Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,204,076 members, 7,987,812 topics. Date: Monday, 28 October 2024 at 05:26 PM

Hippolite Amadi's Dedication To Babies Exploited By Nigerian Hospital Leadership - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Hippolite Amadi's Dedication To Babies Exploited By Nigerian Hospital Leadership (7465 Views)

Beautiful Lady Shows Off The Lovely Meals She Got At A Nigerian Hospital / Hippolite Amadi Wins $100,000 Prize For Work In Keeping Newborns Alive / How My Tooth Was Extracted (removed) In A Nigerian Hospital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hippolite Amadi's Dedication To Babies Exploited By Nigerian Hospital Leadership by AnonPoet: 4:44pm On Oct 23
Professor Hippolite Amadi's Dedication to Premature Babies Exploited by Nigerian Hospital Leadership

This may sound like another story of a Nigerian in the diaspora who trusted friends or relatives to manage his hard-earned investments in Nigeria, only to discover he had been swindled.

However, this story goes beyond such a familiar scenario.
Professor Hippolite Amadi, an internationally recognized expert in neonatal care, has been left on the brink of financial collapse after his efforts to help save premature babies in Nigeria were callously exploited by the Chief Medical Director of a federal medical center in Owerri.

Professor Amadi, who has dedicated his life to developing life-saving technology for premature infants, took out a loan of £98,000 (about N82.3 million) to equip a neonatal care unit at the Federal Medical Centre Owerri (FMCO).

Despite completing the project in May 2022 and the unit being operational for over 30 months, the hospital has yet to pay him a single kobo for his work, leaving him in debt of nearly £175,000.

Professor Hippolite Amadi’s passion for neonatal care stems from his engineering background.

Educated in Nigeria, Amadi had long recognized the lack of suitable incubators and equipment designed for Nigeria’s climate, which led to the high mortality rate among premature babies. His dream was to create cost-effective and sustainable neonatal solutions tailored to Nigeria’s needs.

Despite early resistance from local hospital administrators, who favored importing expensive foreign equipment, Amadi persevered.

After gaining global recognition and expertise through his work at Imperial College London, he established the Neonatal Concerns for Africa Organisation and worked tirelessly to reduce neonatal mortality across Nigeria and other developing countries.

Professor Amadi’s goodwill and dedication to saving lives were manipulated by Dr. Kingsley Achigbu, the Chief Medical Director of FMCO.

Despite having successfully collaborated with previous medical directors, Amadi faced deceit when Dr. Achigbu persuaded him to refurbish and expand the hospital’s Special Care Unit for premature babies.

Amadi designed and directed the construction of a new neonatal unit at FMCO, securing funds to equip it through a personal loan.

Upon completion, Dr. Achigbu assured him that payment would be made within four weeks. However, after the unit’s unveiling and CNN’s coverage of the project, FMCO failed to honor its financial obligations.

Despite numerous petitions to the Federal Ministry of Health and other government bodies, Professor Amadi’s appeals for payment have been ignored. Attempts to recoup funds have been met with silence or token efforts, leaving him facing mounting debts while the neonatal unit, which he funded, continues to operate without compensation.

Professor Amadi’s case raises alarming questions about how Nigeria treats its diaspora professionals who invest in the country’s development. He has been forced to endure extreme financial hardship, while the hospital enjoys the benefits of his work.

As Professor Amadi struggles to repay a loan taken to help save Nigerian babies, the question remains: Is this how Nigeria rewards its patriots? The international community and concerned Nigerians must demand that FMCO and the Federal Ministry of Health rectify this injustice and pay the debts owed to Professor Amadi for his selfless service to the nation.
https://www.legit.ng/nigeria/1620937-professor-hippolite-amadis-dedication-premature-babies-exploited-by-nigerian-hospital-leadership/

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hippolite Amadi's Dedication To Babies Exploited By Nigerian Hospital Leadership by jaidrizzy: 4:48pm On Oct 23
God help us in this country

1 Like

Re: Hippolite Amadi's Dedication To Babies Exploited By Nigerian Hospital Leadership by Talkt2Tee: 4:48pm On Oct 23
Sometimes this country just breaks your heart

8 Likes

Re: Hippolite Amadi's Dedication To Babies Exploited By Nigerian Hospital Leadership by atobs4real(m): 4:49pm On Oct 23
Sense is not common among humans.
Re: Hippolite Amadi's Dedication To Babies Exploited By Nigerian Hospital Leadership by Thundafireseun: 4:49pm On Oct 23
Its sincerely very difficult to do business in Nigeria…

1 Like

Re: Hippolite Amadi's Dedication To Babies Exploited By Nigerian Hospital Leadership by atobs4real(m): 4:49pm On Oct 23
Working for the vulture
Working for the vulture.
Factory reset will follow
They have thought a lesson in the mother land
Re: Hippolite Amadi's Dedication To Babies Exploited By Nigerian Hospital Leadership by Gbadugbakun(m): 4:49pm On Oct 23
The average Nigerian is a thief. Know this and have peace.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hippolite Amadi's Dedication To Babies Exploited By Nigerian Hospital Leadership by Kelklein(m): 4:50pm On Oct 23
We need to be asking the right questions o..

So many things didn't add up in the report above.

If I understand correctly, someone went to take a loan from a foreign bank in dollars to equip a government-owned Hospital in Nigeria.. under an arrangement that he would be paid back..?!.! I'm not very conversant with the procurement laws in Nigeria but is that even legal.. I thought every government expenditure MUST pass through a budgetary process.. Did he do this and expect that it would be inputted in the budget afterwards..?! Where did he expect the payment to come from, the Hospital purse or by the government?! Was there an MOU to this effect before carrying out the equipping?!
From the little I know, every government procurement is done with the money already on ground, and it's usually through an open bidding or Government Tender processes.

Most people that do projects like this usually do it as a donation out of freewill or sponsored by an NGO or Business interest..

Why didn't he do this with a Private Paediatric Hospital in Owerri. I'm sure there are standard Privately owned Paediatric Hospitals in that Place.. or better still liase with one to set up a standard Paediatric Unit in that Private Hospital, where he would be a co-owner with 83million Naira.

There are just so many things not adding up in this case.

18 Likes

Re: Hippolite Amadi's Dedication To Babies Exploited By Nigerian Hospital Leadership by maasoap(m): 4:51pm On Oct 23
It is a sorry case but this is still one sided story. The public can be easily misled
Re: Hippolite Amadi's Dedication To Babies Exploited By Nigerian Hospital Leadership by Afrowits: 4:52pm On Oct 23
This will somehow discourage some people from coming to Naija to invest in Government establishment

1 Like

Re: Hippolite Amadi's Dedication To Babies Exploited By Nigerian Hospital Leadership by Mindlog: 4:52pm On Oct 23
Really disheartening.
Re: Hippolite Amadi's Dedication To Babies Exploited By Nigerian Hospital Leadership by Offpoint1: 4:54pm On Oct 23
angry
Re: Hippolite Amadi's Dedication To Babies Exploited By Nigerian Hospital Leadership by Babalegba(m): 4:55pm On Oct 23
atobs4real:
Especially Nigerians
Re: Hippolite Amadi's Dedication To Babies Exploited By Nigerian Hospital Leadership by armadeo(m): 4:55pm On Oct 23
Who invests in Nigeria again ? When you're not in total control of the enterprise.
Re: Hippolite Amadi's Dedication To Babies Exploited By Nigerian Hospital Leadership by Quelme: 4:56pm On Oct 23
The devil is a Nigerian.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hippolite Amadi's Dedication To Babies Exploited By Nigerian Hospital Leadership by kenben: 4:58pm On Oct 23
So Professor Hipolite Amadi took a loan to invest in an already existing Nigerian hospital in the hopes of making profit, got outsmarted by other crooks and now claims he did it for charity? PROFESSOR HIPOLITE IS A HYPOCRITE

1 Like

Re: Hippolite Amadi's Dedication To Babies Exploited By Nigerian Hospital Leadership by BlogVibetone: 4:58pm On Oct 23
This will just discourage others from investing. God help us in this country.

There should be a limit to corruption, children should be the limit.
Re: Hippolite Amadi's Dedication To Babies Exploited By Nigerian Hospital Leadership by Mindlog: 5:00pm On Oct 23
Afrowits:
This will somehow discourage some people from coming to Naija to invest in Government establishment

This has reinforced my conviction not to dare tie my project to government establishments when setting up a Children and Adolescent Mental Health facility in Nigeria, it will be independent and would get to work with them as a third party.
Re: Hippolite Amadi's Dedication To Babies Exploited By Nigerian Hospital Leadership by CodeTemplarr: 5:01pm On Oct 23
What are the terms of the agreement? Dont tell me he build a structure on govt property without an agreement and permission.
Re: Hippolite Amadi's Dedication To Babies Exploited By Nigerian Hospital Leadership by iHart(m): 5:02pm On Oct 23
He should clear the debt first, and then take up FMC owerri.
Re: Hippolite Amadi's Dedication To Babies Exploited By Nigerian Hospital Leadership by franchasng: 5:07pm On Oct 23
angry
Re: Hippolite Amadi's Dedication To Babies Exploited By Nigerian Hospital Leadership by haybhi1(m): 5:09pm On Oct 23
The hospital has a name, Federal Medical Centre Owerri! Don't log all Nigerian public hospitals together!

Wetin sef? If una never generalize, una never deliver news? Just about anything to paint the country black will be utterly exploited. My greatest wish is that this country splits and everyone bears his/her father's surname.
Mindlog:

The medical centre is under the Federal Ministry of Health, let them come out and state their position. If they have made provisions for the repayment and the Medical Director and his management, misappropriated the funds, they should get called out, arrested and prosecuted.
I don't care at all about Owerri, Imo, neither do I care about the said hospital or its management team one bit. But I care about the light that's shed on the status of Nigerian hospitals. I am educated enough to know that if FMC Owerri is faulted for a thing then FMC Abakaliki or FMC Akure don't deserve to be painted for the said fault. Federal Medical Centre Owerri has a name and should be singled out for its crimes than making a headline about Nigerian Hospitals by making news sensitive, so that ignorant people can keep pointing fingers at Nigerian medical institutions for weeks. It's a disservice to the other uptight and upright institutions, if people will see them in the same light they do an erring institution. Everyone has to be accountable for his actions.
Re: Hippolite Amadi's Dedication To Babies Exploited By Nigerian Hospital Leadership by descarado: 5:12pm On Oct 23
Professor, why didn't you go where you are needed and appreciated?

Pls,start a go fund me,Nigerians in diaspora will settle that bill for you within one week.

I feel like crying cry

1 Like

Re: Hippolite Amadi's Dedication To Babies Exploited By Nigerian Hospital Leadership by 3ice9ce: 5:15pm On Oct 23
Half Story.

Expecting a response to from the other side.
Re: Hippolite Amadi's Dedication To Babies Exploited By Nigerian Hospital Leadership by descarado: 5:15pm On Oct 23
Mindlog:

This has reinforced my conviction not to dare tie my project to government establishments when setting up a Children and Adolescent Mental Health facility in Nigeria, it will be independent and would get to work with them as a third party.
My dear, everyday, my dream of coming down to Nigeria to contribute my qouta just dey diminish.
I no wan wahala honestly.
We had a family history of one who left a lucrative job cos the president called him to come and serve his country but they used tribalism to deny him many things.
Tribalism didn't start today.

1 Like

Re: Hippolite Amadi's Dedication To Babies Exploited By Nigerian Hospital Leadership by Mindlog: 5:16pm On Oct 23
haybhi1:
The hospital has a name, Federal Medical Centre Owerri! Don't log all Nigerian public hospitals together!

Wetin sef? If una never generalize, una never deliver news?

The medical centre is under the Federal Ministry of Health, let them come out and state their position. If they have made provisions for the repayment and the Medical Director and his management, misappropriated the funds, they should get called out, arrested and prosecuted.
Re: Hippolite Amadi's Dedication To Babies Exploited By Nigerian Hospital Leadership by ppogba: 5:17pm On Oct 23
One sided story.

Let us hear the other side
Re: Hippolite Amadi's Dedication To Babies Exploited By Nigerian Hospital Leadership by haybhi1(m): 5:20pm On Oct 23
Re: Hippolite Amadi's Dedication To Babies Exploited By Nigerian Hospital Leadership by Mindlog: 5:22pm On Oct 23
haybhi1:
n

Waiting...

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is The Relevance Between Farting And Appendicitis? / Pastors Selling 'Anointed' Bottled Water Without Nafdac Reg No. / The Health Benefits Of Garden Egg

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.