Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,172 members, 7,963,840 topics. Date: Tuesday, 01 October 2024 at 08:26 PM

EEDC To Refund ₦11.8bn To South-East Customers Over Crazy Bills - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EEDC To Refund ₦11.8bn To South-East Customers Over Crazy Bills (12774 Views)

FG Allocates ₦2.8Bn To NICTM To Build Palaces, Police Stations In Edo, Osun / Discos Struggle To Satisfy Band A Customers Over Gas Shortage / IGP Adamu Seeks N24.8bn To Fuel Vehicles, Motorcycles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

EEDC To Refund ₦11.8bn To South-East Customers Over Crazy Bills by Everlastingson: 8:32am On Jul 09
Crazy Bills: Enugu DisCo to refund N11.8b to Southeast customers

The Enugu Electricity Distribution Company (EEDC) is to refund over N11 billion to customers in the southeast region, being the sum it over-billed them between January to September 2023.

This is contained in an order by the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC), which insisted that the EEDC over-billed 1,011,402 customers within the period through overestimation.

At the billing cycle for energy consumed in February 2024, NERC said EEDC shall credit the accounts for all customers that were over-billed between January to September 2023 based on the Commission’s assessment as contained in Schedule 1.

The commission lamented that the persistent non-compliance with the order on capping of estimated bills by the EEDC for the period January-September 2023 had led to widespread customer dissatisfaction, which had aggravated customer apathy to pay their bills, thereby contributing to the liquidity issues in the NESI.

A check on order no 2024/006 by the NERC indicates that the sum of N11,866,263,420.31 was over-billed from customers between January and September 2023.

According to a performance review done by the NERC within the period under review, the EEDC failed to comply with the monthly caps as estimated bills approved by the commission.

“Upon completion of the review, the commission issued an RD stipulating a 14-day compliance deadline which expired in August 2023.

“The RD also notified EEDC that further regulatory actions shall be taken in accordance with the KPI Order for subsequent non-compliance. The continuous failure of EEDC to adhere to the commission’s monthly caps for estimated billing has led to significant over-billing of customers,” the NERC noted.

While outlining the monthly over-billings, the NERC noted that 203,375 customers were over-billed N1,933,495,624 in September; 188,298 customers were over-billed N1,745,269,356 in August, while 169,867 customers were over-billed N1,700,205,554 in July, among others.

The commission ordered as follows: “At the billing cycle for energy consumed in February 2024, EEDC shall reconcile the accounts and issue credit adjustments for all customers that were over-billed between January-September 2023 based on the Commission’s assessment as contained in Schedule 1.

“EEDC shall submit its billing data for the February 2024 cycle (and any other relevant information) to the Commission as evidence of compliance with the provisions of section 11(A)(6) of this Order, no later than the 31st of March 2024.

“EEDC shall publish, in 2 (two) National dailies, citing the provisions of this Order, the list of credit adjustment beneficiaries (follow the sample contained in Schedule 1), and the same concurrently posted on its website, not later than the 31st of March 2024.”

To forestall further non-compliance, the NERC ordered a deduction of N1,186,626,342, which is equivalent to 10% of the naira value of the total over-billing for the period January – September 2023, to be applied to EEDC’s annual OpEx over a rolling 12-month period during the next tariff review.

It warned that notwithstanding the provisions of section 11(B)(6), and pursuant to the provision of section 34(2)(F) of the EA 2023, the Commission may deduct a greater percentage of the total over-billing from EEDC’s admin OPEX where non-compliance with capping Orders persists.

Efforts to get a reaction from the EEDC on the development on Monday proved abortive. Spokesperson of the Company, Emeka Eze, declined to speak on the matter.

https://guardian.ng/crazy-bills-enugu-disco-to-refund-n11-8b-to-southeast-customers/

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: EEDC To Refund ₦11.8bn To South-East Customers Over Crazy Bills by Everlastingson: 8:34am On Jul 09
nlfpmod. Front page, pls . E don too much for NEPA.

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: EEDC To Refund ₦11.8bn To South-East Customers Over Crazy Bills by immortalcrown(m): 8:35am On Jul 09
This amount is just for about 9 months. Imagine what they did for years.

You sure say dem go pay the money?

How dem go take distribute the money to customers?

EEDC is a big scam. It is said that prepaid meters are not the properties of the customers. But new customers pay for the meters. When a customer pays for the meter, EEDC creates an account for the customer, gives the customer power supply with estimated billing for months before providing the customer with the meter.

Why do new customers pay for the meters when they can't own the meters? And why must the customers suffer estimated billing for months before getting the meters?

descarado:
Allocation. Works only for those using prepaid metre
When the major victims of the over-billing are those billed with estimation?

48 Likes

Re: EEDC To Refund ₦11.8bn To South-East Customers Over Crazy Bills by Curious345: 8:36am On Jul 09
Don't forget EEDC IS owned by Emeka offor.

Black on black crime

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: EEDC To Refund ₦11.8bn To South-East Customers Over Crazy Bills by Realtord43: 8:37am On Jul 09
I'm more interested on how the intend paying back the money

13 Likes

Re: EEDC To Refund ₦11.8bn To South-East Customers Over Crazy Bills by Everlastingson: 8:41am On Jul 09
Realtord43:

They're not likely to pay back cash. From the meter numbers they will have to forfeit future bills to balance what they stole from the customers.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: EEDC To Refund ₦11.8bn To South-East Customers Over Crazy Bills by Atuero(m): 8:46am On Jul 09
This is the right sanctions for EEDC, if they don't want to comply, NERC can just direct we the customers to take law into our hands and recover these crazy billed money in over billing

The EEDC made over 10B naira last month yet can't increase the salary of their workers only to put too pressure on them threatening them with non performance leading to indiscriminate disconnection and the resultant bribery in the form of reonnectiin fees

Enugu state government showed them pepper last month by sealing their offices including their cooperate Headquarters

5 Likes

Re: EEDC To Refund ₦11.8bn To South-East Customers Over Crazy Bills by descarado: 8:58am On Jul 09
immortalcrown:
This amount is just for about 9 months. Imagine what they did for years.

You sure say dem go pay the money?

How dem go take distribute the money to customers?
Allocation. Works only for those using prepaid metre

1 Like

Re: EEDC To Refund ₦11.8bn To South-East Customers Over Crazy Bills by MasterJayJay: 9:02am On Jul 09
Selling blackout to customers.

Give every customer prepaid meter and all these theft by DISCOs will stop.

8 Likes

Re: EEDC To Refund ₦11.8bn To South-East Customers Over Crazy Bills by Conceptdone12: 9:19am On Jul 09
Realtord43:
I doubt they will
Re: EEDC To Refund ₦11.8bn To South-East Customers Over Crazy Bills by LtChisom: 9:19am On Jul 09
Make I hear, Emeka offor aBi?
Re: EEDC To Refund ₦11.8bn To South-East Customers Over Crazy Bills by Ekaette1621990: 9:20am On Jul 09
You NEPA CHI CHUM CHIN

If they return the money, "ANY DAY WEY I ENTER BATHROOM MAKE I STAND NAKED"

Anyway I laugh in Swahili 😂😂😂😂
Re: EEDC To Refund ₦11.8bn To South-East Customers Over Crazy Bills by Spiritmask: 9:21am On Jul 09
A
Re: EEDC To Refund ₦11.8bn To South-East Customers Over Crazy Bills by Ray07(m): 9:22am On Jul 09
nairaland1, these are the people you defend daily that they don't make profit as they should.

The electricity sector is the most corrupt in the country.

2 Likes

Re: EEDC To Refund ₦11.8bn To South-East Customers Over Crazy Bills by ruggedboych: 9:22am On Jul 09
if i hear say they return am cheesy grin
Re: EEDC To Refund ₦11.8bn To South-East Customers Over Crazy Bills by Yafoll: 9:24am On Jul 09
This is almost impossible
Re: EEDC To Refund ₦11.8bn To South-East Customers Over Crazy Bills by chatinent: 9:25am On Jul 09
Curious345:
Don't forget EEDC IS owned by Emeka offor.

Black on black crime

Owned?
Re: EEDC To Refund ₦11.8bn To South-East Customers Over Crazy Bills by ElevationD: 9:25am On Jul 09
What about BEDC?
That’s the worst DISCO in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: EEDC To Refund ₦11.8bn To South-East Customers Over Crazy Bills by bestman09(m): 9:25am On Jul 09
I pray it comes to pass.

Emeka Offor and his EEDC are a criminal set up. No light, yet outrageous bills monthly
Re: EEDC To Refund ₦11.8bn To South-East Customers Over Crazy Bills by wallrichy: 9:25am On Jul 09
What! And just for 9 Months. This country is a gunner, Otilor......how can you billed people indiscriminately to such a level of money. Omg! This country is crazy cos people wouldn't talk, they tolerate nonsense too much. Nigerian takes shits from their leaders without fighting back but will come on social media and be talking nonsense, fight themselves over tribal differences....who is stupid sef? Nigerians or the government.....

1 Like

Re: EEDC To Refund ₦11.8bn To South-East Customers Over Crazy Bills by lonelydora: 9:26am On Jul 09
Please o,

Ohafia LGA in Abia State should get 90% of that money.

EEDC mere anyi aru!

1 Like

Re: EEDC To Refund ₦11.8bn To South-East Customers Over Crazy Bills by Daniiel: 9:26am On Jul 09
No wonder we wey dey pay 72k per flat a month Dem go dey use band A as excuse
Re: EEDC To Refund ₦11.8bn To South-East Customers Over Crazy Bills by sonofsteven: 9:27am On Jul 09
Can't the south east governors demand for this money and use it to generate power, for the south east alone?
Add money and build something like the geometric power in abia state and reduce cost of purchasing power for the residents??

2 Likes

Re: EEDC To Refund ₦11.8bn To South-East Customers Over Crazy Bills by OmotolaDiego(m): 9:28am On Jul 09
Ebimpawa ooooo
Re: EEDC To Refund ₦11.8bn To South-East Customers Over Crazy Bills by Bliztzer: 9:29am On Jul 09
Everlastingson:
nlfpmod. Front page, pls . E don too much for NEPA.

I apply for prepaid meter, with new account. Ikeja electric say I go open account and come sign say I go pay for bill wey I no use, then I go come apply for prepaid meter.

You see say this country na crooks and wicked people full am. I no get wires for pole and I no use light but you want make I pay for light wey I no use. In what way is different from the agbero system. Agbero is the only group of people in this country that has no motor or bus but earn millions on daily basis for being lazy. You can tell that something is fundamentally wrong with us.
Re: EEDC To Refund ₦11.8bn To South-East Customers Over Crazy Bills by davidtemi(m): 9:29am On Jul 09
We dey wait
Re: EEDC To Refund ₦11.8bn To South-East Customers Over Crazy Bills by Vodymoney(m): 9:29am On Jul 09
I hope am part of the customers cos I need money like seriously
Re: EEDC To Refund ₦11.8bn To South-East Customers Over Crazy Bills by ThinkSmarter: 9:29am On Jul 09
Emeka Offor
Re: EEDC To Refund ₦11.8bn To South-East Customers Over Crazy Bills by melodyogonna(m): 9:32am On Jul 09
EEDC wanted to kill me with billing when I still used estimated billing.
Re: EEDC To Refund ₦11.8bn To South-East Customers Over Crazy Bills by hushuptimus: 9:33am On Jul 09
o

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

POLL: Should A Referendum Be Held On Biafra?. THE CABLE. / Ikoyi High-rise Collapse: Osinbajo Saddened, Condoles With Affected Families / New 100 Naira Note Designed And Ready For Circulation In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.