Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,849 members, 7,969,552 topics. Date: Tuesday, 08 October 2024 at 09:56 AM

Beautification Of Lagos: Pains & Losses Of Petty Traders - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Beautification Of Lagos: Pains & Losses Of Petty Traders (9343 Views)

Poll: Whose side are you on?

The Bulldozers: 66% (37 votes)
The Petty Traders: 33% (19 votes)
This poll has ended

Beautification Of Goodluck Jonathan / Bukola Saraki Was Petty Thief As Of 1990 - Sahara Reporters(photos) / Beautification Of Enerhen Junction By Gov.dr. E.E Uduaghan,con (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beautification Of Lagos: Pains & Losses Of Petty Traders by almondjoy(f): 1:26am On Oct 05, 2007
Kobojunkie:

I throw my hands up on the @Laudate issue. He does not seem to get it that he does not bother to read before typing out a comeback. How do you answer comebacks that are not even remotely related to what is being discussed.

I have watched us Nigerians do this over and over. Infact I can confidently say that is the main problem in africa. We do not spend time on issues before we leap. We jump to pour sand on the roads to fix it for this minute without considering the next minute and 30 years from now and the consequences of our actions.

I do hope the new government is at least wise enough to consider the future as he works cause that has been the mistake of the past and repeating it again is just no longer acceptable by those of us who are sick and tired of the way things have been going on for decades in that place now.

I throw in the towel too! Rest well brov! Wisdom will come to those who truly seek it. See you around. sad
Re: Beautification Of Lagos: Pains & Losses Of Petty Traders by labiyemmy(m): 1:36am On Oct 05, 2007
Hypocrites. Answer me if you know you are one!

Which right thinking fellow will even argue against ridding the streets of the social menace of illegal street trading, illegal structures, illegal petty tradings etc.

These same people will put pictures of modern cities on in here and use it to criticise government for not keeping the cities clean and tidy.
Re: Beautification Of Lagos: Pains & Losses Of Petty Traders by tivva: 1:43am On Oct 05, 2007
Where do all these organizations expect fresh graduates to get the experience from?
Re: Beautification Of Lagos: Pains & Losses Of Petty Traders by dayokanu(m): 8:38am On Oct 05, 2007
People would come here and complain that Lagos is dirty and that Abuja is neat yet they complain when Lagos wants to do what Abuja did to clean up.

Why should govt stop yahoo boys and not provide a means of livelihood for them as they might resort to roberry. This is analogous to the argument above.
Why should govt wage war against crime when they have been doing it ever since and it does not work.

If you feel you can erect stalls anywhere and deface the environment, the govt too has the right to demolish your stall without any apology.
Re: Beautification Of Lagos: Pains & Losses Of Petty Traders by labiyemmy(m): 8:48am On Oct 05, 2007
@Dayokanu

Good and logical argument. Not the silly and ego centric arguments of others.
Re: Beautification Of Lagos: Pains & Losses Of Petty Traders by laudate: 11:30am On Oct 05, 2007
Kobojunkie:

I throw my hands up on the @Laudate issue. He does not seem to get it that he does not bother to read before typing out a comeback. How do you answer comebacks that are not even remotely related to what is being discussed.

I have watched us Nigerians do this over and over. Infact I can confidently say that is the main problem in africa. We do not spend time on issues before we leap. We jump to pour sand on the roads to fix it for this minute without considering the next minute and 30 years from now and the consequences of our actions. I do hope the new government is at least wise enough to consider the future as he works cause that has been the mistake of the past and repeating it again is just no longer acceptable by those of us who are sick and tired of the way things have been going on for decades in that place now.

Please throw your hands up very well o, at least in public where everyone can see them. sad

You asked questions and claimed that I attributed statements to you, that you never made. I pointed out where you had made certain comments, and where I had now raised new questions, based on those previous comments you had earlier made. I even cited places where I had made certain statements, and you had wrongly interpreted it to mean that I was quoting you. Instead of acknowledging where the misunderstanding came from, due to your wrong interpretation of my comments, you are now claiming that "Laudate does not get it". How??

You are the one that doesn't get it undecided. Didn't you study English comprehension in school? So why do you find it so difficult to understand what has been written? Why do you find it so hard to accept the fact that you made a mistake, in understanding or interpreting my comments. . . . .and then move on? Must everyone agree with you on every point? I weak o! shocked

From now on, I will reserve my comments for those who have a better grasp of the issues on ground, rather than those who waffle around, wailing that they did not say a particular thing, just because they cannot differentiate between facts, issues, and subsequent questions based on prior comments made, even after detailed explanations have been given.

A lot of folks have read my posts on this forum. And this is the first time that someone would claim that "I throw my hands up on the @Laudate issue. He does not seem to get it that he does not bother to read before typing out a comeback. How do you answer comebacks that are not even remotely related to what is being discussed."

What comeback was made, that was NOT remotely related to the issue being discussed? Was it the examples I gave, that everyone else read and understood, except you?? Or was it the reasons I gave, for sticking to my own position that street trading should be abolished? Oh well. . . .I guess there is always a first time for everything, and one has to make allowances for slow learners like you.

Don't even bother to respond, because I know you will still find it difficult to understand all I have just written.
Re: Beautification Of Lagos: Pains & Losses Of Petty Traders by laudate: 11:51am On Oct 05, 2007
dayokanu:

People would come here and complain that Lagos is dirty and that Abuja is neat yet they complain when Lagos wants to do what Abuja did to clean up.

Why should govt stop yahoo boys and not provide a means of livelihood for them as they might resort to roberry. This is analogous to the argument above.
Why should govt wage war against crime when they have been doing it ever since and it does not work.

If you feel you can erect stalls anywhere and deface the environment, the govt too has the right to demolish your stall without any apology.

Ah omo, this was similar to the line of reasoning I took, when I disagreed with the concept of govt. providing shops for street traders who had displayed their wares on roads, highways and railway tracks, because it would be like rewarding bad/wrong behaviour.

Some of them might start thinking " ah. . .all I have to do is set up shop anywhere on the street and start selling, or just line the railway tracks with my wares, because I know that soon in order to get rid of me, govt. will give me a stall once they see me on the streets, hawking or selling my wares." It could set up a bad precedent.

So even though I share your sentiments, I must tell you it won't go down well with some people in here. So I have decided to hold my peace.
Re: Beautification Of Lagos: Pains & Losses Of Petty Traders by Kobojunkie: 12:01pm On Oct 05, 2007
tivva:

Where do all these organizations expect fresh graduates to get the experience from?

What Organizations do you mean ?? @Tivva
Re: Beautification Of Lagos: Pains & Losses Of Petty Traders by almondjoy(f): 12:11pm On Oct 05, 2007
@labiyemmy:

@Dayokanu

Good and logical argument. Not the silly and ego centric arguments of others.

One will think that with all your grey hairs on your head, you will act like a mature human being.  Unfortunately, as the saying goes--a fool at 40 is a fool for ever.  No hope for Nigeria then!  What do we expect from area fathers "Adedibu"  look- alikes such as your kind? undecided Please act your age and not your shoe size! angry

Remember Nigeria is 47 years old!!!!
Re: Beautification Of Lagos: Pains & Losses Of Petty Traders by almondjoy(f): 12:18pm On Oct 05, 2007
laudate:

Ah omo, this was similar to the line of reasoning I took, when I disagreed with the concept of govt. providing shops for street traders who had displayed their wares on roads, highways and railway tracks, because it would be like rewarding bad/wrong behaviour.

Some of them might start thinking " ah. . .all I have to do is set up shop anywhere on the street and start selling, or just line the railway tracks with my wares, because I know that soon in order to get rid of me, govt. will give me a stall once they see me on the streets, hawking or selling my wares." It could set up a bad precedent.

So even though I share your sentiments, I must tell you it won't go down well with some people in here. So I have decided to hold my peace.

No, it will go down well with some of us only if you answer the questions posed to you.  Having slept well last night, I feel I can address this matter as I feel strongly about it.

If you observe closely--we are all saying the same thing.  The only problem is that people like you refuse to propose long term solutions and alternatives for what is not working at the moment.  This is where we have the main disagreement.

Yes--the street traders are wrong.  But how do we fix this problem on the long run so we can have streets like mine in "San Francisco"? tongue  Instead you want to say you care about the welfare and safety of the street traders while you propose taking away their means of livelihood in the same breath. 

When you care about a person--you do not choose what aspects you want to care about--you take care of the whole being to the best of your ability.  That is the function of a "working" government.

@Laudate

Let us get past that and see if we can move on from our "stuttering" argument for a while. Just for the records, what do you advocate as long term solutions for the menace of street trading in Nigeria, not just "beautiful Eko"?
Re: Beautification Of Lagos: Pains & Losses Of Petty Traders by Kobojunkie: 12:19pm On Oct 05, 2007
Oh @AlmondJoy, Don't let such things get to you. This is one thing I have learnt in my days as a Nigerian. When you get on the case of those who do not seem to understand it is time to do things the right way, they hold on to the mentality that everyone else is wrong and they are right even when they are sinking and fast too. This is a forum and if you have noticed so far, not a SINGLE fact has been shoved our way from their side of the talks and they in the end resorted to insults and moving from the main topic , THE OLD, YOU ARE NOT A GOOD NIGERIAN CAUSE YOU DO NOT SAY YES TO EVERYTHING THAT IS PUSHED  YOUR WAY move, the OLD UNDERDOG and HERO Moves, I know we have a made a point here and I believe and hope the new man in lagos does the right thing by the people, if not for others but at least for his legacy.
Re: Beautification Of Lagos: Pains & Losses Of Petty Traders by almondjoy(f): 12:33pm On Oct 05, 2007
Thanks Kogojunkie.

I was particularly offended when I viewed this "labbiyemmy" of a fellow's profile. When he should serve as a voice of reason to the youths here.  Here he is acting like an uncouth octogenarian--in the true OBJ or Fashola prototype.  With old ideas like this, how can we progress in Nigeria? undecided  Like the old rascals in Nigeria or Nairaland steering us to the part of an "oncoming train" which most here are interpreting as a "light at the end of the tunnel", here is this one--"labbiyemmy" again doing just that!

Please we need fresh ideas and solutions not stale mates!

Kobojunkie:

Oh @AlmondJoy, Don't let such things get to you. This is one thing I have learnt in my days as a Nigerian. When you get on the case of those who do not seem to understand it is time to do things the right way, they hold on to the mentality that everyone else is wrong and they are right even when they are sinking and fast too.

This is a forum and if you have noticed so far, not a SINGLE fact has been shoved our way from their side of the talks and they in the end resorted to insults and moving from the main topic , THE OLD, YOU ARE NOT A GOOD NIGERIAN CAUSE YOU DO NOT SAY YES TO EVERYTHING THAT IS PUSHED  YOUR WAY move, the OLD UNDERDOG and HERO Moves, I know we have a made a point here and[b] I believe and hope the new man in lagos does the right thing by the people, if not for others but at least for his legacy. [/b]

Thank you once again.  I notice that we are always stuck on subjects when we fail to use our brains to think of solutions.  The reason history keeps repeating itself.  We never learn from past mistakes.  Why?  Because the youths are not given the chance to implement innovative thinking.  So we are stuck with this "barrack" mentality of old school politics as the world moves light years away from us.  Only Africans will take actions without thinking of the future or long term solutions!  Always sticking to archaic blueprints of failure!
Re: Beautification Of Lagos: Pains & Losses Of Petty Traders by Kobojunkie: 1:06pm On Oct 05, 2007
Now that you mentioned OBJ, I can't believe that dude messed up as he did. I mean I really expected him to really do a lot for that country and I remember a lot of us were optimistic that he would, and the dude didn't even do much. I mean he could have singlehandedly changed one aspect of the nigerian life if he had wanted to; end corruption in governmental offices; overhaul and rebuild the educational system to bring it to today's standard; revamp the transportation sector, to help boost life and the economy through commerce in that way, I mean he could have at least taken on one area and dealt with it to the last but no. Now when he is in the papers, it is the same old political game all over again, people insulting him and calling him names and so on.

About the post earlier on the educational system, I was going to comment but forgot to. Spending 500 naira on thousands of schools is going to get us back to exactly where we are today in a couple of years, say a year or two. Why can't we instead put that money to revamping the whole system as a whole. I mean instead of more jakande classes, why not Build with that same money, this year, 10 or 20 World class Schools, equipped with what the students actually need. Buildings that 30 years from now will still be standing and good as new, and then we continue that way revamping schools as we go from LGA TO LGA,
Re: Beautification Of Lagos: Pains & Losses Of Petty Traders by birdman(m): 1:24pm On Oct 05, 2007
i have to scratch my head on this one. Its like we want Nigeria to develop, but we dont want to put in the work. Enough with the "if only govt. had done this, i wouldnt do that" mentality. Haba, we are not animals. Bulldozers shouldnt be necessary because people should have the common sense not to just set up shop ON THE ROAD.

@Ndipe, you see how clean and organised Cali is right? Wouldnt you like for your home country to be like this some day, or do you think Cali magically became organised one day angry
Re: Beautification Of Lagos: Pains & Losses Of Petty Traders by almondjoy(f): 1:39pm On Oct 05, 2007
@Kobojunkie

That OBJ matter is for God to solve.  We are now saddled with the proceeds of his 3rd term agenda by proxy.  Yaradua and Jonathan.  See what is going on with the Ibori scandal.  Because Ibori and his cohorts put this "agoyin" Attorney general up there, we now have to accept that "Ibori" is a sacred cow.  All as a result of the manipulatons of OBJ and his legacies!  How long will these "agoyin" people keep ruling us?  Some people think the "scenic beautification of Lagos" takes precedence over the socio-economic wellbeing of Lagosians.  When you have schools without windows and rooftops as post graduate institutions.  Go figure!

Now some well adjusted citizens of Nigeria are considering IBB as a guest speaker and award recipient.  You know what?  I do not know what to think sometimes.  I just can't understand why we keep rewarding bad behaviour--always!

birdman:

i have to scratch my head on this one. Its like we want Nigeria to develop, but we don't want to put in the work. Enough with the "if only govt. had done this, i wouldnt do that" mentality. Haba, we are not animals. Bulldozers shouldnt be necessary because people should have the common sense not to just set up shop ON THE ROAD.

@Ndipe, you see how clean and organised Cali is right? Wouldnt you like for your home country to be like this some day, or do you think Cali magically became organised one day angry

Yeah!  We have been scratching our heads too for the last 4-5 pages of this thread and I think we got stuck on the "solutions" phase. Please do not drag us back. undecided  Enough the parabolic ballads.  What solutions do you have to propose so the street traders do not come back?
Re: Beautification Of Lagos: Pains & Losses Of Petty Traders by Kobojunkie: 1:48pm On Oct 05, 2007
I just one question about the IBB issue, why is that man still alive
Re: Beautification Of Lagos: Pains & Losses Of Petty Traders by almondjoy(f): 2:46pm On Oct 05, 2007
Kobojunkie:

I just one question about the IBB issue, why is that man still alive

Because he is "God" in Nigeria! cheesy The fear of all Nigerians. Just one man allowed to breed more crooks around Nigeria and hold everyone at ransom.
Re: Beautification Of Lagos: Pains & Losses Of Petty Traders by laudate: 2:51pm On Oct 05, 2007
almondjoy:

No, it will go down well with some of us only if you answer the questions posed to you.  Having slept well last night, I feel I can address this matter as I feel strongly about it.

If you observe closely--we are all saying the same thing.  The only problem is that people like you refuse to propose long term solutions and alternatives for what is not working at the moment.  This is where we have the main disagreement.

Yes--the street traders are wrong.  But how do we fix this problem on the long run so we can have streets like mine in "San Francisco"? tongue  Instead you want to say you care about the welfare and safety of the street traders while you propose taking away their means of livelihood in the same breath.  

When you care about a person--you do not choose what aspects you want to care about--you take care of the whole being to the best of your ability.  That is the function of a "working" government.

@Laudate

Let us get past that and see if we can move on from our "stuttering" argument for a while. Just for the records, what do you advocate as long term solutions for the menace of street trading in Nigeria, not just "beautiful Eko"?

Almondjoy, I have always answered questions posed to me. Right from the beginning of this thread. My suggestions initially were:

1). Let the traders get off the streets and go to other markets where stalls or shops are cheaper, in order to continue their trade. Not all markets in Lagos, have very expensive shops.; Please refer to my post « #41 on: October 03, 2007, 02:21 PM » undecided

2). Let the traders make use of open spaces within the markets, to display their wares, instead of ignoring such spaces & heading for the roads. I remember giving the example of Aswani market in my previous post; Again, please go to post no. « #41 on: October 03, 2007, 02:21 PM ». It is in there. Also check post no. « #91 on: October 03, 2007, 06:42 PM » for another example.

3). Try & enforce sanctions that would compel people to change their behaviour. Arrest 'buyers' as a deterrent. I know it sounds drastic, but it would stop most folks in their tracks, if they know they are likely to be arrested for patronising street traders. Without buyers, there would be no sellers. This was stated in post no. « #35 on: October 03, 2007, 12:21 PM ». sad

4). This is a new suggestion - local govt. councils should encourage people at the grassroots level to think of other sources of livelihood. Not everyone needs to be a trader. Some do it, just because they see others doing it, not because they have the skills or motivation to get involved in it. From hair-dressing, to pepper-grinding, cake-baking, gardening, child-care or nanny services, tailoring, laundry or washerman services, cookery, janitorial services, etc. - there are lots of other areas people can tap, to make money. Such local govt. councils can hold rallies or host entrepreneurship classes, that would give people enough information about business opportunities. They can partner with radio stations and local media to publicise such info. The old People's bank and NDE schemes released such businesses info. regularly, and made cheap funds available to school leavers as well as retirees, so that they could set up small-scale businesses. But what happened at the end of the day? Many people collected the money, some diverted it to personal use, while others squandered it or couldn't pay back. Very few, actually made use of it in a sensible manner. Now the bank has gone under and the NDE scheme is comatose. cry

5). Someone mentioned farming, and other people laughed. Dcdal said it clearly in his post no. « #65 on: October 03, 2007, 03:58 PM & post no. #70 on: October 03, 2007, 04:26 PM . In several cities in the world, farming is a good way of earning an income. From growing vegetables in your backyard, to snail rearing, poultry-keeping and fish farming, people have found ways to make ends meet by engaging in agricultural activities. New agricultural methods exist, that can give higher yields of products. But a lot of people look down on such suggestions. Maybe they feel they would earn more money from street trading, than poultry-rearing or other farming activities. sad How would I know?

6). Eko cannot be made' beautiful', if we allow every nook and corner to be turned into a street market. Already, previous govt. agencies have convinced some banks and multi-national companies to adopt various round-abouts, street corners & open fields, and turn them into recreational parks or beautifully landscaped gardens. I believe this is still going on, and would help in no small measure to turn various parts of Lagos into a decent environment.
Re: Beautification Of Lagos: Pains & Losses Of Petty Traders by Kobojunkie: 3:08pm On Oct 05, 2007
almondjoy:

Because he is "God" in Nigeria! cheesy The fear of all Nigerians. Just one man allowed to breed more crooks around Nigeria and hold everyone at ransom.

I don't understand how after what he did, we could allow such a person to come back to SPEAK or even breath?? I suspect that if Abacha were still alive, he would have also be in the news and people would not do anything!!
Re: Beautification Of Lagos: Pains & Losses Of Petty Traders by almondjoy(f): 3:15pm On Oct 05, 2007
That is to tell you the kind of people we are.  That we fold our hands and continue to eat shit!  Even when we are not fed shit--we beg to eat it.  Don't foget that the IBB boys are still at large--beautifying Lagos for lack of other "pressing" things to do.

We deserve what we get for the most part.
IBB should not even be in Nigeria as soon as he left office, if he ever left! Exiled-only to spare his life! Yet he is ruling from his Minna Top Mansion and still causing havoc in Nigeria with his fellow Osamas! Nigerians are trooping there in droves for sustenance!
Re: Beautification Of Lagos: Pains & Losses Of Petty Traders by Kobojunkie: 3:26pm On Oct 05, 2007
I believe in the very end. Nigerians who are in there and abroad will have to fix the country themselves. I mean we already read news of more loans being acquired from other countries and I can't help but wonder and hope that the money be spent well this time to actually do things better and not continue with the old ways and somehow expect to catch up with the rest of the world.

Nigeria is now a shadow of it's old self and the people are to blame in some part. We now have democracy and it will do us good to leanr how it works so we can use it to our advantage.
Re: Beautification Of Lagos: Pains & Losses Of Petty Traders by almondjoy(f): 3:35pm On Oct 05, 2007
As you can see, the money will be used in the "beautification" of Lagos, and bulldozing of structures all over Nigeria to create more of a refuse nation.

Don't hold your breath on that one.  Just sit back and enjoy the concept of the recurring "domestic tragedy" our country called Nigeria.  You do not want to end up like Dele Giwa, Ken Saro Wiwa, Fela, Bola Ige and the only living one Gani--do you? undecided

We can only keep praying for Jah or Moha to send us the "messiah"!
Re: Beautification Of Lagos: Pains & Losses Of Petty Traders by labiyemmy(m): 3:46pm On Oct 05, 2007
almondjoy:

One will think that with all your grey hairs on your head, you will act like a mature human being. Unfortunately, as the saying goes--a fool at 40 is a fool for ever. No hope for Nigeria then! What do we expect from area fathers "Adedibu" look- alikes such as your kind? undecided Please act your age and not your shoe size! angry

Remember Nigeria is 47 years old!!!!

The papa wey born you for this world na im you dey refer to.
Re: Beautification Of Lagos: Pains & Losses Of Petty Traders by laudate: 4:00pm On Oct 05, 2007
birdman:

i have to scratch my head on this one. Its like we want Nigeria to develop, but we don't want to put in the work. Enough with the "if only govt. had done this, i wouldnt do that" mentality. Haba, we are not animals. Bulldozers shouldnt be necessary because people should have the common sense not to just set up shop ON THE ROAD.

Wa'sere, my guy! May you live long! Thank you for telling it like it is! wink Na di thing wey we don dey talk since be that! Abeg, am tired of repeating myself. . . . .
Re: Beautification Of Lagos: Pains & Losses Of Petty Traders by Kobojunkie: 4:26pm On Oct 05, 2007
almondjoy:

As you can see, the money will be used in the "beautification" of Lagos, and bulldozing of structures all over Nigeria to create more of a refuse nation.

Don't hold your breath on that one.  Just sit back and enjoy the concept of the recurring "domestic tragedy" our country called Nigeria.  You do not want to end up like Dele Giwa, Ken Saro Wiwa, Fela, Bola Ige and the only living one Gani--do you? undecided

We can only keep praying for Jah or Moha to send us the "messiah"!

I believe God has answered Nigeria's prayers over and over and over. Prayer is not what we need. We need to get our act together and do work. Actually use the brains and the hands and feet God has given us and put them to use to help ourselves and even africa as a whole. The problems in Nigeria  are VERY VERY SIMPLE. I mean it is so simple my head hurts when I think why we do not just deal with them as is, instead of trying to create more holes with our actions.
Re: Beautification Of Lagos: Pains & Losses Of Petty Traders by almondjoy(f): 4:41pm On Oct 05, 2007
@labiyemmy:

The papa wey born you for this world na im you dey refer to.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Thanks!  No need to get personal! wink Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez!

Kobojunkie:

I believe God has answered Nigeria's prayers over and over and over. Prayer is not what we need. We need to get our act together and do work. Actually use the brains and the hands and feet God has given us and put them to use to help ourselves and even africa as a whole. The problems in Nigeria  are VERY VERY SIMPLE. I mean it is so simple my head hurts when I think why we do not just deal with them as is, instead of trying to create more holes with our actions.

You think so? undecided The polls up there are in favor of "bulldozing" without solutions.  So let us drink to more bulldozing anniveraries! grin  I think we are in for a long and hard road to travel.
Re: Beautification Of Lagos: Pains & Losses Of Petty Traders by Kobojunkie: 4:43pm On Oct 05, 2007
cheesy grin cheesy grin grin cheesy grin cheesy

ROMBL

I am not miffed if we still are not ready for the big change. I mean we already think cause we have cell phones, computers, internet service means we are in league with the rest of the world but the reality is we are decades behind even south africa and we need to step up to the plate already and at least take care of the basics once and for all.
Re: Beautification Of Lagos: Pains & Losses Of Petty Traders by almondjoy(f): 4:52pm On Oct 05, 2007
laudate:

Almondjoy, I have always answered questions posed to me. Right from the beginning of this thread. My suggestions initially were:

1). Let the traders get off the streets and go to other markets where stalls or shops are cheaper, in order to continue their trade. Not all markets in Lagos, have very expensive shops.; Please refer to my post « #41 on: October 03, 2007, 02:21 PM » undecided

2). Let the traders make use of open spaces within the markets, to display their wares, instead of ignoring such spaces & heading for the roads. I remember giving the example of Aswani market in my previous post; Again, please go to post no. « #41 on: October 03, 2007, 02:21 PM ». It is in there. Also check post no. « #91 on: October 03, 2007, 06:42 PM » for another example.

3). Try & enforce sanctions that would compel people to change their behaviour. Arrest 'buyers' as a deterrent. I know it sounds drastic, but it would stop most folks in their tracks, if they know they are likely to be arrested for patronising street traders. Without buyers, there would be no sellers. This was stated in post no. « #35 on: October 03, 2007, 12:21 PM ». sad

4). This is a new suggestion - local govt. councils should encourage people at the grassroots level to think of other sources of livelihood. Not everyone needs to be a trader. Some do it, just because they see others doing it, not because they have the skills or motivation to get involved in it. From hair-dressing, to pepper-grinding, cake-baking, gardening, child-care or nanny services, tailoring, laundry or washerman services, cookery, janitorial services, etc. - there are lots of other areas people can tap, to make money. Such local govt. councils can hold rallies or host entrepreneurship classes, that would give people enough information about business opportunities. They can partner with radio stations and local media to publicise such info.

The old People's bank and NDE schemes released such businesses info. regularly, and made cheap funds available to school leavers as well as retirees, so that they could set up small-scale businesses. But what happened at the end of the day? Many people collected the money, some diverted it to personal use, while others squandered it or couldn't pay back. Very few, actually made use of it in a sensible manner. Now the bank has gone under and the NDE scheme is comatose. cry

5). Someone mentioned farming, and other people laughed. Dcdal said it clearly in his post no. « #65 on: October 03, 2007, 03:58 PM & post no. #70 on: October 03, 2007, 04:26 PM . In several cities in the world, farming is a good way of earning an income. From growing vegetables in your backyard, to snail rearing, poultry-keeping and fish farming, people have found ways to make ends meet by engaging in agricultural activities. New agricultural methods exist, that can give higher yields of products. But a lot of people look down on such suggestions. Maybe they feel they would earn more money from street trading, than poultry-rearing or other farming activities. sad How would I know?

6). Eko cannot be made' beautiful', if we allow every nook and corner to be turned into a street market. Already, previous govt. agencies have convinced some banks and multi-national companies to adopt various round-abouts, street corners & open fields, and turn them into recreational parks or beautifully landscaped gardens. I believe this is still going on, and would help in no small measure to turn various parts of Lagos into a decent environment.

Okay!  Thanks for providing us with a revised copy.   Now what is the government's responsiblities if the traders are to do most of the "revamping"--Strictly bulldozing privileges? undecided

These street hawkers had alternatives to display their wares and chose to hang around oshodi-express way or other streets in Nigeria?  How many states in Nigeria have cosmopolitan cities?  Why do you think Lagos is congested?

Farming--where? Do you know that farming is highly subsidized by the government in foreign countries as incentives to keep that sector afloat?  In Nigeria, you cannot guarantee a decent steady supply of power or storage facilities for perishable goods and you are talking of farming? undecided

Gosh!  This problem is more complicated than I envisaged! sad

Is there any other way to shout that the "government" is responsible for the needs of it's citizens? shocked

1 Like

Re: Beautification Of Lagos: Pains & Losses Of Petty Traders by laudate: 5:09pm On Oct 05, 2007
almondjoy:

You think so? undecided The polls up there are in favor of "bulldozing" without solutions.  So let us drink to more bulldozing anniveraries! grin I think we are in for a long and hard road to travel.

Why do you feel that those in favour of bulldozing, simply believe in "bulldozing without solutions?" Does it mean that those who are sympathetic to the "traders" plight, believe street trading, is the only way for people to make ends meet? These are my own questions. We can debate endlessly on govt. providing alternative shopping outlets, like has been done in the past to some category of traders. . . . .did it solve the problem? Spare parts traders were relocated from Lawanson to Iyana Itire in Lagos, by govt.  Did it solve the problem of street trading? Another set of traders dealing in a different category of goods, sprang up in Lawanson to replace those that had been relocated to another site.

Central Lagos island is another example. When it was felt that Idumota & co. was getting too congested, the shop owners there, were relocated to Alaba & Trade Fair site, along Ojo-Badagry Expressway by govt. Did it solve the congestion associated with Idumota? Please someone should take a trip down there and give us a situation report.

Those who think stalls on the streets should be removed, have seen 1st hand the risks or havoc of street trading, and the wahala it causes. They live with it ,and experience the chaos, hour-long traffic jams, filth and risks associated with it, on a daily basis.

Those far removed from the madding crowd, are likely to have a different view or hold a far more sympathetic perspective, since they are not on the receiving end of the wahala caused by street trading, or have not seen at close quarters,  the risks involved.
Re: Beautification Of Lagos: Pains & Losses Of Petty Traders by Kobojunkie: 5:21pm On Oct 05, 2007
almondjoy:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

You think so? undecided The polls up there are in favor of "bulldozing" without solutions. So let us drink to more bulldozing anniveraries! grin I think we are in for a long and hard road to travel.
I have seen it happen over and over. I mean the debating of ideas as is going on as we speak in many homes around the country and at the end, we seem to follow the same old trail cause we do not seem to be moving ahead. I think and believe we are running out of time, I mean if you ask me, this is the best time for Nigeria to basically charge at this catch up game with all we have and can get . We are getting loans once again from WB and other places, If I had a say I would suggest we immediately focus on key changes that need to be made and basically not stop until we solve that issue and then move on to the next. We are fortunate that we no longer live in a world were we can claim an issue is unique in anyway. Other countries have already dealt with these same problems and triumphed, all we have to do is not go back and make the same mistakes over and over but basically take the final solution and then apply it. In this case, I do not only see the streets of the city in possible jeopardy, I see the states economy and the fate of thousands of kids in jeopardy as well and the best solution would be one that does not just focus on resolving the one situation but actually provides a solution for all other issues that may possibly arise from the move to change things.
Re: Beautification Of Lagos: Pains & Losses Of Petty Traders by almondjoy(f): 5:30pm On Oct 05, 2007
laudate:

Why do you feel that those in favour of bulldozing, simply believe in "bulldozing without solutions?" Does it mean that those who are sympathetic to the "traders" plight, believe street trading, is the only way for people to make ends meet? These are my own questions.

We can debate endlessly on govt. providing alternative shopping outlets, like has been done in the past to some category of traders. . . . .did it solve the problem? Spare parts traders were relocated from Lawanson to Iyana Itire in Lagos, by govt.  Did it solve the problem of street trading? Another set of traders dealing in a different category of goods, sprang up in Lawanson to replace those that had been relocated to another site.

Central Lagos island is another example. When it was felt that Idumota & co. was getting too congested, the shop owners there, were relocated to Alaba & Trade Fair site, along Ojo-Badagry Expressway by govt. Did it solve the congestion associated with Idumota? Please someone should take a trip down there and give us a situation report.

Those who think stalls on the streets should be removed, have seen 1st hand the risks or havoc of street trading, and the wahala it causes. They live with it ,and experience the chaos, hour-long traffic jams, filth and risks associated with it, on a daily basis.

Those far removed from the madding crowd, are likely to have a different view or hold a far more sympathetic perspective, since they are not on the receiving end of the wahala caused by street trading, or have not seen at close quarters,  the risks involved.

What are the causes of all these problems?  You see you only mentioned Lagos?  I know if the government were to provide for the ordinary citizens like it caters to the "Dangotes and Adeniyis" of Nigeria--Lagos will not need beautifcation.  They do not have to sweat to "display" their "goods" do they? So tell me with all the wealth in Nigeria--why is Lagos congested?

Shortage of amenities.  Instead of our government officials to provide adequate housing and business centers since nothing is privatized, they are busy looting and stealing.  Take America for example, no state has it all.  Why--it was planned that way. Right now as we speak--America is going through a "real estate" crises. Why? Too many houses--no one buying. More are still being built mark you! Even people with economic problems are getting rid of their houses. See? More than enough to go round. In Nigeria,we all have to flock to "almighty" beautiful Lagos and Abuja!

See Great Britain whom Nigeria just love to emulate has started looking for ways to decongest London. More strip malls being built, flyovers replacing 2 lane roads where the royal family loved to ride their horses through.  They are changing tactics and providing more alternatives for the citizens so you do not have to be stuck in the "London Fog"!

But in Nigeria, we only have Lagos, Onitsha, Aba, and maybe Ibadan.  Now in a country of 36 states, Lagos is the only congested area--why?  Because that is a business hub.  Other areas buzz because of "oil" not "trading".

So you see "bulldozing of structures" are the least of our problems.  We will keep bulldozing till pigs fly!!!!!!!
Re: Beautification Of Lagos: Pains & Losses Of Petty Traders by almondjoy(f): 5:43pm On Oct 05, 2007
Kobojunkie:

I have seen it happen over and over. I mean the debating of ideas as is going on as we speak in many homes around the country and at the end, we seem to follow the same old trail cause we do not seem to be moving ahead. I think and believe we are running out of time, I mean if you ask me, this is the best time for Nigeria to basically charge at this catch up game with all we have and can get .

We are getting loans once again from WB and other places, If I had a say I would suggest we immediately focus on key changes that need to be made and basically not stop until we solve that issue and then move on to the next. We are fortunate that we no longer live in a world were we can claim an issue is unique in anyway. Other countries have already dealt with these same problems and triumphed, all we have to do is not go back and make the same mistakes over and over but basically take the final solution and then apply it.

In this case, I do not only see the streets of the city in possible jeopardy, I see the states economy and the fate of thousands of kids in jeopardy as well and the best solution would be one that does not just focus on resolving the one situation but actually provides a solution for all other issues that may possibly arise from the move to change things.

I am glad that someone understands.  I say lets drink to more bulldozing contracts.  Infact, I am already looking for some discounted tractors and cranes to supply the governor of Lagos state to keep up his project. grin  It is going to be happy bulldozing for Fashola's next 8 years! kiss As the poll shows, if you can't beat them--join them.  I really will hate to lose all ways.  Please Laudate and Kobojunkie--hook me up with Fashola so I can get a "bulldozing" contract. cheesy

The beautification exercise in Lagows is going to turn Lagos into a quagmire of refuse! I will like to help in that area since it is what is desired by the "majority'. tongue More street trading and blocked roadways.  More health hazards, more deaths.   Meanwhile no hospitals oh! Even if Fashola decides to beautify only Ikorodu road in the next 8 years, what of the next governor--knowing that continuity in Nigeria is never an end game--Dead on Arrival projects--DOA! Or like they say in Nigeria BID projects--Brought In Dead!!!!  Look at Onitsha--where pigs outnumber humans in a so-called market! All for half and half bulldozing mess!  No drainage, no storage, no containment of refuse or disposal system.  I think I need to tender a proposal to beautify Onitsha too!  Any Biafrans in the house? cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Who Is Better At Leadership? GEJ Or Yar'adua. / Ugwuanyi Visits Victims Of New Haven Fire Outbreak / PTAD Commences Payment Of The Consequential Pension Increment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 158
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.