Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,216 members, 7,963,985 topics. Date: Wednesday, 02 October 2024 at 03:01 AM

My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. (41772 Views)

Meet My 1 Week Pekin Ducklings. / 1.5 Acre's Of Cassava Farm For Sale. / Parrot Destroys Man's Maize Farm (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by toyen4ever: 4:35pm On Jul 08
Please op and other experienced farmers in the house.

My cousin wants to commence operation into cultivation of cassava which he intended to intercrop with maize alongside. Location is in Oyo state.

But I am wondering that is it not too late to go ahead with the project at this time of the year now that it's almost mid july?
Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Esude007: 7:19am On Jul 09
Sorry for the late response.

It is not late for that inter cropping operation.

What he needs is a 85 to 95 days maize variety.

toyen4ever:
Please op and other experienced farmers in the house.

My cousin wants to commence operation into cultivation of cassava which he intended to intercrop with maize alongside. Location is in Oyo state.

But I am wondering that is it not too late to go ahead with the project at this time of the year now that it's almost mid july?

1 Like

Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Zwooks: 7:26am On Jul 09
Esude007:
I noticed grasshopper attack..so application of pesticide commenced immediately.

Grasshoppers can have a significant impact on maize crops, causing:

1. Defoliation: Grasshoppers can eat leaves and stems, reducing the plant's ability to photosynthesize and grow.
2. Ear damage: Grasshoppers can chew on ears, damaging kernels and reducing yields.
3. Stunted growth: Heavy grasshopper infestations can stunt plant growth, reducing yields and affecting plant development.
4. Reduced yields: Grasshopper damage can lead to significant yield losses, up to 100% in severe cases.
5. Lower grain quality: Damaged kernels can be discolored, shriveled, or contaminated with grasshopper frass (insect waste), reducing grain quality.
6. Increased risk of disease: Grasshopper damage can create entry points for diseases, such as fungal infections.
7. Delayed maturity: Grasshopper stress can delay plant maturity, affecting harvest timing and planning.
8. Economic losses: Grasshopper damage can result in significant economic losses for farmers, impacting their livelihoods.

It's essential to monitor fields regularly and take control measures when necessary to minimize grasshopper damage and protect maize crops.

I used cypermetrin as repellant.

Hi

Please what date duration is best for applying treatment against army worms and insects ?
Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Zwooks: 8:42am On Jul 09
Esude007:
The land was first measured. Measuring the land will help u to know the quantity of seed to use. For 1.5 acre, I am using 15kg of sc719.

Permission to ask. In the event that a farmer misses spraying paraquat and Atrazine mixture in the first three days of planting. What can the farmer do let's say the farmer misses to apply Herbicides in the first three days of planting ?
Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Esude007: 9:28am On Jul 09
Zwooks:

Permission to ask. In the event that a farmer misses spraying paraquat and Atrazine mixture in the first three days of planting. What can the farmer do let's say the farmer misses to apply Herbicides in the first three days of planting ?
if you fail to apply pre emergence herbicide, make sure u apply post emergence herbicide very early.. after which manual weeding will continue

2 Likes

Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Zwooks: 9:31am On Jul 09
Esude007:
if you fail to apply pre emergence herbicide, make sure u apply post emergence herbicide very early.. after which manual weeding will continue

Excellent. Thanks for the insights

1 Like

Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Esude007: 1:55pm On Jul 13
The fight with armyworm continue.

The level of rain here is very much, so we've started an operation called earthing up.

Earthing up is the filling of the base of some crops with enough soil for better anchorage.

It was a tedious excercise but we move.

Farming is hard to start, but if u start the right way u become unstoppable.

5 Likes

Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Zwooks: 2:10pm On Jul 13
Esude007:
The fight with armyworm continue.

The level of rain here is very much, so we've started an operation called earthing up.

Earthing up is the filling of the base of some crops with enough soil for better anchorage.

It was a tedious excercise but we move.

Farming is hard to start, but if u start the right way u become unstoppable.

Wow. The soil in the area you executed this project is worrisome. Let's hope the water drains fast
Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Esude007: 7:38pm On Jul 13
Zwooks:

Wow. The soil in the area you executed this project is worrisome. Let's hope the water drains fast
amen bro
Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Esude007: 3:59pm On Jul 16
Day 34 out of 120

We applied NPK mixed with urea

Fight against armyworm continued.

2 Likes

Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Zwooks: 6:23pm On Jul 16
Esude007:
Day 34 out of 120

Very neat farm. This farm is definitely under thorough expert management. I duff my hat

8 Likes

Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Zwooks: 6:53pm On Jul 16
Esude007:
After clearing, pre planting herbicide application commenced. Pre planting herbicide application is important because it help to suppress weed intensity. Weed is a menace in agriculture, it competes with the crop for space, sunlight, water, nutrients etc.

Glyphosate was used for this operation.

Permit me to ask Boss. Did you use Glyphosate before ploughing and planting ? Or after ploughing ?
Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Esude007: 8:06pm On Jul 16
Zwooks:

Very neat farm. This farm is definitely under thorough expert management. I duff my hat
Thank you boss.
Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Esude007: 6:51am On Jul 17
🚜🌽 Maximize Your Maize Yield with These 3 Key Practices!🌽🚜

Hello, amazing farmers and agribusiness enthusiasts! 🌾✨ Are you looking to boost your maize farming success? Whether you're a smallholder farmer or just diving into the world of agriculture, these essential tips will set you on the path to a bountiful harvest!

1. Climate-Smart Crops🌱
Embrace drought-resistant maize varieties! With unpredictable weather patterns, choosing climate-smart crops ensures resilience against dry spells. These robust varieties can thrive even when water is scarce, ensuring your efforts aren't wasted.

2. Weed Management 🌿:
Weeds are the sneaky villains in the story of maize farming. They compete for nutrients, water, and sunlight. Effective weed control through timely weeding or using herbicides not only protects your maize but also boosts yield. Keep those pesky invaders at bay!

3. Timely Planting, Fertilizer Application, and Harvest⏰:
Timing is EVERYTHING in farming! Plant your maize at the right time, ensure proper fertilization, and harvest promptly. Did you know post-harvest losses can slash productivity by up to 35%? By tackling this issue, we could have enough food to feed the world. So, take action now - timely and effective practices lead to a fruitful season!

Let's join hands and make this maize season the best one yet! Share your own tips and experiences below; let's learn and grow together. Happy farming!

2 Likes

Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Esude007: 6:55am On Jul 17
Zwooks:

Permit me to ask Boss. Did you use Glyphosate before ploughing and planting ? Or after ploughing ?
sorry I didn't see your question early.

I used glyphosate during the pre planting stage before land preparation.

I didn't use tractor because of the nature of the land ( waterlogging).

But if you're using tractor, I don't thing applying glyphosate is necessary since ploughing is also weeding.

2 Likes

Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Esude007: 6:34pm On Jul 17
Scouting

Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Esude007: 7:03pm On Jul 18
After work, don't starve yourself.

Refuel with a good meal.

And dont forget, anytime u eat thank a farmer.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by mustyNEMESIS: 12:06am On Jul 19
Damn… e just be like say make I start to eat the corns already haha. Good job sir. Nah this one be farm abeg.
Esude007:
Day 34 out of 120

3 Likes

Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by mustyNEMESIS: 1:44am On Jul 19
@mustapha102

Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Esude007: 5:44am On Jul 19
mustyNEMESIS:
Damn… e just be like say make I start to eat the corns already haha. Good job sir. Nah this one be farm abeg.
thanks
Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by stainzvill(m): 11:43am On Jul 19
Nice job...Keep it up

1 Like

Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Zwooks: 9:05pm On Jul 20
Esude007:
Day 34 out of 120

Did you really write Day 120 instead of 100 ?

I assume it takes 130 days to achieve fully dried grains right ?
Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Zwooks: 9:06pm On Jul 20
Esude007:
After work, don't starve yourself.

Refuel with a good meal

Boss how many weeks will the effect of that initial Paraquat and Atrazine mixture last ?
Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Esude007: 9:08pm On Jul 20
Zwooks:

Did you really write Day 120 instead of 100 ?

I assume it takes 130 days to achieve fully dried grains right ?
we'll see .

It's part of what we want to know.

1 Like

Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Esude007: 9:09pm On Jul 20
Zwooks:

Boss how many weeks will the effect of that initial Paraquat and Atrazine mixture last ?
when properly done when there is enough moisture.

It can last for 3 to 4 weeks
Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Zwooks: 9:09pm On Jul 20
Esude007:
when properly done when there is enough moisture.

It can last for 3 to 4 weeks

Okay Sir. So after it wears off, a repeat mixture is applied I believe?
Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Esude007: 9:21pm On Jul 20
Zwooks:

Okay Sir. So after it wears off, a repeat mixture is applied I believe?
don't use them when the crop has emerged.

When u start noticing new weed, check for this 3 things.

(1) Are the weed broadleaf?

(2) Are the weed shamva grass ( spear grass like)?

(3) Are the weed both broadleaf and shamva grass?

If they are broadleaf, use herbicide that have nicosulphuron ( Striker, guardforce etc)

If they are shamva weed, use herbicide that contain halosulfuron ( cornforce)

If both appear, mix both nicosulphuron and halosulfuron.

Note: apply post emergence when the weed are very young.

Maybe when they have 2 to 3 leaf
Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Zwooks: 9:33pm On Jul 20
Esude007:
don't use them when the crop has emerged.

When u start noticing new weed, check for this 3 things.

(1) Are the weed broadleaf?

(2) Are the weed shamva grass ( spear grass like)?

(3) Are the weed both broadleaf and shamva grass?

If they are broadleaf, use herbicide that have nicosulphuron ( Striker, guardforce etc)

If they are shamva weed, use herbicide that contain halosulfuron ( cornforce)

If both appear, mix both nicosulphuron and halosulfuron.

Note: apply post emergence when the weed are very young.

Maybe when they have 2 to 3 leaf

Wonderful. It is clear to see you have mastered corn production. Permission to use all the ideas communicated in this thread this August and to also create a thread posting them, as I follow my Boss for back very very closely Sir

4 Likes

Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Esude007: 9:44pm On Jul 20
Role on
Zwooks:

Wonderful. It is clear to see you have mastered corn production. Permission to use all the ideas communicated in this thread this August and to also create a thread posting them, as I follow my Boss for back very very closely Sir
Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Zwooks: 4:45am On Jul 21
Esude007:
Role on

Boss, since you are planting and leaving the crops for 120 days, does this mean you will engage in third herbicides application? Because I want to believe that the second herbicides application will wear out when the maize are tasseling somewhere between the 55-60th day from planting. If you will be applying herbicides the third time, would it be the same composition you took your time to write about used for the second that will also be applied for the third application?
Re: My 1.5 Acre Maize Demo Plot. by Zwooks: 4:53am On Jul 21
Esude007:
Role on

I like to ask you still in the spirit of maize farming about something i observed yesterday. I observed a guy beside my farm plant locally grown Maize around April 20. We know the local maize is 100-110 days. But to my surprise he harvested some as fresh yesterday, being the 89th day for sales and permit me to ask, how long can maize stay and can be harvested as fresh maize before they are considered hard and dried for dried maize harvesting ?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Rom Oil Mills - Biggest Edible Oil Refinery - Launched In Ibadan / Kebbi Surpasses One Million Tonnes Of Rice / Willie Obiano Starts Rice Production & Processing In Anambra State(pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.