Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,378 members, 7,947,612 topics. Date: Friday, 13 September 2024 at 03:30 AM

Supreme Court Grants LGs Financial Autonomy - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Supreme Court Grants LGs Financial Autonomy (31963 Views)

Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary / Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary / Hidden Reason Senators Back Financial Autonomy For Lgs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Supreme Court Grants LGs Financial Autonomy by Zxcvbnmghtr: 11:27am On Jul 11
Ojuntana:

What about you technical adviser? Are you exempt from holding government accountable?

Besides, how does this judgement now change anything when most of the powers is still vested in FG and state through the exlusive and concurrent lists? You sha must defend your paymasters in everything

YOU SHA MUST DIE A PESSIMIST!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Grants LGs Financial Autonomy by udemzyudex(m): 11:27am On Jul 11
Lol.. It's one to grant and it's another thing to implement.

Una governors go gree?
Re: Supreme Court Grants LGs Financial Autonomy by lexy2014: 11:27am On Jul 11
WikeTheDrunk:
Stories.

It is only applicable when the federal government stops controlling the resources of the states. No governor will implement it and nothing will happen. Most African countries have very weak institutions.

what are the resources of the states that the FG is controlling?

how does that prevent the states from granting LGs autonomy?

4 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Grants LGs Financial Autonomy by mohims(m): 11:27am On Jul 11
sparko1:

Watch how local government election will be like presidential election soon.

That's very true sha

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Grants LGs Financial Autonomy by Paraman: 11:28am On Jul 11
lereinter:

tinubu doesn't know you or respect you

In your signature, you wrote rubbish, now you posting useless comments

You are just inviting curse on your head daily, later you start running from one mountain to another

Not knowing you are the one who has harmed himself by himself

You are not ashamed of yourself

Lo sun ki o ronu
Wetin dey make you cry like this? Cause me.i don't know o

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Grants LGs Financial Autonomy by Paraman: 11:28am On Jul 11
Fido24:
What will now happen to those Local Council Development Area LCDAs created by some state government. who will fund them?
State governors

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Grants LGs Financial Autonomy by ojasweb(m): 11:29am On Jul 11
WikeTheDrunk:
Stories.

It is only applicable when the federal government stops controlling the resources of the states. No governor will implement it and nothing will happen. Most African countries have very weak institutions.

Did you mean the state government will collect the money if the federal government release local government allocation directly to the local government?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Grants LGs Financial Autonomy by mohims(m): 11:29am On Jul 11
treatise:

We had stockpiled enough Ibuprofen and diclofenac for the Governors because we envisaged this direction of the judgement. Distribution to each state capital starts soonest.
Hahahaha please I will like to be one of your distributors because my state Governor is in severe pains right now. He will be needing this pain killers. Lol

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Grants LGs Financial Autonomy by mohims(m): 11:29am On Jul 11
MMWandali:

The govs may not comply easily unless there's a way of compelling them
That's very true. After all, the FG, have disobeyed court orders on numerous occasions
Re: Supreme Court Grants LGs Financial Autonomy by adioolayi(m): 11:30am On Jul 11
Successlane:

This responsibility should be given to INEC ASAP

I totally agree with you. The FG will have to lobby the National Assembly to amend the constitution to scrap SIEC or give supervisory functions to INEC... because, I am not sure the Governors will not corner the State Assembly not to entertain this

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Grants LGs Financial Autonomy by heniford2: 11:30am On Jul 11
It will not work Sabi state governor decides when to run local government elections like in Anambra forget it,it will not work
Re: Supreme Court Grants LGs Financial Autonomy by Inspirer1: 11:31am On Jul 11
domDva:
Now let me see the excuse the useless Chairman of my LG would give for his lack of performance.

Another thing is that in this banana republic, the governors will still be calling the shot while the LG chairmen will keep quiet to show loyalty.

How many states even have elected LG chairmen sef.
SC also ruled that FG should withheld the funds to states that doesn't have democratically elected chairman of LGAs.

By virtue of that, such states will have to conduct elections for their LGAs.

My concern is those states that have LCDAs, what will happen to the LCDAs.

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Grants LGs Financial Autonomy by Ojuntana: 11:32am On Jul 11
Zxcvbnmghtr:

YOU SHA MUST DIE A PESSIMIST!!!

You sha must die a zombie!!!
Re: Supreme Court Grants LGs Financial Autonomy by BluntCrazeMan: 11:32am On Jul 11
crestedaguiyi:
serious win for Tinubu
Well..

Let us count this one partially....

But the EFFECTIVE AND EFFICIENT IMPLEMENTATION would determine whether we would truly count it for him in the end or not.
Re: Supreme Court Grants LGs Financial Autonomy by Mrexcell(m): 11:33am On Jul 11
Jorussia:
This is a welcome development that would definitely improve the lives of Nigerians.Even as little as grading of road, local governments can hardly do in Edo State due to the governor holding unto their money.As a teenager in late 90's and early 2000s,it was normal for local governments to grade and construct roads,donate transformers,build health centers etc.The next step is to return consult of lga elections back to Inec.I don't know who told obj to handover the conduct of lga elections to state in 2003.

The ruling party can easily manipulate inec to win as usual in opposition states inec really needs to be independent before something like this can be supported.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Grants LGs Financial Autonomy by Btruth: 11:33am On Jul 11
Kudos 👍
Re: Supreme Court Grants LGs Financial Autonomy by Atlantis585: 11:33am On Jul 11
All the Governors in mourning mood especially APC ones like Sanwo Olu and Hope Uzodinma grin
Re: Supreme Court Grants LGs Financial Autonomy by bluecircle470: 11:34am On Jul 11
WikeTheDrunk:
Stories.

Your comment/write-up does not even align

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Grants LGs Financial Autonomy by millionaireman: 11:34am On Jul 11
mohims:
Most Governors are in severe pains right now upon hearing this judgement by the Apex court. This is a welcome development! E sweet me die

No more situation of people from Imo state capital area seeing others in the same state as second class citizens after state capital governors use funds of local government areas to build only in the
state capital but watch rest of the state return to pre-independence years development status.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Grants LGs Financial Autonomy by Zxcvbnmghtr: 11:35am On Jul 11
Ojuntana:

You sha must die a zombie!!!

A ZOMBIE IS AN OPTIMIST!

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Grants LGs Financial Autonomy by Femidfo: 11:36am On Jul 11
Is the president Tinubu the Judge that gave the ruling? I don't understand why clapping for him?
The system is built around individual in this country not an institution and we the people for suit as a result of slavery mentality and mindset. Sadly,the Nigeria politicians understand this including the President himself! It's a shame!

Paraman:
A very welcome develop

God bless President Bola Ahmed Tinubu

God bless the south west and south south

God bless the north

God bless Nigeria forever
Re: Supreme Court Grants LGs Financial Autonomy by Artscollection: 11:37am On Jul 11
LG election go be die now

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Grants LGs Financial Autonomy by dequir: 11:37am On Jul 11
The governors' major feeding bottle has been taken away.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Grants LGs Financial Autonomy by phemray(m): 11:37am On Jul 11
Paraman:
A very welcome develop

God bless President Bola Ahmed Tinubu

God bless the south west and south south

God bless the north

God bless Nigeria forever

Yes oo my brother. This is a Land mark achievement of the jagaban burgu, the master strategist. I don't know if the governors can appeal to the supreme Court but if the judgement is final, then the dividend of democracy is here. I trust what Asiwaju can do to better the lifes of the masses at the grassroot. Kudos to fagbemi. Why i love jagaban too much is his logics, strategy in winning court cases. Jagaban don't lose election and he hardly loses court case. Give it to him.
Re: Supreme Court Grants LGs Financial Autonomy by TOPCRUISE(m): 11:37am On Jul 11
Hold your local government accountable if roads and other infrastructures are bad
Re: Supreme Court Grants LGs Financial Autonomy by Paraman: 11:38am On Jul 11
Femidfo:
Is the president Tinubu the Judge that gave the ruling? I don't understand why clapping for him?

You're asking me a chididsh question

Who went to the supreme court because of this issue? Is it not the FG led by the president?
Re: Supreme Court Grants LGs Financial Autonomy by Ayodupe: 11:38am On Jul 11
Nice one, long overdue
Re: Supreme Court Grants LGs Financial Autonomy by lozanni(m): 11:39am On Jul 11
Its a very good judicial pronouncement by the Supreme Court; I hope the Elected Local Government Chairman and Councilors will keep faith with the people at the grassroots to ensure the much needed infrastructural and socio-economic development of those areas.
Re: Supreme Court Grants LGs Financial Autonomy by geewean(m): 11:39am On Jul 11
This is Nigeria where the reality of an ideal situation is always the opposite here.

Now tactics will change going forward. As long as the governors are in charge of the election of LG chairmen then they will ensure that only loyal men are elected into office.

This loyalty is premised on heavy conditions that will be difficult for them to exercise their full financial autonomy.

This axis has been a juicy platform to enrich the yeye governor's and this law will be tactically superseded to their advantage.

The federal government should have an independent body that will guide and help this autonomy.The president must have an eagle eye on this for it to work.
Re: Supreme Court Grants LGs Financial Autonomy by Intrepid01(m): 11:40am On Jul 11
I am not a fan or support of Tinubu but he must be credited for this singular action. He has been fighting for LG autonomy for a long time. I believe he might get Nigeria restructured before he leaves Aso Rock.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Grants LGs Financial Autonomy by jattopeter(m): 11:40am On Jul 11
Most , 95 percent has selected or Nominated LG Chairmen.
domDva:
Now let me see the excuse the useless Chairman of my LG would give for his lack of performance.

Another thing is that in this banana republic, the governors will still be calling the shot while the LG chairmen will keep quiet to show loyalty.

How many states even have elected LG chairmen sef.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Kano World Class Economic City..... / Dear President Tinubu, Is This Punishment Not Too Much For Our Sins? (Opinion) / Photos Of Wike And His Wife In Law School (Throwback)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.