Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,134 members, 7,887,279 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 05:44 AM

Igbo Leadership Succession Talk Premature – Gov Obi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo Leadership Succession Talk Premature – Gov Obi (472 Views)

Nwabueze Calls For New Igbo Leadership / Gov. Obi Launches N300m Road Project In Onitsha. / Igbo Leadership Leads To The End Of Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Igbo Leadership Succession Talk Premature – Gov Obi by Relax101(m): 9:21am On Dec 04, 2011
BY JUDITH UFFORD

Governor Peter Obi of Anambra State insists that the unity of Igbo is more important at a time like this, much more than succession.

When the news of the death of Ikemba Nnewi, Dim Odumegwu-Ojukwu after a long-drawn illness in a London hospital hit the air waves, the first person that came to my mind was Governor Peter Obi of Anambra State. And the reason for this is obvious. Governor Obi had been with Ojukwu since his ill health began and should be in the know of some very private thoughts of the late elder statesman.

So off I went to Awka. When I arrived, I was told the Governor was just returning from London for Awka where he was to hand over some hospital equipment to mission hospitals. Well, I’m blessed. So I thought until the governor announced he was on his way to Abuja to formally informed President Goodluck Jonathan of Ojukwu’s passage.

This didn’t not deter me. I followed his entourage to the Akanu Ibiam International Airport Enugu. An unwilling Governor Obi said now was not the time to talk but I was determined he must say something. His reason for declining an interview is not far fetched; he is in the centre of activities preceding the erstwhile Igbo leader’s burial. For ten minutes Governor Obi shared what could pass for the last moments with Ojukwu.

Excerpts:

The Ikemba Nnewi,

Emeka Odumegwu-

Ojukwu has finally passed on. What were your immediate thoughts at the news of his death?

I would say everybody feels sad. But for those who were very close to him the feeling is even more. I am one of those who was very close to him, but we have to push on. I could not but think of his eventful life; our close association; his brave battle with ill health; and how our society would look without him. Sure, a number of things quickly ran through my mind. The truth is that there is no easy way to say goodbye. When I saw him on Friday, there was nothing to suggest that he would die on Saturday. So, I was shocked when I got an SMS that he had passed on when I just left him hours before. I was on my way to Awka when I received the SMS. I immediately got on the next available plane back to London. Even if he had died a year from now, it would still have been difficult to say goodbye. So like I said, he’s gone and we have to move on. We pray God grants him eternal rest. We will give him a befitting burial and emulate those qualities like courage and love he had.

You talked about some of the privileged information he shared about those that gave him support morally. Can you share them?.

What I said is that I had the opportunity of talking to him about certain areas, certain things in Igbo land he was always fond of. Ojukwu was always concerned with how to improve the fortunes of our people and that of the country. In Igbo land for instance, he was particular about certain areas and towns. He was very particular about Aba. He felt Aba was strategic to Igboland and so was concerned about its development. But we don’t have to go into all that now.

You are a key voice in the Igbo political circle. Following the Ikemba’s demise, attention is now shifting to his successor. What are the options before Ndigbo?

Talks of succession for now are premature. The core issue now is how to organise a befitting burial for Dim Emeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu. To indulge now in the kind of speculation you are alluding to is for me disrespectful of our fallen hero. We will like to use this major milestone in Igboland to reunite our people. In grief, new meanings can arise, new imperatives, new dreams, new hope and a deepened sense of unity and common destiny. I want to use this occasion to urge everybody that we should love each other more. To do him the best honour is to emulate the depth, scope and strength of his vision. We should also emulate his sheer courage. This is a time for everybody to come together.

You talked about wonderful and befitting burial. Did Ikemba leave any instruction about his burial?

At this point in time, I have no such information. But like I said, we have not fixed the burial date.

What will the Igbo miss most about the late Ikemba Nnewi?

His wisdom and courage; the confidence that flowed from his leadership. And it is not just the Igbo who are affected by his exit. Ojukwu was a national leader. His strong voice on national issues will be missed.

Putting you in the second term was one of his last wish to you. How do you feel?

Well, to me, it’s been a great challenge. I see that as an appreciation of our efforts in governance and invitation to do more. By God’s grace, we will get there. But we should discuss all that after the burial.

Where would he be buried?

Of course, in Igboland.

Are you discussing the associated issues with your colleagues, like other South-East governors?

We will all come together at his village. As you know, it is not a burial of just any person. He was an outstanding figure in Igboland and an important national leader. All of us, both politicians, governors and all stakeholders will be there.

Are you canvassing a national burial?

The Igbo nation is naturally taking the initiative. As they say, charity begins at home. We have a duty towards our son. But in giving honour to whom it is due, we are not restricting participation. It is open to all Nigerians, institutions and governments.

What were your thoughts about our health institutions as you took Ojukwu abroad for treatment?

That was a challenge. We started from going to Europe, Egypt and South Africa. When you get there, one observe that the hospitals are not run by government. It was this that got me thinking: Why don’t we do what these countries are doing back home. We can do the same, I thought. We have taken up the challenge. The process of upgrading our healthcare system has started. We will continue to improve the standards until they attain acceptable global standards.

Did this inform the key innovations in the education and health sector you are spear-heading in your state?

Yes. What we are trying to do in Anambra State is to take no decision off the cuff. I had said in the past that at the time we came into office, Anambra was on the verge of becoming a failed state but people would unfortunately try to politicise this simple truth. There are critical indices of development to look at and these critical institutions like education has collapsed. And you ask yourself, why would the education sector collapse? We drove the missionaries out without a replacement model, that was the beginning of the collapse.

In the area of healthcare, we used to give them (missions) support and suggestions. Later, we abandoned them and the institutions collapsed. For example, Iyienu Hospital produced the first and best mid-wife in Nigeria. By the time we came into power, that school was closed down and then you wonder why such a good school was closed down.

This was a school which trained our professional nurses, which should be a premier iconic institution; yet it was closed down. Iyienu trained most of our medical doctors. That was where, they did their House jobs. As I speak to you, the place is no more functional. Before we built state and national Hospitals, these hospitals served our own people. So, we are now going back. As at last week, we paid non-academic staff N3 billion and we are giving all these back to the Churches that ran these institutions. Today, we have commenced subvention to the federal schools, we are spending N6 billion in that regard. We gave over N1 billion to different schools of nursing, including Iyienu, as well as Lourdes, Ihiala.

Is the Church still what it used to be, to manage moral upbringing?

Yes, of course, at least, they are far better than we are (laughs) but we challenge them.

You talked about giving subvention to the different institutions for them to manage. How sincere are you about non interference?

I don’t interfere. But of course, there are policy guidelines. The relevant government ministries monitor the disbursement of these funds. The benefitting schools and hospitals submit action plan before they receive the money and the implementation of the projects are supervised by us.

Are you selling this innovative development model to the South-east zone or is it just for Anambra State alone?

Before selling out things to outsiders, you try it inside first. When the vision behind the policy is clearly seen to work out, it will be easier to sell it to others in the region.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/12/igbo-leadership-succession-talk-premature-gov-obi/

(1) (Reply)

Uba Metropolitan Life Ltd / Obj Visits Chris / Adamawa Guber Race :collect Their Money And Vote Candidate Of Your Choice-marwa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.