Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,583 members, 7,929,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 24 August 2024 at 04:54 AM

Why I Intervened In National Minimum Wage Negotiations — Tinubu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Intervened In National Minimum Wage Negotiations — Tinubu (17149 Views)

Minimum Wage Negotiations Will Be Tough - Atedo Peterside / Tinubu Has Intervened In Fubara, Wike Rift - PDP Govs Forum Chair, Mohammed / Minimum Wage Negotiations: FEC Can’t Decide For States – Governors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Intervened In National Minimum Wage Negotiations — Tinubu by BeeBeeOoh(m): 10:23pm On Jul 18
President Bola Tinubu on Thursday explained why he had to intervene in the negotiations for the new national minimum wage.

He said he considered the economic challenges faced by many Nigerians and the urgent need to provide relief.

This is outlined in a statement by Ajuri Ngelale, Special Adviser to the President (Media & Publicity).

In a meeting with the leadership of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) at the Presidential Villa in Abuja, the President increased the federal government’s offer on the national minimum wage from N62,000 to N70,000, with an assurance that it will be reviewed after three years, instead of five years.

According to the statement, President Tinubu told the Labour leaders: “I have heard all your presentations. You came here with the intention to secure something on behalf of your members.

It has been tough globally. And if you review my track record, I have never been found wanting in addressing the problems of workers. I belong to the people and to all of you in leadership. Without you, this job is not fulfilling.

“You have challenged the leadership’s thinking, and we have reviewed the position. I have consulted widely, and when the tripartite committee submitted their reports, I reviewed them again and began to think and rethink.

“Last week, I presented the proposal to you because we have a timeline. We have a problem, and we recognize that you have a problem too. We are in the same economy, in the same country. We may have different rooms, different addresses, and different houses, but we are members of one family that must care for each other.

“We must consider the parameters of the situation. Here, I have a speed limit, and I must pay attention to traffic warnings: slippery when wet, curved roads, and be careful to avoid accidents. That is why I called this meeting today.

“We are driving this economy together. Let us agree on a review period of three years. Two years is too short. We affirm three years. We will review it.

“I am moving beyond the tripartite committee. I am pushing forward, considering the review we have done. No one in the federal establishment should earn less than N70,000. So, we will set the benchmark at N70,000.”

President Tinubu explained that renewing the hope of Nigerians involves providing infrastructure that will improve their livelihoods and create an inclusive economy in which everyone can participate and benefit.

He said the government was committed to reducing the cost of transportation with the introduction of Compressed Natural Gas-powered buses, which will be cheaper and more efficient. He also assured the labour unions that buses will be deployed across the country.

The President added that the entitlements of members of the Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities (SSANU) and the Non-Academic Staff Union of Universities and Allied Institutions (NASU) would be considered, urging the Ministries of Finance and Budget & Economic Planning to explore the possibilities of clearing the backlog.

The statement noted that, at the meeting, the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Senator George Akume, thanked the President for his consideration of the issues as the “Father of the Nation” and for scheduling two meetings to resolve the initial impasse.

“Mr. President, at the tripartite meeting, and in the resolutions of the government, Organized Private Sector, and labour unions, we were all united as one family to promote and grow our economy and deepen our democracy, to the benefit of all. That is essentially what we are saying today. We have a listening President,” the Secretary to the Government of the Federation said.

The President of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Comrade Joe Ajaero, and the President of the Trade Union Congress (TUC), Comrade Festus Osifo, thanked the President for hosting two meetings on the review of the national minimum wage.

According to the statement, the two labour leaders acknowledged that, at the last meeting, the President had rescheduled an official trip to attend the second meeting.

The labour leaders also expressed their appreciation to the President, applauding him for his clear commitment to the welfare of Nigerian workers.

https://tribuneonlineng.com/why-i-intervened-in-national-minimum-wage-negotiations-tinubu/

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Intervened In National Minimum Wage Negotiations — Tinubu by MrBrownJay1(m): 10:28pm On Jul 18
not even 100k is enough... and no wonder Nigerians are ready to go to the streets and strike!
as the saying goes: A HUNGRY MAN IS NOT A FREE MAN!

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why I Intervened In National Minimum Wage Negotiations — Tinubu by FreeStuffsNG: 10:39pm On Jul 18

74 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why I Intervened In National Minimum Wage Negotiations — Tinubu by Ngwamankillyou2(m): 10:39pm On Jul 18
Old man feeling funky.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Intervened In National Minimum Wage Negotiations — Tinubu by richie240: 10:40pm On Jul 18
Your states are still finding it difficult to pay 18k.
This 70k is not for everyone biko; stick to ur 18k and let others accept their 70k.
E never reach fight!
cool

https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/labour-suspends-planned-strike-in-abia/%3famp

MrBrownJay1:
not even 100k is enough... and no wonder Nigerians are ready to go to the streets and strike!

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Intervened In National Minimum Wage Negotiations — Tinubu by LordLugard1(m): 10:43pm On Jul 18
Good
Re: Why I Intervened In National Minimum Wage Negotiations — Tinubu by MrBrownJay1(m): 10:51pm On Jul 18
richie240:
Your states are still finding it difficult to pay 18k.
This 70k is not for everyone biko; stick to ur 18k and let others accept their 70k.
E never reach fight!
cool

again...stick to the issue at hand.... the problem here is not about who can pay what, the problem is about WHAT IS THE MINIMUM SALARY NEEDED FOR ANYBODY IN NIGERIA TO SURVIVE
now, whether people can pay it or not is irrelevant here, polithieves are paid handsomely and they never miss a beat to increase their salary, why shouldnt the same be done with common people?!

20 Likes

Re: Why I Intervened In National Minimum Wage Negotiations — Tinubu by MaziObinnaokija: 11:08pm On Jul 18
shocked very Good sir.

Next nah to discuss the EBI NPA WA Syndrome b4 the EBI NPA wa

2 Likes

Re: Why I Intervened In National Minimum Wage Negotiations — Tinubu by Parable007: 11:14pm On Jul 18
To be truthful this man and all the legislators are scared of the Protest.
Why all of a sudden you accept to increase Minimum wage and legislators slashed their salaries by half?
I don't know the organizers of this protest but I think the govt is scared of you... They are hiding so much.
If Tinubu use the money he'll use to increase minimum wage to bring back fuel subsidy. It will have more impact than this audio minimum wage that governors won't pay

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Intervened In National Minimum Wage Negotiations — Tinubu by Philipponzaghi: 11:25pm On Jul 18
Chai! Tinubu don dey carry matter for head o! Na only him fit intervene like this. This na sharp move, e mean say him sabi the wahala wey workers dey face. Abeg, make dem pay workers well, na dis country we dey!

70 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Intervened In National Minimum Wage Negotiations — Tinubu by richie240: 11:46pm On Jul 18
We've heard all these b4 nwokem.
So what are u going to do about it??
cool
MrBrownJay1:

again...stick to the issue at hand.... the problem here is not about who can pay what, the problem is about WHAT IS THE MINIMUM SALARY NEEDED FOR ANYBODY IN NIGERIA TO SURVIVE
now, whether people can pay it or not is irrelevant here, polithieves are paid handsomely and they never miss a beat to increase their salary, why shouldnt the same be done with common people?!

7 Likes

Re: Why I Intervened In National Minimum Wage Negotiations — Tinubu by CyrusVI(m): 11:57pm On Jul 18
MrBrownJay1:

That guy is actually being realistic

To Abians, this 70k only exists in Jupiter as they dont even know what it feels like to have their salary structured on the 30k minimum wage

Of what use is the phantom 100k to them if they'll never get to receive it

I'm a realist and that's how to live life

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Intervened In National Minimum Wage Negotiations — Tinubu by CyrusVI(m): 11:58pm On Jul 18
PBAT is trying his best to steady things

Not even 500k would make naysayers praise u

Keep pushing, we'll get there

18 Likes

Re: Why I Intervened In National Minimum Wage Negotiations — Tinubu by MrBrownJay1(m): 12:14am On Jul 19
CyrusVI:
That guy is actually being realistic
To Abians, this 70k only exists in Jupiter as they haven't even know what if feels like to have their salary structured on the 30k minimum wage
Of what use is the phantom 100k to them if they'll never get to receive it
I'm a realist and that to live life

here is the question again (since you missed it the 1st time around): WHAT IS THE MINIMUM SALARY NEEDED FOR ANYBODY IN NIGERIA TO SURVIVE?

6 Likes

Re: Why I Intervened In National Minimum Wage Negotiations — Tinubu by WonderManly(m): 2:35am On Jul 19
Continue jare
Re: Why I Intervened In National Minimum Wage Negotiations — Tinubu by Bhella5(m): 2:37am On Jul 19
What I sha know is that any Chinaza seen on the streets of SW doing NZOGBU NZOGBU will be shot at sight. Once beaten...

8 Likes

Re: Why I Intervened In National Minimum Wage Negotiations — Tinubu by MrOreo(m): 2:50am On Jul 19
Lamba undecided! Make I never talk...

1 Like

Re: Why I Intervened In National Minimum Wage Negotiations — Tinubu by BABANGBALI: 3:04am On Jul 19
Mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew

2 Likes

Re: Why I Intervened In National Minimum Wage Negotiations — Tinubu by ezenna191(m): 3:04am On Jul 19
This is mere consolation

2 Likes

Re: Why I Intervened In National Minimum Wage Negotiations — Tinubu by ceejay80s(m): 3:05am On Jul 19
Parable007:
To be truthful this man and all the legislators are scared of the Protest.
Why all of a sudden you accept to increase Minimum wage and legislators slashed their salaries by half?
I don't know the organizers of this protest but I think the govt is scared of you... They are hiding so much.
If Tinubu use the money he'll use to increase minimum wage to bring back fuel subsidy. It will have more impact than this audio minimum wage that governors won't pay
They slashed their salaries on the dailies news paper, when they are paid , go and see the alert ,
U dey trust Nigerians politicians?
I wish tinubu is seeing my message,
75k isn't enough and we don't need labour for strike,
Kenyans too have their on labour party but they fought for them selves,
Any evil bad government must be eliminated

10 Likes

Re: Why I Intervened In National Minimum Wage Negotiations — Tinubu by alt3r3g0: 3:06am On Jul 19
Kangaroo commitee must vomit the 1billion naira. So many cosmetic commitees to settle cronies.

5 Likes

Re: Why I Intervened In National Minimum Wage Negotiations — Tinubu by viodemus: 3:13am On Jul 19
Abeg wetin the failure talk?

3 Likes

Re: Why I Intervened In National Minimum Wage Negotiations — Tinubu by Slurity(m): 3:15am On Jul 19
MrBrownJay1:
YES WE KNOW THAT EVEN 200K IS NOT ENOUGH IN THIS ECONOMY, BUT SENSE NEED TO TEACH US THAT, WE CAN ONLY TAKE FROM WHAT WE HAVE AND CAN ACCESS IN REALITY. 70K IS NOT TOO BAD WITH HOPE OF REVIEW EVERY 3 YEARS. YOU CAN STILL GO AHEAD AND STRIKE TO ACHIEVE THE AGENDA YOU ARE NOT TELLING US.

10 Likes

Re: Why I Intervened In National Minimum Wage Negotiations — Tinubu by Omoawoke: 3:16am On Jul 19
MrBrownJay1:

here is the question again (since you missed it the 1st time around): WHAT IS THE MINIMUM SALARY NEEDED FOR ANYBODY IN NIGERIA TO SURVIVE?

Can you answer the question as well?

Your Abia state is struggling to pay 18k minimum wage, so what does 70k even mean to them? Only on paper does it exist

9 Likes

Re: Why I Intervened In National Minimum Wage Negotiations — Tinubu by alezzy13: 3:21am On Jul 19
Make Una calm down. Yes I was personally hoping for at least 90-100k, but here we are.

It's not perfect but it's a start.

However beyond the announcement is the ability of states and in particular the private sector to pay.

Honestly if all states are able to pay this 70k minimum, then I go give them hand. Till then it's cautious watching

7 Likes

Re: Why I Intervened In National Minimum Wage Negotiations — Tinubu by kennyz247(m): 3:29am On Jul 19
On this u try small sha,but e still small for this current hardship u purposefully put Nigeria into.. because that money can only afford one bag of dry cassava (olubo).. with small change not even enough to prepare d poorest soup for one week...

2 Likes

Re: Why I Intervened In National Minimum Wage Negotiations — Tinubu by Okoroawusa: 3:31am On Jul 19
I Love Bola Ahmed Tinubu

4 Likes

Re: Why I Intervened In National Minimum Wage Negotiations — Tinubu by kennyz247(m): 3:34am On Jul 19
Okoroawusa:
I Love Bola Ahmed Tinubu

Nigeria problem spotted

5 Likes

Re: Why I Intervened In National Minimum Wage Negotiations — Tinubu by Benwallt(m): 3:37am On Jul 19
MrBrownJay1:

Leave internet, go to the street and strike. Coward

3 Likes

Re: Why I Intervened In National Minimum Wage Negotiations — Tinubu by HypocriticalObi: 3:39am On Jul 19
Ok
Re: Why I Intervened In National Minimum Wage Negotiations — Tinubu by Honestey: 3:42am On Jul 19
After over a year of groaning by workers baba decided to intervened. If not he considered economic hardship that started just yesterday he would have waited another years to offer less than money for a bag of rice.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari Declines Assent To Corporate Manslaughter Bill, 3 Others / $19 Billion Soft Loan: Buhari Leads PAGGW In Negotiations / Security Agencies Advised Us To Ban smartphones - Tribunal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.