Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,571 members, 7,926,678 topics. Date: Tuesday, 20 August 2024 at 07:33 PM

Where Did Yam Go? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Where Did Yam Go? (18509 Views)

How Much Is A Tuber Of Yam In Your Area ? / Nigerians Don't Know What CRAYFISH Is. Where Did This Wrong Labelling Come From? / Where Did Garri Originate From? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Did Yam Go? by Pastoshizzy(m): 5:49pm On Jul 18
I remember the good times in this country. Days of kobo (coins). Even as a Lagosian there was no time of the year we didn't eat my family's favourite food- Yam.
If my mum buys yam, the amount she cooks and the way it is cooked would give me a foresight if we were going to eat it with fried eggs, fish sauce, butter or (when prayer don answer) pounded yam. The way we were brought up, you aren't meant to ask your mum what she's going to cook... especially if we have a case we are being reprimanded for (a family of four boys, so we get a lot of those).

My wife knows say I no dey mess with my stomach.
Yam…the very food. In the least, Yam and palm oil with salt to taste are happily wedded in an African stomach. I speak for the majority.
We dey chop! But not like before. Things don cost.
But Yam. Where Yam dey abeg?… to cut this torey short. Where are all my 'aboki' yam sellers? I leave work go market and what I saw was an apology for yam’ sake. Warris happening?

Nairalanders. Where I fit get YAM cheap and plenty too. I fit change my career to selling of YAM.

Make una show me front page. For YAM’ sake.

31 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Where Did Yam Go? by Tokskob2008: 6:06pm On Jul 18
Lol..... Yam is pretty available all over but it's the dry ones you will find and the least size starts from 4k. No matter how good your bargaining power is, aboki price will humble you when it comes to yam levels.

63 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Where Did Yam Go? by Efuaye(m): 6:27pm On Jul 18
Yam has yamutu from circulation! When and where you find it in Lagos, be ready to cough out #5,000k
It's unbelievable, the cost of commodities in the market

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Where Did Yam Go? by Standing5(m): 7:13pm On Jul 18
Asides cost of input, the cost of transporting o bag of rice is approx same for 35-40 tubers of yam. Any heavy food item is now very expensive. Watermelon has tripled almost like yam.

1 Like

Re: Where Did Yam Go? by Pastoshizzy(m): 7:19pm On Jul 18
Efuaye:
Yam has yamutu from circulation! When and where you find it in Lagos, be ready to cough out #5,000k
It's unbelievable, the cost of commodities in the market
Even if e no dey Lagos. We for go find am come. But where?
Me I know say this matter dey pain people well well. I speak for the majority.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Did Yam Go? by Pastoshizzy(m): 7:23pm On Jul 18
Tokskob2008:
Lol..... Yam is pretty available all over but it's the dry ones you will find and the least size starts from 4k. No matter how good your bargaining power is, aboki price will humble you when it comes to yam levels.
No vex o. For your Estate gate or for marketplace?

3 Likes

Re: Where Did Yam Go? by Premiumbuy(m): 7:41pm On Jul 18
Pastoshizzy:
I remember the good times in this country. Days of kobo (coins). Even as a Lagosian there was no time of the year we didn't eat my family's favourite food- Yam.
If my mum buys yam, the amount she cooks and the way boils it would give me a foresight if we were going to eat it with fried eggs, fish sauce, butter or (when prayer don answer) pounded yam. The way we were brought up, you aren't meant to ask your mum what she's going to cook... especially if we have a case we are being reprimanded for (a family of four boys, so we get a lot of those).

My wife know say I no dey mess with my stomach.
Yam..the very food. In the least Yam and palm oil with salt to taste are happily wedded in an African stomach. I speak for the majority.
We dey chop! But not like before.
But Yam. Where Yam dey abeg?... to cut this torey short. Where are all my 'aboki' yam sellers?

Premium Be Unto You

If Yam is too expensive, then go for Potato that's a bit cheaper.

7 Likes

Re: Where Did Yam Go? by Tokskob2008: 7:57pm On Jul 18
Pastoshizzy:
No vex o. For your Estate gate or for marketplace?
Boss, yam dey. It's just very expensive that's all!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Did Yam Go? by Mariangeles(f): 8:17pm On Jul 18
Them say make man-pikin dey plant yam for sack if man-pikin wan chop yam. 🤷🏽‍♀️

For this Tinubulation era, everything now na DIY, otherwise OYO!

41 Likes

Re: Where Did Yam Go? by Pastoshizzy(m): 8:44pm On Jul 18
Premiumbuy:

Premium Be Unto You

If Yam is too expensive, then go for Potato that's a bit cheaper.
Potatoes don't compare to Yam.
I detest sweet potato.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Where Did Yam Go? by Pastoshizzy(m): 8:47pm On Jul 18
Tokskob2008:

Boss, yam dey. It's just very expensive that's all!
Actually, what I had in mind was the bush market.. the farm.
Location tinz..u know. wink
Beats me we eat yam all the year round as kids?

1 Like

Re: Where Did Yam Go? by Pastoshizzy(m): 8:49pm On Jul 18
Mariangeles:
Them say make man-pikin dey plant yam for sack if man-pikin wan chop yam. 🤷🏽‍♀️

For this Tinubulation era, everything now na DIY, otherwise OYO!
That is..as in..Yam in bags?..wait o. lipsrsealed
Is that..?

1 Like

Re: Where Did Yam Go? by Premiumbuy(m): 9:04pm On Jul 18
Pastoshizzy:
Potatoes don't compare to Yam. I detest sweet potato.
Premium Be Unto You
Even when it is fried?
Re: Where Did Yam Go? by Mariangeles(f): 9:08pm On Jul 18
Pastoshizzy:
That is..as in..Yam in bags?..wait o. lipsrsealed
Is that..?

You wan chop yam abi you no wan chop yam? undecided

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Did Yam Go? by Pastoshizzy(m): 2:02am On Jul 19
Mariangeles:

You wan chop yam abi you no wan chop yam? undecided
I wan chop.
I no sabi farming o. I for like research as to where to buy cheaper yams.

1 Like

Re: Where Did Yam Go? by Pastoshizzy(m): 2:04am On Jul 19
Premiumbuy:

Premium Be Unto You

Even when it is fried?
Uhmm! Okay.
Re: Where Did Yam Go? by maxiuc(m): 5:22pm On Jul 19
cheesy
Re: Where Did Yam Go? by SensualMan1(m): 5:23pm On Jul 19
Y
Re: Where Did Yam Go? by Racoon(m): 5:23pm On Jul 19
Farmers have been chased away from ariable farmlands by the menace of bandits and BH terrorists. So staple food crops like Yam are no readily available. So sad! Too bad!

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Where Did Yam Go? by Mayor21(m): 5:23pm On Jul 19
Come to Cross River State lemme get good yams for you

3 Likes

Re: Where Did Yam Go? by Anguldi(m): 5:24pm On Jul 19
Goats have eaten it angry

Y'all know the goats 🐐

6 Likes

Re: Where Did Yam Go? by Nackzy: 5:24pm On Jul 19
Tinubus house
Re: Where Did Yam Go? by Sleekfingers: 5:24pm On Jul 19
Wahala for who dey eat yam....
Re: Where Did Yam Go? by prittyboi(m): 5:25pm On Jul 19
All those Mallam that normally hawk yam on the streets sef we don't see them again. Same thing with beans. It is well with is in this country.

4 Likes

Re: Where Did Yam Go? by BobbieZion(m): 5:25pm On Jul 19
Tokskob2008:

Yam levels now dey like Chioma leg......
Re: Where Did Yam Go? by SmartPolician: 5:25pm On Jul 19
I love boiled yam in one plate and palm oil, onions, leaves, oil beans, salt and pepper in another plate. grin

4 Likes

Re: Where Did Yam Go? by EnEnPeecee: 5:26pm On Jul 19
Tinubu house
Re: Where Did Yam Go? by dominique(f): 5:27pm On Jul 19
If you can find someone based in Abuja, Nassarawa or Benue to buy and send them to you. Even with the cost of shipping to your base, it's still better than what is being sold in our southern markets. If you're based in Lagos, enter mile 12 market, the very first gate close to Kosofe bus stop,that's where the yam dealers are. Don't ever make the mistake of buying from the abokis at the roadside, that was the mistake and my mistake used to make till I recently entered the gate. Go right into the gate, you go see yams you go bow. Just that those abokis inside don't sell yams apiece like the ones outside, they sell in stacks of up to 10 yams. Luckily, they're always people waiting around for who to share a stack of yams with.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Where Did Yam Go? by GanagiBitrus: 5:27pm On Jul 19
Re: Where Did Yam Go? by whytediamond(m): 5:27pm On Jul 19
grin
Re: Where Did Yam Go? by Elidrisy20: 5:28pm On Jul 19
Cocoyam don marry am

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Much Is Cooked Egg Sold In Your Area? / How Much Is A Plate Of Food Sold In Your Area / Bad Plantain Chips Rumour: NAFDAC Investigates Melting Rubber Into Oil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.