Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,217 members, 7,934,001 topics. Date: Wednesday, 28 August 2024 at 03:59 PM

Prices Of Beans, Tomato, Yam, Potato Rise By Over 250% In One Year - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Prices Of Beans, Tomato, Yam, Potato Rise By Over 250% In One Year (10986 Views)

Tinubunomics Bite Harder As Prices Of Beans, Tomato, Garri Rise By Over 30% / Subsidy Removal: Spending On Petrol May Jump 250% To ₦‎8 Trillion / Senator T.A Orji To Distribute 300 Bags Of Beans, 1240 Cartons Of Noddles (Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prices Of Beans, Tomato, Yam, Potato Rise By Over 250% In One Year by treesun: 11:44am On Jul 23
The prices of major staple foods in Nigeria such as beans, yam, potato, plantain and tomato have risen by over 250% in the last one year.

This is according to the latest Food Price Watch from the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) which states that the price of beans soared by 252% between June 2023 and June 2024.

The report indicates that the average price of 1kg of brown beans (sold loose) stood at N2,292.76, representing a 252.13% increase year-on-year from N651.12 in June 2023 and a 14.11% increase month-on-month from N2,009.23 in May 2024.

Tomatoes (1kg) also saw significant price increases, rising by 320.67% year-on-year from N547.28 in June 2023 to N2,302.26 in June 2024. On a month-on-month basis, the average price of tomatoes increased by 55.59% from N1,479.69 in May 2024.

Additionally, the price of Irish potatoes rose by 288.50% year-on-year from N623.75 in June 2023 to N2,423.27 in June 2024, and by 51.92% month-on-month from N1,595.07 in May 2024.

Furthermore, the average price of 1kg of yam tuber increased by 295.79% year-on-year, from N510.77 in June 2023 to N2,021.55 in June 2024.

On a month-on-month basis, the price rose by 52.87%, from N1,322.36 in May 2024 to N2,021.55 in June 2024.

Staple food prices with over 100% year-on-year increase

Other staple foods also experienced significant price increases over the past year. For instance, the average price of 1kg of loose white garri rose by 181.66% year-on-year, from N403.15 in June 2023 to N1,135.51 in June 2024. Additionally, there was a 1.86% increase on a month-on-month basis.

Also, the average price of local rice sold loose rose by 179.97% from N608.20 in June 2023 to N1,702.24 in June 2024. Nigerians on average paid double the price for wheat from June 2023 to June 2024 as the price rose from N1,380.45 per Kg to N3,157.75 indicating an increase of 128.75% during the 12-month period.

Food price increase across zones
Among food items with over a 250% year-on-year increase, the South-West recorded the highest prices. For example, the analysis by zone showed that the average price of brown beans (sold loose) was highest in the North-Central at N2,923.45, followed by the South-South at N2,630.03, while the North-West recorded the lowest average price at N1,647.03.

The average price of 1kg of tomatoes was highest in the South-West and the South-East at N3,261.84 and N2,852.59, respectively, with the lowest recorded in the North-West at N1,411.16. The South-West recorded the highest average price of 1kg of yam tuber at N2,745.80, followed by the North-Central at N2,440.35, while the lowest was recorded in the North-West at N1,238.49.

Additionally, the South-West and the North-East recorded the highest average price of 1kg of loose white garri at N1,199.62 and N1,155.63, respectively, while the lowest was recorded in the North-Central at N1,055.87.

https://nairametrics.com/2024/07/23/prices-of-beans-tomato-yam-potato-rise-by-over-250-in-one-year/

2 Likes

Re: Prices Of Beans, Tomato, Yam, Potato Rise By Over 250% In One Year by vnylrecs: 11:52am On Jul 23
AqualinaXYZ:
Tinubu is the most useless human being ever existed
people are dangerously angry

75 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Prices Of Beans, Tomato, Yam, Potato Rise By Over 250% In One Year by AqualinaXYZ: 11:58am On Jul 23
vnylrecs:

people are dangerously angry

Anger is even better than hunger

Make bread winner no come dey see bread again

93 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Prices Of Beans, Tomato, Yam, Potato Rise By Over 250% In One Year by helinues: 11:59am On Jul 23
Toh

3 Likes

Re: Prices Of Beans, Tomato, Yam, Potato Rise By Over 250% In One Year by Depriest2020: 12:23pm On Jul 23
Apart from Gbagi/Gwari and some hausas of northern Nigeria with Fulani cattle rearers, the rest Nigerians don't believe in farming activities, they all believe that if they make money then they can buy whatever food they need. Am not sure we have up to 5 million farmers in Nigeria, while we outh to have at least 50 million large scale farmers and not a mare 5 million peasant farmers.

17 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Prices Of Beans, Tomato, Yam, Potato Rise By Over 250% In One Year by Racoon(m): 12:26pm On Jul 23
Tinubu’s tinubulation and tribulation being distributed wotoporously. People were warned of this plague and catastrophic cataclysm but parochial politics and ethno-religio-regional supremacist agenda beclouded the sense of sound judgement in many gullible souls.

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Prices Of Beans, Tomato, Yam, Potato Rise By Over 250% In One Year by MasterJayJay: 12:28pm On Jul 23
Tinubulation
Inflation
Lamentation
In our nation....

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Prices Of Beans, Tomato, Yam, Potato Rise By Over 250% In One Year by Michael547(m): 12:29pm On Jul 23
Na wa
Re: Prices Of Beans, Tomato, Yam, Potato Rise By Over 250% In One Year by magoo10(m): 12:30pm On Jul 23
Abomination!
Sophisticated failure

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Prices Of Beans, Tomato, Yam, Potato Rise By Over 250% In One Year by OgaTheTop2: 12:30pm On Jul 23
Ebin' Pawa oo!

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Prices Of Beans, Tomato, Yam, Potato Rise By Over 250% In One Year by VTJN(m): 12:30pm On Jul 23
The protest will be massive

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Prices Of Beans, Tomato, Yam, Potato Rise By Over 250% In One Year by FIRDAUS3(m): 12:30pm On Jul 23
God no go shame us
Re: Prices Of Beans, Tomato, Yam, Potato Rise By Over 250% In One Year by CyrusVI(m): 12:31pm On Jul 23
shocked shocked

This is the peak of hardship and it can never get worse than this

From here on, the inflation can only decrease.

Going by KPMG recent analysis, its more promising to see the inflation rate fall to 29% before December than it threatens to rise above 37% within the same period

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Prices Of Beans, Tomato, Yam, Potato Rise By Over 250% In One Year by gidgiddy: 12:31pm On Jul 23
It's Peter Obi's fault!

7 Likes

Re: Prices Of Beans, Tomato, Yam, Potato Rise By Over 250% In One Year by Kaiseer(m): 12:31pm On Jul 23
Funny enough the government is doing nothing about this rise of foodstuff. Family man don dey suffer nowadays o
Meanwhile at a cheap price dm me for your logo and flyer design

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prices Of Beans, Tomato, Yam, Potato Rise By Over 250% In One Year by 004gist: 12:31pm On Jul 23
As for beans and other foodstuff I believe they are exported massively outside the country up north through land border.

Secondly Boko garam and heardsmen factor also scare farmers

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prices Of Beans, Tomato, Yam, Potato Rise By Over 250% In One Year by sylve11: 12:31pm On Jul 23
Depriest2020:
Apart from Gbagi/Gwari and some hausas of northern Nigeria with Fulani cattle rearers, the rest Nigerians don't believe in farming activities, they all believe that if they make money then they can buy whatever food they need. Am not sure we have up to 5 million farmers in Nigeria, while we outh to have at least 50 million large scale farmers and not a mare 5 million peasant farmers.

Are you a farmer? undecided cool

26 Likes

Re: Prices Of Beans, Tomato, Yam, Potato Rise By Over 250% In One Year by Hollyharjii: 12:31pm On Jul 23
k
Re: Prices Of Beans, Tomato, Yam, Potato Rise By Over 250% In One Year by mrvitalis(m): 12:31pm On Jul 23
Obi was shouting invest in the people I honestly blame him sha this people are too dumb to understand

APC when they hear invest in the people they think it's giving palliatives or giving people money... That's far from it

Why are foods expensive ... Outside the general inflation there are specific reasons why some are more inflated than others

1) Beans - a large percentage of beans we eat in Nigeria comes from Niger Republic, a very large chunk.. I estimate about 65% ... President Tinubu handling of the Niger crisis forced niger to close it's border with Nigeria.. Now must beans are smuggled to nigeria through Chad, or Cameron increasing the price significantly and our weakened currency especially with respect to CFA is another issue

2) tomatoes - most tomatoes farms in nigeria is affected by what's called Tuta absoluta (tomatoes Ebola) this is not the first time it is happening and won't be the last

Funny thing is there are tomatoes resistant to this issue... A wise government would fund ITTA Ibadan to develop this resistant breeds and distribute it to our farmers...

The tomatoes we have now mostly come from Cameroon and our weakened currency makes it worse

3) yam- the issue of yam is mainly insecurity .. Majority of yam cultivation belts is where u have Fulani herdsmen issues... From Niger to nassarawa to Abuja to Benue to plateau..

Solutions to this is simple get the farmers to form corporatives of 50 farms or 500 hectarss

Tell them to nominate 5 people to be trained by the police and armed to defend their farms

I can go on and on about the rest... But one thing is sure Tinubu n his administration don't know jack about food security

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Prices Of Beans, Tomato, Yam, Potato Rise By Over 250% In One Year by Confirm4real(m): 12:32pm On Jul 23
🙆

Yet they're threatening people from protesting...

13 Likes

Re: Prices Of Beans, Tomato, Yam, Potato Rise By Over 250% In One Year by MaziObinnaokija: 12:32pm On Jul 23
sad news like this giv depression .We believe GOD will make everything new. It won't be long.Mske we give EMILOKAN this December

1 Like

Re: Prices Of Beans, Tomato, Yam, Potato Rise By Over 250% In One Year by anonimi: 12:32pm On Jul 23
treesun:

https://nairametrics.com/2024/07/23/prices-of-beans-tomato-yam-potato-rise-by-over-250-in-one-year/

Soyinka and other Yorubalokan tribesmen loyalists are still waiting for the appropriate time to make noise like they did when Jonathan was president and things were far better than what ThiefNuibu brought on us nine years ago.

Goodday90:

Nobel laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka has said he intends to keep quiet for now about the performance of the Bola Tinubu’s administration.

Soyinka said this while responding to questions in an interview session by a team from The NEWS magazine in commemoration of his 90th birthday.

The team had asked Soyinka when he would fulfil the promise he made about speaking on the performance of President Tinubu after after the administration marked one year in office.

The literary giant made the promise during his visit to Tinubu in Lagos late last year.

However, the Nobel laureate told the team from TheNews magazine that he knew that there are many people waiting for him to speak about the Tinubu’s administration just for the sake of jumping at his throat, but he will disappoint them by keeping quiet for now.

Soyinka said, “First of all, understand that I don’t live on an alarm clock. And I hope nobody is so naive as to think that on the dot of one year I am going to speak. That’s number one.

“Number two, you asked that question nicely: Do I have anything to say and so on, which is the way it should be. I know that there are some people out there, who are waiting for Wole Soyinka to speak. Whatever he says, they are going to jump at him.

“If you read my Baiting Igbophobia, I narrate a conversation, which was transmitted to me, in which these people sent one of their marching orders to somebody that he should go and deal with me. The man said you know I don’t understand what Soyinka says.

“They told him, Who says you should understand? Any time he opens his mouth, jump in his throat. That’s the way they put it. I’m quoting them. And my response to that, of course, is that I have swallowed more toxic nonsense in my life, anybody who jumps in my throat I would swallow and excrete it in the rear end, and go back to my business normally!

So, they are there, salivating, waiting for Wole Soyinka to speak. After cutting my American Green Card, I did not announce it for several months, the same way I intend to keep quiet for now and not make any public statement. As far as I am concerned, they can go and commit suicide, wherever they are, or come and jump in my throat as they have been directed. I know those who are waiting. I want to disappoint them.”

https://pmnewsnigeria.com/2024/07/22/soyinka-i-intend-to-keep-quiet-about-tinubus-administration-for-now/

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Prices Of Beans, Tomato, Yam, Potato Rise By Over 250% In One Year by MasterJayJay: 12:32pm On Jul 23
Depriest2020:
USA have around 2 million farms in 2017.

What are you doing with 50 million large scale farmers? Do you have a population of trillions?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prices Of Beans, Tomato, Yam, Potato Rise By Over 250% In One Year by Oshin56(m): 12:33pm On Jul 23
Depriest2020:
have you travel to Benue state before, to see how they are farming. Insecurity is what is causing all this food scarcities.

14 Likes

Re: Prices Of Beans, Tomato, Yam, Potato Rise By Over 250% In One Year by callmevirus(m): 12:33pm On Jul 23
helinues:
Toh

Say something
Stop all this Toh Toh are you exhaust pipe?

13 Likes

Re: Prices Of Beans, Tomato, Yam, Potato Rise By Over 250% In One Year by hurryup123(m): 12:33pm On Jul 23

Re: Prices Of Beans, Tomato, Yam, Potato Rise By Over 250% In One Year by Macphenson: 12:33pm On Jul 23
Another achievement of Bola Ahmed Tinubu. I never knew that as calamitous and incompetent as thr Buhari administration was, he was going to be better than anyy president not to talk of Tinubu.

The Nigerian people are going through a lot in this hapless situation, but unfortunately the main concern of the administration is Peter Obi.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prices Of Beans, Tomato, Yam, Potato Rise By Over 250% In One Year by CyrusVI(m): 12:33pm On Jul 23
AqualinaXYZ:

Anger is even better than hunger

Make bread winner no come dey see bread again
Keep Pushing bro. You will get there

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ladipo Traders On Rampage / 51 Senators Absent As 57 Senators Elect Saraki As President / Why Nnamdi Kanu's Biafra Project Must Be Stopped (PUNCHNEWS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.