerian Students Ordered To Leave by raskymonojendor: 4:02pm On Jun 11
doggedfighter:
Yes na. Student visa na format to immigrate. That's why the UK Gov made a recent rule to stop students from brining their kids and spouse. cheesy

118 Likes 9 Shares

Re: UK University Offers To Fund Flights Home For Nigerian Students Ordered To Leave by raskymonojendor: 4:02pm On Jun 11
opamoses1:
Who goes to the UK to study in this time and era when your papa is not a millionaire or billionaire.

100%

83 Likes 3 Shares

Re: UK University Offers To Fund Flights Home For Nigerian Students Ordered To Leave by LegendHero(m): 4:04pm On Jun 11
Lol, return to Nigeria and complete studies remotely? Does UK not know the reason why the student went to UK in the first place? Do they think it’s because of certificate alone?

However, the university has now reversed its decision, allowing some affected students to continue their studies. A spokesperson confirmed that a relief fund has been established to assist a small group of students who need to return to Nigeria, covering unexpected travel costs.

The university has offered some students the option to complete their studies remotely from Nigeria or return to the UK at a later date.

113 Likes 7 Shares

Re: UK University Offers To Fund Flights Home For Nigerian Students Ordered To Leave by LegendHero(m): 4:04pm On Jun 11
I find it very disturbing that people will go to the UK and depend on people in Nigeria to pay their schoolfees after they made the first semester payment.

It seems UK government policy also added to this. In USA, if you can’t pay schoolfees, there are some schools that will still allow you to progress just that they’ll not release your transcript/diploma after you graduate.

Also it’s more easier to get jobs UDT to offset some of the bills.

By the way, of all Nigerians student schooling abroad in Canada, USA, Finland, Australia, and etc. Why is it that it is only UK people that can’t pay school fees and facing deportation?

168 Likes 15 Shares

Re: UK University Offers To Fund Flights Home For Nigerian Students Ordered To Leave by bigpicture001: 4:12pm On Jun 11
opamoses1:

Who told u nursing is highest paid or easiest to secure jobs.....ever of So no graph u..? Radiographer...etc..where yr knowledge stop na ein u just talk

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK University Offers To Fund Flights Home For Nigerian Students Ordered To Leave by 1Sharon(f): 7:04pm On Jun 11
LegendHero:
Lol, return to Nigeria and complete studies remotely? Does UK not know the reason why the student went to UK in the first place? Do they think it’s because of certificate alone?

Why do you think they're offering them a free flight ticket home? 🤣 They want them out of there.

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UK University Offers To Fund Flights Home For Nigerian Students Ordered To Leave by Macdeey: 7:39pm On Jun 11
cool

When you vote a Drug Baron as Your President 😡😡😡

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: UK University Offers To Fund Flights Home For Nigerian Students Ordered To Leave by helinues: 7:46pm On Jun 11
O set go

1 Like

Re: UK University Offers To Fund Flights Home For Nigerian Students Ordered To Leave by nairaman66(m): 8:11pm On Jun 11
raskymonojendor:

Yes na. Student visa na format to immigrate. That's why the UK Gov made a recent rule to stop students from brining their kids and spouse. cheesy

The same system they created to milk Africans especially Nigerians. They should face Arabs that have turned their country into a stabbing spree!

8 Likes

Re: UK University Offers To Fund Flights Home For Nigerian Students Ordered To Leave by straighttalk(m): 4:18am On Jun 12
Okay

1 Like

Re: UK University Offers To Fund Flights Home For Nigerian Students Ordered To Leave by Diligence: 4:19am On Jun 12
Not Accepted! Counterproductive!

Fashion out a programme where those students COULD continue & complete their studies. Partner with Govt & Private Sectors for them to get employment & pay whatever they may be owing by instalments.

If Nigerian govt no wan help those students, British Schools should THINKOUTTABOX!

3 Likes

Re: UK University Offers To Fund Flights Home For Nigerian Students Ordered To Leave by saddler: 4:19am On Jun 12
Chai
Re: UK University Offers To Fund Flights Home For Nigerian Students Ordered To Leave by Blackhacker(m): 4:20am On Jun 12
Sincerely, I am afraid to continue my Student visa application to any UK university.

16 Likes

Re: UK University Offers To Fund Flights Home For Nigerian Students Ordered To Leave by Creamypie(m): 4:20am On Jun 12
Everywhere hook. What makes u.k think its because if education they went there?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK University Offers To Fund Flights Home For Nigerian Students Ordered To Leave by Nawa4nl: 4:33am On Jun 12
By the time the druglord has finished with nigeria , na cry we go all dey😖

APShlt is a curse 🤬

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UK University Offers To Fund Flights Home For Nigerian Students Ordered To Leave by ecomalchemistt(m): 4:34am On Jun 12
It’s about time , nothing is guaranteed.

Use your money chop, as e be now na survival of the fittest as everywhere choke on a pedestal.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK University Offers To Fund Flights Home For Nigerian Students Ordered To Leave by Forumites: 4:37am On Jun 12
If not for bad and heartless politicians, wetin person wan go do for UK.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UK University Offers To Fund Flights Home For Nigerian Students Ordered To Leave by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:37am On Jun 12
This is not fair. cry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UK University Offers To Fund Flights Home For Nigerian Students Ordered To Leave by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:38am On Jun 12
doggedfighter:

What do you think? undecided
Re: UK University Offers To Fund Flights Home For Nigerian Students Ordered To Leave by LEGALSER: 4:40am On Jun 12
OLAADEGBU:

SaharaReporters

ThankGod say I no go this school likewise East London, I for hear am grin cheesy cheesy grin

Make I no lie you, I struggled and if no be say God use two guys help me, omo I for run mental. My care agency was used by God too Ensuring I do my legal 20hrs weekly and na so I pay almost 8,000 pounds from there oooo.. grin cheesy grin cheesy

19 Likes

Re: UK University Offers To Fund Flights Home For Nigerian Students Ordered To Leave by DMerciful(m): 4:41am On Jun 12
Nigerians had it coming!
We warned you guys not to give power to the satanic party APC.

Join the Obidient movement to rescue Nigeria

30 Likes

Re: UK University Offers To Fund Flights Home For Nigerian Students Ordered To Leave by Chikel20000(m): 4:42am On Jun 12
Nigerians too d form....u fit try that nonsense in Nigerian university n go sott free?....forming nonsense right

2 Likes

Re: UK University Offers To Fund Flights Home For Nigerian Students Ordered To Leave by StOla: 4:43am On Jun 12
It is time the Nigerian government places a 10year embargo on the siphoning of Nigerian earned funds to sustain academic infrastructures in UK, US, Canada, and any other country Nigerians are going to for education tourism.

Only a foolish country allow people to ship off funds earned in that economy to benefit another economy, without paying any tax to the economy where the funds was earned.

They will sell property in Nigeria and pocket all the money to go donate to another economy, yet no tax is paid on the sale of that property to the economy where the wealth was acquired.

Imagine all the best income earners in Nigeria spending the bulk of their Nigerian earnings on the undergraduate education of their children or their own postgraduate education abroad, after the heavily subsidized undergraduate education that Nigeria provided them to secure those jobs in Nigeria that funded their ambition to wear winter jackets in Europe and North America?

Any country that does not understand the intricacies of economic national security, will keep wondering why its economy continue to flounder.

Even the countries receiving Nigerian funds know how to prioritize their own national economic security, and make policy changes from time to time to ensure that the academic tourists remain only a source of net foreign remittance into their own economy instead of a net subtractive parasite.

I will say it again, the prevailing time is not one to allow your best income earners take funds out of the Nigerian economy without as much as a 50kobo tax on their destructive drain of our national wealth.

Anyone that wants to go abroad for education should find a way to get a job in that country and raise the funds from the income earned in that country.

CBN should with immediate effect prohibit any transfers from a Nigerian account to any foreign academic institution for a period of 10years, while the government should simultaneously raise the school fees to something tangible that you save for years ahead, instead of the rubbish fees that is not up to the pocket money the students spend in a month.

Or is UK or Canada or US tuition fees for local student the kind of amount that local student will spend on buying burgers in a month?

So why are Nigerian universities charging money for 1month shawarma as annual tuition fees?

Charge well, pay lecturers well, and still have enough to upgrade and maintain the education infrastructure in Nigeria.

Goddammit!

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: UK University Offers To Fund Flights Home For Nigerian Students Ordered To Leave by TheBillyonaire: 4:44am On Jun 12
The UK Education is just a scam to collect money from ignorant Nigerians. A case of rippers getting ripped. We all know they wanted to go there so they can find a means to live permanently in the UK and speak 'innit' / grin

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK University Offers To Fund Flights Home For Nigerian Students Ordered To Leave by SpatialKing(m): 4:48am On Jun 12
Same UK... Lol

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK University Offers To Fund Flights Home For Nigerian Students Ordered To Leave by fullclub: 4:49am On Jun 12
embarassed
Re: UK University Offers To Fund Flights Home For Nigerian Students Ordered To Leave by tuborme: 4:49am On Jun 12
These guys and their supporters have reduced Nigeria to nonsense

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK University Offers To Fund Flights Home For Nigerian Students Ordered To Leave by XtraFortunes: 4:49am On Jun 12
sad
Re: UK University Offers To Fund Flights Home For Nigerian Students Ordered To Leave by ironheart(m): 4:50am On Jun 12
Come back home, we get university here.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Peter Arotiba Is Overall Best In WASSCE / 500 Level FUTA Student Shot Dead By Police During A Peaceful Protest (photo) / Photo Of The Day - Boarding School Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.