Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,202,299 members, 7,981,613 topics. Date: Monday, 21 October 2024 at 09:20 PM

25 Years After, University Graduate Hawks ‘pure’ Water - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 25 Years After, University Graduate Hawks ‘pure’ Water (2531 Views)

Indian Lecturer With PhD, 4 Master’s Degrees Hawks Vegetables To Survive / Korean Students Sue Govt After University Admission Exam Ended 90 Seconds Early / 12-Year-Old FUOYE Is The Fourth Most Sought After University In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

25 Years After, University Graduate Hawks ‘pure’ Water by shafykay(m): 7:32am On Aug 11
Like several others in the streets of Nigeria’s major cities, Glory Effiong Ekanem, a university graduate, hawks sachet water for survival. Glory buried her certificates in her wardrobe and settled for trudging the streets and campuses of higher institutions to hawk her wares because she has mouths to feed.

Glory’s existential story became handy when Saturday Tribune sighted her hawking with two transparent plastic buckets. She stuffs one with iced sachet water and soft drinks balancing it on her head while holding firmly to another containing snacks around the University of Uyo classrooms. Ironically, the 43-year-old mother-of-four, who’s now hawking before undergraduates, graduated from the University of Calabar some 25 years ago.

This is her story: “My name is Mrs Glory Effiong Ekanem from Ikot Ekpene Local Government Area. I am a married woman with four children and my husband is working with the State Ministry of Works. I am 43 years old. My first child is 14 years old and she is in Senior Secondary (SS2).

“I am a graduate of the Department of Animal Science, University of Calabar, Cross River State. I graduated in 2000.

“After my National Youth service, I went for an interview in the Ministry of Health, Akwa Ibom State, but I couldn’t get a job there. I went to the State’s Fire Service, wrote their recruitment exams, came third but they didn’t take me.

“I went for another one after some time and we were asked to pay the sum of N300,000 to get the job. I don’t want to mention the place, but what I don’t understand is why would these people ask us for money when we were looking for a job?

Would I be job-hunting if I had that kind of money? I don’t think so. After doing several interviews in various sectors with no success or employment, I decided to go into business, no matter how small, instead of hoping and waiting for a job.

Player
“I am doing this business (hawking sachet water) because I need to have my own money to assist my husband in taking care of my family.

“The economy is hard, so every man needs all the support they can get and that is why I am selling “pure water” and soft drinks. It’s not every time you ask your husband for money.

“I have a shop where I sit down and keep my goods of soft drinks and sachet water, but I always come out to hawk because that way, I sell more.

“I started this business in 2022 after teaching in a private school. There, I was receiving N20,000 as salary. I had to stop the work because the cost of living was seriously increasing.

In that same 2022, my sister introduced me to this business and helped me purchase packs of biscuits, water and drinks and looked for an open space in the University of Uyo.

“I started the business with N10,000. Then, things were not that costly as we could still buy a carton of biscuits for between N1000 and N2000 and we bought a pack of sachet water for N150 and sold it for N10 per sachet.

“The business was profitable then because things were not that expensive. Now, we buy a bag of sachet water for N300 and sell N30 per sachet.

Then, I normally sold five crates of soft drinks and five cartons of biscuits daily and so I was making profits. But now, it’s not like that. What I sell daily then, I struggle to sell in a week now. Because of how expensive a bottle of soft drink is now, students no longer buy it. I can hardly sell a crate of soft drinks these days.

“It is not easy to make ends meet in this economy but I thank God. I am not too affected by the rising prices of some foodstuffs especially garri because I have cassava farms.

“I have a plantain farm and also a pineapple farm. So, most times, I make garri from my cassava farm and keep in the house for my family and that is how God is sustaining us. If not, it would have been very difficult to feed six mouths with the increasing price of garri. Even with that, it’s not easy to eat things.

“Fuel is the major problem we are facing in this country. If the price of petrol can be reduced, things will become better.

“The government should do everything possible to reduce the fuel price so that poor people can afford basic food in order to survive.

“There are empty spaces in government establishments, I am also calling on the government to give employment to everyone with the requisite experience and requirement.”

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 25 Years After, University Graduate Hawks ‘pure’ Water by illicit(m): 7:47am On Aug 11
It's a pity

1 Like

Re: 25 Years After, University Graduate Hawks ‘pure’ Water by kelvinezeh55(m): 8:05am On Aug 11
There was a country

3 Likes

Re: 25 Years After, University Graduate Hawks ‘pure’ Water by Puss360(f): 8:09am On Aug 11
Higher education especially Universities isn't for everybody...
Because you have the finances to further your education doesn't mean that you should do it...
This is a developing country, so we need more practical skills than theoretical documents..
Let those who are exceptionally intelligent further their education..
We have lots of graduates who can't make decisions after school...

Too bad for her sha

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 25 Years After, University Graduate Hawks ‘pure’ Water by muyico(m): 8:12am On Aug 11
so sad! but u re educated woman, why u born reach 4? with d situation of Nigeria now!

3 Likes

Re: 25 Years After, University Graduate Hawks ‘pure’ Water by kelechi50: 8:34am On Aug 11
Education is not a means of making money rather means of knowledge.
Streetwise differs from knowledge wise.

7 Likes

Re: 25 Years After, University Graduate Hawks ‘pure’ Water by shortgun(m): 9:14am On Aug 11
This is what happens when a country continues to recycle wicked selfish leaders.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 25 Years After, University Graduate Hawks ‘pure’ Water by CJStarz: 9:26am On Aug 11
Meaning that she graduated at the age of 19?
Not true nah.
She should be between 45 and 47 years

4 Likes

Re: 25 Years After, University Graduate Hawks ‘pure’ Water by bmasz(m): 9:27am On Aug 11
shortgun:
This is what happens when a country continues to recycle wicked selfish leaders.

Let's pretend for once that we don't have selfish leaders.

Did you notice that she lamented the fact that she scaled through the interview process several times only to be asked to drop something on the table.

This is also a citizens problem, where 'good people' do bad things to increase their take home.

Collecting bribe before doing their jobs.

This is not only a leadership crisis that we are facing, we are also facing a citizens crisis.

Even if we have good leaders, I'm of the opinions that the citizens would not let their impact to be felt.

Case in point, the distribution of palliative during the COVID era.

Just recently, I went to apply for grant in a ministry, I was asked to sign an undertaking to give 5% of the grant awarded.

We have to change as a people, if we need a change in leadership.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 25 Years After, University Graduate Hawks ‘pure’ Water by shortgun(m): 10:02am On Aug 11
bmasz:

Did you notice that she lamented the fact that she scaled through the interview process several times only to be asked to drop something on the table.

This is also a citizens problem, where 'good people' do bad things to increase their take home.

This is not only a leadership crisis that we are facing, we are also facing a citizens crisis.

Even if we have good leaders, I'm of the opinions that the citizens would not let their impact to be felt.

Just recently, I went to apply for grant in a ministry, I was asked to sign an undertaking to give 5% of the grant awarded.

Do you believe people will continue to demand for bribes and kickbacks if there's a leadership that firmly punishes such immoral activities?
Once citizens understand that their leadership doesn't condone corrupt practices, they will likely be compelled to act with integrity, taking cues from their leaders.

The country is rife with instances of corruption and criminals being protected by the corrupt leadership.
Do you really think a police officer would dare to arrest someone like Asari Dokubo, who is widely recognized as a criminal given his known friendship with President Bola Ahmed Tinubu?

7 Likes

Re: 25 Years After, University Graduate Hawks ‘pure’ Water by tanigororo: 10:47am On Aug 11
Another Lazy Youth, must we all work for the government or work in government establishment?

What Happened to applying to private sectors?

What sellable skills does she have besides her certificate?

What Relevant skills to her course of study does she possesses?

Abeg, stop all this pitiable excuse.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 25 Years After, University Graduate Hawks ‘pure’ Water by MANNABBQGRILLS: 11:36am On Aug 11
“I went for another one after some time and we were asked to pay the sum of N300,000 to get the job. I don’t want to mention the place, but what I don’t understand is why would these people ask us for money when we were looking for a job?
This is one of the problem ravaging all over our darling nation.
Why should an applicant be asked to lay some money before getting a job?
And this is rampant in the government agencies. This should be a no no ,
Something the government must come against forcefully.
And this hs been going on for donkey years.
What a shame of a nation.
We remembered some years when many young Nigerians died in a stampede at a stadium looking for employment.
Many dead with thousands of CVs/resumes littered everywhere.
God save Nigeria 🇳🇬.
Something must be done.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 25 Years After, University Graduate Hawks ‘pure’ Water by MANNABBQGRILLS: 11:36am On Aug 11

I went for another one after some time and we were asked to pay the sum of N300,000 to get the job.
Should someone ever paid to get a job?
No, you should never pay to get a job.

If you're applying for a permanent position, then said company should want you for you and the skills you have to offer.

Also, you should never want to work somewhere like that.
If this is how they treat employees before they are technically even contracted employees, then imagine how the relationship would grow over.time. You'll probably never get a pay rise, no matter the time you put in

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 25 Years After, University Graduate Hawks ‘pure’ Water by mytime24(f): 11:53am On Aug 11
Naija na Dream killer 🥱

1 Like

Re: 25 Years After, University Graduate Hawks ‘pure’ Water by bmasz(m): 12:03pm On Aug 11
shortgun:

Do you believe people will continue to demand for bribes and kickbacks if there's a leadership that firmly punishes such immoral activities?
Once citizens understand that their leadership doesn't condone corrupt practices, they will likely be compelled to act with integrity, taking cues from their leaders.

The country is rife with instances of corruption and criminals being protected by the corrupt leadership.
Do you really think a police officer would dare to arrest someone like Asari Dokubo, who is widely recognized as a criminal given his known friendship with President Bola Ahmed Tinubu?
I agree with you that when corrupt actions have no consequences, people are motivated to keep engaging in such activities.

But when ordinary citizens hold people accountable for their actions, from the bottom up people begin to adjust their actions to reflect the new normal.

For instance, VDM is not in government, but because he calls out people openly, people the were supposedly untouchables via virtual of their social status (pastors, celebrities etc). You find out that, otherwise lethargic institutions have been made to wake up and handle their responsibilities promptly.

Do I feel like everyone can do things the way VDM does, nope.

But I feel like in our own little corners we can be the change we seek in our government.

1 Like

Re: 25 Years After, University Graduate Hawks ‘pure’ Water by 66ungs(m): 12:35pm On Aug 11
Most of them na copy copy make them dey go school, instead of learning skill u went and wasted 4-6 years just to end up selling pure water LMAO
soon she go add POS Join, aunty you better go and learn a Skill that is needed in your community, it never to late o
Office work is not for Everybody

1 Like

Re: 25 Years After, University Graduate Hawks ‘pure’ Water by Nicepoker(m): 12:40pm On Aug 11
post=131448136:

Should someone ever paid to get a job?
No, you should never pay to get a job.

If you're applying for a permanent position, then said company should want you for you and the skills you have to offer.

Also, you should never want to work somewhere like that.
If this is how they treat employees before they are technically even contracted employees, then imagine how the relationship would grow over.time. You'll probably never get a pay rise, no matter the time you put in

It scratches you to quote someone.

1 Like

Re: 25 Years After, University Graduate Hawks ‘pure’ Water by humilitypays(m): 12:50pm On Aug 11
cry

1 Like

Re: 25 Years After, University Graduate Hawks ‘pure’ Water by emperor4love(m): 1:27pm On Aug 11
CJStarz:
Meaning that she graduated at the age of 19?
Not true nah.
She should be between 45 and 47 years
u are calculative,I don't believe de story as well

2 Likes

Re: 25 Years After, University Graduate Hawks ‘pure’ Water by meetme01: 2:09pm On Aug 11
bmasz:

I won't point you to a thread on Nairaland where it's obvious that jobs are either sold or shared among politicians. If you hear the way they share slots, you won't have any option that to source for the money to secure a job. Custom job will soon be announced. What happened to NSCDC? When last did the FG announce vacancies in Federal Civil Service or people did not retire/japa?

See, the son of a nobody in this country is going through a lot. The woman has gone through a lot, she's just surviving with the help of a good husband and hope for better days.

Let me also burst your brain, rarely will you see civil servants either at state or fg level who got the job on merit. It's a man no man issue. That's the bane of our problem. We have selfish, greedy, opaque & absolute good for nothing leaders who sees nothing good in doing the right things.

We have a long way to go. Advertise vacancies, shortlist and employ the best. This is further help our economy and development. The best brains who have passion for Nigeria will be there. It saddens my heart to see how our leaders use employment & poverty to impoverish the downtrodden.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 25 Years After, University Graduate Hawks ‘pure’ Water by Rexymania(m): 3:18pm On Aug 11
Story...

1 Like

Re: 25 Years After, University Graduate Hawks ‘pure’ Water by sageb: 3:40pm On Aug 11
shafykay:
Like several others in the streets of Nigeria’s major cities, Glory Effiong Ekanem, a university graduate, hawks sachet water for survival. Glory buried her certificates in her wardrobe and settled for trudging the streets and campuses of higher institutions to hawk her wares because she has mouths to feed.

Glory’s existential story became handy when Saturday Tribune sighted her hawking with two transparent plastic buckets. She stuffs one with iced sachet water and soft drinks balancing it on her head while holding firmly to another containing snacks around the University of Uyo classrooms. Ironically, the 43-year-old mother-of-four, who’s now hawking before undergraduates, graduated from the University of Calabar some 25 years ago.

This is her story: “My name is Mrs Glory Effiong Ekanem from Ikot Ekpene Local Government Area. I am a married woman with four children and my husband is working with the State Ministry of Works. I am 43 years old. My first child is 14 years old and she is in Senior Secondary (SS2).

“I am a graduate of the Department of Animal Science, University of Calabar, Cross River State. I graduated in 2000.

“After my National Youth service, I went for an interview in the Ministry of Health, Akwa Ibom State, but I couldn’t get a job there. I went to the State’s Fire Service, wrote their recruitment exams, came third but they didn’t take me.

Would I be job-hunting if I had that kind of money? I don’t think so. After doing several interviews in various sectors with no success or employment, I decided to go into business, no matter how small, instead of hoping and waiting for a job.

Player
“I am doing this business (hawking sachet water) because I need to have my own money to assist my husband in taking care of my family.

“The economy is hard, so every man needs all the support they can get and that is why I am selling “pure water” and soft drinks. It’s not every time you ask your husband for money.

“I have a shop where I sit down and keep my goods of soft drinks and sachet water, but I always come out to hawk because that way, I sell more.

“I started this business in 2022 after teaching in a private school. There, I was receiving N20,000 as salary. I had to stop the work because the cost of living was seriously increasing.

In that same 2022, my sister introduced me to this business and helped me purchase packs of biscuits, water and drinks and looked for an open space in the University of Uyo.

“I started the business with N10,000. Then, things were not that costly as we could still buy a carton of biscuits for between N1000 and N2000 and we bought a pack of sachet water for N150 and sold it for N10 per sachet.

“The business was profitable then because things were not that expensive. Now, we buy a bag of sachet water for N300 and sell N30 per sachet.

Then, I normally sold five crates of soft drinks and five cartons of biscuits daily and so I was making profits. But now, it’s not like that. What I sell daily then, I struggle to sell in a week now. Because of how expensive a bottle of soft drink is now, students no longer buy it. I can hardly sell a crate of soft drinks these days.

“It is not easy to make ends meet in this economy but I thank God. I am not too affected by the rising prices of some foodstuffs especially garri because I have cassava farms.

“I have a plantain farm and also a pineapple farm. So, most times, I make garri from my cassava farm and keep in the house for my family and that is how God is sustaining us. If not, it would have been very difficult to feed six mouths with the increasing price of garri. Even with that, it’s not easy to eat things.

“Fuel is the major problem we are facing in this country. If the price of petrol can be reduced, things will become better.

“The government should do everything possible to reduce the fuel price so that poor people can afford basic food in order to survive.

“There are empty spaces in government establishments, I am also calling on the government to give employment to everyone with the requisite experience and requirement.”

The sad reality 😔

1 Like

Re: 25 Years After, University Graduate Hawks ‘pure’ Water by ravensckar(m): 4:01pm On Aug 11
shortgun:

Bros, better oil dey your head jare. cheesy cheesy

The widespread corruption in our country is a leadership problem. Firstly, our institutions ain't effective in the fight against corruption. I remember EFCC during the time of Nuhu Ribadu or NAFDAC during the time of Dora Akunyili. Now, most Nigerian institutions are a joke. cry cry

Secondly, our leaders from top to bottom are corruption personified (although some are more corrupt than the other). During Fashola's era, I went to Lagos State Secretariat for a matter. You could see the pervassive fear of corruption in the civil servants. They dare not ask me for a bribe. Fast forward to many years later, I went to the same ministry and it was corruption jamboree. They kept asking me for bribe in a brazen manner. I was shocked to my bones!

When the head is rotten, I wonder what anyone would expect of the whole body.

Spits!

4 Likes

Re: 25 Years After, University Graduate Hawks ‘pure’ Water by Olufemiolaolu(m): 4:41pm On Aug 11
This is serious

1 Like

Re: 25 Years After, University Graduate Hawks ‘pure’ Water by Kevineleven(m): 5:19pm On Aug 11
In Nigeria certificate is not enough, you also need Sabificate.
Sabifiicate derived from pidgin English word SABI means to master a skill that will be fetching you money till you get employed.

1 Like

Re: 25 Years After, University Graduate Hawks ‘pure’ Water by trium: 5:32pm On Aug 11
trium:
Welcome to the world. I mean real world.

Bring work, you de active? grin grin
Should we tell him

Your degree is a great accomplishment but there is a lie they told you, it is not an entitlement. The real world wants much more. The real world wants to design the cake, eat the cake and have it. We want your experience at a cheap cost grin

If you don't have experience, your degree is just on paper. If you don't have paper, we will use die. So guy, do this, get busy. Apply yourself to relevant places that will pay you and use your education to graduate through life. Again, don't feel entitled. Don't stay in 1 place. You have signed out, don't start looking at the register of who signed out (i.e. your classmates). Life's race has begun. Keep moving and find your place within the world.

1 Like

Re: 25 Years After, University Graduate Hawks ‘pure’ Water by Bankyshinani(m): 6:00pm On Aug 11
That story na lie o....graduating at 19 in year 2000

1 Like

Re: 25 Years After, University Graduate Hawks ‘pure’ Water by Allenmuller(m): 6:04pm On Aug 11
She's a responsible woman ,not like other Gen-Z type who only fix lashes an long nails just to be at home .
So annoying

1 Like

Re: 25 Years After, University Graduate Hawks ‘pure’ Water by Bukola94(m): 6:13pm On Aug 11
muyico:
so sad! but u re educated woman, why u born reach 4? with d situation of Nigeria now!
The husband may have pressure her to born 4, the woman should go & do family planning ASAP, it doesn't cost more than 3k , it is free in some hospitals

1 Like

Re: 25 Years After, University Graduate Hawks ‘pure’ Water by Bukola94(m): 6:27pm On Aug 11
bmasz:

It has always been like that, if you don't give 10% , no offer or good position for you. If you're bidding for contract & you don't back it up with brown envelope, nothing for you. That 5% grant they ask you to sign is like their birth right. Hope they later awarded it from the ministry?

1 Like

Re: 25 Years After, University Graduate Hawks ‘pure’ Water by Adewale1603(m): 6:46pm On Aug 11
Sad. Life itself ain't fair. Life screws us all.

1 Like

Re: 25 Years After, University Graduate Hawks ‘pure’ Water by Bukola94(m): 7:28pm On Aug 11
post=131448135:

This is one of the problem ravaging all over our darling nation.
Why should an applicant be asked to lay some money before getting a job?
And this is rampant in the government agencies. This should be a no no ,
Something the government must come against forcefully.
And this hs been going on for donkey years.
What a shame of a nation.
We remembered some years when many young Nigerians died in a stampede at a stadium looking for employment.
Many dead with thousands of CVs/resumes littered everywhere.
God save Nigeria 🇳🇬.
Something must be done.
To get TESCOM/ SUBEB work na connect. Ordinary teaching work

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Wht Wrong With Anambra State University, Uli. (ansu) Vc. / Nigerian Professors Among Best Paid In The World! / How I Graduated As Best Graduating Student -AAUA Best Graduating Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.