Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,237 members, 7,897,221 topics. Date: Monday, 22 July 2024 at 10:33 AM

Why You Should Do Your Research Really Hard Before You Japa Os Relocate Abroad - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why You Should Do Your Research Really Hard Before You Japa Os Relocate Abroad (1624 Views)

Handworks To Learn In Nigeria Before You Japa / Family Regrets Selling House And Borrowing Money To Relocate Abroad,Now Stranded / Think Well Before You ‘Japa’ — Nigerian Man Shows Homeless People In US (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Should Do Your Research Really Hard Before You Japa Os Relocate Abroad by Papilagreen: 11:20am On Jun 24
Okay like I said I am so happy and can't wait for all your experience. But please just remember my tag. And tag me when you do..
I love you thinking ideology. I bet and believe America will work for you.
My prayers and plans right is may God grant you your heart desires.

Gerrard59:

The man you quoted can enter the US tomorrow if he wishes.

Regarding the bold, I hope you don't deactivate. Some of us would come here after 5 years to narrate our experiences. People need to see things from both sides of the coin. Is it not the US? We go enter that country.

The United States remains the best place for any black person to thrive economically, legal or illegal resident.
Re: Why You Should Do Your Research Really Hard Before You Japa Os Relocate Abroad by Gerrard59(m): 11:23am On Jun 24
Papilagreen:
Okay like I said I am so happy and can't wait for all your experience. But please just remember my tag. And tag me when you do..
I love you thinking ideology. I bet and believe America will work for you.
My prayers and plans right is may God grant you your heart desires.

Thank you very much. God keep us alive.
Re: Why You Should Do Your Research Really Hard Before You Japa Os Relocate Abroad by Papilagreen: 11:44am On Jun 24
Let me try and answer this question as easy and understandable as I can so you can grab a bit.
All this things I am about to tell you now I never knew till I got here and I learned the hard way .
One man was just saying in this comment that the American system is built to make every black man succeed lol I wish so.
Now first I want you to go on Google and type REDLINE crossing in America real estate.
I never knew this till I got here it was my own professor at school told me about this I was amazed.
Now secondly any house or landed property you buy in the US is never your after paying in full, you will continue to pay what we call property tax every year on that property please look up property tax and it's equivalent to how expensive your house is and when you buy the house you pay tax in summary everything you buy you pay tax. And before anybody come and say the tax is used for roads good health system etc
. I would say do your research again. That money is used to fund war one Israel Ukraine etc. you don't know this but americans hate their country America if you say am lying no ish infact baba i think am taking too much.
Do me a favor go on tiktok and type in

(American hate and cry for their jobs).
I bet you will see 100s of videos of American both black and white crying to hate their job because at the end of the month they don't have anything saved or not even enough to take them to the next month.
If you do that and watch like 7 different videos you might get the point . Na white man dey cry now. Americans hate their own country una dey shout buhari. It's so bad here that people oyinbo dey go front of white house building dey pour gas and lite them self up because they can't take it anymore.
But who am I to say.
They go show you say they have different foods to eat and cheap. Baba nothing cheap the cheap food that the poor American buy here from DG and wolly world here it's food pumped with hormones that's why they fat anyhow and they get sick easy with cancer and shit. They know but can't stop because they can only afford cheap food. America is a corporation only the rich get rich and the rest are poor and stuck in debt they can not pay till the end of days.
People dey tell u say u do 3 jobs to get plenty money build house or chill baba there ain't good jobs here for a black African man prove me wrong I still stand to be corrected on that.

You say they build house yes very true because they can never own a house here any property you own ain't yours and most of us here dey square together live like peasant
Here to go do odogwu for Nigeria that I can never do. I tried it and almost died I found out that good health is better than riches even the oyinbos here are depressed they find solace in drugs but what do I know nothing i guess.
My only advice is if you have a way to go to countries like Sweden finland Luxemburg Norway choose am first before you think of America ooo lol but still I am so happy you have plans to make it better in life.
Now I will tell you this just in the last two years alone I know about 12 people minimum have relocated from Nigeria to America with my help and the last person was my kid bro him dey disturb me bros I wan come I wan come now he is seeing the reality. He told me last month he said BRO AMERICA no worth the struggle I just laughed if he sees this text he will know I am talking about him cause he is here on NL. Bros in summary if you think you will come gere and make millions in minimum of 5 years, baba na ur ancestors dey deceive you be that.

Gerrard59:

The reason Americans don't have up to that amount saved has been explained below:

That said, it is always interesting how you people reel out expenses but never earnings. Dem dey owe una salary for there? Una no dey earn money wey una dey spend? Why the focus on expenses but not earnings? Do you spend out of thin air?

Also, if the US is so bad, how come Nigerians in the US are the biggest buyers of real estate in Nigeria? Yes, Nigerians abroad especially those in the US purchase more real estate assets in Nigeria than Nigerians in Nigeria.

https://businessday.ng/real-estate/article/70-of-nigerias-real-estate-investment-from-diaspora-expert/#:~:text=%E2%80%9COur%20recent%20survey%20shows%20that,Limited%20said%20at%20the%20event.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Do Your Research Really Hard Before You Japa Os Relocate Abroad by Papilagreen: 11:45am On Jun 24
Amen and amen
Gerrard59:

Thank you very much. God keep us alive.
Re: Why You Should Do Your Research Really Hard Before You Japa Os Relocate Abroad by Gerrard59(m): 2:52am On Jun 25
Papilagreen:
Let me try and answer this question as easy and understandable as I can so you can grab a bit.
All this things I am about to tell you now I never knew till I got here and I learned the hard way .
One man was just saying in this comment that the American system is built to make every black man succeed lol I wish so.
Now first I want you to go on Google and type REDLINE crossing in America real estate.
I never knew this till I got here it was my own professor at school told me about this I was amazed.
Now secondly any house or landed property you buy in the US is never your after paying in full, you will continue to pay what we call property tax every year on that property please look up property tax and it's equivalent to how expensive your house is and when you buy the house you pay tax in summary everything you buy you pay tax. And before anybody come and say the tax is used for roads good health system etc

A Nairalander, IbeOkehie, a naturalised American has written extensively about the bold. I am ignorant about the real estate industry in the US.

(American hate and cry for their jobs).
I bet you will see 100s of videos of American both black and white crying to hate their job because at the end of the month they don't have anything saved or not even enough to take them to the next month.
If you do that and watch like 7 different videos you might get the point . Na white man dey cry now. Americans hate their own country una dey shout buhari. It's so bad here that people oyinbo dey go front of white house building dey pour gas and lite them self up because they can't take it anymore.

The same applies to almost everywhere. Most people don't like their jobs, but they do so to pay the bills. Some places DON'T even have jobs in the first place. That is where it gets terrible - someone wants a job, but cannot find one because of fewer economic activities/opportunities.

But who am I to say.
They go show you say they have different foods to eat and cheap. Baba nothing cheap the cheap food that the poor American buy here from DG and wolly world here it's food pumped with hormones that's why they fat anyhow and they get sick easy with cancer and shit. They know but can't stop because they can only afford cheap food. America is a corporation only the rich get rich and the rest are poor and stuck in debt
they can not pay till the end of days.

Beans and garri prices have shot up in Nigeria. Garri o. The same garri Nairalanders used for cruise as comments back in 2012 - 2013.

People dey tell u say u do 3 jobs to get plenty money build house or chill baba there ain't good jobs here for a black African man prove me wrong I still stand to be corrected on that.

Please, this is not entirely true. In your introductory post, you mentioned having in-demand skills. There are Nigerians, both first generation and second generation, who have good jobs in the US. I have come across their names. The US rewards excellence, hard work, perseverance and determination. I have come across Nigerians and their profiles: they are doing wonderfully in the US. As an instance, see these Nigerians: http://www.thebridgeinitiative.org/mentors Check those based in the US and their profiles. One still has his Nairaland profile. A Google search would show you his comments. There are many such people. These are skilled folks o. Blue collar folks also have the same opportunity provided they are willing to work hard, have delayed gratification and play the long game. This brings me to the question you have refused to answer: what visa are you on in the US? What is your visa as it relates to work authorisation? If you are illegal, obviously, it is going to be hard. But if you are a Green Card holder or citizen, the opportunities are plentiful for hard-working folks who are well-informed of these opportunities. There is no free lunch anywhere. People have to work for what they desire. However, some places have MORE opportunities than elsewhere. The United States is the greatest of such, especially for black Africans who have English as their first language.

You say they build house yes very true because they can never own a house here any property you own ain't yours

Well, even in Nigeria, no one fully owns a property. The government owns all lands. We have seen seizures of lands by traditional rulers, youth groups, illegal land grabbers and government officials. The Lagos State government stated that over 80% of Lekki is illegal. Wike was on a rampage seizing people's lands in Rivers. In some parts of Nigeria, as a non-indigene, you cannot purchase land. In other parts, Fulani herdsmen have destroyed everywhere such that even the indigenes cannot go to their villages and farmlands.

and most of us here dey square together live like peasant. Here to go do odogwu for Nigeria that I can never do. I tried it and almost died I found out that good health is better than riches even the oyinbos here are depressed they find solace in drugs but what do I know nothing i guess.

Actually, that is one mistake Nigerians in the diaspora make, except for those who intend to return in a short time. It is better to build wealth in a functioning society where the rule of law exists than dividing one's attention span and little financial resources here and there. So, the aspect of spending like an Odogwu in Nigeria, but not having investments in the US is foolhardy. Again, the economic opportunities are plentiful in the US. Look at the US stock market. Urbane and upwardly Nigerian professionals working in Nigeria invest in the NYSE for higher returns. How much more Nigerians residing in the US?

My only advice is if you have a way to go to countries like Sweden finland Luxemburg Norway choose am first before you think of America ooo lol but still I am so happy you have plans to make it better in life.

Terrible advice. Absolutely terrible and totally naive about the economic/job opportunities, linguistic differences and racial hierarchy in those countries VS the US.

Let me put it straight: NO COUNTRY ON EARTH SURPASSES the US in terms of economic opportunities for a black person. NOWHERE DOES IT EXIST. Not even in sub-Saharan Africa.

For a Nigerian who was taught English from nursery to university level, the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA is the undisputed hub for economic advancement than anywhere else. No place comes close. It is unheard of. C'mon! On the sole basis of economic strength and breadth of vibrant economic opportunities, the US surpasses all those countries. Which means a native Swede who speaks English and has full working rights WOULD out-earn his counterpart in Sweden. Then, how much more for a black African who has a native black population in the US to use as a bargaining chip to be employed in almost every sector? How many black folks do you know working as managers of MacDonald in Finland? How many black tech engineers work in Google Luxembourg vs a Google office in New York? How many black truck drivers do you know making a living in Sweden vs the United States? How many black nurses work in Norway vs the US?

C'mon! Let's be honest for once!

Please, on the basis of economic advancement as a black person, no country outwits the US. Certainly, not Nordic countries. Even in Europe, only France and the UK have the full breadth of economic opportunities for black folks. Then you mentioned Luxembourg? What is Luxembourg or Finland compared to a country where English is the widely spoken language and has the biggest GDP (nominal)?

Now I will tell you this just in the last two years alone I know about 12 people minimum have relocated from Nigeria to America with my help and the last person was my kid bro him dey disturb me bros I wan come I wan come now he is seeing the reality. He told me last month he said BRO AMERICA no worth the struggle I just laughed if he sees this text he will know I am talking about him cause he is here on NL. Bros in summary if you think you will come gere and make millions in minimum of 5 years, baba na ur ancestors dey deceive you be that.

What are their residency statuses in the US? What skills do they have? Remember, you emphasised skills in your introductory post. On what basis/route did they enter the US?

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Do Your Research Really Hard Before You Japa Os Relocate Abroad by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:56am On Jun 25
Imagine someone recommending Sweden, Finland or Luxembourg to Africans over the US. Countries wey work no dey grin grin cheesy. Even cleaner job you no go see.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Do Your Research Really Hard Before You Japa Os Relocate Abroad by hammed71(m): 5:45am On Jun 25
tensazangetsu20:
Imagine someone recommending Sweden, Finland or Luxembourg to Africans over the US. Countries wey work no dey grin grin cheesy. Even cleaner job you no go see.
lol make him try am.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Do Your Research Really Hard Before You Japa Os Relocate Abroad by IbeOkehie: 12:08pm On Jun 25
Papilagreen:

You write like a 5 year old. I don't believe you've ever set foot outside Nigeria. Simple way to prove it....post your real name.

So why come on a public forum and lie? You just went on Google and looked up idiotic arguments against migration. The FACTS contradict your claims above.

Tax is tax. Property tax is NOT required in the USA Constitution or any State Constitution.

Yes Property tax is onerous but it doesn't mean you don't own the land. If a USA citizen refuses to pay income tax they may be imprisoned. Does that mean that citizen is a slave? NO, it's a legal requirement.

In any case the PEOPLE of the USA are starting to recognize that property taxes are bad and dangerous and some states are taking DEMOCRATIC steps to ABOLISH property taxes in the same way several of them already abolished income taxes.

https://www.google.com/search?q=states+proposing+to+abolish+property+taxes&oq=states+proposing+to+abolish+property+taxes&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIHCAEQIRigATIHCAIQIRigATIHCAMQIRigATIHCAQQIRigAdIBCTE0Mjg5ajFqNKgCDrACAQ&client=ms-android-samsung-gn-rev1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

What steps are being taken in Nigeria to give citizens the right to own property?

This is the crucial thing. Read carefully. There's ZERO CONSTITUTIONAL requirement for property tax in the USA. I believe in about 10 to 15 years many states will ABOLISH property taxes entirely.

Oh and I saw your thing about red lining. Legal Discrimination against buyers on the basis of race no longer exists in the USA. While private hostility on the basis of race is possible, I know it is rare. I've bought several houses in multiple states and nobody burned them down, I know literally dozens of Nigerians who've bought homes in ALL kinds of places over my 30 years here and nobody harassed anyone.

In Nigeria NOBODY owns land and many do pay a land use tax. Nigerians are generally IGNORANT and wicked so I know you're going to make a nonsensical argument 🙄

See how you even dragged @Gerrard away from sucking breast to engage your useless olodo self. Just shut your trap. You're full of it.

Good Luck to Nigerians.
Re: Why You Should Do Your Research Really Hard Before You Japa Os Relocate Abroad by IbeOkehie: 12:56pm On Jun 25
Gerrard59:

Also, if the US is so bad, how come Nigerians in the US are the biggest buyers of real estate in Nigeria? Yes, Nigerians abroad especially those in the US purchase more real estate assets in Nigeria than Nigerians in Nigeria.

https://businessday.ng/real-estate/article/70-of-nigerias-real-estate-investment-from-diaspora-expert/#:~:text=%E2%80%9COur%20recent%20survey%20shows%20that,Limited%20said%20at%20the%20event.

What a waste. Monumental waste of capital 😪

Good Luck to Nigeria
Re: Why You Should Do Your Research Really Hard Before You Japa Os Relocate Abroad by Kenn55: 3:13pm On Jun 25
My advice to people who read some of these craps thrown out here by people who claim to know especially the ones that claim to reside abroad is that they should ask the person what their own profile is.

The question should be: how old were you when you migrated? What visa do you have? What is your academic background? What is your work experience? What indemand skill do you have? Where do you reside? How long have you migrated? Etc.

Before you start talking nonsense we should know the details and make our known judgment.

Some people don't have what it takes to get to some certain level but instead of acknowledging it and try to work hard, they try to make it look like everyone failed, to make themselves feel good.

I was at Apple headquarters in California last December for their end of year party on the invitation from my cousin who works there. I saw a sizable number of Nigerians that work there and I was so impressed in a place dominated by Asians. All the Nigerians I met there had one thing in common. They were all PHD holders in software engineering, computer science, electronics, nanotechnology and other hard core fields from top schools in US and Canada. Some of them have bought houses in San Jose and living well.

The story is the same for Amazon, Google, Facebook and many other silicon valley giants. There are Nigerians there doing their thing in the same America the @op is ranting about.

All of us come aboard but no be all of us come the same way, no be all of us get the same profile and skills, no be all of us get the same mentality and ambition so no be all of us go find am easy or difficult. Know this and know peace.

If you don't have what it takes to get to some level due to circumstances beyond your control, it is not the end of the world. Manage the one wey you get and thank God. Stop trying to paint everyone with the same brush, no be all of us de pass through wetin you dey pass through.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Do Your Research Really Hard Before You Japa Os Relocate Abroad by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:14pm On Jun 25
Kenn55:
My advice to people who read some of these craps thrown out here by people who claim to know especially the ones that claim to reside abroad is that they should ask the person what their own profile is.

The question should be: how old were you when you migrated? What visa do you have? What is your academic background? What is your work experience? What indemand skill do you have? Where do you reside? How long have you migrated? Etc.

Before you start talking nonsense we should know the details and make our known judgment.

Some people don't have what it takes to get to some certain level but instead of acknowledging it and try to work hard, they try to make it look like everyone failed, to make themselves feel good.

I was at Apple headquarters in California last December for their end of year party on the invitation from my cousin who works there. I saw a sizable number of Nigerians that work there and I was so impressed in a place dominated by Asians. All the Nigerians I met there had one thing in common. They were all PHD holders in software engineering, computer science, electronics, nanotechnology and other hard core fields from top schools in US and Canada. Some of them have bought houses in San Jose and living well.

The story is the same for Amazon, Google, Facebook and many other silicon valley giants. There are Nigerians there doing their thing in the same America the @op is ranting about.

All of us come aboard but no be all of us come the same way, no be all of us get the same profile and skills so no be all of us go find am easy or difficult. Know this and know peace.

If you don't have what it takes to get to some level due to circumstances beyond your control, it is not the end of the world. Manage the one wey you get and thank God. Stop trying to paint everyone with the same brush, no be all of us de pass through wetin you dey pass through.

Full stop. If person no fit succeed in america no be to die remain cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Do Your Research Really Hard Before You Japa Os Relocate Abroad by Papilagreen: 4:17pm On Jun 25
Honestly you are not worth my time.
Totally worthless to me.
If you feel you have something to say to me, say it.
If not, then keep your insult to yourself and find a much better way to Chanel your anger and self hate.

You sound like a person in his 30s with a 12 years old child mentality.

IbeOkehie:

You write like a 5 year old. I don't believe you've ever set foot outside Nigeria. Simple way to prove it....post your real name.

So why come on a public forum and lie? You just went on Google and looked up idiotic arguments against migration. The FACTS contradict your claims above.

Tax is tax. Property tax is NOT required in the USA Constitution or any State Constitution.

Yes Property tax is onerous but it doesn't mean you don't own the land. If a USA citizen refuses to pay income tax they may be imprisoned. Does that mean that citizen is a slave? NO, it's a legal requirement.

In any case the PEOPLE of the USA are starting to recognize that property taxes are bad and dangerous and some states are taking DEMOCRATIC steps to ABOLISH property taxes in the same way several of them already abolished income taxes.

https://www.google.com/search?q=states+proposing+to+abolish+property+taxes&oq=states+proposing+to+abolish+property+taxes&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIHCAEQIRigATIHCAIQIRigATIHCAMQIRigATIHCAQQIRigAdIBCTE0Mjg5ajFqNKgCDrACAQ&client=ms-android-samsung-gn-rev1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

What steps are being taken in Nigeria to give citizens the right to own property?

This is the crucial thing. Read carefully. There's ZERO CONSTITUTIONAL requirement for property tax in the USA. I believe in about 10 to 15 years many states will ABOLISH property taxes entirely.

Oh and I saw your thing about red lining. Legal Discrimination against buyers on the basis of race no longer exists in the USA. While private hostility on the basis of race is possible, I know it is rare. I've bought several houses in multiple states and nobody burned them down, I know literally dozens of Nigerians who've bought homes in ALL kinds of places over my 30 years here and nobody harassed anyone.

In Nigeria NOBODY owns land and many do pay a land use tax. Nigerians are generally IGNORANT and wicked so I know you're going to make a nonsensical argument 🙄

See how you even dragged @Gerrard away from sucking breast to engage your useless olodo self. Just shut your trap. You're full of it.

Good Luck to Nigerians.
Re: Why You Should Do Your Research Really Hard Before You Japa Os Relocate Abroad by IbeOkehie: 5:18pm On Jun 25
Kenn55:

All of us come aboard but no be all of us come the same way, no be all of us get the same profile and skills, no be all of us get the same mentality and ambition so no be all of us go find am easy or difficult. Know this and know peace.

I'm always asking for proof of identity....they will not provide AND YET they will spew BLATANT LIES on a public forum!

If I talk about typical Nigerians and their living standards, they clap back with accusations of boasting. Which is why I tend to put my emphasis on the lower skilled Nigerian immigrants, both LEGAL & ILLEGAL...even these Nigerians live better than 90% of Nigerians living in Nigeria. The vast majority make it to the world accepted middle class standard of living.

The only thing most of these Anti-Jakpa fools bring to this subject is "Dangote made it in Nigeria".

Nonsense.

Good Luck to Nigerians.
Re: Why You Should Do Your Research Really Hard Before You Japa Os Relocate Abroad by Papilagreen: 5:19pm On Jun 25
Go watch these videos on tiktok and please read the comments from Americans of all races all full fledged Americans oooo.
Note if you don't have data please try buy data watch am.
Different videos covering different aspect relating to modern day America.
Before you start judging old days America with morden present day America.
And abeg read the comments look how many likes and response they get them come back and talk to me.
Don't be fooled with all what you read online. People living the realize day tell their stories you listen and learn.
I never wanted replying you but I think you lack information and facts. Stop talking from outside America as I no dey talk about inside Nigeria since I left there. Na advice I advice I no cures or insult you.

Mind your words towards me. You need to be more educated and enlightened.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZPRErFAPF/

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZPRErLAVX/

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZPREMnPLy/

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZPREMv9AQ/

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZPREMEYgh/

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZPREMKjGh/

Best of luck maybe if you decide to watch these videos and the rest that come with it you will understand besides I know you can never come across this videos in a years because of the IP not related and information regulations but maybe this might change you thinking prospective. Good luck.
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZPRErYG2V/

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZPRErJSQX/

IbeOkehie:

Good Luck to Nigerians.
Re: Why You Should Do Your Research Really Hard Before You Japa Os Relocate Abroad by Sisib15: 2:54am On Jun 26
You really have time telling people . Alot will not believe you because they think life abroad is luxurious. Omo, sunday to sunday work work work .
Papilagreen:
Okay here we go...

First of all I want to apologize ahead of time just in case you see a typo please just ignore it because I know you will understand what am trying to say just in case because I am human and not AI that does things to almost perfection.

Okay so before you japa or relocate to any other country please and please do your research real good before you dive in.

I will say this because I was very guilty of it. The problem with our typical Nigerian man is that we hate to read and study more to get more info. Instead, we all go by the words of people and what we see on social media.
I am here to tell you that the that not all that glitter is gold.
Yes you will see our people the moment they relocate abroad they take pictures ND post online we the ignorant people back home when we see the environment where the pictures are taken we fell they are in the promise land.l but they are not.
I will advise you if you have relatives abroad be it the USA, Canada, UK, Germany etc. its not easy i know what am talking about.
One advice I will give to us Nigerians is stop the money conversion YES! Stop it.

Now before I go any further let me explain. Even if you make 2000 pound or 2000 Dollars every paycheck my brother you are suffering.

See to sum it up right. Let me use my self as a case study. I have traveled to different countries , From UK to France and now i live in America where i am a legal resident i don have to be fraid of deportation or what not.

Firstly before you relocate please and please first make sure you have a very good professional skills. I am not talking about your university degree I am talking about something marketable. Be it taloring, hair dressing, mechanic any job at all heck even plumbing or electrical too abeg learn

Secondly the living system abroad is a whole ball game. You are new to a whole different culture. In Nigeria, things are so very very cheap but nobody will agree with me. So let me explain a little as I can for you.
And before I say bills, somebody will come and say what is the bills you people pay abroad that we in Nigeria don't pay. And I am here to say alot of bills plenty bills even your papa no pay before.
In Nigeria you can not pay your nepa bill and still have light one way or the other
Abroad, you don't if you don't pay, you lose your privileges and what are those bills, let me tell you.

For example here we go.
I will be using myself as a case study so here is a few of the main bills I pay monthly I don't miss
1 house rent : $1345 per month
2, electricity :$120 per month
3, phone bill 3 phones me myself and my first daughter totalling $120 per month
4, car insurance I have 3 cars but I drive two because nobody drives the third $180 per month.
5, internet fee $45 per month.
Food and drinks $800 minimum I spend for 4people that doesn't include eating outside not even a fancy restaurant just normal fast food if I include that then I should be running up to $1100 per month if am correct.

This are the min expenses monthly. I haven't included health insurance and other emergency expenses.
Last month my send child fell a little sick I went to the hospital and after just minor examination by the doctor, we were given pain medicine and some flu medication the next week, my hospital bill came ND it totalled $2113 I wan shout.

Now I haven't talked about the fuel I buy to drive around and other expenses ooo.

Now have it in mind that we in America nobody will tell you this but I will now. And I want somebody to prove me wrong in America and the UK, the citizens 15 people out of 100 are the ones that go to school. When I mean school I mean the university i.e bachelor's and masters degree. They don't go to school only the wealthy go to school here those who were born into money or the one that decides that he or shill will go take out student loans to go to school. Na we wain japa come here dey go school.its not that they don't want to its because it is very expensive and they can't afford it. A typical American citizen doesn't have up to $4000 saved u as emergency funds it's very hard to come by. I am not saying they are not but it's rear. ( Ask me why and it will be a while new topic for another day)
Na only abroad somebody can be kicked out of their house at anytime and they be one homeless.
I know a lot of people American (oyinbo) who are homeless and get they still work they sleep in their cars t the parking lot at Walmart or any super shopping center at night and in the morning, the just brush clean their self with baby or body wipes face, armpits under leg and off to work. Why you ask me? Well because they can't afford to pay their rent and bills and eat at same time.

You might think this is funny but it's not it's the fact. Na who neva go no go know.
I'm summary you have to be working two or 3 jobs to be able to make ends meet to survive. Na only yanki you go dey work pay rent for house where you don't spend up to 4 hours living in that house daily.
Forget that word say u dey come here come hustle hard people dey wain hustle pass you here take it or leave it I see it everyday.

Infact the American living here are complaining. I know some people will say tax is used for good roads and electric etc. baba that's cap. I have lived here enough to know otherwise. Ask a sain American who is 85 % saintient of his or her environment, and they will tell you that the greatest scam system ever created in America, is the taxation system Americans cry because of taxes they pay always yet somebody who hasn't left the shores of Nigeria or should I say JJC or person eain no a spend up to 3 years abroad will argue with me. That's why I will always say who no go no go know.

I will tell you something today yes, there is dignity in hard work, and hard work pays off in the long run but believe me in America where I dey sometimes the case is different.

Finally, I will end this not with this if you have the opportunity to japa please japa it's worth it even if it's just the travel experience it's worth it on the long run BUT, never ever try and relocate abroad without proper plans e.g accomodation mostly accomodation make sure you well prep to where you will be staying when you come or else you will regret mostly when it's the winter time. See your relatives and friends abroad go fail you. Once you tell them say you don land 80% of them will leave you hanging at the airport because them know what's up and you win just come don't know shit so wise up make sure you set before you japa.
Also abeg no sell your property japa make sure it's not you last resort to sell you property japa because you might end up regretting it.
Those people wain dey tell you say japa say in less than 6 months to a year you go be permanent resident most especially those trave agents abeg avoid them.
Finally I will leave you with this last advice. You bring a black man in a white man's country, just know say your one simple honest mistake is equivalent to a white man's 100 mistakes you will be judged differently.
Abroad no be by hard work dem dey take survive here na wisdom ND since. In Chicago Illinois alone I know this for sure because I have been there. We have many africans who just came into the country not up to 3 years and they are already in jail serving long term because of crime and fraud in the name of I must blow. No be their fault na the movies dem dey watch for Nigeria about yanki and when they came here, they found out the other way. I have a friend I will call him ola just for this sake. Ola dey prison serving 7 years for Internet fraud aka aza man.
After his arrest he called his mom from prison telling her that he now works offshore for an oil company and they don't use phone there always so he calls her when he is allowed to use the phone for call which is limited to the inmate In there the mama dey Nigeria dey brave her pikin set work offshore the mama no know and I can't tell her because such news can never come from me to her.
So abeg my people always know that it's not always bright at the other end of the tunnel abeg wise up.
Before you relocate try improve on a good marketable skill or skills make u no go dey left behind.
Re: Why You Should Do Your Research Really Hard Before You Japa Os Relocate Abroad by Papilagreen: 3:00am On Jun 26
Sisib15:
You really have time telling people . Alot will not believe you because they think life abroad is luxurious. Omo, sunday to sunday work work work .

No mind them na ignorance dey worry them. Because na American film and TV and propaganda them see online make them dey talk rubbish
I was once like them. Money and luxury fall from thin air once you enter America life is good they get it all thinking mentally.
Na blind man wain dey lead blind man them all be.
Re: Why You Should Do Your Research Really Hard Before You Japa Os Relocate Abroad by 73O9: 12:54pm On Jun 26
Papilagreen:

No mind them na ignorance dey worry them. Because na American film and TV and propaganda them see online make them dey talk rubbish
I was once like them. Money and luxury fall from thin air once you enter America life is good they get it all thinking mentally.
Na blind man wain dey lead blind man them all be.

Going through all the arguments, it's obvious they respond more intelligently than you do. You don't have to start insulting during an argument.
Also take your time to go through their profiles, you would see they are Nigerians not living in Nigeria.

Some (not all) of the things you stated in your opening post are facts but it doesn't mean they are valid in all scenarios. Everyone has a profile, so that dictates how individuals can be in the developed world.
Re: Why You Should Do Your Research Really Hard Before You Japa Os Relocate Abroad by Papilagreen: 1:38pm On Jun 26
Thank you for your opinion if they respond more intelligent than I do that fine am okay with that.
Am not here to show how intelligent I am and I never said have to look their profile because I don't have to. If they live abroad or not
All I did was give my own opinion on how I see things and I can't stand and watch them insult me for no reason.
If you don't agree with somebody they why not just say I disagree with you and say why.
Instead of calling me out disrespectfully?
You should be ways to say things out without putting out negative vibes.
Those words are for certain people and they know theirs not for the general readers. Just the ones who come and insult me because they feel disrespected by my own opinion.
I don't do well to insult or treats so if that is my flaws then I am sorry but I can't stop now I give respect to whom respect is due.

73O9:

Going through all the arguments, it's obvious they respond more intelligently than you do. You don't have to start insulting during an argument.
Also take your time to go through their profiles, you would see they are Nigerians not living in Nigeria.

Some (not all) of the things you stated in your opening post are facts but it doesn't mean they are valid in all scenarios. Everyone has a profile, so that dictates how individuals can be in the developed world.
Re: Why You Should Do Your Research Really Hard Before You Japa Os Relocate Abroad by 73O9: 7:38pm On Jun 26
Papilagreen:

Thank you for your opinion if they respond more intelligent than I do that fine am okay with that.
Am not here to show how intelligent I am and I never said have to look their profile because I don't have to. If they live abroad or not
All I did was give my own opinion on how I see things and I can't stand and watch them insult me for no reason.
If you don't agree with somebody they why not just say I disagree with you and say why.
Instead of calling me out disrespectfully?
You should be ways to say things out without putting out negative vibes.
Those words are for certain people and they know theirs not for the general readers. Just the ones who come and insult me because they feel disrespected by my own opinion.
I don't do well to insult or treats so if that is my flaws then I am sorry but I can't stop now I give respect to whom respect is due.

I believe you could have done your best to respond without insults or better still just ignore like I saw how you have avoided the question regarding your status.
Re: Why You Should Do Your Research Really Hard Before You Japa Os Relocate Abroad by Papilagreen: 8:19pm On Jun 26
73O9:

I believe you could have done your best to respond without insults or better still just ignore like I saw how you have avoided the question regarding your status.

Thank you duly noted
Re: Why You Should Do Your Research Really Hard Before You Japa Os Relocate Abroad by damzy88: 2:54am On Jun 27
Kenn55:

Fullstop.

(1) (2) (Reply)

. / Any Nigerian Studying In Iceland. / Travel Guide For Men

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 170
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.