Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,758 members, 7,927,116 topics. Date: Wednesday, 21 August 2024 at 09:55 AM

Where Did Yam Go? - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Where Did Yam Go? (18520 Views)

How Much Is A Tuber Of Yam In Your Area ? / Nigerians Don't Know What CRAYFISH Is. Where Did This Wrong Labelling Come From? / Where Did Garri Originate From? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Did Yam Go? by whytediamond(m): 5:28pm On Jul 19
Pastoshizzy:
Actually, what I had in mind was the bush market.. the farm.
Location tinz..u know. wink
Beats me we eat yam all the year round as kids?

We still eat yam all year round. Just work and earn more.
Re: Where Did Yam Go? by HellVictorinho6(m): 5:29pm On Jul 19
If the people with the most murny(billions/trillions of naira) in a country can't spend it on political reformation during situations like this

Then it remains an economy thatz not progressive
Re: Where Did Yam Go? by laziz2024: 5:32pm On Jul 19
THE LAST I CHECKED, YAM TRAVELLED TO GHANA.
Re: Where Did Yam Go? by Emeskhalifa(m): 5:33pm On Jul 19
My friend in Ghana said in his country , yam has become gold too, so I asked him why since I already knw they don't have bandits who stop people from going to farm and he said the reason is because the rate at which yam is being exported has grown exponentially.

What about ours? Why is yam scarce and expensive ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Where Did Yam Go? by TechBaron: 5:35pm On Jul 19
Tokskob2008:
Lol..... Yam is pretty available all over but it's the dry ones you will find and the least size starts from 4k. No matter how good your bargaining power is, aboki price will humble you when it comes to yam levels.
I bought 5 for 20k yesterday. Omoh. I wept...

But upon tasting the yam... Omoh. That yam was dope!

Damn.

1 Like

Re: Where Did Yam Go? by Shikena(m): 5:37pm On Jul 19
Re: Where Did Yam Go? by jubrilELsudan: 5:37pm On Jul 19
CHECK INSIDE YA WIFE AND GIRLFRIENDS KUKUNASE

Re: Where Did Yam Go? by PDPdestroyer(m): 5:38pm On Jul 19
Go and plant yam 🍠 and stop ranting here. Lazy youth grin

1 Like

Re: Where Did Yam Go? by Shikena(m): 5:43pm On Jul 19
Imagine grown men unable to solve a basic human problem easily addressed by their forefathers with limited tools and no western education - a brain built on faulty foundation na hunger go reset am grin

PDPdestroyer:
Go and plant yam 🍠 and stop ranting here. Lazy youth grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Did Yam Go? by 99thEnemy(m): 5:47pm On Jul 19
Pastoshizzy:
I remember the good times in this country. Days of kobo (coins). Even as a Lagosian there was no time of the year we didn't eat my family's favourite food- Yam.
If my mum buys yam, the amount she cooks and the way it is cooked would give me a foresight if we were going to eat it with fried eggs, fish sauce, butter or (when prayer don answer) pounded yam. The way we were brought up, you aren't meant to ask your mum what she's going to cook... especially if we have a case we are being reprimanded for (a family of four boys, so we get a lot of those).

My wife knows say I no dey mess with my stomach.
Yam…the very food. In the least, Yam and palm oil with salt to taste are happily wedded in an African stomach. I speak for the majority.
We dey chop! But not like before. Things don cost.
But Yam. Where Yam dey abeg?… to cut this torey short. Where are all my 'aboki' yam sellers? I leave work go market and what I saw was an apology for yam’ sake. Warris happening?

Nairalanders. Where I fit get YAM cheap and plenty too. I fit change my career to selling of YAM.

Make una show me front page. For YAM’ sake.
Come to Benue.
Re: Where Did Yam Go? by dkidd: 5:50pm On Jul 19
Pastoshizzy:
No vex o. For your Estate gate or for marketplace?
Ajah market smallest yam na 4k all those ones for outside estate U no fit buy am make u and aboki no fight so just respect urself go market quietly
Re: Where Did Yam Go? by Shikena(m): 5:53pm On Jul 19
Exponential increase in Japa is one of the obvious contributory factors. Everywhere you go in most western countries today, you see African Stores springing up in different sizes catering to the growing population of African immigrants.

It is more lucrative to export products like Yam than to sell to the local market. Nigerian exporters are unable to ship yams to USA for a long time and most yams come in through Ghana. These exporters buy in bulk from Nigeria, then bag in Ghana for export.

The easiest option for many struggling Nigerians for now is to bury their pride and experiment with yam-in-bags farming method or any other innovative approach for their personal family consumption. Buying at the market may be unaffordable for many for some time to come.

Emeskhalifa:
My friend in Ghana said in his country , yam has become gold too, so I asked him why since I already knw they don't have bandits who stop people from going to farm and he said the reason is because the rate at which yam is being exported has grown exponentially.

What about ours? Why is yam scarce and expensive ?
Re: Where Did Yam Go? by MMWandali: 5:54pm On Jul 19
For Yam's sake
Pastoshizzy
How many tubers of Yam can naija man buy with Nigerian minimum wage?
Re: Where Did Yam Go? by CJStarz: 5:55pm On Jul 19
Pastoshizzy:
I remember the good times in this country. Days of kobo (coins). Even as a Lagosian there was no time of the year we didn't eat my family's favourite food- Yam.
If my mum buys yam, the amount she cooks and the way it is cooked would give me a foresight if we were going to eat it with fried eggs, fish sauce, butter or (when prayer don answer) pounded yam. The way we were brought up, you aren't meant to ask your mum what she's going to cook... especially if we have a case we are being reprimanded for (a family of four boys, so we get a lot of those).

Yam…the very food. In the least, Yam and palm oil with salt to taste are happily wedded in an African stomach. I speak for the majority.
But Yam. Where Yam dey abeg?… to cut this torey short. Where are all my 'aboki' yam sellers? I leave work go market and what I saw was an apology for yam’ sake. Warris happening?

Nairalanders. Where I fit get YAM cheap and plenty too. I fit change my career to selling of YAM.

Very sad situation we've found ourselves in this country.
God will definitely do something for us in Jesus Name.
Re: Where Did Yam Go? by dkidd: 5:55pm On Jul 19
99thEnemy:

Come to Benue.
U are right but transporting it down is the problem.. I heard it's fvckn expensive. But how much is the cost of the average sized yam there?
Re: Where Did Yam Go? by Limassol(m): 5:57pm On Jul 19
whytediamond:

We still eat yam all year round. Just work and earn more.

This very mentality hurts, is misguided and perversely dangerous.

I understand you may be saying this in good faith. But it's a mockery of the millions currently going to bed hungry in this country all because of 40% + inflation rate.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Did Yam Go? by Cutehector(m): 5:58pm On Jul 19
Pastoshizzy:
That is..as in..Yam in bags?..wait o. lipsrsealed
Is that..?
its possible. People are doing it.

1 Like

Re: Where Did Yam Go? by Theoarhics: 5:58pm On Jul 19
You can't buy yam, farri , rice and even plantains again cos of the very surprising prices
Re: Where Did Yam Go? by April4th(m): 6:01pm On Jul 19
Travelled to Benue last week, couldn't find good yam to buy. Farmers are complaining of bandits attacking them and herdsmen ravaging their farmlands. It is well naija

2 Likes

Re: Where Did Yam Go? by Alberttahir: 6:02pm On Jul 19
Starting from August, yam will be very cheap especially in southwestern part of the country.

2 Likes

Re: Where Did Yam Go? by successman100: 6:02pm On Jul 19
Where is StarCom??
Re: Where Did Yam Go? by TemmyT002(m): 6:06pm On Jul 19
If you want want to enjoy like before, you have to do something to get rid of APC.
Re: Where Did Yam Go? by SpaceX: 6:07pm On Jul 19
Elidrisy20:
Cocoyam don marry yam
I wish them a happy married life..

1 Like

Re: Where Did Yam Go? by chiefolododo(m): 6:07pm On Jul 19
Racoon:
Farmers have been chased away from ariable farmlands by the menace of bandits and BH terrorists. So staple food crops like Yam are no readily available. So sad! Too bad!
God bless you my brother
Re: Where Did Yam Go? by BABANGBALI: 6:08pm On Jul 19
I get yams plenty in my barn, I only give them freely to women, without collecting anything from them.

1 Like

Re: Where Did Yam Go? by independence22: 6:09pm On Jul 19
Ask yourself, who do you vote for?
Re: Where Did Yam Go? by maasoap(m): 6:15pm On Jul 19
Pastoshizzy:

You are likely to make a loss, too expensive for the sellers/traders. They didn't run away from trading in it for no reason. But go and try your luck sha
Re: Where Did Yam Go? by nedekid: 6:19pm On Jul 19
Was yam among the food baba promised the youth? I do not think so.
He said clearly cassava, garri, eba, and some times dodooo..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Where Did Yam Go? by maasoap(m): 6:20pm On Jul 19
Racoon:
Farmers have been chased away from ariable farmlands by the menace of bandits and BH terrorists. So staple food crops like Yam are no readily available. So sad! Too bad!

Many of the have been killed and many kidnapped. It was even manageable when it was only terrorists problem but now, those bandits are even worse. And we don't do serious farming in the south
Re: Where Did Yam Go? by Lumig: 6:29pm On Jul 19
Maybe they're exporting it when we're yet to be self-sufficient

1 Like

Re: Where Did Yam Go? by vRendoh(m): 6:54pm On Jul 19
Yam went to where it is being planted

1 Like

Re: Where Did Yam Go? by Tusoft: 6:55pm On Jul 19
Premiumbuy:

Premium Be Unto You

Even when it is fried?

Sweet Potatoes more nutritious to yam may be you just do not like them probably reasons known to you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Much Is Cooked Egg Sold In Your Area? / How Much Is A Plate Of Food Sold In Your Area / Bad Plantain Chips Rumour: NAFDAC Investigates Melting Rubber Into Oil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.