Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,095 members, 7,973,684 topics. Date: Saturday, 12 October 2024 at 11:41 PM

NNPC: We Are Selling Petrol At Half The Landing Cost — But It Is Not Subsidy - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NNPC: We Are Selling Petrol At Half The Landing Cost — But It Is Not Subsidy (18642 Views)

It Is Not Subsidy: NNPC Explains Why It Sells Fuel Lower Than Landing Cost / NNPC: We Spent ₦966 Billion On Pipeline Repairs Between 2010 And 2015 / We May Start Selling Petrol Above N145 –IPMAN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NNPC: We Are Selling Petrol At Half The Landing Cost — But It Is Not Subsidy by gaby(m): 2:25pm On Aug 20
nairalanda1:

And the harsh truth is that if you want the power and petrol sector to work well...it needs profits.

That is what Niger, who is poorer than us, is doing. They have a refinery, they have domestic crude, and fuel there sells for N1400 per liter.

Ghana has two refineries, and a lot of crude, and fuel is around N1600 equivalent.

Why does this read like you trying to be and sound smart by half?

Why aren't you making the same comparison above with the likes of Libya, UAE, and Saudi Arabia?

Sickening...

2 Likes

Re: NNPC: We Are Selling Petrol At Half The Landing Cost — But It Is Not Subsidy by leokid866: 2:31pm On Aug 20
mrvitalis:

PDP removed subsidies and price was ₦145 APC said no

Now pay subsidies and price is ₦650

how many times did pdp remove subsidy in 16 years? You thought that was the end of it or that meant that was the off load price? Fuel landing cost has always been about 1k per liter.....because it's a security product government has always cut off the off loading cost and subsidized the rest to what they feel the pump price should be.....pdp despite saying the removed subsidy from obj to jona still kept paying it to keep price at 145.......but if you feel the current pump price is too much you sef drop your salary to run subsidy......
Re: NNPC: We Are Selling Petrol At Half The Landing Cost — But It Is Not Subsidy by commoditiesnig: 2:34pm On Aug 20
ruggedtimi:
Why are we importing petrol??
Good question
Re: NNPC: We Are Selling Petrol At Half The Landing Cost — But It Is Not Subsidy by Urgent1Million: 2:40pm On Aug 20
MVLOX:
Na come wetin.... Dis people really think Nigerians are dumb cha
Are some Nigerians not dumb?
Soon, they'll add some ethnic colouration to it. We'll make noise on social media and that's the end.
Do you think they care?

2 Likes

Re: NNPC: We Are Selling Petrol At Half The Landing Cost — But It Is Not Subsidy by nairalanda1(m): 2:40pm On Aug 20
Willie2015:

Ur model will bring chaos....confusion...
Hunger and death ...
How many Nigerians do you think will survive and live ....
Assuming fuel get to N2k/Litre... with your profit model....
Knowing the fact that we are already the world capital of poverty...
Ur model is unrealistic...wicked and dont have a human face...
Even the Almighty US spends more than $30 billion a year on subsidies for farm businesses and agriculture....

SO, stop complaining about what government does re subsides. Infact, stop grumbling about your government.

As for me, I see reality, and prefer reality. If our government is not seeing reality, what else can we do?

Good morning.

2 Likes

Re: NNPC: We Are Selling Petrol At Half The Landing Cost — But It Is Not Subsidy by Berankis: 2:41pm On Aug 20
IT IS SUPPLICATION!!! grin cheesy grin
Re: NNPC: We Are Selling Petrol At Half The Landing Cost — But It Is Not Subsidy by gaby(m): 2:42pm On Aug 20
nairalanda1:

Because Libya, UAE and Saudi arabia have small populaitons ...less than about 10million, 14 million and 40 million respectively...and produce far more oil (or in LIbya's case, around the same amount of oil) than we do

We have 200 MILLION or more people and produce 1.5 m bpd.

That's why they can afford subsides, we can't . And even Libya loses billions to smuggling of fuel....and it has even gotten to the point where they use jet fighters to fight the fuel smugglers. (I wish I was lying).

The reason why our leaders are bad is not just that they steal money, it is also that they do not make enough money for us.

Your use of the word sickening does not change the cold facts. And better stop being abusive.

Ain't going to waste my time and energy in a back and forth with you...

Peace..

3 Likes

Re: NNPC: We Are Selling Petrol At Half The Landing Cost — But It Is Not Subsidy by Mbaebieb2r(m): 2:42pm On Aug 20
I do hook up, but I'm not a prostitute
Re: NNPC: We Are Selling Petrol At Half The Landing Cost — But It Is Not Subsidy by nairalanda1(m): 2:44pm On Aug 20
gaby:

Ain't going to waste my time and energy in a back and forth with you...

Peace..

Thanks, but subsidy has to go. Otherwise, our debt , and the whole mess we have on display now is going to continue.

The old USSR Used to subsidse food, and they had regular scarcity. Nowadays, no subsidy for food in Russia, the shelves are all full

People won't do anything for cheap. The idea that we could have cheap subsidised power is why we have issues.

Good afternoon, and don't let my facts make you too upset for nothing. This is a site.

2 Likes

Re: NNPC: We Are Selling Petrol At Half The Landing Cost — But It Is Not Subsidy by wealthyvic1: 2:47pm On Aug 20
Foolish people everywhere
Re: NNPC: We Are Selling Petrol At Half The Landing Cost — But It Is Not Subsidy by Willie2015: 2:52pm On Aug 20
nairalanda1:

SO, stop complaining about what government does re subsides. Infact, stop grumbling about your government.

As for me, I see reality, and prefer reality. If our government is not seeing reality, what else can we do

Good morning.

Reality from where...?
From the pit of Hell....
Have you ever seen any sane country that dont have
subsidy in one area or the other ...
Its the Nigerian leaders that are greedy, corrupt and have leadership issues...
Have a nice day

2 Likes

Re: NNPC: We Are Selling Petrol At Half The Landing Cost — But It Is Not Subsidy by JetApartment: 2:53pm On Aug 20
phoneport:

NNPC the lie lie oil company of Nigeria grin grin grin

More like, Nalie Nalie Public Company (NNPC) grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: NNPC: We Are Selling Petrol At Half The Landing Cost — But It Is Not Subsidy by mrvitalis(m): 2:53pm On Aug 20
leokid866:
how many times did pdp remove subsidy in 16 years? You thought that was the end of it or that meant that was the off load price? Fuel landing cost has always been about 1k per liter.....because it's a security product government has always cut off the off loading cost and subsidized the rest to what they feel the pump price should be.....pdp despite saying the removed subsidy from obj to jona still kept paying it to keep price at 145.......but if you feel the current pump price is too much you sef drop your salary to run subsidy......
What re you even blabbing?

Don't understand are you a supposed human comparing our nation on PDP that's 10x our GDP to APC that reduced it by 60% ?

Do you have sense at all?

3 Likes

Re: NNPC: We Are Selling Petrol At Half The Landing Cost — But It Is Not Subsidy by JetApartment: 2:55pm On Aug 20
Yourprick:

https://www.thecable.ng/nnpc-we-are-selling-petrol-at-half-the-landing-cost-but-it-is-not-subsidy/amp/

The more this block head tries to explain the "subsidy is gone scam" the more dumb, stvpid and daft he sounds.

Bunch of confused people in government.

Re: NNPC: We Are Selling Petrol At Half The Landing Cost — But It Is Not Subsidy by themanderon: 3:00pm On Aug 20
nairalanda1:

That's the problem. If it does not suit your idea of things, it is a lie. That's kind of childish from you old man.

Good morning. Nice talking with you.

Tell me why you think it suits yours. I am waiting for you to convince me.

2 Likes

Re: NNPC: We Are Selling Petrol At Half The Landing Cost — But It Is Not Subsidy by Guestlander: 3:12pm On Aug 20
mrvitalis:
Lol 😂😂😂😂 APC sha

Watch come paid idiots come here and defend this rubbish

I shouted it since last year we have been playing subsidies without Budgeting for such but they all attacked me

Now the truth is Out

Who told you this started with APC?
Re: NNPC: We Are Selling Petrol At Half The Landing Cost — But It Is Not Subsidy by waveman2: 3:28pm On Aug 20
People said they are selling the product at half the price it's landing and you still dey ask make them crash the price.The govt is careful not to use the word subsidy but the truth is the product is still subsidized by NNPC,whether u call it shortfall or what ever name they want to call it.

Crashing of the naira made subsidy to come back.May God help Tinubu and Nigerians.

GanagiBitrus:

If this is not subsidy, then what is it?

Anyway whether you call it Shortfall or Palliative is not even the main issue. The major concern is that Govt should do everything possible to crash the price of fuel, which will in turn curb inflation.

1 Like

Re: NNPC: We Are Selling Petrol At Half The Landing Cost — But It Is Not Subsidy by waveman2: 3:32pm On Aug 20
In a country where you import everything with a weak currency the govt must subsidize and there is no two ways about.whether you give subsidy to what directly impact the life of the masses like transportation,food,electricity,etc some things must be subsidized.

nairalanda1:

Thanks, but subsidy has to go. Otherwise, our debt , and the whole mess we have on display now is going to continue.

The old USSR Used to subsidse food, and they had regular scarcity. Nowadays, no subsidy for food in Russia, the shelves are all full

People won't do anything for cheap. The idea that we could have cheap subsidised power is why we have issues.

Good afternoon, and don't let my facts make you too upset for nothing. This is a site.
Re: NNPC: We Are Selling Petrol At Half The Landing Cost — But It Is Not Subsidy by fitinwell: 3:33pm On Aug 20
Re: NNPC: We Are Selling Petrol At Half The Landing Cost — But It Is Not Subsidy by PHAYOL81: 3:33pm On Aug 20
Direct subsidy, simple. I don't understand why they can't own up that for now and pending the time we can get our major refineries supplying us seamlessly, they would need to ease the pressure of FX hike on the populace through the management of PUMP PRICE which has been drastically affected. It's just for some time, so even if people throw insults at them, they get the applause in the end when things go the right way as planned.
Accountability should be a non-negotiable trademark if progress has to be made and sustained.
Re: NNPC: We Are Selling Petrol At Half The Landing Cost — But It Is Not Subsidy by GanagiBitrus: 3:36pm On Aug 20
waveman2:
People said they are selling the product at half the price it's landing and you still dey ask make them crash the price.The govt is careful not to use the word subsidy but the truth is the product is still subsidized by NNPC,whether u call it shortfall or what ever name they want to call it.

Crashing of the naira made subsidy to come back.May God help Tinubu and Nigerians.

Are you saying it is IMPOSSIBLE to bring down fuel price?
Re: NNPC: We Are Selling Petrol At Half The Landing Cost — But It Is Not Subsidy by waveman2: 3:42pm On Aug 20
That is what THEY said.Subsidy was never gone it's there but APC now calls it shortfall.so you must get used to this new word.

GanagiBitrus:

Are you saying it is IMPOSSIBLE to bring down fuel price?
Re: NNPC: We Are Selling Petrol At Half The Landing Cost — But It Is Not Subsidy by okeke6969: 3:47pm On Aug 20
mrvitalis:
Lol 😂😂😂😂 APC sha

Watch come paid idiots come here and defend this rubbish

I shouted it since last year we have been playing subsidies without Budgeting for such but they all attacked me

Now the truth is Out

Your comment is good, but try to review it before posting.
Re: NNPC: We Are Selling Petrol At Half The Landing Cost — But It Is Not Subsidy by JAYBURAH(m): 3:49pm On Aug 20
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font] The day way God create NIGERIAN him go back yard go laugh
rickpat:
this nigeria is as useless as the P in the word "psychology"

how on Earth do we explain how petrol is cheaper in Nigeria than Malta (where we import from)..how?...it must be a miracle ...

corruption no dey tire nigerian leaders/politicians..

ALL NIGERIAN POLITICIANS ARE FRAUD, DEMONS AND LOOTERS...

na people when dey support any of them I dey pity...the way they feel Nigerians are dumb is mind blowing Sha..

nigeria is dead and buried..na the last money they wan thief finish so

Re: NNPC: We Are Selling Petrol At Half The Landing Cost — But It Is Not Subsidy by Kinoike: 3:51pm On Aug 20
This government is so deceptive.
Re: NNPC: We Are Selling Petrol At Half The Landing Cost — But It Is Not Subsidy by Autobot05: 4:20pm On Aug 20
Throwback:
I laugh this one ooo.

Shortfall is not subsidy. Hahahahaha!

Buzz Lightyear also claimed he is not flying, but falling with style.

Buzz lightyear 😅😂
Re: NNPC: We Are Selling Petrol At Half The Landing Cost — But It Is Not Subsidy by travelzcruix: 4:21pm On Aug 20
Nigeria, who ever curse this land over do. Even Adam and Eve wey offend Almighty God directly no suffer reach us.
Re: NNPC: We Are Selling Petrol At Half The Landing Cost — But It Is Not Subsidy by Majesty7: 4:23pm On Aug 20
nairalanda1:

NO counter point, no rebuttal, just abuse.

Anyway, enjoy your subsidised prices.

You Nairalanders should learn how to debate others , instead of just screaming lies repeatedly. It does not show you know anything of the matter under discussion.

So sad you thought you are at the center of accusation. Did I know you? What concerns of mine is if you lied or not?

I am telling you that those stats are fraudulent. There is no accountability in Nigeria since independent. It has been falsely packaged.

Why do you think I am attacking you? Are you the federal government?

2 Likes

Re: NNPC: We Are Selling Petrol At Half The Landing Cost — But It Is Not Subsidy by coleon(m): 4:31pm On Aug 20
nairalanda1:
When people lie, it is blody obvious

Shortfall is another word for subsidy, especially since the government pays off the shortfall.

But as we can see, government is struggling to pay the shortfall, and the result is the scarcity we see, since NNPC can't afford to import fuel again.

The way forward really is basically, GOVERNMENT LETS THE NNPC and everyone SELL FUEL AT N1300 and above per liter.

It's the only answer, otherwise, people, we will see the same mess and lying we have been seeing for generations. Infact, we have been TOLD REPEATEDLY since 1993, and especially in 2012, THAT THE SUBSIDY HAD TO GO.

IN 2012, GOVERNMENT even produced easy to understand propaganda adverts that explained the whole thing self. I remember, it woke me up. That and other comments.

But we have decieved ourselves into thinking that keeping subsidy is what protects us from inflation...meanwhile under subsidy, inflation is worsening. What else is new?

But most Nigerians from the ojota crowd to the obidents are only interested in using subsidy as a stick to beat the other side, while in their heart of hearts, they want fuel to sell at N40. It is cracy thinking, but there it is. Yesterday, people support one side, today, people support the other.

Most Nigerians live in sugarcandy land when it comes to subsidy. And if you tell them that it makes sense to sell petrol at a profit, the abuse starts.

Anyway, enough of playing with seven year olds who don't get basic capitalism.
You are saying the truth but not addressing the root cause which is gross poverty in the land.
Have you asked yourself the fundamental question which is "Can Nigerians afford to buy fuel at 1300 per liter"? Even the present price of 650 is unaffordable to most.
The economy will shut down if what you proposed above is tried. The only solution is to get our refineries working (i e government owned refineries) and ensure the subsidy continues, the government should be able to let go whatever shortfall it is since we will not need fx to buy fuel or crude oil from our own refineries.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

I Will Be Vindicated And The Wicked Will Not Go UNPUNISHED: Ekweremadu / EFCC Arrests Saminu Turaki / Buhari Already Has Over 12 Million Voters For 2019 —campaign Organisation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.