Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,666 members, 7,930,299 topics. Date: Saturday, 24 August 2024 at 02:50 PM

Infibulation: The Worst Form Of Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Infibulation: The Worst Form Of Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) (140 Views)

For Women Who Have Undergone female genital mutilation / Female Genital Mutilation (fgm); The Myth And The Scary Realities / Osun, Ekiti Highest In Female Genital Mutilation In Nigeria - Experts Lament (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Infibulation: The Worst Form Of Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) by Deenillah(m): 9:32am On Jul 17
Infibulation, the worst form of female genital mutilation (FGM)

Many people are unaware of the practice known as infibulation. While this lack of awareness is a good sign (at least it indicates that the practice is not widespread), I still feel compelled to shed light on this harmful practice perpetrated against girls.

First, they will cut the girl's clitoris and labia, they will then sew her vulva (the part many people call vagina, where intercourse happens), leaving only a small space for menstruation. As in, the vagina is almost completely sealed, leaving just a tiny hole.

Once they're done, they would tie her legs together to allow the wounds heal. The healing usually takes 20 to 40 days, depending on the girl's body. This means she won't be able to move throughout this time as her legs would be tied up for the entire period of healing.

The stitches are designed to be opened by the husband on the wedding night, subjecting the woman to further trauma. This practice leads to severe health complications, including urinary tract infections, fistulas, and infertility. During childbirth, women who have undergone infibulation often require repeated incisions due to the narrowed vaginal opening.

Currently, infibulation is still practiced in some parts of Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Somalia, and Sudan. The fact that it has also been practiced in North America, Australia, and New Zealand in the past highlights the global nature of this issue.

This morning, I am making this post to raise awareness about infibulation and FGM in total and to condemn it. The pains and the dangers surrounding it is just too much to bear. My name is Àròjinlẹ̀ and I stand against female genital mutilation.

(1) (Reply)

Use Your Spokesmanship To Address Hunger In Nigeria, Ohaneze Replies Onanuga / Ichi Eze Na Ahaba / +27833895606 How Can I Put A Spell On Someone To Love Me In Usa|canada|australi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.