Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,224 members, 7,904,044 topics. Date: Monday, 29 July 2024 at 07:27 AM

Who Is An Educated Man? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Who Is An Educated Man? (24424 Views)

At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? / Difference Between A LEARNED And An EDUCATED Person. / The Ten Most Educated Countries In The World. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by ronkebp(f): 5:20pm On Dec 22, 2011
The civility of an individual determines the level of education he might have been exposed to.
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by Afam4eva(m): 5:22pm On Dec 22, 2011
beknown:

That cannot be classified as education, it is life experience.

Then what is education. In simple term, doesn't it mean learning? It's not rocket science na.
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by indoorlove(m): 5:25pm On Dec 22, 2011
aasog1:

[b]education is not the same as schooling. when you are schooled, you learn to read and write, and they prepare you to pass exams, but all this doesnt leave the corridors of the class rooms. real education comes from day to day experience, discipline, self-awareness, intuition, and the ability to learn daily, and THE ABILITY TO APPLY THESE GARNERED PRINCIPLES.

The difference between our western educated counterparts, and the Nigerian graduate is this:
1. their education system is built on practical, hands on, upgraded based on new challenges, and doing its best to be at pace with the ever changing world. Going to the whiteman school opens your eyes to possibilities. It horns your abilities, and changes your perception of life and the world. problems becomes opportunities and not curses that DRIVE EVERY NIGERIAN TO PASTORS AND IMAMS AS WELL AS SPIRITUALISTS.

2. In the other hand, our education here if not just a copy and paste, download and offload spate, does not in anyway prepare us for the real world. I was in the office last year when 3 cute NYSC girls came to my office. Then we needed an accountant, we one happens to be. I told her to sell herself to me, and the girl turned to stone. She had no inkling of idea what SELLING means. I was enraged, but later when our boss and mentor heard about the melee, he just grinned and said: the Nigerian Education System is a slaughter house where your originality and zeal gets crushed. And those lecturers do their best to intimadate you up to the extent you lose the last drop of self-confidence.

Its hard to find any Educated Nigerian. All you just need to do is look around. So many graduates, and it keeps getting worse. We need a complete overhaul or Re-engineer and Dynamic transformation to fix this problem.[/b]
Thank you sir, no one could have explain better, i love the points u vividly raised.
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by Wallie(m): 5:27pm On Dec 22, 2011
An educated man is someone that learnt something new and can now apply that knowledge to a completely novel situation by mental reasoning. You essentially become skilled.

If you went through school and graduated at the top of your class but cannot think on your own even when given all the necessary information, you are not educated. Being educated means that you can rationalize and critique information to arrive at a conclusion.

Based on postings on this site, most lack the mental capacity to reason critically and only spew what some biased individual feed them. All they can do is copy and paste! sad
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by cardoso111(m): 5:27pm On Dec 22, 2011
An educated man is one who understands the needs and challenges of the other person and goes all the way to solve them
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by ak47mann(m): 5:39pm On Dec 22, 2011
aasog1:

[b]education is not the same as schooling. when you are schooled, you learn to read and write, and they prepare you to pass exams, but all this doesnt leave the corridors of the class rooms. real education comes from day to day experience, discipline, self-awareness, intuition, and the ability to learn daily, and THE ABILITY TO APPLY THESE GARNERED PRINCIPLES.

The difference between our western educated counterparts, and the Nigerian graduate is this:
1. their education system is built on practical, hands on, upgraded based on new challenges, and doing its best to be at pace with the ever changing world. Going to the whiteman school opens your eyes to possibilities. It horns your abilities, and changes your perception of life and the world. problems becomes opportunities and not curses that DRIVE EVERY NIGERIAN TO PASTORS AND IMAMS AS WELL AS SPIRITUALISTS.

2. In the other hand, our education here if not just a copy and paste, download and offload spate, does not in anyway prepare us for the real world. I was in the office last year when 3 cute NYSC girls came to my office. Then we needed an accountant, we one happens to be. I told her to sell herself to me, and the girl turned to stone. She had no inkling of idea what SELLING means. I was enraged, but later when our boss and mentor heard about the melee, he just grinned and said: the Nigerian Education System is a slaughter house where your originality and zeal gets crushed. And those lecturers do their best to intimadate you up to the extent you lose the last drop of self-confidence.

Its hard to find any Educated Nigerian. All you just need to do is look around. So many graduates, and it keeps getting worse. We need a complete overhaul or Re-engineer and Dynamic transformation to fix this problem.[/b]
GBAM,
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by gaddafe(m): 5:52pm On Dec 22, 2011
[color=#000099][/color]
An educated person is anyone who has any form of education.
There are 3 types of education:
1. Formal Education
2. Semi-Formal Education
3. Informal Education
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by Afam4eva(m): 5:57pm On Dec 22, 2011
gaddafe:

[color=#000099][/color]
An educated person is anyone who has any form of education.
There are 3 types of education:
1. Formal Education
2. Semi-Formal Education
3. Informal Education

An 1diot could fall into any of the three categories.
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by Godmann(m): 5:58pm On Dec 22, 2011
An educated man is a rational man.

One that uses his senses and facts to derive conclusions; and who be learning, reading and exposure have accumulated much facts on significant areas of life.

One that has significantly overgrown allowing his emotions, prejudice and biases to drive his actions.
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by Afam4eva(m): 6:00pm On Dec 22, 2011
Godman_n:

An educated man is a rational man.

One that uses his senses and facts to derive conclusions; and who be learning, reading and exposure have accumulated much facts on significant areas of life.

One that has significantly overgrown allowing his emotions, prejudice and biases to drive his actions.

You're spot on.

Rationality is the basis for calling someone educated. Someone who's rational is fair in judgement. They don't allow people or events to shape the way they feel about something. For instance, a northerner who's educated(rational) will not join the army of miscreants who go about slaughtering people in the name of religion.
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by Mobinga: 6:08pm On Dec 22, 2011
Mobinga
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by enyhss(m): 6:25pm On Dec 22, 2011
By my own definition, An educated man/woman is someone who can make the best use of formal education and/or training receives in a formal setting and blend it with the day to day life experiences garnered far and near & over the years.

The ability to harness the very best of these two, I believe, is what qualifies someone to be educated. This, without doubt, is so arduous a task for a  good number of people.
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by ARareGem(f): 6:40pm On Dec 22, 2011
aasog1:

Found the bolded part quite funny. I hope there's still hope for me. cheesy But, I do agree with your post.
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by kizito96(m): 8:18pm On Dec 22, 2011
Being Educated is Different from being intelligent it is also different from being wise.

Education can be bought
Intelligence comes from within and it's natural
Wisdom is Spiritual
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Dec 22, 2011
afam4eva:

Then what is education. In simple term, doesn't it mean learning? It's not rocket science na.

Afam, honestly i do not think education and experience are the same things at all. I see experience as spontaneous and unplanned and accumulates over an often long period of time while education is deliberate and planned within a specific period of time.

Another difference i can decipher from both, is that, before experience occurs, the individual does not feel it within himself that he is lacking in something, hence the word spontaneous and it tends to broaden a horizon already believed to have climaxed while before education, a person believes he is already lacking something and education would help to get him up to the required standard or summit.

That's my take to iit.
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by Nobody: 8:25pm On Dec 22, 2011
afam4eva:

Afam, honestly i do not think education and experience are the same things at all. I see experience as spontaneous and unplanned and accumulates over an often long period of time while education is deliberate and planned within a specific period of time.

Another difference i can decipher from both, is that, before experience occurs, the individual does not feel it within himself that he is lacking in something, hence the word spontaneous and it tends to broaden a horizon already believed to have climaxed while before education, a person believes he is already lacking something and education would help to get him up to the required standard or summit.

That's my take on it.
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by Pato5(m): 9:07pm On Dec 22, 2011
Being educated is applyin wot u av learnt in skul 2 solv d problems around u, bt d pathetic part is dat 'many went 2 skul bt few ar educated)
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by icez: 10:33pm On Dec 22, 2011
That is true.
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by AreaFada2: 11:46pm On Dec 22, 2011
From the above answers, the question appear to be a philosophical question as there is appears to be one answer.

Therefore a baby monkey on the back of it's mother jumping from tree to tree and learning how to seperate poisonous fruits from yummy ones can grow up to become an educated monkey, abi.

Becuse it needs to use it's innate intelligence to recognise, get education on how to crack/open it and use it to survive in tough situations.

If that's all there is to education, then it's overhyped.

I should never have wasted so much chemicals, DNA, enzymes in the lab and dissected so many bodies. Lol.
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by Nobody: 3:28am On Dec 23, 2011
Area-Fada:

From the above answers, the question appear to be a philosophical question as there is appears to be one answer.

Therefore a baby monkey on the back of it's mother jumping from tree to tree and learning how to seperate poisonous fruits from yummy ones can grow up to become an educated monkey, abi.

Becuse it needs to use it's innate intelligence to recognise, get education on how to crack/open it and use it to survive in tough situations.

If that's all there is to education, then it's overhyped.

I should never have wasted so much chemicals, DNA, enzymes in the lab and dissected so many bodies. Lol.
The question isn't 'What is education'. It's 'Who's an educated man?',
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by Dsage1: 4:59am On Dec 23, 2011
Education is enlightment acquired by d pple in order to be useful to themself and d society dey live.Education is also d cultural heritage transmittng from generation to genetion.Base on d above definitions, educated man is one who is expert,smart,dynamic,rational,humble&friendly in whatever he's doing wit or without holding degree in higher institution.E.g,an expert fisherman/hunter/butcher ar educated man.
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by Nobody: 5:14am On Dec 23, 2011
In my view;

A educated  person is "one who has the ability to reason logically".

If you can masterfully apply the skills of logic-- which is the art and science of correct reasoning-- there is no subject/person you cannot tackle or question. In fact, in classical times: Logic was studied in school as first subject and a very important one. If you take a look at those times and those that pioneered the Age of Enlightenment and Scientific Revolution, you would notice that they were skilled in different subjects and applications.

Western countries are even coming to terms that their educational systems are fallen below standard. Unlike what it used to be.

In naija, we nova even start yet.

afam4eva:

You're spot on.

Rationality is the basis for calling someone educated. Someone who's rational is fair in judgement. They don't allow people or events to shape the way they feel about something. For instance, a northerner who's educated(rational) will not join the army of miscreants who go about slaughtering people in the name of religion.

That is not necessarily the case. Rationality is relative. A rational statement may have a flawed reasoning. A rational statement may outline reasons for an activity or decision; but the question is,  are those reasons correct? Having an independent mind is a different ball game altogether.
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by AreaFada2: 6:42am On Dec 23, 2011
musKeeto:

The question isn't 'What is education'. It's 'Who's an educated man?',

Moskeeto:

Are you trying to say that yoou can have an "educated man" who does have any form of education at all, formal or informal?
Or can you claim to be a christian without christ?

Anyway in Nigeria everything is upside down, so all things are possible, muhehehehe,
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by aribisala0(m): 7:02am On Dec 23, 2011
aasog1:

i am an educated man grin grin grin i wonder why the question is only about men?
i think being educated means being able to interact positively and productively with your environment using the power of the mind.It entails some knowledge of the world and how it works and of people and the ability to profit from experience.Since knowledge is limitless the educated man must know what his limits are ,when where and how to get help when required.

So my thinkng about the scenario quoted above. aasog seems to trhink the girl was poorly educated because of her failure to comply with the request.
Well an educated man may draw that conclusion or ask what other explanation could there be for that failing.Assuming she did not actually know what "selling" herself meant that might suggest poor "schooling" as distinct from poor education. Since English is the language of instruction in Nigeria it is disappointing but I do not think that scenario is enough to condemn her. Different people have different personalities and aptitudes for different tasks and so if you were putting together a team of people this lady might not be a good spokesperson but may have other useful qualities.
Another thing is that even with the best schooling there is a certain quality of the mind called insight  which often comes with age though some are lucky to get it earlier when one moves away from what one has learnt and actually interacts with the world using the mind.Many never acquire this but you recognize it when you see it . The individual looks at the world around him and develops some hypothesis/theory of his own without being taught. One such person for me is FELA he said:
I don pass pikin, I don pass school, university, sef i  pass
As I don start to work, na government I must face
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by AreaFada2: 7:04am On Dec 23, 2011
What's wrong with this NL?

You cannot modify something you wrote or posted earlier in a hurry, in the middle of doing one hundred things.
It always says thread is blocked.

By the way Moskeeto:

I meant can you have an "educated man" without any form of education at all?
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by AreaFada2: 7:14am On Dec 23, 2011
Ronke my sister,

Some highly educated people are not particularly civil ooo.

Culture also plays a role.

I get your point though.
I don't live in Ameria but have met many ivy league educated Americans here in Europe (uni) and they have been incredibly civil compared to say AA GIs I have met.

That's not universal.
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by aribisala0(m): 7:19am On Dec 23, 2011
Our Nigerian graduates are not worse when compared to their foreign counterparts as far as education goes but schooling is a different matter entirely. They are poorly schooled but this is often not irretrievable. I think generally we are handicapped because we have to study in English which is not our mother tongue and so our linguistic development is often handicapped because the language does not resonate with us as a mother tongue would many Nigerians lose interest and contact with language forms like poetry ,prose and verse which are not as emotionally evocative as the mother tongue and so a very important part of language school is missed both in English and in the mother tongue. Language recitations performances just don't happen in our developmental experience these days and that is tragic really. when you consider that our history was transmitted by word of mouth through verse that was committed to memory and performed on special occasions.
We are now caught in the worst of both worlds as far as language is concerned
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by adedara123(m): 7:50am On Dec 23, 2011
Someone who can learn,unlearn,relearn(degree or no degree)do not matter.
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by obowunmi(m): 7:58am On Dec 23, 2011
Adedara is on point.
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by cameronese(m): 9:53am On Dec 23, 2011
An educated person is someone who has learned how to acquire, analyze, synthesize, evaluate, understand, and communicate knowledge and information.

An educated person has to develop skills that respond to changing professional requirements and new challenges in society and the world at large. He or she must be able to take skills previously gained from serious study of one set of problems and apply them to another.

He or she must be able to locate, understand, interpret, evaluate, and use information in an appropriate way and ultimately communicate his or her synthesis and understanding of that information in a clear and accurate manner.
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by zangality(m): 10:17am On Dec 23, 2011
An educated man is a man that can use his knowledge whether formal or informal to help his immediate society and humanity at large,
Re: Who Is An Educated Man? by sniperwolf(m): 10:23am On Dec 23, 2011
A man that understands the value of education no matter his status

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Photo: Mapoly Students Storm The Street As They Celebrate Their Logout / Gunmen Attack Plateau State University, Many Feared Killed And Injured / Students On FG Scholarship Begging For Food In Russia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.