Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,178 members, 7,897,001 topics. Date: Monday, 22 July 2024 at 06:47 AM

My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. (2784 Views)

Meet My 1 Week Pekin Ducklings. / 1.5 Acre's Of Cassava Farm For Sale. / Parrot Destroys Man's Maize Farm (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Esude007: 3:04pm On Jun 19
**Hello farmers, my name is Umaru Ezekiel Esude Agbetech Agro Consult chief Agronomist .

**improving productivity is a major driver as far as attaining food securty in Nigeria is concerned. But to achieve improvement in maize productivity two tenets are important.

(1) Always start with the right seed variety.

(2) You should always adhere to good Agronomic practices.

**"the purpose of this research is to check the yield potential of sc719 under good Agronomic practices.
Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Esude007: 3:08pm On Jun 19
The land was first measured. Measuring the land will help u to know the quantity of seed to use. For 1.5 acre, I am using 15kg of sc719.

1 Like

Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Esude007: 3:14pm On Jun 19
After measurement, clearing commenced immediately. I engaged hired labour.

Stumps and shrubs were cleared.

2 Likes

Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Esude007: 3:27pm On Jun 19
After clearing, pre planting herbicide application commenced. Pre planting herbicide application is important because it help to suppress weed intensity. Weed is a menace in agriculture, it competes with the crop for space, sunlight, water, nutrients etc.

Glyphosate was used for this operation.

Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Esude007: 3:29pm On Jun 19
Pre planting herbicide application ongoing

1 Like

Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Esude007: 3:36pm On Jun 19
After pre planting herbicide Operation, we monitored the water retaining capacity of the land after a heavy downpour. This is important as it help the farmer to know how to prepare the land. From the picture attached, u will notice waterlogging, this made us to opt for local ridge making.

Ridges is important in maize farming because it help to prevent waterlogging, better anchorage and good rooting system.

1 Like

Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Esude007: 3:45pm On Jun 19
I engaged the services of local ridge makers....it took us 3 days to get the job done.

The ridges were specially configured to suit the project.

The ridges have 75cm spacing since the space between seed will be 25cm.

1 seed per hole...

The planter is programed to give u this results

1 Like

Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Esude007: 3:53pm On Jun 19
After ridge making, planting commenced. We used a locally fabricated maize planter.

***With the help of my fellow Agronomist. Mr Chilla, Mr Israel and Mr Monday...

***Using a maize planter makes it easy for u to get the optimum population.

***Maize population plays an important role in the yield.

***Let's do the math.

If u have let's say 10,000 stands of maize on your farm, and a maize cob weigh 350g after good Agronomic practice. After shelling it can reduce to 250g.

*If u convert to kg, u have 0.25kg.

*Multiply by 10,000 stands..... 2500kg

*100kg makes a bag... So u can get 25 bags of 100kg

**It was a very tedious task as u can see from (picture 2) that Agronomist Chilla was very tired from the pushing exercise.

****Agriculture is very hard to start, but if you start the right way you will become UNSTOPPABLE***

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Esude007: 3:56pm On Jun 19
***Pre emergence herbicide application commenced immediately after planting...

***Atrazin and paraquat was used.

***Atrazin help to hold weed seed while paraquat kill all physical weed...

***Paraquat is a contact herbicide.

***I personally did the application as any mistake in this operation can lead to spending money on an unbudgeted expenses ( manual weeding)

1 Like

Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Esude007: 3:58pm On Jun 19
5 days after germination, supplying and thinning commenced.

Supplying is the planting of a missed spot, while thinning is the removing of excesses.

Very tedious.

From the first pic, u can see Agronomist Chilla with his 25cm ruler doing the supply.

While I focused on thinning

4 Likes

Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Esude007: 4:03pm On Jun 19
I noticed grasshopper attack..so application of pesticide commenced immediately.

Grasshoppers can have a significant impact on maize crops, causing:

1. Defoliation: Grasshoppers can eat leaves and stems, reducing the plant's ability to photosynthesize and grow.
2. Ear damage: Grasshoppers can chew on ears, damaging kernels and reducing yields.
3. Stunted growth: Heavy grasshopper infestations can stunt plant growth, reducing yields and affecting plant development.
4. Reduced yields: Grasshopper damage can lead to significant yield losses, up to 100% in severe cases.
5. Lower grain quality: Damaged kernels can be discolored, shriveled, or contaminated with grasshopper frass (insect waste), reducing grain quality.
6. Increased risk of disease: Grasshopper damage can create entry points for diseases, such as fungal infections.
7. Delayed maturity: Grasshopper stress can delay plant maturity, affecting harvest timing and planning.
8. Economic losses: Grasshopper damage can result in significant economic losses for farmers, impacting their livelihoods.

It's essential to monitor fields regularly and take control measures when necessary to minimize grasshopper damage and protect maize crops.

I used cypermetrin as repellant.

3 Likes

Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Esude007: 4:07pm On Jun 19
This demo plot belong to AGBETECH AGRO CONSULT...

Project manager: Umaru Ezekiel Esude.

Herdsmen attack is very high in this area...

Next year, we're going into massive maize production with enough security.

Stay tuned for my sesame project....

This maize demo plot is been guarded by 6 community police officers....

Herdsmen wahala cha

4 Likes

Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Esude007: 10:07pm On Jun 19
All shades that can interfere with photosynthesis was removed by my colleague.. Agronomist Chilla

2 Likes

Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by numen(m): 3:29am On Jun 20
Nice job and following keenly. Which company makes the seed you mentioned? Seedco? What type of corn is it?
Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Esude007: 12:38pm On Jun 20
numen:
Nice job and following keenly. Which company makes the seed you mentioned? Seedco? What type of corn is it?
yes seedco... It is a white corn variety. Very good for mechanization. Drought tolerant, resistant to striga weed, Nitrogen use efficient, lodging tolerant etc

1 Like

Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by tanigororo: 12:40pm On Jun 20
Nice

1 Like

Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Esude007: 10:45pm On Jun 20
My dear farmers and friends,

Planting a seed is the beginning of a farmer's journey, where dedication meets patience, and hard work meets hope.

Just as every seed holds the promise of growth, every effort you sow today, no matter how small, nurtures the path to success tomorrow.

Keep planting, keep believing, for in the harvest of your persistence lies the sweetest fruits of achievement.

The celebrity farmer

2 Likes

Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by bassdow: 10:57pm On Jun 20
Imagine after all these Stress + Resources, this https://www.nairaland.com/8130254/see-what-fulani-herdsmen-did 
happens
bassdow:
Imagine after all these Stress + Resources, this https://www.nairaland.com/8130254/see-what-fulani-herdsmen-did 
happens
bassdow:
happens
Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by bassdow: 10:59pm On Jun 20
bassdow:
happens
Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by bassdow: 11:13pm On Jun 20
Esude007:
This demo plot belong to AGBETECH AGRO CONSULT...

Project manager: Umaru Ezekiel Esude.

Herdsmen attack is very high in this area...

Next year, we're going into massive maize production with enough security.

Stay tuned for my sesame project....

This maize demo plot is been guarded by 6 community police officers ....

Herdsmen wahala cha

wetin You go talk if I tell you say Fulani no dey near our street and the one behind it?
Of course that didn't happen without serious wahala. Me go cut you and the Malu. Got so serious that One day, they waitied for me on the road and 3 of them attacked me. both them + Me were surprized how I survived. of course I never attempted to run else that would have been my end. I fought back despite their 3 cutlasses, I managed to wound and over power them.

Funny enough, na Community dey give them power. Not all the COWs are owned by the Fulanis. In fact most are even owned by Oga of Soldiers and Area Commander of Police. Even community head sef dey follow get.

Well after everything, they tried coming thinking I would get scared due to what happened and the injury I sustained BUT I let them know that now, it would be worse.
Before na only beating I dey beat Malu, after that encounter, na Cut I dey cut Malu + you wey dey lead them if I cat any. So tey even dem Oga beg me say anyTime I see them, I should call him BUT I told him I am not interested in calling anyOne. Tell your people what routes to never pass through.

NowAdays, we greet, and I even greet them if I see them on the road BUT it ends there.

It's been close to 4-years now, all dey avoid our street and the street behind.

Another na Goat and I took care of those also. Me go just LAME your goat, carry am put for middle of road. Now even the One wey dey form Soldier don build PEN for him goat while the GOATs sef don get sense. Dem dey avoid our street join.

So you see, continue crying and nothing changes. me no wan die BUT I still no fear to die.

Funny enough, Most fellow community members would support you in FRONT but behind you, na opposite. Glad I ain't the type that moves with crowd.

Una go continue to cry till the day you dry youe TEARs and do something about it.

2 Likes

Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Esude007: 12:46am On Jun 21
bassdow:

No be lie cha....
wetin You go talk if I tell you say Fulani no dey near our street and the one behind it?
Of course that didn't happen without serious wahala. Me go cut you and the Malu. Got so serious that One day, they waitied for me on the road and 3 of them attacked me. both them + Me were surprized how I survived. of course I never attempted to run else that would have been my end. I fought back despite their 3 cutlasses, I managed to wound and over power them.

Funny enough, na Community dey give them power. Not all the COWs are owned by the Fulanis. In fact most are even owned by Oga of Soldiers and Area Commander of Police. Even community head sef dey follow get.

Well after everything, they tried coming thinking I would get scared due to what happened and the injury I sustained BUT I let them know that now, it would be worse.
Before na only beating I dey beat Malu, after that encounter, na Cut I dey cut Malu + you wey dey lead them if I cat any. So tey even dem Oga beg me say anyTime I see them, I should call him BUT I told him I am not interested in calling anyOne. Tell your people what routes to never pass through.

NowAdays, we greet, and I even greet them if I see them on the road BUT it ends there.

It's been close to 4-years now, all dey avoid our street and the street behind.

Another na Goat and I took care of those also. Me go just LAME your goat, carry am put for middle of road. Now even the One wey dey form Soldier don build PEN for him goat while the GOATs sef don get sense. Dem dey avoid our street join.

So you see, continue crying and nothing changes. me no wan die BUT I still no fear to die.

Funny enough, Most fellow community members would support you in FRONT but behind you, na opposite. Glad I ain't the type that moves with crowd.

Una go continue to cry till the day you dry youe TEARs and do something about it.
Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Esude007: 12:25pm On Jun 22
If u grow what u love, what u love will grow.

8 days old...

1st to 6th week of a maize life cycle should be kept weed free.

It should be as clean as a dinning room..

This is when 60 Percent of the nutrient is required.

1 Like

Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Chaiirman: 12:02pm On Jun 23
Following. Clearing has started for my 3 acres maize and cassava farmland. This thread will be very helpful during the course of my adventure.

Following religiously
Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Esude007: 4:05pm On Jun 23
Chaiirman:
Following. Clearing has started for my 3 acres maize and cassava farmland. This thread will be very helpful during the course of my adventure.

Following religiously
.. yeah... Let's go together

1 Like

Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Ayemileto(m): 5:04pm On Jun 24
Esude007:
.. yeah... Let's go together

Hi.

What do you recommend I use against all this bush rats that keep removing the maize seeds after planting?

Like, their population is soo high that they can remove like 3 plots the same day of planting.
Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Zwooks: 5:23pm On Jun 24
Ayemileto:

Hi.

What do you recommend I use against all this bush rats that keep removing the maize seeds after planting?

Like, their population is soo high that they can remove like 3 plots the same day of planting.

It's not wild animals. It's the seeds. Tell me, you planted SeedCo 5xx abi ?
Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Esude007: 7:32pm On Jun 24
Ayemileto:

Hi.

buy maize from the market, soak it in water and mix it commando.... Broadcast it on ur farm and see wonders
Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Ayemileto(m): 11:58pm On Jun 25
Zwooks:

It's not wild animals. It's the seeds. Tell me, you planted SeedCo 5xx abi ?

Yes, Seedco 510.

But I think it's wild animals because I actually saw the holes they dug.

They also removed beans I planted too.

But I'll like to know what's wrong with the seeds though.
Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Ayemileto(m): 11:58pm On Jun 25
Esude007:
buy maize from the market, soak it in water and mix it commando.... Broadcast it on ur farm and see wonders

Alright, thanks a lot.
Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Zwooks: 4:38am On Jun 26
Ayemileto:

Yes, Seedco 510.

But I think it's wild animals because I actually saw the holes they dug.

They also removed beans I planted too.

But I'll like to know what's wrong with the seeds though.

It's the seeds. I noticed very poor.germination rate. It was so bad that we.can.say the.geimation rate with them is 65%

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Where Can I Buy Melon(eguzi) In Large Quantity In The North / Crayfish, Rock Bottom Prices / Foreign And Local Turkey: Day Old, One Month, Two Months E.t.c For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.