Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,428 members, 7,911,060 topics. Date: Monday, 05 August 2024 at 12:44 AM

Meta To Reduce Office Space In Lagos - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Meta To Reduce Office Space In Lagos (19393 Views)

Threads: See Elon Musk's Reply on Twitter's attempt to sue Meta / 2023 Elections: FG Signs Agreement With Google, Meta To Handle Fake News / Facebook Changes Its Name To Meta In Major Rebrand (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Meta To Reduce Office Space In Lagos by ShogunNoName: 8:53pm On Jun 13
bestman09:
What a pity. Next thing now will be that they are leaving the country 😭.

If Guinness can leave Nigeria after 45 years because of unfavorable business climate, no company is safe again.

It's after 75 years ,get your facts right
Re: Meta To Reduce Office Space In Lagos by geewean(m): 8:54pm On Jun 13
Sometimes the way these BATerians analyse issues is amazing to logicality.Why did Tinubu bundle over 50 businessmen to India to seduce foreigners for FDI?

Have you ever taken out time to understudy the importance of foreign direct investment in economic advancement.

Foreign organisations are leaving in droves to even smaller African countries due to policy summersault and high cost of doing business.
Currently,you don't have a local companies to replace it

Tinubu campaign of calumny against Jonathan and his harsh words on him will cripple his efforts.Its karma that's playing out until he goes to apologise to that gentle man

He called him a clueless president and now he feels he will do well ? The unfortunate issue is that the masses will suffer.

StreetFight:
They are MAD. Who invited them before?
Re: Meta To Reduce Office Space In Lagos by Eriokanmi: 8:55pm On Jun 13
GboyegaD:

Unfortunately, the youth and mid age that should be more concerned are busy fighting themselves over trivial issues such as tribe. The current leadership isn't showing any concern for their failures and we who should hit the streets are busy fooling ourselves. It is well.
Leave them. One day, they'd look into the mirror and begin to see their wrinkled eyes and grey heir all over their beards. Then they'd realise how much they've ruined their lives cos of bigotry. Sadly, those they're supporting don't give hoots about their life and future.
Re: Meta To Reduce Office Space In Lagos by ShogunNoName: 8:57pm On Jun 13
NuCypher:
Naturally, Nigeria has no hope tech-wise. Outside of the so-called fintech companies whose co-founders are simple money-grabbers or sexual molesters, it's hard to put a pin to anything of tangible worth happening in the Nigerian techspace. At the moment, it's all just an illusion. If it's not e-commerce, it's fintech. That's about it. Tech is much more than that. Tech is innovation. Yeah, perhaps there are pockets of innovation here and there. There's hardly anything tangible coming out of the so-called Nigerian Silicon Valley of Yaba. Obviously, this has become clear to Microsoft and to Meta, hence the scaling down.

If Nigeria wants to be taken seriously, then its needs to start prioritizing real innovation that solves its own local problem. E-commerce solves no problem in Nigeria, as Jumia will readily attest. it has been a struggling company since its creation. Fintech is hardly Nigeria's problem. Maybe it is in a small measure, but on a grander scale it hardly is. There are no real capital opportunities in Nigeria. As a result, companies like Risevest and Piggyvest are having to invest OUTSIDE of Nigeria. So, how does the tech space expect to grow?

Real problems like very poor doctor-to-patient ratio, wide availability of bad drugs, unavailability of drugs in remote locations, adultrated products, etc all need real tech solutions that are unfortunately not coming, are underdeveloped, or not easily accessible.

This is the best comment here that perfectly captures the situation 💯

I want to have unprotected sexual orgy with your brain . Rough jungle sex with it.

Thank you for restoring my faith in members of Nairaland. I used to think all the humans have left ,leaving behind only gorillas.
Re: Meta To Reduce Office Space In Lagos by GboyegaD(m): 9:02pm On Jun 13
Eriokanmi:
Leave them. One day, they'd look into the mirror and begin to see their wrinkled eyes and grey heir all over their beards. Then they'd realise how much they've ruined their lives cos of bigotry. Sadly, those they're supporting don't give hoots about their life and future.

I saw a video on twitter this morning where the guy representing Ada Constituency in either the state or national assembly was beaten when he visited his constituency. It was an indicator that the hunger is real and people are getting conscious that these guys are not keeping to their electoral promises.

1 Like

Re: Meta To Reduce Office Space In Lagos by hmohammed(m): 9:03pm On Jun 13
BadMaster:

Whether they look for it or not, is it not a fact that things have gotten terrible? Should everybody pretend and live in denial? How does that help anyone?

For your information, this is not Nigerian specific. Meta in 2023 layed off 20k employees and this is the impact of that decision. How is this a Nigerian thing?

For your information this kind of news is what makes investors run away from Nigeria and in the end we will be the one to suffer it. Our children will be the one to suffer for this unnecessary media stunt just to make people feel BAT is the worst thing that happened to Nigeria.
Re: Meta To Reduce Office Space In Lagos by Eriokanmi: 9:06pm On Jun 13
GboyegaD:

I saw a video on twitter this morning where the guy representing Ada Constituency in either the state or national assembly was beaten when he visited his constituency. It was an indicator that the hunger is real and people are getting conscious that these guys are not keeping to their electoral promises.
Exactly, more of such an attack will still happen
Re: Meta To Reduce Office Space In Lagos by Segxydube: 9:08pm On Jun 13
StreetFight:

U see say u no get sense
Re: Meta To Reduce Office Space In Lagos by ChiefOkporghe: 9:19pm On Jun 13
NuCypher:
Naturally, Nigeria has no hope tech-wise. Outside of the so-called fintech companies whose co-founders are simple money-grabbers or sexual molesters, it's hard to put a pin to anything of tangible worth happening in the Nigerian techspace. At the moment, it's all just an illusion. If it's not e-commerce, it's fintech. That's about it. Tech is much more than that. Tech is innovation. Yeah, perhaps there are pockets of innovation here and there. There's hardly anything tangible coming out of the so-called Nigerian Silicon Valley of Yaba. Obviously, this has become clear to Microsoft and to Meta, hence the scaling down.

If Nigeria wants to be taken seriously, then its needs to start prioritizing real innovation that solves its own local problem. E-commerce solves no problem in Nigeria, as Jumia will readily attest. it has been a struggling company since its creation. Fintech is hardly Nigeria's problem. Maybe it is in a small measure, but on a grander scale it hardly is. There are no real capital opportunities in Nigeria. As a result, companies like Risevest and Piggyvest are having to invest OUTSIDE of Nigeria. So, how does the tech space expect to grow?

Real problems like very poor doctor-to-patient ratio, wide availability of bad drugs, unavailability of drugs in remote locations, adultrated products, etc all need real tech solutions that are unfortunately not coming, are underdeveloped, or not easily accessible.
Re: Meta To Reduce Office Space In Lagos by ade4real2016: 9:29pm On Jun 13
StreetFight:

Looks like the Data you borrowed is tormenting your sense of reasoning...So, you're so daft to d extent that you ain't know why they are here...Your better off in your damn remote village...
Re: Meta To Reduce Office Space In Lagos by Confirm4real(m): 9:32pm On Jun 13
Another job loss again for some people kai shocked

Emilokan oh sorry APC want to chase all international companies o shocked

Everything is affecting them from Subsidy to Naira floating...

Re: Meta To Reduce Office Space In Lagos by ceejay80s(m): 9:41pm On Jun 13
Tinubu don't give a shit about all this. His salary of a 100million and allowances is flowing in
Re: Meta To Reduce Office Space In Lagos by flyinnizam(m): 9:42pm On Jun 13
NaijaNaWaa:
Wetin Flutterwave dey do for this kind building? Abi they just wan rub shoulders with Meta & the big boys? Start up wey still raise funds come dey pose.
Lol ......do u have beef with flutterwave?

1 Like

Re: Meta To Reduce Office Space In Lagos by prophetfire: 10:04pm On Jun 13
samuelgodson:
hope this wans too don't decide to pack and leave.
Emilokon fever is reaching their side. Pack and go loading grin grin grin grin
Tilumbu half scatter everywhere grin grin grin
Re: Meta To Reduce Office Space In Lagos by Papilagreen: 10:08pm On Jun 13
Oayh make I drop my own one cent.
For all of you already saying Nigeria is the problem for the tech company layoff, I just want you all to know that you are all WRONG.

Facebook not just meta and all big companies in America such as door dash, uber, MasterCard, spotify infact you name it all tech companies here in america has been on a massive layoff for the past 6 months now.

I had my friend lost his job at Amazon who does IT support mostly all the work from home people. They have been on a massive layoff infact just few months ago a company I bet ya all don't know much about CANVA and ROBINHOOD had a massive layoff they all just got the email and they were asked to return their office computer and all other office related equipment in all 5000 people. Anybody can verify this it's all over the Internet.

All major tech companies are downsizing Facebook in America here alone already laid off more than hundreds employee last two months alone.

Now let me tell you why. It's because of AI. So why Pay someone thousands to write Thousand lines of codes when AI integrated with super computers can write a million lines of accurate codes to precision in less than 3hrs and it will take a person like 4 months and the service for AI is so cheap compared to humans.
It's just what it is. Even as we speak robots are not replacing humans with their jobs already here in America so the future for man and their jobs it's coming to an end I guess. Soon na who own more of Tesla Robot/humanoid go be the baba. The more you own the more wealthy you become.
Re: Meta To Reduce Office Space In Lagos by Papilagreen: 10:10pm On Jun 13
flyinnizam:
Lol ......do u have beef with flutterwave?

Lol u funny that building is way too small for meta in the first place
Google silvervally in USA and see it's a whole city dedicated to information technology Amazon and Facebook own a large chunk of it.
Re: Meta To Reduce Office Space In Lagos by Dennisochampa: 10:22pm On Jun 13
sunshineV:
woh make this mumu tinubu no spoil country for us jare

U no read say na "global layoffs" make them reduce the size of their Nigerian team or u no understand the English
Re: Meta To Reduce Office Space In Lagos by Dennisochampa: 10:23pm On Jun 13
dam2000:
God save us from this devil regime

U no read say na "global layoffs" make them reduce the size of their Nigerian team or u no understand the English
Re: Meta To Reduce Office Space In Lagos by Dennisochampa: 10:23pm On Jun 13
DryMouth:
Even multinationals dey run commot from Nigeria cheesy

Re: Meta To Reduce Office Space In Lagos by Dennisochampa: 10:26pm On Jun 13
bestman09:
What a pity. Next thing now will be that they are leaving the country 😭.

If Guinness can leave Nigeria after 45 years because of unfavorable business climate, no company is safe again.

Guiness no commot for 9ja..... They sold their stake to a Singaporean business man..... U guys will give everything to hear bad news...

Google is your friend anyways

Re: Meta To Reduce Office Space In Lagos by Umuinyioku: 10:27pm On Jun 13
NaijaNaWaa:
Wetin Flutterwave dey do for this kind building? Abi they just wan rub shoulders with Meta & the big boys? Start up wey still raise funds come dey pose.
Lol
Re: Meta To Reduce Office Space In Lagos by Dennisochampa: 10:29pm On Jun 13
DMerciful:
That's how Microsoft started and finally left!

Tinubu has ruined Nigeria

So na tinubu cause global layoffs for meta??

How una take dey understand this English sef
Re: Meta To Reduce Office Space In Lagos by Dennisochampa: 10:30pm On Jun 13
YouAreNobody:
My tech company is headquatered in my base in Michingan and I planned to open a branch in Nigeria. I'm forever grateful to my friend, Abimbola, who advised me to hold on for 1 year and watch how things go.
I would've lost at a lot of money while looking to invest in my country

It's Michigan Sha not Michingan....

1 Like

DMerciful:
You guys don't know the consequences of companies leaving. You realize it later

DeepsightX:

Dont you think you should address this to the current leadership of this country? Because at this rate, our GDP will shrink to less than 100 billion USD in no time.

Re: Meta To Reduce Office Space In Lagos by YouAreNobody: 10:33pm On Jun 13
Dennisochampa:

It's Michigan Sha not Michingan....
Thanks for pointing that out, I was multitasking while typing
Re: Meta To Reduce Office Space In Lagos by DeepsightX: 10:38pm On Jun 13
Dennisochampa:

My dear brother, I read am, I no go lie. However the truth is multinationals are fleeing Nigeria. I have worked in several multinationals and still work in one - and I know very well that even with global lay-offs (which I have both handled before and sufferred from) multinationals choose where to play their cards at such moments - and what countries to lay more people off in, intelligently, for their profit. Right now, Nigeria is not making a good case for their attention, especially with its shrinking economy. Consider carefully the impact of an over 500 Billion Dollar economy as at 2014 which has shrank sharply to half that size - with the devaluation of our currency contributing much to that in that last one year alone.

Then think again.

cc: DMerciful bestman09 DryMouth

1 Like

Re: Meta To Reduce Office Space In Lagos by DeepsightX: 10:40pm On Jun 13
YouAreNobody:

Thanks for pointing that out, I was multitasking while typing

You should not thank anyone for pointing out a typo unless you really didnt know the spelling. Otherwise, the person is just being pedantic.
Re: Meta To Reduce Office Space In Lagos by InvertedHammer: 11:42pm On Jun 13
/
Companies are laying off I.T workers in thousands everywhere.

This is expected.

/
Re: Meta To Reduce Office Space In Lagos by Shikini: 12:22am On Jun 14
StreetFight:

Ignorance is a disease
Shame on you
Re: Meta To Reduce Office Space In Lagos by DMerciful(m): 1:17am On Jun 14
You're absolutely right. Multinationals wouldn't wanna layoff workers where they're making profits.

My main gross with Tinubu supporters is levity they take on this serious issue of companies leaving.

How do you expect new investors to come when the ones with experience are leaving?

Mind you, you cannot fill up a bucket with water thats already inside the bucket but from external
DeepsightX:

My dear brother, I read am, I no go lie. However the truth is multinationals are fleeing Nigeria. I have worked in several multinationals and still work in one - and I know very well that even with global lay-offs (which I have both handled before and sufferred from) multinationals choose where to play their cards at such moments - and what countries to lay more people off in, intelligently, for their profit. Right now, Nigeria is not making a good case for their attention, especially with its shrinking economy. Consider carefully the impact of an over 500 Billion Dollar economy as at 2014 which has shrank sharply to half that size - with the devaluation of our currency contributing much to that in that last one year alone.

Then think again.

cc: DMerciful bestman09 DryMouth
Re: Meta To Reduce Office Space In Lagos by Inosky: 2:27am On Jun 14
YouAreNobody:
My tech company is headquatered in my base in Michigan and I planned to open a branch in Nigeria. I'm forever grateful to my friend, Abimbola, who advised me to hold on for 1 year and watch how things go.
I would've lost at a lot of money while looking to invest in my country

Can you help me relocate to Michigan, bro?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mtn New Number (0810) / With A Budget Of 120k, Which Phone Is Best To Go For? / Pls Recommend A 30k Good Android Phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.