Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,610 members, 7,941,347 topics. Date: Friday, 06 September 2024 at 02:29 AM

Why 26-year-old Photographer Was Arrested And Jailed For 10 Months - Ex Boss - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why 26-year-old Photographer Was Arrested And Jailed For 10 Months - Ex Boss (21159 Views)

I Spent 10 Months In Prison For Resigning Via SMS — 26-Year-Old Photography / Nigerian Caregiver Jailed In UAE For Staying 30-minutes In The Bathroom / Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why 26-year-old Photographer Was Arrested And Jailed For 10 Months - Ex Boss by Newlymarried(f): 6:22pm On Sep 02
The former boss of the 26-year-old photographer detained in Keffi Correctional Centre after he resigned via text message has broken his silence following an outcry on social media.

Mike Oluwole, the former boss of Nicholas Peter, spoke to Punch on Monday, September 2.

Oluwole said Nicholas came to his office to sell a camera lens, which he later discovered to be allegedly stolen.

He told the publication: "When he came to my office to sell the camera lens, I asked about its owner. He claimed that it belonged to his friend, and I put him on the spot to confirm. I made him sign that he sold it to me. I then told him how much I needed a good photographer and photo editor and he showed interest. I put him on a series of photography tests, which he passed outstandingly.

"I then employed him on probation for six months with a monthly pay of N70,000, and he consented. But I noticed something with Nicholas: he is always demanding. My company has a scheme called ‘I owe you (IOU)’ to help relieve staff members of their financial burdens until the end of the month when they get their salaries to repay. He was always defaulting in the scheme and would beg me to help him spread the pay beyond the next month.

"When he resigned, he only sent a text, and I asked him if that was the appropriate way to go about things. He then began to insult me, advising me on how to go about human management and leadership.

"I learned that our office phone was missing; I rang him to no avail after CCTV revealed that a day before his resignation, he had returned to the office, disconnected the office camera, and connected it while heading out. Unperturbed by his actions that are costing my customer database, I reported him to the police, and he was arrested."

He said the photographer was questioned about the disappearance of the phone for days before his case was transferred to the court. Oluwole alleged that Nicholas later confessed to stealing the phone, but it was too late to stop the prosecution.

He said that after being pressured, he wrote to the Upper Area Court, Mpape in Abuja, where Nicholas was prosecuted, to stop the case, but his letter was not approved.

"I heard that the letter was rejected because it was not properly written, of which I did due diligence. I learned about the bail fee when he got to Keffi Correctional Centre. At first, he said it was N20,000, which I sent to one of the people he contacted to beg me for his release. He rang me again and said that it was N50,000. I didn’t believe him because he had always had a distrust for him. So, I informed them to refund me.

"I did all I could to facilitate his release, and when he returned, he came to my office, and I sent N20,000 to him again with the promise that I would help him get an offer if he changed for good."

https://punchng.com/why-26-year-old-abuja-based-photographer-was-arrested-jailed-for-10-months-ex-boss/?amp

Previous thread https://www.nairaland.com/8200473/spent-10-months-prison-resigning

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why 26-year-old Photographer Was Arrested And Jailed For 10 Months - Ex Boss by immortalcrown(m): 6:25pm On Sep 02
I will limit my judgement to the employer's claim.

How did the employer discover that the lense he bought from the employee was a stolen one?

What has the employer done about the lense? Has he reported it to the police or has he located the owner? Or, is he an accomplice (a beneficiary of theft)?

In fact, how is the story of the lense related to the arrest and the detention of the employee? Or, is the employer using that story to manipulate the public?

You identified a thief and still employed him to work for you?

As for the employee being a loan defaulter and thief, it may be true or false. I expect the employer to react to the allegations.

100 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why 26-year-old Photographer Was Arrested And Jailed For 10 Months - Ex Boss by SocialJustice: 6:29pm On Sep 02
Wonderful!

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why 26-year-old Photographer Was Arrested And Jailed For 10 Months - Ex Boss by vonlogon: 6:31pm On Sep 02
The employer told three different stories, absolutely unrelated. How did you discover that the camera lens was stolen. The guy may not be innocent but the employer is also a bully

118 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why 26-year-old Photographer Was Arrested And Jailed For 10 Months - Ex Boss by Lifestone(m): 7:02pm On Sep 02
vonlogon:
The employer told three different stories, absolutely unrelated. How did you discover that the camera lens was stolen. The guy may not be innocent but the employer is also a bully
For reporting a stolen Item case at the police station!
He's got no blame Sir

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why 26-year-old Photographer Was Arrested And Jailed For 10 Months - Ex Boss by dollynnn(f): 7:11pm On Sep 02
His story does not add up. What has a suspected stolen lens got to do with this?

14 Likes

Re: Why 26-year-old Photographer Was Arrested And Jailed For 10 Months - Ex Boss by hakeemhakeem(m): 8:37pm On Sep 02
Why is it difficult to read and understand,len was what brought them together at first.

18 Likes

Re: Why 26-year-old Photographer Was Arrested And Jailed For 10 Months - Ex Boss by vonlogon: 7:14am On Sep 03
hakeemhakeem:
Why is it difficult to read and understand,len was what brought them together at first.

I read, understood and digested everything, point is other than the stolen lens which brought them together and we didn't know how the employer discovered it was stolen, none of the other allegations warrants an incarceration.

14 Likes

Re: Why 26-year-old Photographer Was Arrested And Jailed For 10 Months - Ex Boss by BabaHenry(m): 8:48am On Sep 03
Lifestone:

He's got no blame Sir

He got so many blame Egbon
Firstly, someone came to you to sell a stolen item, you bought the item and then went ahead to give the thief an opportunity to work with you
Haba!!!!
Those story you see up there are never adding up ....

That guy might be a mischief but definitely the Boss too got blood on his hands

57 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why 26-year-old Photographer Was Arrested And Jailed For 10 Months - Ex Boss by Vinadesign: 8:56am On Sep 05
dollynnn:
His story does not add up. What has a suspected stolen lens got to do with this?
you can't be so sure though
Re: Why 26-year-old Photographer Was Arrested And Jailed For 10 Months - Ex Boss by Matheusmartin: 8:56am On Sep 05
Re: Why 26-year-old Photographer Was Arrested And Jailed For 10 Months - Ex Boss by sylve11: 8:57am On Sep 05
Newlymarried:

https://punchng.com/why-26-year-old-abuja-based-photographer-was-arrested-jailed-for-10-months-ex-boss/?amp
He said that after being pressured, he wrote to the Upper Area Court, Mpape in Abuja, where Nicholas was prosecuted, to stop the case, but his letter was not approved.
Previous thread https://www.nairaland.com/8200473/spent-10-months-prison-resigning

Better beating can make you confess what you're not guilty of.

Anyway, Since he's been released and he and his former employer are settling things out, then it's okay. cool

6 Likes

Re: Why 26-year-old Photographer Was Arrested And Jailed For 10 Months - Ex Boss by Makunahatata: 8:57am On Sep 05
Imagine
Re: Why 26-year-old Photographer Was Arrested And Jailed For 10 Months - Ex Boss by BluntCrazeMan: 8:57am On Sep 05
Ok..

It's good we got to read the other side of the story.

Well..
Like I commented in the other story.,, the whole thing is still getting serious k-leg.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why 26-year-old Photographer Was Arrested And Jailed For 10 Months - Ex Boss by MyExpression(m): 8:58am On Sep 05
If you thought he stole the lens, and person of dubious character, why go ahead to employ him?
And seeing the IOU inconsistencies, you didn't bar him or sack him.
Your story is not clear jare.

What's 20-50k compared to 10 months detention.

18 Likes

Re: Why 26-year-old Photographer Was Arrested And Jailed For 10 Months - Ex Boss by tommy589(m): 8:58am On Sep 05
Nicholas admitted to the interviewer he was a jailbird. Trying giving a second chance may not be a nice thing to do after noticing his flaws

2 Likes

Re: Why 26-year-old Photographer Was Arrested And Jailed For 10 Months - Ex Boss by mrkings84(m): 8:58am On Sep 05
Hmm
Re: Why 26-year-old Photographer Was Arrested And Jailed For 10 Months - Ex Boss by ECOAY: 8:59am On Sep 05
From both side, this employee is not innocent.

The fact he went to prison before for same crime makes it difficult to believe he ain't guilty.

Y'all asking what stolen lens has to do with this... Did you guys read the first story to the end? The lense issues was raised in the first story, I believe the employer is responding to that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF-57d8DPPk

4 Likes

Re: Why 26-year-old Photographer Was Arrested And Jailed For 10 Months - Ex Boss by Makunahatata: 8:59am On Sep 05
vonlogon:

I read, understood and digested everything, point is other than the stolen lens which brought them together and we didn't know how the employer discovered it was stolen, none of the other allegations warrants an incarceration.
sharap...he went to jail for the stolen lens in previous news...stop defending a thief, u must be Chukwudi

65 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why 26-year-old Photographer Was Arrested And Jailed For 10 Months - Ex Boss by PlasmaTV: 8:59am On Sep 05
Useless oga

1 Like

Re: Why 26-year-old Photographer Was Arrested And Jailed For 10 Months - Ex Boss by faithfull18(f): 9:00am On Sep 05
Na wa oh, the story doesn't add up, you knew he was klepto, yet employed him.

In other news, get the most affordable data bundles ever! See our profile.

3 Likes

Re: Why 26-year-old Photographer Was Arrested And Jailed For 10 Months - Ex Boss by TOPCRUISE(m): 9:00am On Sep 05
Good response.
That photographer can’t be trusted because his stories don’t add up. And his interviewer had to remind him on some earlier trust issues before this incident such as getting imprisoned for 6 weeks bothering on theft which he failed to mention. Besides he mentioned the last time that he was not in talking terms with his Dad, yet he did not state the reasons.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why 26-year-old Photographer Was Arrested And Jailed For 10 Months - Ex Boss by dauntless15(m): 9:00am On Sep 05
His story doesn't add up, any fool can see he's just deflecting, I see no correlation between the lens and whatever he's been incarcerated for, just a disgruntled employer trying to oppress an employee, I say this because back then when I was working for someone, he really used me to the point my self esteem dropped drastically, from the verbal abuse to the mind games to the threats, untop one paltry sum he call salary which he withholds when he feels I misbehaved, this can range from not arriving somewhere in time, not doing what he says immediately he says it, and the worst crime of all is he made me do the work of two people for one pay for months, he keeps promising he will hire someone else soon but he never did, I was the cashier, I was the secretary I was everything, when he should have hired different people for different positions he leveraged my hardworking nature to do what he likes and at the end he will still withhold my salary, working for someone in Nigeria is the perfect definition of slavery, he almost accused me of stealing when I quit as well but I was vindicated before he could even start, that was the first and last time I worked for any idiot, I've been my own boss ever since, earning online and living anyhow I want, rubbish.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why 26-year-old Photographer Was Arrested And Jailed For 10 Months - Ex Boss by money121(m): 9:01am On Sep 05
Ok
Re: Why 26-year-old Photographer Was Arrested And Jailed For 10 Months - Ex Boss by flexyrule(m): 9:01am On Sep 05
Lol

The employee Na correct shuwegbe!

E get the kind thing wey my fellow man no fit do me.

We'll die together!
Re: Why 26-year-old Photographer Was Arrested And Jailed For 10 Months - Ex Boss by NaijaSumigan: 9:02am On Sep 05
So you jailed him for insulting you straight 10 months... What jail method does the Nigerian politicians deserve.

I suppose life imprisonment Sir...

2 Likes

Re: Why 26-year-old Photographer Was Arrested And Jailed For 10 Months - Ex Boss by adabaraabdul: 9:03am On Sep 05
vonlogon:

I guess this reply is for the police not employee.
Re: Why 26-year-old Photographer Was Arrested And Jailed For 10 Months - Ex Boss by BluntCrazeMan: 9:03am On Sep 05
immortalcrown:
I will limit my judgement to the employer's claim.

How did the employer discover that the lense he bought from the employee was a stolen one?

What has the employer done about the lense? Has he reported it to the police or has he located the owner? Or, is he an accomplice (a beneficiary of theft)?

In fact, how is the story of the lense related to the arrest and the detention of the employee? Or, is the employer using that story to manipulate the public?

As for the employee being a loan defaulter and thief, it may be true or false. I expect the employer to react to the allegations.

The employer is reacting to the allegations made by the ex-employee in an earlier thread full of long stories.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why 26-year-old Photographer Was Arrested And Jailed For 10 Months - Ex Boss by Karleb(m): 9:04am On Sep 05
I don't believe this man one bit. angry

1 Like

Re: Why 26-year-old Photographer Was Arrested And Jailed For 10 Months - Ex Boss by mrkings84(m): 9:04am On Sep 05
Lifestone:

He's got no blame Sir

You and him read different thing altogether.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

When People Are Sacked From Their Jobs, Do They Get Paid? / Alhaji Dangote: Please Come To The Aid Of Your Staff Members In DISC, Osogbo. / Advice Me, I’m A Graduate, I’m Considering Learning An Handiwork

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.