Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,108 members, 7,887,237 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 02:58 AM

Hardship: We Can No Longer Plan Our Meals, FCT Residents Cry Out - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hardship: We Can No Longer Plan Our Meals, FCT Residents Cry Out (22795 Views)

Hardship: We Warned Nigerians Against Voting APC –Tambuwal / Hardship: We Are Tired Of FG’s ‘Soon’ Promises – TUC / Even Hungry Dogs Will Reject Our Meals — Prison Inmates Lament (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hardship: We Can No Longer Plan Our Meals, FCT Residents Cry Out by ogododo: 7:01pm On Jun 21
A cross-section of residents of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), says they can no longer fend for their families due to the rising cost of foodstuff.

The residents, who spoke in separate interviews with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Friday in Abuja, said that eating beans and yam have become a luxury due to its high cost.

This, they said, had affected their domestic food timetable, making it impossible to eat varieties.

Mrs Glory Ocholi, a mother, said that beans have become so expensive that it is difficult to buy in bulk as she usually does to help in her nutrition plan.

Before now, I used to buy 10 mudus of white beans for between N9, 000 to N10, 000, at N900 to N950 each.

“While the red one was usually slightly above N100 or N200.

“Currently, white beans cost N2,800 while red beans are sold for N3,000 to N3,500 , yam, Irish and sweet potatoes are also very expensive, it is only the rich that can afford them.

“You cannot buy corn or sorghum, vegetables are a no-go area, so at the end of the day, our children are forced to eat whatever we can provide
’’ she said.

Ocholi said that buying foodstuff at a higher cost had forced her to take off meals like ‘akara’ and pap which used to be a Saturday morning meal in her home.

She appealed to both the government and Nigerian Food Products Suppliers and Manufacturers to find ways to address the situation.

Mr Habila Makama, said that he could no longer afford certain foods in his household due to the high prices.

I used to compliment yam with sweet or Irish potatoes when yam is not in season but now, I cannot afford any of them.

“Sweet potatoes that used to be the cheapest are also expensive. Rice is the only available food now in spite of the cost.

“We eat it every day of the week and probably exchange it with any available swallow with the soup you can afford
,’’ he said.

A NAN correspondent who visited the Dutse-Alhaji market reported that five big tubers of yam now go for a negotiable price of N12, 000 to N14, 000.

At Karu market, corn and millet which previously sold for N850 and N900, is now being sold for N1, 300 per mudu.

NAN also reports that a bag of corn which was previously sold for N40, 000 and millet for N65, 000, are now being sold for N90, 000 per bag.

One of the traders in karu market, Mallam Bashiru Ahmed, said that prices of goods fluctuate daily and could increase by 20 per cent or more, within a week.

He said that traders sometimes go to the market to buy a bag of beans for N160, 000, but end up buying for between N180, 000 or N200, 000 due to price fluctuation.

Ahmed attributed the high cost to transportation of the goods from the northern states to the distribution units or towns, where other middle men or traders go to buy from.

The cost of transportation has contributed to the increase in cost of these foods and it has really affected our business.

“We had to increase the price of grains to meet up with the expenses in logistics, and this is making our customers complain, thereby affecting patronage,’’ he said.

He pleaded with the government to put in place measures that could salvage the cost of transportation and control market price for grains.

This, he said would stop distributors and sellers from inducing unnecessary price increase.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/06/hardship-we-can-no-longer-plan-our-meals-fct-residents-cry-out/

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hardship: We Can No Longer Plan Our Meals, FCT Residents Cry Out by Tjra: 7:02pm On Jun 21
cry
Re: Hardship: We Can No Longer Plan Our Meals, FCT Residents Cry Out by RichardRexs(m): 7:03pm On Jun 21
Beans and plantain and meat that used to be N500 is now #1000. at Wuse 2. Steadily raising shoulder with chicken republic food price. PBAT, you no try

98 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Hardship: We Can No Longer Plan Our Meals, FCT Residents Cry Out by Jostoman: 7:04pm On Jun 21
Nigerians are only eating what they see now and not what they plan to eat and those HAPPY SLAVE will still come here to defend nonsense.

170 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Hardship: We Can No Longer Plan Our Meals, FCT Residents Cry Out by NwaNimo1(m): 7:05pm On Jun 21

3 Likes

Re: Hardship: We Can No Longer Plan Our Meals, FCT Residents Cry Out by Life2ways: 7:09pm On Jun 21
RichardRexs:
Beans and plantain and meat that used to be N500 is now #1000. at Wuse 2. Steadily raising shoulder with chicken republic food price. PBAT, you no try

It's even more than that.

17 Likes

Re: Hardship: We Can No Longer Plan Our Meals, FCT Residents Cry Out by RepoMan007: 7:30pm On Jun 21
Plan it by faith. Lol

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hardship: We Can No Longer Plan Our Meals, FCT Residents Cry Out by NothingDoMe: 7:33pm On Jun 21
Too bad.

Tinubu, the overhyped dinosaur.

146 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Hardship: We Can No Longer Plan Our Meals, FCT Residents Cry Out by Righthussle: 7:39pm On Jun 21
Abuja residents dey complain of hunger? Make una walka enter Aso rock kitchen carry food job na. Na our money dem use buy the food.

Na transport dey hold us wey no dey Abuja.

64 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Hardship: We Can No Longer Plan Our Meals, FCT Residents Cry Out by Boogyman557: 7:39pm On Jun 21

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hardship: We Can No Longer Plan Our Meals, FCT Residents Cry Out by Racoon(m): 7:39pm On Jun 21
Even Abuja - the FCT is not spared of Tinubulation.

53 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hardship: We Can No Longer Plan Our Meals, FCT Residents Cry Out by EyeCumInPiss: 7:40pm On Jun 21
Thïefnubu is a disastrous plague upon this Corn3.
All the 10plagues wey Egypt suffer put together no reach this plague called Thïefnubu. grin

112 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Hardship: We Can No Longer Plan Our Meals, FCT Residents Cry Out by NairalandForumo: 8:03pm On Jun 21
When I talked about the Lagos scam, some people felt I was just being political, I kept on telling them that the Lagos scam will be exposed that it was only a matter of time.... It is well

131 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Hardship: We Can No Longer Plan Our Meals, FCT Residents Cry Out by goodnessme1(f): 8:12pm On Jun 21
Mr Habila Makama, said that he could no longer afford certain foods in his household due to the high prices.

We must teach Igbos political lesson

102 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Hardship: We Can No Longer Plan Our Meals, FCT Residents Cry Out by Seefinish: 8:22pm On Jun 21
Righthussle:
Abuja residents dey complain of hunger?
this is what we saw when we refused to vote Tinubu

Life for FCT is not funny.

Tinubu is a disaster

80 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Hardship: We Can No Longer Plan Our Meals, FCT Residents Cry Out by VirtualKB: 8:31pm On Jun 21
Fact
Re: Hardship: We Can No Longer Plan Our Meals, FCT Residents Cry Out by tobenuel(m): 8:47pm On Jun 21
Toh

APC defenders of iniquities have said we all should start growing and rearing what we eat in our backyard. people that stay in face-me-I-face blocks of houses, I wonder how they going to cope with the backyard issues. in that same backyard, they should cultivate paddy rice(I wonder if they know the meaning of paddy), beans, tomatoes, palm trees, cassava, corn, millet and even cotton and so on. all because APC failed woofully and farmers can no longer tend to their farms cos of bandits, herdsmen and people of the underworld. and everybody is calm as if we are expecting a new bride. I can recall vividly what this same crop of APC did in 2012, but in 2023 they gave us a new bride in the person of Tinubu.

shame on PDP, they are the biggest fools at the moment
APC defenders nearly reduced my IQ, but God pass them

let us all continue to suffer, smell and smile

51 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Hardship: We Can No Longer Plan Our Meals, FCT Residents Cry Out by Antoeni(m): 8:52pm On Jun 21
Eat Bread 🍞 & Okra in the Morning

Cocoyam. & Pap (Akamu ) in The Afternoon

Pawpaw & Bitter Leaf 🍀 Soup at Night.

Then Thank Me Later

7 Likes

Re: Hardship: We Can No Longer Plan Our Meals, FCT Residents Cry Out by Zxcvbnmghtr: 8:57pm On Jun 21
Edris Abdulkarim's song titled "NIGERIA JAGA-JAGA" was released when Obasanjo was the President of Nigeria. What does that tell you?! Mind you, Obasanjo belonged to the PDP. There is nothing new under the sun.

Am talking about the same Obasanjo some people say HE IS THE BEST PRESIDENT AND THE PDP HYPE, APC DEMONIZATION . grin grin grin

I don't want to go as far back to Fela's songs "SUFFERING AND SMILING".

So no be today.

IF YOU ARE POOR, YOU ARE POOR.

Seek a legitimate solution to your poverty. That's the only advice I can give you.

111 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hardship: We Can No Longer Plan Our Meals, FCT Residents Cry Out by ATEAMS: 8:58pm On Jun 21
Fact's
Re: Hardship: We Can No Longer Plan Our Meals, FCT Residents Cry Out by slimfit1(m): 9:38pm On Jun 21
You know where Aso Rock is abi waiting.

6 Likes

Re: Hardship: We Can No Longer Plan Our Meals, FCT Residents Cry Out by Nice2023(m): 9:39pm On Jun 21
It's very funny how bad things have turned out.

I witnessed Tinubu in Lagos,he was a disaster as nothing surprises me about him.

Just get financially prepared,I don't see any solution even in the next three years.

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hardship: We Can No Longer Plan Our Meals, FCT Residents Cry Out by Diego35M: 9:44pm On Jun 21
ogododo:
A cross-section of residents of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), says they can no longer fend for their families due to the rising cost of foodstuff.

The residents, who spoke in separate interviews with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Friday in Abuja, said that eating beans and yam have become a luxury due to its high cost.

This, they said, had affected their domestic food timetable, making it impossible to eat varieties.

I want people to remember the Emirate as a symbol of dignity and peace —Film maker, Zainab Bayero0:01 / 1:00

Mrs Glory Ocholi, a mother, said that beans have become so expensive that it is difficult to buy in bulk as she usually does to help in her nutrition plan.

“Before now, I used to buy 10 mudus of white beans for between N9, 000 to N10, 000, at N900 to N950 each.

“While the red one was usually slightly above N100 or N200.

“Currently, white beans cost N2,800 while red beans are sold for N3,000 to N3,500 , yam, Irish and sweet potatoes are also very expensive, it is only the rich that can afford them.

“You cannot buy corn or sorghum, vegetables are a no-go area, so at the end of the day, our children are forced to eat whatever we can provide,’’ she said.

Ocholi said that buying foodstuff at a higher cost had forced her to take off meals like ‘akara’ and pap which used to be a Saturday morning meal in her home.

She appealed to both the government and Nigerian Food Products Suppliers and Manufacturers to find ways to address the situation.

Related News
Kano Emir tussle: Police won’t evict deposed Emir, CP replies Gov. Yusuf
Save Nigeria's public universities from total collapse, ASUU begs Tinubu
Plateau: Army warns criminals preventing farming
“I used to compliment yam with sweet or Irish potatoes when yam is not in season but now, I cannot afford any of them.

“Sweet potatoes that used to be the cheapest are also expensive. Rice is the only available food now in spite of the cost.

“We eat it every day of the week and probably exchange it with any available swallow with the soup you can afford,’’ he said.

A NAN correspondent who visited the Dutse-Alhaji market reported that five big tubers of yam now go for a negotiable price of N12, 000 to N14, 000.

At Karu market, corn and millet which previously sold for N850 and N900, is now being sold for N1, 300 per mudu.

NAN also reports that a bag of corn which was previously sold for N40, 000 and millet for N65, 000, are now being sold for N90, 000 per bag.

One of the traders in karu market, Mallam Bashiru Ahmed, said that prices of goods fluctuate daily and could increase by 20 per cent or more, within a week.

He said that traders sometimes go to the market to buy a bag of beans for N160, 000, but end up buying for between N180, 000 or N200, 000 due to price fluctuation.

Ahmed attributed the high cost to transportation of the goods from the northern states to the distribution units or towns, where other middle men or traders go to buy from.

“The cost of transportation has contributed to the increase in cost of these foods and it has really affected our business.

“We had to increase the price of grains to meet up with the expenses in logistics, and this is making our customers complain, thereby affecting patronage,’’ he said.

He pleaded with the government to put in place measures that could salvage the cost of transportation and control market price for grains.

This, he said would stop distributors and sellers from inducing unnecessary price increase

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/06/hardship-we-can-no-longer-plan-our-meals-fct-residents-cry-out/
I think this APC government wants to reduce this country's population by starving some (of us) to death, pls everybody should go to farm... And if you find any Fulani man with cow on your farmland, kill am... 😡

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hardship: We Can No Longer Plan Our Meals, FCT Residents Cry Out by slivertongue: 10:16pm On Jun 21
Tinubu is more incompetent than Buhari

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Hardship: We Can No Longer Plan Our Meals, FCT Residents Cry Out by AcadaWriter: 10:17pm On Jun 21
Too bad. politician , the overhyped dinosaur.

12 Likes

Re: Hardship: We Can No Longer Plan Our Meals, FCT Residents Cry Out by ogododo: 10:48pm On Jun 21
Nlfpmod, hunger dey
Re: Hardship: We Can No Longer Plan Our Meals, FCT Residents Cry Out by ogododo: 11:43pm On Jun 21
Diego35M:
I think this APC government wants to reduce this country's population by starving some (of us) to death, pls everybody should go to farm... And if you find any Fulani man with cow on your farmland, kill am... 😡
Dem wan make everybody poor, so palliatives go be like favour.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hardship: We Can No Longer Plan Our Meals, FCT Residents Cry Out by fuckingAyaya(m): 11:59pm On Jun 21
E don red

2 Likes

Re: Hardship: We Can No Longer Plan Our Meals, FCT Residents Cry Out by Macphenson: 5:33am On Jun 22
h.m
Re: Hardship: We Can No Longer Plan Our Meals, FCT Residents Cry Out by Bobloco: 6:48am On Jun 22
The great Tinubulation is upon us

2 Likes

Re: Hardship: We Can No Longer Plan Our Meals, FCT Residents Cry Out by Cassandraloius: 7:47am On Jun 22
He is dealing with Nigerian's mercilessly and they deserve it. Nigerian's hate when someone is good to them, they hate success, they deserve this from his administration. Nonsense and ingredients!

31 Likes

Re: Hardship: We Can No Longer Plan Our Meals, FCT Residents Cry Out by ogododo: 8:21am On Jun 22
Nawa oo Enikpakwon oo.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Fayemi: Oshiomhole’s Allegation Laughable, A Figment Of His Imagination / Wanted Officers Of Nigeria Custom Submits Self For Investigation / Tinubu Remains Influential In Nigeria – Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.