Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,674 members, 7,951,822 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 02:54 AM

Notable Females Who Made History In The Nigerian Military - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Notable Females Who Made History In The Nigerian Military (36236 Views)

My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training / Parade By Boys Of Nigerian Military School Zaria Goes Viral / Another Nigerian Military Officer Distinguished Himself In Australia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Notable Females Who Made History In The Nigerian Military by Racoon(m): 7:25pm On Aug 14
-1). Major General Aderonke Kale.
Major General Aderonke Kale trained as a medical doctor at University College, which later became the University of Ibadan. She joined the Nigerian Army in 1972 and grew to a colonel and deputy commander of the Nigerian Army Medical Corps in 1990.

She was later promoted to the rank of BRIGADIER GENERAL and In 1994, She was promoted to MAJOR GENERAL and became the first Nigerian woman and West Africa to achieve that and She retired in 1997 as a Major General.

-2). Colonel H. V. Halilu
In the reckoning of NIGERIAN ARMY Museum , Colonel HV Halilu N/209 of the Medical Corps, commissioned 23 May 1961, was the first female officer of the army. She retired on 31 October 1989. This claim shall be subjected to investigative rigour.

We have since proved conclusively, using dates of commission and service numbers, THAT Colonel VU Halilu was the THIRD female commissioned officer and absolutely not, repeat NOT, the first. That is a profound myth which should be quickly expunged by @HQNigerianArmy
Post credits; @beegeaglesblog

-3). Captain Joy Iyamu Née Ogwu
WHO WAS FIRST FEMALE COMMISSIONED OFFICER Of The @HQNigerianArmy ??
@Seal_60team

She Was Captain Joy Iyamu Née Ogwu (Who Became “Joy Iyamu” By Marriage And “Joy Tolefe” By Remarriage) The Claim That It Was Colonel Halilu N/209 Has No Toehold In Documentary Evidence

When was Capt Ogwu commissioned into the NA officer corps? She was commissioned as the first female officer on 7 Feb 1961. The second was Esther Williams N/179, commissioned 7 Feb 1961.CHECK the insert for 100% irrefutable and gazetted evidence.

Colonel VU Halilu N/209 could at least snuffed out this MYTH 35 years ago by publicly asserting that she was the THIRD female commissioned officer of the NA and not, REPEAT NOT, nearly the first.Check again for 100% irrefutable and gazetted evidence.

Colonel Halilu was commissioned on 23 May 1961, THREE MONTHS AFTER the duo of Josephine Ogwu and Esther Williams were pipped. THIS categorically settles the age-old myth about who the first female commissioned officer of the NA was.

[i]Captain Josephine Okwuekeleke Tolefe (born December 15, 1931, in Aniocha, Delta State, Nigeria) was the first female commissioned officer in the Nigerian Army. She was the first female military officer and the first female to attain the rank of an Army Captain in Nigeria.

History is chronicled for the benefit of the living and unborn. In its pristine essence,it must be underpinned by factuality and nothing else. During her lifetime, Capt Ogwu stated this fact but nothing has been done to correct the absolutely wrong imputation in official records[/i]

She was the FIRST.Can’t be stated otherwise.We dug very deep and came up for the first time with the full documentary evidence of what some of us have known but for which the records to prove same had yet to be unearthed..That day has come. Now time to set the records straight
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/12/meet-the-first-female-army-officer-in-nigeria/amp/

-4). Rear Admiral Itunu Hotonu:
Rear Admiral Itunu Hotonu (born 18 January 1959) is a Nigerian naval officer and architect. One of the first women officers and amongst the first architects in the Nigerian Navy, she has served as a staff college instructor and abroad in Liberia. In December 2012 she became the first female admiral in Africa.

-5). Rear Admiral Mercy Ekanem-Nesiama
How Did You Cope in a Male-Dominated Field?

.......I am the second female admiral and I remember that when the first lady got hers, rear admiral Otonu, I thanked her because she had broken the glass ceiling.

I was not even thanking her because I knew I would be an admiral myself, it just showed that more people would be able to get it and that was my mindset. I knew that whatever I did was for those behind me.
http://punchng.com/as-a-woman-in-a-mans-world-i-worked-100-

-6). Major General Abimbola Olatilewa Amusa:
Major General Abimbola Olatilewa Amusu is a Nigerian soldier who commanded the Nigerian Army Medical Corps from 2015 to 2018. She was the second female officer in the history of the Nigerian Army Medical Corps to have commanded the corps. She was appointed after the retirement of Major General Obashina Ayodele

[i]-7). Rear Admiral Jamila Malafa.[/i]
Jamila Malafa is the first female military officer from the north. She was decorated with the rank of commodore, which is equivalent to the rank of a BRIGADIER GENERAL in the Nigeria Army.

She is a native of Gombi local government in Adamawa state was commissioned in 1990. She is happily married, though her husband is late, they had lovely children.

-8 ). Air Commodore Habibah Ruth Garba.
Habibah Ruth Garba is an Air Commodore in the Nigerian Air Force. She is the first woman to be promoted to the rank of an Air Commodore in Nigerian Air Force.

She worn the Karis Award in 2013 and the Female Achievers’ Award of the Women in Management, Business and Public Service (WIMBIZ) 2018 conference in Nigeria.

-9). Wing Commander Hajara Bashari:
Hajara Bashari is the Wing Commander fss mss pjsc (Rtd). She's the first female officer from Jigawa State and North West and a former Director, Nursing Services in the Nigerian Air Force (NAF). She has served in various capacities and has gone on both military and civil courses.

10). MWO Grace Garba
Grace Garba is the first female Senior Non-Commissioned Officer (SNCO) to be promoted to the highest rank in the Non-Commissioned Officers’ cadre since Nigerian Air Force was established on April 18, 1964.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Notable Females Who Made History In The Nigerian Military by Racoon(m): 7:25pm On Aug 14
Great and Gallant Women

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Notable Females Who Made History In The Nigerian Military by Racoon(m): 7:26pm On Aug 14
MORE PICTURES

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Notable Females Who Made History In The Nigerian Military by Racoon(m): 7:28pm On Aug 14
-11). Brigadier GGeneral Cecilia Akagu
Brigadier General Cecilia U. Akagu is a Nigerian Female General. Most Remarkably, She is married to Brigadier Gen. Clifford B. Wanda and together, they are Nigeria’s first married army officers to attain the same rank.Brigadier General Akagu is from Ankpa in Kogi State while her husband is from Enugu Ngwo in Enugu State.

The fact that the couple have different last names is not unusual, as some military personnel do keep their last names for administrative purposes, especially if they met on the job.

They both met when they were commissioned as officers.

They are not the first commissioned officers to be married in the Nigerian Army, BUT they are rhe first and only at the moment to reach the rank of Brigadier General as a couple.

-12). Blessing Liman:
Blessing Liman (born 13 March 1984), is a Nigerian military personnel of the Nigerian Air Force best known for being Nigeria's first female military pilot.
AND MORE PICTURES:

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Notable Females Who Made History In The Nigerian Military by 2Radii: 7:35pm On Aug 14
Omo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Notable Females Who Made History In The Nigerian Military by Leemzyy(f): 7:39pm On Aug 14
hmm re u sure they have giving birth to my grand daddy by then?
Re: Notable Females Who Made History In The Nigerian Military by STEWpid(f): 8:49pm On Aug 14

C
h a i..

grin
grin

Women of signs and wonders,,!
Re: Notable Females Who Made History In The Nigerian Military by Atinuke12267(f): 8:49pm On Aug 14
Hmm

This woman with the combined efforts of Gen. Adekunle used 3 million stubborn pigs as suya in the 1960s?

What a brave woman?

16 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Notable Females Who Made History In The Nigerian Military by Pastoshizzy(m): 8:49pm On Aug 14
I never knew I had a fetish for women in military uniform until I met this sassy lieutenant at Tampa Fl. I was a fool for that moment. I've been an idiot for pretty military women in uniform ever since. Cosplay tinz allowed (ssh!)

1 Like

Re: Notable Females Who Made History In The Nigerian Military by MaziObinnaokija: 8:49pm On Aug 14
cool
Re: Notable Females Who Made History In The Nigerian Military by iamoyindamola(m): 8:50pm On Aug 14
Nice
Brave courageous women
Re: Notable Females Who Made History In The Nigerian Military by Gotocourt: 8:50pm On Aug 14
tongue
Re: Notable Females Who Made History In The Nigerian Military by Biodun556(m): 8:51pm On Aug 14
Impressive

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Notable Females Who Made History In The Nigerian Military by azadus18: 8:51pm On Aug 14
The original slay queens

12 Likes

Re: Notable Females Who Made History In The Nigerian Military by YeyeGbami: 8:51pm On Aug 14
Re: Notable Females Who Made History In The Nigerian Military by Sonofgod1990(m): 8:53pm On Aug 14
Leemzyy:
it seems
Re: Notable Females Who Made History In The Nigerian Military by Efuaye(m): 8:53pm On Aug 14
Setting the records straight.
Re: Notable Females Who Made History In The Nigerian Military by abobote: 8:53pm On Aug 14
What is their actual contribution, apart from being first this and that in a failed country

11 Likes

Re: Notable Females Who Made History In The Nigerian Military by lepashandie(f): 8:56pm On Aug 14
Love and maximum respect to them smiley

1 Like

Re: Notable Females Who Made History In The Nigerian Military by gidyambi(m): 8:56pm On Aug 14
F*ck em all
Re: Notable Females Who Made History In The Nigerian Military by Judolisco(m): 8:56pm On Aug 14
If u go do mistake get quarrel with dat first female general.... E Don be for u bdat and na d time of military rule....omo sorry na ur case

1 Like

Re: Notable Females Who Made History In The Nigerian Military by Leemzyy(f): 8:57pm On Aug 14
Sonofgod1990:
it seems
I dont think so
Re: Notable Females Who Made History In The Nigerian Military by Nemesis0147(m): 8:57pm On Aug 14
abobote:
What is their actual contribution, apart from being first this and that in a failed country
lol

1 Like

Re: Notable Females Who Made History In The Nigerian Military by uuzba(m): 8:57pm On Aug 14
Me I was expecting to read that somebody conquered legions of enemies, battled some monsters or something..
Not all these "first to wear shoe" stories..

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Notable Females Who Made History In The Nigerian Military by Neddstark: 8:57pm On Aug 14
Show us the one that were active in combat.

5 Likes

Re: Notable Females Who Made History In The Nigerian Military by Dangrace01: 8:57pm On Aug 14
Okay
Re: Notable Females Who Made History In The Nigerian Military by chccho(m): 8:57pm On Aug 14
Leemzyy:
There's a difference btw "giving and given"

6 Likes

Re: Notable Females Who Made History In The Nigerian Military by Tjra: 8:58pm On Aug 14
Atinuke12267:
Hmm

Thus woman was with the combined efforts of Gen. Adekunle used 3 million stubborn pigs as suya in the 1960s?

What a brave woman?
Don't do this please.
Re: Notable Females Who Made History In The Nigerian Military by wediehere1: 8:58pm On Aug 14
IPOBidients are busy killing innocent Ibo?
Re: Notable Females Who Made History In The Nigerian Military by Michael547(m): 8:59pm On Aug 14
Ok
Re: Notable Females Who Made History In The Nigerian Military by Leemzyy(f): 8:59pm On Aug 14
chccho:
There's a difference btw "giving and given"
Oops! thanks
Re: Notable Females Who Made History In The Nigerian Military by Samunique(m): 8:59pm On Aug 14
Na modeling this one go do for military grin

15 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Confessions Of A Lagos Male Nurse / My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn / Highest Paying Banks In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.