Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,661 members, 7,962,151 topics. Date: Monday, 30 September 2024 at 02:23 AM

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London (92164 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Official Chelsea Fan Thread:Home Of The Blues!!!! / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (101) (Go Down)

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London by FBS: 9:10am On Feb 02, 2012
Nah. I won't get into the Torres discussion. Just wanted to say that he plays better as a defender. And no, aint joking. angry
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London by Nobody: 9:13am On Feb 02, 2012
FBS:

Nah. I won't get into the Torres discussion. Just wanted to say that he plays better as a defender. And no, aint joking. angry

grin grin
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London by Hardunnii(f): 10:21am On Feb 02, 2012
why is it that its only coogar that sees things differently, even my grandma knows torres is a big flop. coogar ur brain must be upside down
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London by Ibime(m): 10:39am On Feb 02, 2012
According to Coogar, Torres can only play on counterattack if you slip him through one-on-one. That means Torres can never play for any big team because by definition big teams keep 60-70% possession whilst small teams defend in their own half negating any opportunities for counterattack.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London by coogar: 2:29pm On Feb 02, 2012
4llerbuntu:

This excuses you make for torres make a bit of sense on paper, then you think about it and the idiocy of it becomes apparent.

brilliant theories would look idiotic to tools.
since the discussion is a bit advanced for troglodytes like yourself, i would advise you to stay away before i reveal how plonkerish you are.

You say they don't pass the ball quick enough, don't release him one on one etc, but like the Spain example you cited where teams defend deep, that means torres is not useful except the team he plays for play gung ho attacking football and the other team is foolish enough to play same.

he is useful. . . . .how's he not useful?
how does hernandez get the space they run into with mexico?

besides that, torres is not the star player in spain. they have so many world class talents so i can understand del bosque not building the team around torres.
but villas-boas is silly for not building his team around the most-prized asset in chelsea. it's the only reason chelsea are far behind the league leaders.
when a manager spends £50m on a striker - the team gets built around that player.

Why do you keep requiring that certain condition s must be in place before a well paid professional footballer can perform?
that's equal to saying i can only study and pass an exam in a air conditioned room!
as a professional he is mandated to adapt. The example of Filippo inzaghi you vote is even more eye opening. He played in the Italian league, where defending is an art and actually applauded, he played for the best team, mist teams are guaranteed to defend against them, how come he scored regularly?

united play javier hernandez in a certain condition. against teams who sit deep and invite pressure, you won't see hernandez starting such games.
against teams who give it a go or in away games where even smaller teams come out to play, hernandez starts. . . .this is the reason he has scored more goals away from home. that was how chicharito scored 20 goals last season. torres can be managed in a similar way.

Going by what you keep saying Torres is liability you keep on the bench and play only when the moon,and stars align. The other team must be foolish to come out, not press the ball or mark and also leave torress in a one on one situation with their defenders, else we should not expect goals?  Given those requirements even emile heskey would be a world beater.

he's not a liability unless you are a super-tool.
torres is a wonderful tool in away games. teams would always force the issue and the space to run into would avail itself in the end.
even when he's on the bench, put him on when chelsea is ahead 1-0 and the opponents are daring to equalize.
why was benitez successful with torres? how's ferguson successful with chicharito? why can't chelsea be successful with torres?
lack of a good manager or lack of quality midfielders in chelsea?

So  torres cannot adapt or change style of play to get by? That the team is not doing enough for him is bullshyte, is he doing enough for the team upfront?

torres is the star player.
the manager and the other players must adapt to his style. . . . . . .ronaldo had to be shifted centrally in his last few days at man utd to cope with his liability of losing the ball and not tracking back. ferguson had to move him into an area of the pitch where even if he lost the ball, there are more than enough cover.
that is what people mean by building a team around a certain player. . . . .rooney had to be played on the left to accommodate ronaldo.
similarly, henry + etoo had to be played wide to accommodate leo messi centrally in guardiola's debut season.

Ibime:

According to Coogar, Torres can only play on counterattack if you slip him through one-on-one. That means Torres can never play for any big team because by definition big teams keep 60-70% possession whilst small teams defend in their own half negating any opportunities for counterattack.

liverpool were a big team when torres was there.
in 08/09 season, liverpool finished second. . . . .even ahead of chelsea and torres was the reason they did so well that season.
it doesn't have to be counter-attack. a measured pass from the deep would set torres free. . . . .

did liverpool counter-attack when kuyt was let through on goal to score the winner against man utd last weekend?
how did man utd get hernandez to score 20 goals last season. because united aren't a big team that keep 60-70% possession?
ibime, i can now see why you fail in the fantasy league - your managerial skills is archaic.

Hardunnii:

why is it that its only coogar that sees things differently, even my grandma knows torres is a big flop. coogar ur brain must be upside down

and your own brain has been smoky for years because of the fumes of akara it gets every now and then.
you are so poor in spirit, you see rainbow in black and white.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London by chelseabmw(m): 2:38pm On Feb 02, 2012
interesting
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London by Ibime(m): 12:28am On Feb 03, 2012
Hey man, whats the plan for Peter Cech? With the way Thibault Courtois is playing, we have to find a buyer for Cech next season.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London by dayokanu(m): 5:28am On Feb 03, 2012
Ibime, nateevs and other analysts, enough of the Torres yarns your inputs are needed here

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-526446.2272.html#msg10109290
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London by chelseabmw(m): 11:09am On Feb 03, 2012
Jose Mourinho: I’ll manage Chelsea. The Special One is quitting Spanish giants Real Madrid in the summer to come back to England !
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London by Nobody: 1:54pm On Feb 03, 2012
Will Terry be strip of the captain arm band again, i think he shld just retire frm international football
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London by coogar: 2:19pm On Feb 03, 2012
Adetayo100:

Will Terry be strip of the captain arm band again, i think he shld just retire frm international football

john terry would be poison to england's hopes in the summer.
if capello has any common sense, he should drop john terry straight away and retire him.
he would go to prison. he cannot escape it.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London by Nobody: 10:04pm On Feb 03, 2012
No matter how embattled JT is he always gives his best for the club.
I support Team JT, leader, hero, legend.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London by coogar: 10:08pm On Feb 03, 2012
BlueDiva:

No matter how embattled JT is he always gives his best for the club.
I support Team JT, leader, hero, legend.

i know you have always fancied john terry.
he fancies married women too. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London by ritchboy(m): 10:18pm On Feb 03, 2012
coogar:

I thunk BD was divorced cheesy
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London by Ibime(m): 10:50pm On Feb 03, 2012
FA should kick JT out the England team. His presence in the dressing room would be caustic. Go look at the video of JT cussing out Anton Ferdinand and have a look at Mikels face. Mikel heard everything.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London by Nobody: 4:03am On Feb 04, 2012
coogar:

ritchboy:

I thunk BD was divorced cheesy

grin. . .I had a good laugh at 4am.

Everybody cannot be saintly.

JT is who he is. Cantona was also a nuisance but a genius on the field.
I would take a troublesome player who performs than a well behaved misfit like Torres.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London by Nobody: 1:27am On Feb 05, 2012
Our season is about damage limitation, whatever result we get against manutd i will take and accept fate
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London by Nobody: 9:35am On Feb 05, 2012
Looking forward to the game.
I predict a draw. A loss will be too heartbreaking.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London by diggz: 9:44am On Feb 05, 2012
Not lookin forward to dis game @ all. I predict a loss burr,a draw is surely a victory for me.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London by lalaboi(m): 10:16am On Feb 05, 2012
We might pull off a shock tho. like the man city game. then again, no energy(ramires) in the midfield. I dont think essein is fit enough to start. I hope we field a strong defence without Bosingwa. Also Cole is suspended, so we may be looking at Van aanholt or bertrand. personally i dont know which is best but whoever it is, i'm sure valencia or nani will make a meal out of them grin , . . .

Good luck to us! make torres spring surprise today sef
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London by Nobody: 11:04am On Feb 05, 2012
Predictable line up

----------------------Cech

Bosingwa/Ivanovic------Ivanovic/-Luiz--------Cahill-------Bertrand/PF

Meireles--------------Romeu/Mikel------------Malouda

Strurridge------------Dud-------------Mata
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London by lalaboi(m): 12:36pm On Feb 05, 2012
lol @ dud.  he might surprise us all 2day
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London by diggz: 12:44pm On Feb 05, 2012
Hope dis project help FT to build confidence will not send us to relegation @ dis rate? I say let dud according to BD start from d bench while,Lukaku starts d match Ojare.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London by nateevs(m): 1:29pm On Feb 05, 2012
lalaboi:

We might pull off a shock tho. like the man city game. then again, no energy(ramires) in the midfield. I dont think essein is fit enough to start. I hope we field a strong defence without Bosingwa. Also Cole is suspended, so we may be looking at Van aanholt or bertrand. personally i dont know which is best but whoever it is, i'm sure valencia or nani will make a meal out of them grin ,  . . . 

Good luck to us! make torres spring surprise today sef

My guess is Bosingwa will play at LB. Bosingwa, though not a defender of our choice, has the pace to deal with Valencia and/or Nani.
For that reason, Ivanovic will play RB. Luiz and Cahill in CD.

Predictable and uncreative midfield as usual. Meireles, Romeu, Essien, Malouda. That's it. Don't expect any through balls to Torres from the middle. Stats of over 10 games don't show it will be any different today. Only difference here is that United will not park the bus. That said, SB is small.

Danny will be as selfish as usual; shooting when a pass while suffice and Mata instead of being deployed behind Torres permanently, will find himself covering two positions with eventually no support of any kind on the left. Even if there is, Valencia is more than capable of dealing with Malouda who will try to provide width to the left and Mata's pace when he also drifts to the left. And as Cole is not playing, there's no doubling on their full back. Bosingwa will be cautious about overlapping too much. He can barely cross with his right foot and he's playing left today.

For this reason, wing play will be zilch. And as the midfield remains as uncreative as it always is, Torres will be left alone and blamed yet again for not scoring a goal.

Defence 'should' be solid. Barring any silly Luiz moments, we should not concede a cheap goal. That said, Nani is able to curl them in from outside the box and United are more than capable of walking into the box of any team. 

Our chances of winning is heavily dependent on how we play up front. Unfortunately, how we play upfront is incredibly predictable. Unless we bring out something I have never seen this season.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London by Ibime(m): 1:47pm On Feb 05, 2012
When playing at left back, Bosingwa only shines against wingers who cut inside. Valencia will take him on his outside where the left side of his brain malfunctions.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London by nateevs(m): 1:52pm On Feb 05, 2012
Ibime:

When playing at left back, Bosingwa only shines against wingers who cut inside. Valencia will take him on his outside where the left side of his brain malfunctions.

Unfortunately Bosingwa will play. Ryan Bertrand will not be given a chance - for obvious reasons - and I'll rather go and sleep than watch PF play again for Chelsea.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London by ritchboy(m): 3:03pm On Feb 05, 2012
Chelsea will win handsomely.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London by Nobody: 4:38pm On Feb 05, 2012
Funny enough PF is ok at left back,
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London by Nobody: 4:57pm On Feb 05, 2012
Line up.

----------------------Cech

Ivanovic------ Cahill------------Luiz-------Bosingwa

Essien--------------Meireles------------Malouda

Strurridge------------Dud-------------Mata
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London by Nobody: 5:04pm On Feb 05, 2012
Bright start.
We always wake up when playing top teams.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London by Nobody: 5:05pm On Feb 05, 2012
Wasted by DS as usual.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London by Nobody: 5:08pm On Feb 05, 2012
Wasted corners, hope dey so?

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (101)

Chelsea Vs Arsenal: Europa Cup Final (4 - 1) On 29th May 2019 / Nairaland Fantasy Premier League 2017/2018 / Paris Saint-Germain Vs Manchester United: UCL (1 - 3) On 6th March 2019

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.