Stats: 3,168,878 members, 7,872,895 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 03:02 AM

Energy Theft: FG Plans Electricity Offences Tribunal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Energy Theft: FG Plans Electricity Offences Tribunal (10299 Views)

Edo Assembly Crisis: Tinubu Says Obaseki Has Committed Impeachable Offences / FG Plans N88m Cook Stoves For Institutions / Osinbajo Reveals FG Plans For Power Sector (2) (3) (4)

Energy Theft: FG Plans Electricity Offences Tribunal by SoNature(m): 10:25am On Jun 21
The Federal Government said yesterday it was working on establishing an electricity offences tribunal to combat power theft in the country.

Speaking at a briefing in Abuja, the Managing Director, Nigerian Electricity Management Services Agency, NEMSA, Aliyu Tahir, who disclosed this, said: “We are working on the establishment of an electricity offences tribunal with an in-built appeal system for faster dispensation of electricity-related offences. It is to vest NEMSA in-house counsel with powers to prosecute electricity offences.”

Providing further explanation about the tribunal, Tahir said the initiative would adequately check electricity theft when implemented, adding that the National Assembly had been informed.

“We are looking at the establishment of this electricity tribunal to be able to enforce our mandates more. When you look at the enforcement, with respect to sanctioning of violators in the Act, it is a very long process.

“So to fast-track the prosecution of offenders, the establishment of this tribunal solely for the power sector will go a long way in ensuring that we fast-track the process, carry out enforcements and sanction violators,” he said.

The NEMSA boss said based on the powers conferred on the agency in the Electricity Act, NEMSA had been working hard to establish a tribunal that would speedily try electricity-related offences.

He noted that with the tribunal, issues of electricity theft would be addressed speedily and violators prosecuted as quickly as possible.

While noting that the agency was interfacing with the National Assembly on this, Tahir said further: “The establishment of this tribunal has been brought to the knowledge of the legislature and we’ve made submissions to them. Our hope is that they will amend the Electricity Act to include a provision for this.”

He also said his agency was perfecting the process for the establishment of an electricity offences tribunal with an inbuilt appeal system to speedily tackle power-related offences.

He said a total of 2,655,488 meters in the power sector had been tested and calibrated, as most of the equipment had been deployed for use by consumers across the country.

Tahir stated that in line with the mandate of the agency, NEMSA has tested and calibrated over 2.6 million meters.

Eestablished in 2015, was still testing and calibrating more meters to ensure their functionality, durability and safety when in use

“A total of 21,681 electricity installation projects have been inspected and tested, out of which 13,154 have been certified. Also, a total of 16,624 electricity networks have been monitored by NEMSA.

“About 4,921 factories, hazardous installations and public places have been inspected, tested and certified fit, while 2,655,488 electricity meters have been tested and calibrated, as 487 incidences were investigated by the agency,” the NEMSA boss added.

Tahir, who said the figures were based on data compiled by NEMSA as of the first quarter of 2024, added that the Electricity Act 2023 had strengthened the enforcement powers and responsibilities of the agency.

Source: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/06/energy-theft-fg-plans-electricity-offences-tribunal/

Re: Energy Theft: FG Plans Electricity Offences Tribunal by SoNature(m): 10:25am On Jun 21
I don't think this will make much impact. There's already a punishment for bypassing one's metre. I think every state should have at least 3 - 10 discos. These discos will closely monitor the areas they supply power to and how much they make in return.

Nigerians are stealing so much power. That's why discos aren't making any profits and are owing banks almost a trillion naira despite FG support, while Gencos are owing gas companies billions of dollars.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Energy Theft: FG Plans Electricity Offences Tribunal by DevilsEqual(m): 10:31am On Jun 21
I have read about the FG plans to Audit the subsid claim and now this

One thing is sure, Tinubu is here to revolutionize things for the best,man's intention is second to none

If after reading this news, you still have a negative comment to give on this topic, then your affinity for negativity is worrisome and you may have to see a psychologist for mind cleansing

You can troll but troll in an intelligent and logical way...no dey spill balderdash all the time

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Energy Theft: FG Plans Electricity Offences Tribunal by VirtualKB: 11:07am On Jun 21
Hh
Re: Energy Theft: FG Plans Electricity Offences Tribunal by XXXsearch: 11:07am On Jun 21
I denounce that I am not a Muslim any shit.
Seun you need to stop this nonsense oath on Muslim thread while leaving Christian thread open to everybody.

I hope the government stops sponsoring people to their untimely death in this evil satanic hajj of a menace.

Nigeria has lost close to 10 people already to this evil satanic gathering, they would have still been alive had they stayed back in their country.

Hajj must be banned permanently for Nigerians and government stop wasting tax payers money to sponsor it

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Energy Theft: FG Plans Electricity Offences Tribunal by Kionniok: 11:08am On Jun 21
DevilsEqual:

One thing is sure, Tinubu is here to revolutionize things for the best,man's intention is second to none

If after reading this news, you still have a negative comment to give on this topic, then your affinity for negativity is worrisome and you may have to see a psychologist for mind cleansing

You can troll but troll in an intelligent and logical way...no dey spill balderdash all the time

fffgtjkbfdwrtujjjggcddfhhjjjjjnb

Re: Energy Theft: FG Plans Electricity Offences Tribunal by Exclusive002: 11:08am On Jun 21
SoNature:
I don't think this will make much impact. There's already a punishment for bypassing one's metre. I think every state should have at least 3 - 10 discos. These discos will closely monitor the areas they supply power to and how much they make in return.

Nigerians are stealing so much power. That's why discos aren't making any profits and are owing banks almost a trillion naira despite FG support, while Gencos are owing gas companies billions of dollars.
Don't be quick to generalize please, while I agree with some of your point. The statement that Nigeriabs are stealing so much power is not totally true.

Re: Energy Theft: FG Plans Electricity Offences Tribunal by BadMaster: 11:09am On Jun 21
Useless fools that are not even improving power supply.

Re: Energy Theft: FG Plans Electricity Offences Tribunal by 900warriorz: 11:10am On Jun 21
Ogun kee FG and its appointees...Why them never try and jail corrupt officers. FG always giving credence to irrelevancies..

This country will start getting sane from the day corrupt officials gets the death sentence for stealing or misappropriating public funds.

Nonsense and Ingredient angry

Re: Energy Theft: FG Plans Electricity Offences Tribunal by happney65: 11:11am On Jun 21
SoNature:

It is because the sector is not truly privatized. Do true privatizion and nobody will be able to steal from any Discos.

But because the current Discos are not different from the Old Nepa. It is just a change of name and nothing else.

Does anybody bypass paying data or calls for free on their phones? If your data finishes he finishes niyen. You either stay offline or you go recharge...

That is why when they do the right thing, nobody will be able to steal power or bypass metres. You won't even dare it

Re: Energy Theft: FG Plans Electricity Offences Tribunal by Emeka71(m): 11:11am On Jun 21
Exclusive002:
Don't be quick to generalize please, while I agree with some of your point. The statement that Nigeriabs are stealing so much power is not totally true.
Yes o the government should focus more on providing the electricity and make the thing available and reliable because which current would the people tap self (the light that is not always available?) I rest my case.

Re: Energy Theft: FG Plans Electricity Offences Tribunal by iswallker(m): 11:11am On Jun 21
SoNature:

How about the trillions being stolen by discos by fraudulent estimated billing system... lipsrsealed

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Energy Theft: FG Plans Electricity Offences Tribunal by IkeGod9891(m): 11:11am On Jun 21
How about immediate persecution of corrupt politicians?

Re: Energy Theft: FG Plans Electricity Offences Tribunal by iampeterben(m): 11:12am On Jun 21
This would be a welcome development. That is an electricity courtroom. GBAM! I support.
Re: Energy Theft: FG Plans Electricity Offences Tribunal by olatade(m): 11:13am On Jun 21
What about a tribunal for corrupt politicians?
Re: Energy Theft: FG Plans Electricity Offences Tribunal by freemanq(m): 11:14am On Jun 21
Nice move by the federal government, but they forget to setup stealing public funds tribunal and borrowing fund from international society and sharing among few public individuals tribunal.

Re: Energy Theft: FG Plans Electricity Offences Tribunal by MatrixReloaded: 11:16am On Jun 21
XXXsearch:

Seun you need to stop this nonsense oath on Muslim thread while leaving Christian thread open to everybody.

I sponsor it
You dey search 4 raw images
Re: Energy Theft: FG Plans Electricity Offences Tribunal by Meteng: 11:21am On Jun 21
iswallker:

How about the trillions being stolen by discos by fraudulent estimated billing system... lipsrsealed
Dem no go remember set up tribunal for this one o
Re: Energy Theft: FG Plans Electricity Offences Tribunal by Obakoolex(m): 11:24am On Jun 21
Na today nepa staff dey steal from transformer
Re: Energy Theft: FG Plans Electricity Offences Tribunal by Safyqueen: 11:29am On Jun 21
XXXsearch:

I hope the government stops sponsoring people to their untimely death in this evil satanic hajj of a menace.

Nigeria has lost close to 10 people already to this evil satanic gathering, they would have still been alive had they stayed back in their country.

Hajj must be banned permanently for Nigerians and government stop wasting tax payers money to sponsor it

Please cure yourself of Islamaphobic tendencies, stop ethno-religio-tribal bigotic comments, look for knowledge about religions. Ask questions, is there anything called GOD ALMIGHTY that even need to be worshiped? Only then you will contribute meaningfully on religious matters. But now you are ignorance in ignoramus.

23 Likes

Re: Energy Theft: FG Plans Electricity Offences Tribunal by wallarwallar(m): 11:32am On Jun 21
Seun what is going on? To make comment on Muslim topic u hv 2 be a Muslim like cult but anyone can comment on Christian topic Some idiots are making dis religion look so bad .

Re: Energy Theft: FG Plans Electricity Offences Tribunal by akanbiaa(m): 11:34am On Jun 21
Re: Energy Theft: FG Plans Electricity Offences Tribunal by Yestogood: 11:35am On Jun 21
AEDC has placed several people in my estate on band A. Including me. Having reached out severally, no action has been taken.
They want to stop electricity theft. WHAT OF THEIR OWN THEFT?

Re: Energy Theft: FG Plans Electricity Offences Tribunal by TechBaron: 11:39am On Jun 21
Nice one
Re: Energy Theft: FG Plans Electricity Offences Tribunal by wallarwallar(m): 11:41am On Jun 21
There shud be a simple way to dictect customer act of by-passing bt seriously dis band A is a suicide rate .

Safe AND Suitable Travel Packages Available With 99% Guarantee AND Transparent Procedures Plus
Zero Risk Involved.

Please check it out a trial will convince you

Re: Energy Theft: FG Plans Electricity Offences Tribunal by tommy589(m): 11:42am On Jun 21
DevilsEqual:

Good initiative. It is going to be helpful if service providers and consumers have a different platform to seek justice
Re: Energy Theft: FG Plans Electricity Offences Tribunal by Mrford(m): 11:48am On Jun 21
They are killing us with estimated bills.
Re: Energy Theft: FG Plans Electricity Offences Tribunal by Antoeni(m): 11:48am On Jun 21
NEPA Should Go & Start From Akala in Mushin if They Are Seriouus
Re: Energy Theft: FG Plans Electricity Offences Tribunal by JustPowerApps(m): 11:50am On Jun 21
They should also make sure electricity is available for those paying for it and stop robbing the masses for goodness sake.
Re: Energy Theft: FG Plans Electricity Offences Tribunal by Ironbull: 11:51am On Jun 21
The electricity you didn't provide?
Re: Energy Theft: FG Plans Electricity Offences Tribunal by Tochi3(m): 11:51am On Jun 21
DevilsEqual:

..what a load of nonsense..i think you are the öne that needs a psychiatrist..read the Jargons you wrote here because of a failure of an incompetent drug addict..

APC Is A Gang-up - Ekweremadu (Deputy Senate President) / Imo Assembly To Honour Young Rocket Launchers / Only Those With Guilty Conscience Will Be Afraid Of Persecution - APC

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56