Stats: 3,170,673 members, 7,878,971 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 10:28 AM

The Plate Of Food I Bought For N1500 Was N400 A Year Ago (Photo) - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / The Plate Of Food I Bought For N1500 Was N400 A Year Ago (Photo) (61196 Views)

See The Plate Of Food I Bought In UNICAL Today For N1200 / See The Plate Of Rice I Bought For #400 / See The Plate Of Food I Got For 1500 In An Eatery. The Fish Alone Is 1k (2) (3) (4)

Re: The Plate Of Food I Bought For N1500 Was N400 A Year Ago (Photo) by Bankowner: 9:00pm On Jun 22
travelzcruix:
Na mouth we get o, it cuts across all sectors. The crazy thing here is that the whites that invented education do more practical things with verifiable results. What's really working in Africa as a whole by the way.
It's simply laziness that is affecting us in Nigeria.

The covid era really opened my eyes to how beneficial subsistence farming can be in a household.

I planted yam, corn, vegetable, pepper, and okro. I had time to go mind the farm, and when the harvest came in, I was darn proud of myself.

Re: The Plate Of Food I Bought For N1500 Was N400 A Year Ago (Photo) by StraightGaay: 9:01pm On Jun 22
Premiumbuy:
Premium Be Unto You

Just imagine from 400 to 1500, this might just be the begining by this time next year I'm sure it would be times two of the current price, unfortunately there's nothing we can do about it.
Premium what pls, Tears?

Re: The Plate Of Food I Bought For N1500 Was N400 A Year Ago (Photo) by Walai(m): 9:01pm On Jun 22
You guys should stop making this fallacious statement. Colonial education can never and will never equate modern education. The curriculum and teaching strategies are not the same.
A primary four pupil in today's Nigeria is more educated and exposed than a standard six holder in 1960

Staywithbina:
Are you talking of education,my dear a standard 6 in 1960/ has a better education and can defend himself anywhere better than a PhD holder now
Re: The Plate Of Food I Bought For N1500 Was N400 A Year Ago (Photo) by 82man: 9:02pm On Jun 22
Congratulations to you, next election vote APC again so you can highly buy it at flat rate of #5,000 nna just started for hungry pro max plus from Baba bullaba Tinubu 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: The Plate Of Food I Bought For N1500 Was N400 A Year Ago (Photo) by samintegrity(m): 9:02pm On Jun 22
Rapmoney:
There is this local restaurant I used to eat any time I visit Warri. Omo, na so I enter Mama Teguolo restaurant say make I chop. The food I bought (based on low budget) cost N1500. This is the same food I used to buy by this time last year for N400. The inflation rate in Nigeria is really terrible.

For those people who like screaming, 'Plant your own food, plant your own food', I guess we should also rear our own cattle, goats, sheep, ram, chickens, etc and also refine our own crude oil, manufacture our own cars all in our backyard. We should also look for ways to generate our own electricity individually because the electricity that is given to us is costly.

It is shameful that there are Nigerian youths who still give excuses on behalf of the government. Sometimes, I wonder the essence of education to the Nigerian youth when they make cases for people whose corrupt practices have destroyed the economy and social life of the citizens.

Nigerian youths are busy blaming one pastor or another..
Re: The Plate Of Food I Bought For N1500 Was N400 A Year Ago (Photo) by nedekid: 9:02pm On Jun 22
Bluntemperor:

God bless you Ma'am.
You know we have entitled Mentality,as a People.
But seriously,we refused to know that some Fundamental things are wrong since the 1963 Independence,e g where are the Cocoa Production from the West, the Groundnuts Pyramids,the Palm-Production,etc!
Since our State Governments refused to Farm, except the Oyo State in recent times, Individuals should embark on big time Farming, although we still need Capital!
Two weeks ago,a lady challenge me that she wants to start Fish Farming and within three days, she started it right away at her backgrounds.
We should not be lazy ,as most the lands in East,West and Southern parts are just left fallow!
Have you done farming before? Have you invested heavily in farming to just be mentioning the word farming as if it is for everyone? There will be farmers and there will be buyers of their produce. Not everyone has to be a farmer just as not everyone will be a mechanic or banker.
Must we all be farmers to have affordable foodstuff?

Re: The Plate Of Food I Bought For N1500 Was N400 A Year Ago (Photo) by Staywithbina: 9:03pm On Jun 22
Walai:
You guys should stop making this fallacious statement. Colonial education can never and will never equate modern education. The curriculum and teaching strategies are not the same.
A primary four pupil in today's Nigeria is more educated and exposed than a standard six holder in 1960

I don’t need to argue with you

Re: The Plate Of Food I Bought For N1500 Was N400 A Year Ago (Photo) by bizbro: 9:03pm On Jun 22
DevilsEqual:
I know things are hard and almost everyone is feeling the heat

But I'll be never e understand the need for creating this kinda thread as I've seen 100000 of this in the last two weeks

We can't pray for you
We can't pay for you
We've always complained about it

What do we do about this now

Your mouth and your nyash don enter competition to dey release shit

Re: The Plate Of Food I Bought For N1500 Was N400 A Year Ago (Photo) by papiilo(m): 9:03pm On Jun 22
Mom007:

You can plant your own food. undecided
I will never stop shouting this. Yes you can't plant everything but you can plant some. I'm currently at an agricultural conference is Scotland now and we in Africa, na mouth naim we just get. We have not even started, in fact, we are not even in the race! Na private farms dey feed nation. Everything you buy, you will see 'proudly from Scottish farms', or 'supporting Scottish businesses' stamped on them. Government will never come and farm for you. Agricultural sector is the only sector that has the capacity to drive every other sector of the economy, ignore at your own peril. All these folks building hotels and filling stations upandan, can't you set up farms? Huge mechanised farms? Family owned business that will supply big supermarkets! I see cows wey be like elephant abi hippopotamus I silent. See livestock! Whereas, Our fulani are still busy using their lean hungry cows to cause nuisance and havoc upandan. Chai, who do us? embarassed
I don't believe you

Re: The Plate Of Food I Bought For N1500 Was N400 A Year Ago (Photo) by dododawa1: 9:04pm On Jun 22
Come food basket of the nation
Re: The Plate Of Food I Bought For N1500 Was N400 A Year Ago (Photo) by richmanrichard: 9:04pm On Jun 22
dettolgel:

I am so sorry but with how you reason that conference is just a waste of time for someone like you. I also live in the west I can tell you for a fact that population of farmers responsible for feeding counties like Germany, Netherlands, France or Belgium are less than the total number of farmers we have in Nigeria. Subsistence farming can not feed a nation. In the aforementioned countries mechanised farming is the way.

How did they do?

Government involvement, how?

1. For instance some crops are highly subsidised to ensure that farmers are not out competed by foreign farmers. In Belgium importing Apple from South Africa or grapes from south America is cheaper than cultivating it in Belgium. As a result the government do provide monetary rewards to those farmers so as to sell at very low price to be able to compete. Please I am not sure which of the farm produces in Nigeria that government is subsidising in Nigeria at moment?
2. Access to loans to buy machinery for farming is readily available. I am not sure how easy it will be for a farmer in Nigeria to source loan to buy the type of machine required to farm in a large scale.

Please our government still has a lot to put in place before we can take our agriculture production to the level of the western world. Please stop trying to be smart by half.
well said. you just spoke my mind. She also forgot that in saner Clines, the government also provide lands for farming. Her ideal is good but would never work in Nigeria with the current leadership we have. The key is good government, then, everything will fall in place.

Re: The Plate Of Food I Bought For N1500 Was N400 A Year Ago (Photo) by Madups(m): 9:07pm On Jun 22
Peter obi must be taught a lesson.. All those lesson notes he was skipping at unn.. He thinks he can escape it?

Re: The Plate Of Food I Bought For N1500 Was N400 A Year Ago (Photo) by annyz: 9:09pm On Jun 22
Mom007:

I will never stop shouting this. Yes you can't plant everything but you can plant some. I'm currently at an agricultural conference is Scotland now and we in Africa, na mouth naim we just get. We have not even started, in fact, we are not even in the race! Na private farms dey feed nation. Everything you buy, you will see 'proudly from Scottish farms', or 'supporting Scottish businesses' stamped on them. Government will never come and farm for you. Agricultural sector is the only sector that has the capacity to drive every other sector of the economy, ignore at your own peril. All these folks building hotels and filling stations upandan, can't you set up farms? Huge mechanised farms? Family owned business that will supply big supermarkets! I see cows wey be like elephant abi hippopotamus I silent. See livestock! Whereas, Our fulani are still busy using their lean hungry cows to cause nuisance and havoc upandan. Chai, who do us? embarassed

Will Fulani heardsmen agree?

Them sey na dem get the whole land in Nigeria.

How will private farmers survive now mostly in the North??

Re: The Plate Of Food I Bought For N1500 Was N400 A Year Ago (Photo) by Bankowner: 9:11pm On Jun 22
OneCandleAway:

So what's your point. Do you know the feeling when you lost someone close due to herdsmen killing them on their farm. When givt refuse to provide security. Because it looks like you're not blaming govt but the citizens right now
You don't have to go into the bush to plant your own food. A little space and sacks/pots is all you need to plant yam, cassava, pepper, vegetable, and tomato. Nobody's asking to plant rice or any economic crop.

We're talking subsistence farming here people! Your own food for your own tummy.

Re: The Plate Of Food I Bought For N1500 Was N400 A Year Ago (Photo) by yyba: 9:12pm On Jun 22
columbus007:
my brother,it's time we stop fooling around undecided
Comrade don't mind the Linus

Re: The Plate Of Food I Bought For N1500 Was N400 A Year Ago (Photo) by RichIgboBoy: 9:13pm On Jun 22
Mom007:

abeg which one you don plant? Show us!
Re: The Plate Of Food I Bought For N1500 Was N400 A Year Ago (Photo) by OneCandleAway(f): 9:21pm On Jun 22
Bankowner:

You don't have to go into the bush to plant your own food. A little space and sacks/pots is all you need to plant yam, cassava, pepper, vegetable, and tomato. Nobody's asking to plant rice or any economic crop.

We're talking subsistence farming here people! Your own food for your own tummy.

Landlords will not allow tenants. Do you think everyone owns the house they live in? Even some places aren't properly ventilated nit to talk of space for planting.

Maybe you live in the village, because if you know about city houses you won't say all these

Re: The Plate Of Food I Bought For N1500 Was N400 A Year Ago (Photo) by Bankowner: 9:22pm On Jun 22
nedekid:

Have you done farming before? Have you invested heavily in farming to just be mentioning the word farming as if it is for everyone? There will be farmers and there will be buyers of their produce. Not everyone has to be a farmer just as not everyone will be a mechanic or banker.
Must we all be farmers to have affordable foodstuff?
The bolded will always be the problem we have.
Nobody is asking you to go into large scale farming bro/sis to now talk of investing heavily.
Just grow what you will eat, that's what we're saying. And believe me, it costs next to nothing.
I have done it, I know.

Do you know how much spinach costs over here? Plant that in a small space and it will grow like wildfire and you have yourself vegetable to eat for a long time.

Re: The Plate Of Food I Bought For N1500 Was N400 A Year Ago (Photo) by Mandate1: 9:23pm On Jun 22
Rapmoney:

I would like you to read the Social Contract theory by Thomas Hobbes. Only then can you understand the essence of government and the reason for the existence of a government.
political animal.

Only those who see governance from the lenses of the political scientist will understand the magnitude of rights available to the average citizen. Yet, we waste them all due to tribal and primitive appendages. Tribalism is a bigger problem than corruption in Nigeria.

Re: The Plate Of Food I Bought For N1500 Was N400 A Year Ago (Photo) by dettolgel: 9:24pm On Jun 22
Bankowner:
[b][/b]
Oga! Plant your own food if you can. It will cost you little but you will benefit more.

What's the big deal in buying a tuber of yam, cutting it into several pieces and planting them in bags? And that's if you don't have the land to cultivate.

What's the big deal in planting your own pepper and tomato? Your vegetables, and possibly fruits?

Buy yourself one female local chicken, put in a cage and start rearing. It'll give you eggs and then more chickens that you can rear and kill for meat.

You don't know until you try.

Who is asking you to assemble your own car and refine your own crude? Are those edibles? Concentrate on food cultivation in your very backyard.

Imagine the tenants in face me I face you apartment where are all of them going to situate this your "genius life saving idea"? grin

Re: The Plate Of Food I Bought For N1500 Was N400 A Year Ago (Photo) by Mandate1: 9:27pm On Jun 22
Mom007:

Oga, this ur sermon is not a solution to our problem. Agriculture to feed a nation is not "plant ur own, I plant my own" kind of subsistence agriculture. How many Chinese, Americans are into agriculture? Yet they produce massively for local consumption and export. No serious nation has more than 10% of its population into agriculture. Nigeria has more than 50% of its population into agriculture, yet produces nothing.

It's the duty of the govt to create a secure environment and the boost for people to go into agriculture.

Re: The Plate Of Food I Bought For N1500 Was N400 A Year Ago (Photo) by Bankowner: 9:27pm On Jun 22
OneCandleAway:

Landlords will not allow tenants
This is understandable.

But for those who do have the space, planting spinach, ugwu, pepper, tomato, okro, or rearing one or two chickens shouldn't be a problem.

The yams I harvested back in 2020, I gave to family and friends. I felt so good about it.
Re: The Plate Of Food I Bought For N1500 Was N400 A Year Ago (Photo) by Lyns32uk(m): 9:28pm On Jun 22
Rapmoney:
There is this local restaurant I used to eat any time I visit Warri. Omo, na so I enter Mama Teguolo restaurant say make I chop. The food I bought (based on low budget) cost N1500. This is the same food I used to buy by this time last year for N400. The inflation rate in Nigeria is really terrible.

For those people who like screaming, 'Plant your own food, plant your own food', I guess we should also rear our own cattle, goats, sheep, ram, chickens, etc and also refine our own crude oil, manufacture our own cars all in our backyard. We should also look for ways to generate our own electricity individually because the electricity that is given to us is costly.

It is shameful that there are Nigerian youths who still give excuses on behalf of the government. Sometimes, I wonder the essence of education to the Nigerian youth when they make cases for people whose corrupt practices have destroyed the economy and social life of the citizens.

Grow your own food is here.

Re: The Plate Of Food I Bought For N1500 Was N400 A Year Ago (Photo) by Bankowner: 9:29pm On Jun 22
dettolgel:

Imagine the tenants in face me I face you apartment where are all of them going to situate this your "genius life saving idea"? grin
If you have the space, do it.

That's what I'm saying.
Re: The Plate Of Food I Bought For N1500 Was N400 A Year Ago (Photo) by OneCandleAway(f): 9:31pm On Jun 22
Bankowner:

This is understandable.

But for those who do have the space, planting spinach, ugwu, pepper, tomato, okro, or rearing one or two chickens shouldn't be a problem.

The yams I harvested back in 2020, I gave to family and friends. I felt so good about it.

You know tge right step is to make govt ensure security, but choose to adapt by telling people to farm. So those farmers in idp camps what do they do.

We black people needed to sit down and tell ourselves the Truth

Re: The Plate Of Food I Bought For N1500 Was N400 A Year Ago (Photo) by Mom007(f): 9:33pm On Jun 22
ambale:

You talk like those who are in government already

We have millions of farmers in this same country that herdsmen have chased out of their farms, what has the government done about security?

Do you know that transporting goods is even much more expensive than transporting humans?

Let's be realistic, leave Scotland abi where you go, what will work for Nigerians at this moment?

We need to first accept that we are an underdeveloped nation that has a large population, so we still need government support to make a headway

Let government fight banditry, and other social vices to a standstill

Give us regular power supply, let's have good and motorable roads like Scotland also

And see if we would not compete

Was at Abeokuta last week, I needed to buy pain killer cos of the bad roads linking the entire state, that's a state that should be among the front liners in agriculture in the country.

What are you now saying? We should all wait till people start dropping to the floor out of hunger? Oops. That is happening already. Abi till we start looting food shops and trucks? Oops. E don dey happen. What milestone are you all waiting to cross exactly? When we will start eating one another ba? Why all these excuses? You that is in your compound, how many fulani herdsmen have you seen? What have you planted? When I farmed cassava and corn on about 2 empty plots surrounding my compound about 2years back in shimawa ogun state, I didn't buy garri for a year! I was even dashing out. The corn nko? How many I wan chop? I am a woman. I was working full time running my business while I did that. If I could do it, why can't others?if everyone doesn't buy garri for a few months every year, will price of garri not crash? What is wrong with you all?
Re: The Plate Of Food I Bought For N1500 Was N400 A Year Ago (Photo) by Mom007(f): 9:33pm On Jun 22
papiilo:
I don't believe you

See this one... who cares what you believe? Pstheew
Re: The Plate Of Food I Bought For N1500 Was N400 A Year Ago (Photo) by Didijiji: 9:34pm On Jun 22
This government is a curse

More like a plaque and punishment
Re: The Plate Of Food I Bought For N1500 Was N400 A Year Ago (Photo) by dettolgel: 9:34pm On Jun 22
Bankowner:

If you have the space, do it.

That's what I'm saying.

If I have the space to plant yam, what happens between the planting time and harvest time? What about the other food items that I don't have the space to grow?
Re: The Plate Of Food I Bought For N1500 Was N400 A Year Ago (Photo) by Shikini: 9:35pm On Jun 22
DevilsEqual:
I know things are hard and almost everyone is feeling the heat

But I'll be never e understand the need for creating this kinda thread as I've seen 100000 of this in the last two weeks

We can't pray for you
We can't pay for you
We've always complained about it

What do we do about this now

Very mumu comment.

Oga, why not simply ignore?
Why pained?

Re: The Plate Of Food I Bought For N1500 Was N400 A Year Ago (Photo) by Mom007(f): 9:36pm On Jun 22
Rejouir:
it's obvious you don't read naija news, don't you hear about the killings and kidnapping at farm lands, by bandits. How do you expect farmers to produce cashcrops and government isn't even doing anything about these massacres. Nigerian military are playing politics. It's so shameful.
Who exactly are these farmers of whom you speak? Who did they give birth to and the person had 'farmer' written on his head? You dey forbid to farm? Farm whatever you can in your area is what I am saying. The area you live, how many fulani herdsmen are operating there?
Re: The Plate Of Food I Bought For N1500 Was N400 A Year Ago (Photo) by dettolgel: 9:36pm On Jun 22
Mom007:

What are you now saying? We should all wait till people start dropping to the floor out of hunger? Oops. That is happening already. Abi till we start looting food shops and trucks? Oops. E don dey happen. What milestone are you all waiting to cross exactly? When we will start eating one another ba? Why all these excuses? You that is in your compound, how many fulani herdsmen have you seen? What have you planted? When I farmed cassava and corn on about 2 empty plots surrounding my compound about 2years back in shimawa ogun state, I didn't buy garri for a year! I was even dashing out. The corn nko? How many I wan chop? I am a woman. I was working full time running my business while I did that. If I could do it, why can't others?if everyone doesn't buy garri for a few months every year, will price of garri not crash? What is wrong with you all?

Please can you tell me the proportion of Nigerian families that have access to the space you are referring to?

Secondly, while these families are waiting for the crop to mature before harvest what are the supposed to eat in between?

What about the other crops that they don't have space to cultivate?

Prices Of Rice In Nigeria Per Bag (may 2022) / The Catfish I Bought For #2500 / See The Food I Bought For N500

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79