Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,181 members, 7,887,423 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 08:43 AM

Creation Of New Emirates An Assault On Our Culture’, Sanusi Defends Kano Unity - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Creation Of New Emirates An Assault On Our Culture’, Sanusi Defends Kano Unity (11871 Views)

Zainab Jummai Ado-Bayero Seeks Otti, Sanusi’s Help Over Accommodation Crisis / Haruna Sanusi Resigns After Ganduje’s Installation Of New Emirates Heads In Kano / Lady Makes Shorts With "Isi Agu": "This Is A Total Disrespect To Our Culture" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Creation Of New Emirates An Assault On Our Culture’, Sanusi Defends Kano Unity by iwaeda: 3:48pm On Jun 23
The Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II, delved into the controversies surrounding his removal by the previous government and his subsequent reinstatement by the current administration on Saturday.

This is as he attributed it to the current administration’s recognition of the importance of traditional institutions in governance.

He reaffirmed his commitment to continuing his work on social reforms and supporting the welfare of Kano people.

However, he maintained that he was not afraid of being removed again and that he only wished that the Emirate should remain one.

The monarch disclosed this and many more in an interview with Saturday Sun.

He asserted that the current issues stem from divisions manufactured by the previous government of Abdullah Ganduje).

This is as he added that the people of Kano, a largely homogeneous society, never asked to be divided into new emirates.

When asked how he intended to manage the post-reinstatement crises, Sanusi said, “You ask about managing the fallout. You see, this was something created and manufactured by the previous government. The people of Kano never asked to be divided. In parts of this country, you have had emirates and kingdoms created, and you can understand that.

He said, “If you go to Kaduna State, at one time, you had everything under Zaria. But you had huge Christian minorities, different ethnic groups, and chiefdoms were created for them. It makes sense if they felt that they did not want to be under the emirate system or under what they saw as a self-denial system.

“But Kano is a largely homogeneous society. If you see the Christians in Kano, they are part of us. They don’t say they want to leave us. They’re not asking for a different system. Nobody. If you go to Tudun Wada, we have Christians. You go to Rano; we have Christians. We had an issue in Rogo. You may remember that there was an issue. People went and burnt the church. I went there, took out my own personal money, and rebuilt the church.

So, we are one people. Nobody asked for new emirates. So, what we are dealing with is a situation where somebody divides us. And actually, when you create these things, some people get some privileges. They didn’t ask for it, but they’ve enjoyed it for four years.”

Sanusi asked how the people who have enjoyed what they do not deserve for years now will react.

He continued, “Now, when they lose it, it’s a problem. But the problem is not what has happened today. It is what happened four years ago. If it had not been done, we would not be in this situation today.

“We are one family; we are one people. Somebody comes and divides us up. Even in this family, he takes one emirate and gives it to a part of the family.

“Now, when people enjoy it for four years and you take it away from them, it becomes a problem.

“The Yolawa; the family of Madakin; the Jobawa; the family of the Makama. These are kingmakers. You now take two of the four kingmaker families, Madakin and Makama, and say they should go and report, not to Kano, but to an emirate that you created in Bichi. Something that was run by a village head who was a district head. How? You make a law and say, these are the kingmakers in Kano.

“We have had four traditional kingmakers in all our history. Because you like a particular individual, you just decided, as a governor, that we now have five kingmakers. Out of nowhere, you created a kingmaker position for an individual.”

The monarch further stated that the situation in Kano is not about him personally, but about Kano’s history and culture.

“You’re dealing with Kano. You’re not dealing with me. It’s not about me as a person. It’s about our history and our culture. How does he become a kingmaker? The other kingmakers, the other four, how did their families become kingmakers? When they went and waged the Jihad, when they came and risked their lives, and when they reached this agreement, those four chose the emir.

“We are not superior to them. We’re all part of the Jihad. And they agreed that, for peace, we don’t want to have three, four, or five ruling houses; we’ll allow you to produce the emir, but we will decide who becomes the emir. These are the four.

“So even in those emirates that they created, what they had done was destroy the people. But we who appoint them as district heads know the families from which we select the district head.

“I am making this point so you understand that this is not about me versus somebody. This was an entire assault on a system.

“Even if you want to do it, if it had been well motivated, if you sat down with us to discuss, with people of Rano or people of Gaya, if genuinely they say they wanted an Emirate and the government said we want to do an Emirate, there’s a way of doing it. You sit down, you look at the history. Okay, who are the ruling families? How do you do it? What is the process? And you do it in line with our custom and tradition,” the monarch enthused.

He also faulted the law to bring about creation.

Kano Emirate was not created by the Nigerian Constitution. The Emirate existed before Nigeria.

“The Kano Emirate existed before the Sokoto Jihad. Even Uthman Danfodio did not create the Kano Emirate. The emirate was there. All that happened was that some of his disciples waged a Jihad and conquered Kano. But Kano was in existence.

“You will never find a law in the Nigerian Constitution or any law that created the Kano Emirate,” he declared.

Meanwhile, the monarch also explained why he did not challenge his removal in court.

He noted that this was due to his belief that being chosen as an Emir was God’s decision, and if God decided it was time to leave, so be it.

Answering the question, he said, “I didn’t challenge it for a number of reasons. I have told you that I don’t have a fundamental right to be an emir. I am one of hundreds of princes. God chose me.

And if God says I should leave, for me, I take it that God knows better than me why I had to leave. Okay, let’s say I go to court.

Let me even say this; I just got a letter that said I had been dethroned for insubordination. I had never been queried for insubordination. The details of the insubordination were not given. I had not been given any chance to defend myself.

So, it was clear that the state and the federal governments had both decided that it was time for me to go. Okay?

So, let’s even assume that the court said I should come back. Do you think I was looking forward to working with that government? Would I have been happy as an Emir in the last three years working with that government?”

https://punchng.com/creation-of-new-emirates-an-assault-on-our-culture-sanusi-defends-kano-unity/

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Creation Of New Emirates An Assault On Our Culture’, Sanusi Defends Kano Unity by slivertongue: 3:49pm On Jun 23
talkative political Emir

10 Likes

Re: Creation Of New Emirates An Assault On Our Culture’, Sanusi Defends Kano Unity by Medipharm: 5:18pm On Jun 23
slivertongue:
talkative political Emir
You mean the only Emir that talks the truth all the time?

83 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Creation Of New Emirates An Assault On Our Culture’, Sanusi Defends Kano Unity by slivertongue: 5:22pm On Jun 23
Medipharm:

You mean the only Emir that talks the truth all the time?

sensation like BH is protesting 13% given to the Niger Delta, NASS takes 25% of national budget etc.

2 Likes

Re: Creation Of New Emirates An Assault On Our Culture’, Sanusi Defends Kano Unity by iwaeda: 5:54pm On Jun 23
May my mouth no kill me emir. grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Creation Of New Emirates An Assault On Our Culture’, Sanusi Defends Kano Unity by Jostoman: 8:23pm On Jun 23
Emir Sanusi is the authentic Emir of Kano whoever dont like it like that should go and hug transformer.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Creation Of New Emirates An Assault On Our Culture’, Sanusi Defends Kano Unity by iwaeda: 12:42am On Jun 24
Jostoman:
Emir Sanusi is the authentic Emir of Kano whoever dont like it like that should go and hug transformer.
Nlfpmod, how many emirs are in Kano. grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Creation Of New Emirates An Assault On Our Culture’, Sanusi Defends Kano Unity by Ndimkpurummiri(m): 9:11am On Jun 24
Small support that Sanusi got from IPOBidients has turned to calamity for him

40 Likes

Re: Creation Of New Emirates An Assault On Our Culture’, Sanusi Defends Kano Unity by akinmusi(m): 9:11am On Jun 24
Tradition and custom now rasterized with politics.
Re: Creation Of New Emirates An Assault On Our Culture’, Sanusi Defends Kano Unity by AllTheWayUp: 9:12am On Jun 24
Jostoman:
Ado Bayero is the real Emir, if not Kwankwaso illegally installed Sanusi as Emir when GEJ was still in Power around 2013/2014
Ado Bayeo was the Emir designate after the death of his father.
Sanusi has no business being the Emir of Kano

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Creation Of New Emirates An Assault On Our Culture’, Sanusi Defends Kano Unity by ChizzyBuna(m): 9:12am On Jun 24
Time to Abolish all these useless Traditions
Of what use or benefit of all these traditional crap??

Has Emir ever help change fuel price or help reduce price of food??

It's only to wear expensive clothes and be wasting money looking flamboyant while the masses languish in hunger.

Abeg they should abolish and disband this Emir crap

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Creation Of New Emirates An Assault On Our Culture’, Sanusi Defends Kano Unity by israelmao(m): 9:12am On Jun 24
Gandollar is a total disgrace to the Hausa /Fulani's cultural and traditional setting and a child formed out of misspent semen to have reduced Emirate to such a disrepute.

1 Like

Re: Creation Of New Emirates An Assault On Our Culture’, Sanusi Defends Kano Unity by Nahunger(m): 9:12am On Jun 24
Tell them!!

You self too calm, Baba match people head.

1 Like

Re: Creation Of New Emirates An Assault On Our Culture’, Sanusi Defends Kano Unity by Paraman: 9:14am On Jun 24
The people of Kano state didn't protest. You're only saying this because it affected you.

The people of Kano no send at all

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Creation Of New Emirates An Assault On Our Culture’, Sanusi Defends Kano Unity by Padipadi: 9:14am On Jun 24
You messed up SLS. You are going to scatter your state for not accepting to leave in peace!

1 Like

Re: Creation Of New Emirates An Assault On Our Culture’, Sanusi Defends Kano Unity by Biodun556(m): 9:14am On Jun 24
slivertongue:
talkative political Emir

He wants the Emirate to remain one under a Fulani emir

what of the hausas that want there own emir?

Is it compulsory to unite under Fulani rule?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Creation Of New Emirates An Assault On Our Culture’, Sanusi Defends Kano Unity by Padipadi: 9:15am On Jun 24
Jostoman:
He ll be booted out and you ll be the one to hug and carry transformer on ya coconut head!

2 Likes

Re: Creation Of New Emirates An Assault On Our Culture’, Sanusi Defends Kano Unity by Niok: 9:15am On Jun 24
slivertongue:
talkative political Emir
urchin you go heal
Re: Creation Of New Emirates An Assault On Our Culture’, Sanusi Defends Kano Unity by Merit1998: 9:15am On Jun 24
The battle line is draw already
Re: Creation Of New Emirates An Assault On Our Culture’, Sanusi Defends Kano Unity by Biodun556(m): 9:16am On Jun 24
Anoda7gigs:
The current issues stem from divisions manufactured by the previous government of Abdullah Ganduje.

No

It has been there for decades

Hausas have been clamoring for their own Emir

3 Likes

Re: Creation Of New Emirates An Assault On Our Culture’, Sanusi Defends Kano Unity by Padipadi: 9:16am On Jun 24
Biodun556:

He wants the Emirate to remain one under a Fulani emir

what of the hausas that want there own emir?

Is it compulsory to unite under Fulani rule?
I wonder o!
He's a greedy western stooge politician!
He's working in proxy for NNPP.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Creation Of New Emirates An Assault On Our Culture’, Sanusi Defends Kano Unity by ElevationD: 9:17am On Jun 24
SLS gave a brief narrative of the events that have led to the present tussle in the Kano monarchy.

I think the powers given to governors to remove and install governors is absolute and can lead to plenty of trouble. The kings are closer to the people and spend longer periods with the people. Politicians come and go, after spending eight years in office at the most. I wonder how a governor who has just one or two years to go, would remove a King who probably has spent over twenty years on the throne. Worse of all is of that particular King is in good stead with his people.

Ganduje knew SLS as a man who would not be cowed. Afterall they made him the Emir to spite GEJ. Whatever the fallout of that, they who made him the King should have managed with him, rather than bring the entire emirates to disrespect, as we presently see.

Splitting the Emirates only served a political purpose and there was no need for that. The people were happy and the district heads apparently were happy. Ganduje brought out the truth in the likes of Bayero about power.

The present governor had done the right thing by reuniting the Emirate. Even though Bayero is no longer the Emir, he should swallow the shame and embarrassment, just as SLS did and return to his original position. For now SLS is the Emir and it is not envisaged that the Federal high court can remove him.

1 Like

Re: Creation Of New Emirates An Assault On Our Culture’, Sanusi Defends Kano Unity by Tealcrestmedia(m): 9:18am On Jun 24
Always speaking with wisdom. It's a shame how our traditional stools are no longer respected by some politicians.
Re: Creation Of New Emirates An Assault On Our Culture’, Sanusi Defends Kano Unity by Authoreety: 9:18am On Jun 24
Sanusi should just gettat...
He got that post thru fraud by someone trying to spite Jonathan... Sanusi helped to foist the failure production machine called APC on Nigerians cos of his grievances with Jonathan

Let him enjoy his karmarial nemesis...

I always knew Jonathan serves a living God. You don't play with the offspring of a Lion

2 Likes

Re: Creation Of New Emirates An Assault On Our Culture’, Sanusi Defends Kano Unity by senatordave1(m): 9:19am On Jun 24
Rants of a fallen illegal Emir
Re: Creation Of New Emirates An Assault On Our Culture’, Sanusi Defends Kano Unity by dangermouse(m): 9:21am On Jun 24
Long live the king in the North.
Re: Creation Of New Emirates An Assault On Our Culture’, Sanusi Defends Kano Unity by Saao(m): 9:22am On Jun 24
But Sanusi too talk, he didn't know why emirs usually covers their mouth with veils? Just to restrict them from talking or urge to talk anytime but Sanusi, he will remove the veil and talk. Politicians won't like talkative traditional ruler

1 Like

Re: Creation Of New Emirates An Assault On Our Culture’, Sanusi Defends Kano Unity by SavageResponse(m): 9:23am On Jun 24
This man should just STFU!
Re: Creation Of New Emirates An Assault On Our Culture’, Sanusi Defends Kano Unity by Astra101: 9:27am On Jun 24
Which culture is this emir talking about
Is it the hausa culture that has been completely subdued are exterminated centuries ago by Islam?

Someone should please educate me!

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Rilwanu Suleiman Adamu: Don’t Force Marriage On Your Daughter / Origins Of The Word 'pikin' / How Often Do You Mix English With Your Native Language While Talking?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.