Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,637 members, 7,972,370 topics. Date: Friday, 11 October 2024 at 09:58 AM

In Ghana, Court Bars Economic Hardship Protest - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / In Ghana, Court Bars Economic Hardship Protest (18586 Views)

Kwabena Ohemeng Tinyaase Nabbed For Breaking Traffic Rules In Ghana / Melania Trump Arrives In Ghana, To Visit Other Countries / Protest In Ghana Against US Military Is Massive (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

In Ghana, Court Bars Economic Hardship Protest by efighter: 6:39pm On Jul 31
A high court in Ghana has barred groups from holding protests in the capital Accra as youth-led demonstrations in other African countries become commonplace.

The 7-day protest dubbed β€˜The Gen-Z demo’ is billed for July 31 to August 6 at the Black Star Square.

Protest organisers said two million people would march to demand more action from President Nana Akufo-Addo on corruption and living conditions. They will also rail against delays in signing an anti-LGBTQ bill into law.

Court documents seen by ModernGhana News said the police have warned that the planned demonstration could compromise public order.

In a ruling on Tuesday, Abena Serwaa, high court judge, approved police request to ban a handful of organisations from carrying out protests.

The planned protests come amid election campaigns in Ghana.

They also arrive on the heels of a wave of demonstrations across Africa in recent weeks.

In Kenya, young people engaged in six weeks of demonstrations over an unpopular bill that sought to raise taxes.

The protests, which soon turned violent, saw at least 50 killed and dozens abducted.

President William Ruto retracted the bill and announced a shake-up of his cabinet following pressure from demonstrators who remained on the streets despite appeals.

Last week, Ugandan youths took to the streets to protest alleged corruption, while demanding the resignation of the speaker of parliament.

SOURCE: https://www.thecable.ng/court-bars-economic-hardship-protest-in-ghana/

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In Ghana, Court Bars Economic Hardship Protest by helinues: 6:45pm On Jul 31
Logical thing

There next election is just December. Let them use their votes to make the difference in the next election

60 Likes 6 Shares

Re: In Ghana, Court Bars Economic Hardship Protest by 2aces(m): 6:50pm On Jul 31
Africa is waking up, and all our oppressors and their puppet presidents will dance.

83 Likes 8 Shares

Re: In Ghana, Court Bars Economic Hardship Protest by Racoon(m): 7:11pm On Jul 31
Hehehe! An awakening is dawning in Africa

73 Likes 9 Shares

Re: In Ghana, Court Bars Economic Hardship Protest by Racoon(m): 7:15pm On Jul 31
Another Arab spring protest of old will sweep through Africa.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In Ghana, Court Bars Economic Hardship Protest by Goodvibes007: 7:16pm On Jul 31
Oh well.

1 Like

Re: In Ghana, Court Bars Economic Hardship Protest by Jokerman(m): 7:22pm On Jul 31
When your time is up, no matter how you suppress the voice of citizens, you will lose in the end...

67 Likes 9 Shares

Re: In Ghana, Court Bars Economic Hardship Protest by Kushites: 7:23pm On Jul 31
Nana Akuffo Ado is shitting his pants right now.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: In Ghana, Court Bars Economic Hardship Protest by GreenxGreen: 7:37pm On Jul 31
NIGERIA. is NOT GHANA ..............

Although Nigeria and Ghana both have sleeping President 🀣🀣🀣🀣

NIGERIA :::: Economy Sleeping

Ghana :::: Economy Sleeping

Nana ........ Sleeping πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ˜΄πŸ˜΄πŸ˜΄

Tinubu ....... Sleeping πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ˜΄πŸ˜΄πŸ˜΄

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In Ghana, Court Bars Economic Hardship Protest by franchasng: 7:38pm On Jul 31
lol

1 Like

Re: In Ghana, Court Bars Economic Hardship Protest by PheelzAlmighty: 8:10pm On Jul 31
Clowns in government... Idiocy is definitely not a Nigerian narrative grin

3 Likes

Re: In Ghana, Court Bars Economic Hardship Protest by Lovenorth: 8:11pm On Jul 31
Ghana is learning from Nigeria, they should ignore the useless court order and exercise their right. The African leaders must be taught a bitter lesson

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In Ghana, Court Bars Economic Hardship Protest by o123456789(m): 8:11pm On Jul 31
hmm
Re: In Ghana, Court Bars Economic Hardship Protest by emmafineboy(m): 8:11pm On Jul 31
Africans are so useless, I'll need to ask God to show me the angel that choose Nigeria as country of birth.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Ghana, Court Bars Economic Hardship Protest by Ashirioluwa: 8:11pm On Jul 31
Ok, but this is Nigeria.
Re: In Ghana, Court Bars Economic Hardship Protest by princepee: 8:12pm On Jul 31
coolso much about this planed protest.
Naija government is very scared about the protest.
A lot of Hasty decision and talk..
Am sure they know they have failed..

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In Ghana, Court Bars Economic Hardship Protest by princepee: 8:12pm On Jul 31
cool tongue
cool tongue lipsrsealed
Re: In Ghana, Court Bars Economic Hardship Protest by Fasindo: 8:12pm On Jul 31
shocked

Ghana already started their protest today.

The judge is taking a risk, a very big risk.
Hope he knows that when the protest become bloody due to police involvement in trying to enforce the court order, him and his family will be a major target by the masses.

My own is that I have already ironed my shirt, polish my shoes and cleaned my jeans for tomorrow Eagle square protest venue.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In Ghana, Court Bars Economic Hardship Protest by Sonnobax15(m): 8:12pm On Jul 31
grin

1 Like

Re: In Ghana, Court Bars Economic Hardship Protest by Chukwudi4naija(m): 8:12pm On Jul 31
helinues:
Logical thing

There next election is just December. Let them use their votes to make the difference in the next election
Election in Africa? You must be joking

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Ghana, Court Bars Economic Hardship Protest by ganilas007: 8:13pm On Jul 31
Nigeria is complex. We have so many bad people working against the growth of this country including politicians, stakeholders and the citizens.

Nigeria will prevail.

God bless Nigeria πŸ‡³πŸ‡¬

6 Likes

Re: In Ghana, Court Bars Economic Hardship Protest by Menclothing1: 8:13pm On Jul 31
Who said Africa is waking up lolz what has happen to all the country military took over

4 Likes

Re: In Ghana, Court Bars Economic Hardship Protest by INTEGRITYA1(m): 8:13pm On Jul 31
Oh Africa, it should not be something that is unattainable to handle our situations and solve our problems.
Re: In Ghana, Court Bars Economic Hardship Protest by mmadu4: 8:13pm On Jul 31
foolish news people are hungry

1 Like

Re: In Ghana, Court Bars Economic Hardship Protest by ganilas007: 8:13pm On Jul 31
emmafineboy:
Africans are so useless, I'll need to ask God to show me the angel that choose Nigeria as country of birth.

It non of any Angel business. Just blame your mum and dad generation for not allowing the slave masters to have taken them away then maybe you will have been mayor of Newyork by now.

2 Likes

Re: In Ghana, Court Bars Economic Hardship Protest by ruggedboy01: 8:13pm On Jul 31
Ghana no be Nigeria 😑😑😑

You people claim to be giant of African

You claimed you supply Ghana power and gas

I was told you chase Ghana many years ago hence Ghana must bag I grew up to know

Why copying people you claim to be superior now

Bunch of fools

6 Likes

Re: In Ghana, Court Bars Economic Hardship Protest by bigdammyj: 8:13pm On Jul 31
Noted.
Re: In Ghana, Court Bars Economic Hardship Protest by AmiableMosquito: 8:14pm On Jul 31
helinues:
Logical thing

Simple!

1 Like

Re: In Ghana, Court Bars Economic Hardship Protest by ruffhandu: 8:14pm On Jul 31
Some people won't like this. Funny enough, it was two days ago i discovered that Ghana electoral process is light years ahead of Nigeria's. I tire for Nigeria

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Ghana, Court Bars Economic Hardship Protest by rummmy: 8:15pm On Jul 31
helinues:
Logical thing

see them......

3 Likes

Re: In Ghana, Court Bars Economic Hardship Protest by bassdow: 8:16pm On Jul 31
Court no fit do much should the people get Serious

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Hungarian Shell Company Behind Pagers Used By Israel In Lebanon Terror Attack / Sahle-work Zewde Sworn In As First Female Ethiopia President / Do You Support The Coming American War Against The Syria Assad Regime

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.