Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,901 members, 7,889,986 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 06:37 AM

Obasanjo Compares Nigeria And Congo, 47 Years After - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Compares Nigeria And Congo, 47 Years After (2573 Views)

Ben Bruce Compares Price Of Kerosene In Nigeria And India / President Of Nigeria , Niger And Congo Spotted At Johannesburg Summit (photo) / Goa Minister Compares Nigerians To Cancer! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo Compares Nigeria And Congo, 47 Years After by dimcod: 10:37am On Oct 03, 2007
Independence anniversary: Nigeria better than Congo, says Obasanjo
From MOSHOOD ADEBAYO, Abeokuta
Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo on Monday compared Nigeria with war-torn countries in Africa particularly the Democratic Republic of Congo, saying that the country has cause to celebrate at 47.

While comparing Nigeria to Congo, Obasanjo whose eight-year presidency had generated mixed feelings from the citizenry, also commented on the progress the country had made in the last 47 years, saying that Nigerians had cause to praise God.

"When I remember the situation that I saw in Congo 47 years ago and the situation that Nigeria was then; and the situation that Nigeria is today and the situation that the Democratic Republic of Congo still faces today, then we must thank God for His mercies."
Re: Obasanjo Compares Nigeria And Congo, 47 Years After by Seun(m): 10:43am On Oct 03, 2007
Re: Obasanjo Compares Nigeria And Congo, 47 Years After by ono(m): 12:24pm On Oct 03, 2007
Na wa o! When he should be comparing Nigeria to Malaysia, he's looking at Congo to compare Nigeria with. Surely, old age has caused some set back in his thinking faculty.
Re: Obasanjo Compares Nigeria And Congo, 47 Years After by osereka(m): 2:36pm On Oct 03, 2007
now i believe OBJ is really old even if he lied that he DE KAMPE

WHEN OLD AGE SET IN, YOUR NEEDS WILL BE GETTING SMALLER EACH DAY
                                      YOUR THINKING WILL BE LIKE THAT OF CHILDREN
                                      AND YOU WILL BE COUNTING  YOUR BLESSING, NAMING THEM ONE BY ONE

I WONT BE SURPRISED IF BABA IYABO DESIDES TO RETURN THE MONEY, LANDS, PROPERTIES HE LOOTED
FROM NAIJA TOMORROW.
BECOUS HE WILL HAVE NO USE FOR THEM IN WHEREVER HE FINDS HIMSELF. HEAVEN OR HELL
Re: Obasanjo Compares Nigeria And Congo, 47 Years After by desgiezd(m): 3:06pm On Oct 03, 2007
That comment by "baba" has given us a rare glimpse into the inner dark recesses of his mind. It has shown that when he was in power he was constantly comparing Nigeria with countries like Congo etc and kept on assuring himself that we were faring better. Countries like Malaysia (that started just about the same time with Nigeria), South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong are there and he didnt see the necessity to compare Nigeria with them but with Congo. What a leader!

----whose "baba" is he sef?----
Re: Obasanjo Compares Nigeria And Congo, 47 Years After by osereka(m): 3:17pm On Oct 03, 2007
we should make a legistlation
that if you are above 55 yrs, you cant contest
for president of naija
BECOUS THE OLDER YOU BECOME THE LESSER YOUR NEEDS
remeber what ROCHAS OKOROCHA SAY ABOUT ALL THIS OLD FOOLS
that they are not Y2K COMPLIANT
Re: Obasanjo Compares Nigeria And Congo, 47 Years After by BigB11(m): 4:30pm On Oct 03, 2007
Personally, I do not think it is appropriate for any leader to compare himself or herself to a failure.

This man is absolutely incompetent to even be the president of Yaba Market Association.
Re: Obasanjo Compares Nigeria And Congo, 47 Years After by Iman3(m): 4:33pm On Oct 03, 2007
I sometimes wonder whether he says things to taunt us.
Re: Obasanjo Compares Nigeria And Congo, 47 Years After by Mamajama(m): 4:47pm On Oct 03, 2007
DAMN you guys are so critical of OBJ. What is wrong in comparing Nigeria to Congo?

Ain't we glad we are not subjected to all the tribal conflicts going on in other countries?

Look at Dafur, How many people here criticizing OBJ will hold a gun and defend their town?

Yes I am with OBJ on this we should be grateful to Lord for shielding us from all this wars.

Look at Niger Delta. this is just one region in Nigeria and we can't even control this THUGS, but yet we have to be thankful it's not all over the country.
Re: Obasanjo Compares Nigeria And Congo, 47 Years After by babasin(m): 5:13pm On Oct 03, 2007
"When I remember the situation that I saw in Congo 47 years ago and the situation that Nigeria was then; and the situation that Nigeria is today and the situation that the Democratic Republic of Congo still faces today, then we must thank God for His mercies."

Above is the quality of the thinking of your OBJ.

No wonder, Nigerians dived deeper into poverty, crime, no road, no electricity etc in OBJ wasted years!

grin cheesy grin
Re: Obasanjo Compares Nigeria And Congo, 47 Years After by labiyemmy(m): 5:14pm On Oct 03, 2007
He is right - whats wrong with that?
Re: Obasanjo Compares Nigeria And Congo, 47 Years After by Iman3(m): 5:15pm On Oct 03, 2007
Why im no compare us to Somalia?
Re: Obasanjo Compares Nigeria And Congo, 47 Years After by babasin(m): 5:21pm On Oct 03, 2007
He is right - whats wrong with that?

shocking!!!!!!!!!

for progress/improvement, do you compare yourself with the worst or the best??
Re: Obasanjo Compares Nigeria And Congo, 47 Years After by Nobody: 5:52pm On Oct 03, 2007
Maybe we should export some strong wind of change to Congo.
Re: Obasanjo Compares Nigeria And Congo, 47 Years After by presido1: 7:13pm On Oct 03, 2007
Are u guys suprise? he will say more derogatory words and comparism against us.
Nigeria compared with Congo by our ex president!!!! anyway thats where his forsight will get to.
Re: Obasanjo Compares Nigeria And Congo, 47 Years After by BigB11(m): 8:22pm On Oct 03, 2007
I don't care whatever you guys say or think, IBB will never never make those ridiculous statement under any circumstances.

I guess, it is true that NOSE is very far from MOUTH.
Re: Obasanjo Compares Nigeria And Congo, 47 Years After by iykrion(m): 8:33pm On Oct 03, 2007
Mamajama:

DAMN you guys are so critical of OBJ. What is wrong in comparing Nigeria to Congo?

Ain't we glad we are not subjected to all the tribal conflicts going on in other countries?

Look at Dafur, How many people here criticizing OBJ will hold a gun and defend their town?

Yes I am with OBJ on this we should be grateful to Lord for shielding us from all this wars.

Look at Niger Delta. this is just one region in Nigeria and we can't even control this THUGS, but yet we have to be thankful it's not all over the country.

Your vindication of OBJ on this discourse is at best shallow and at worst irresponsible. It beats my imagination why you refused to look at Malaysia, Singapore, South Africa and others in this category, rather you chose to mention Sudan. Why don't you compare us with Chad and Niger? When Davidylan said that 'Nigerians love to bury their heads in the sands of denial', he never had you in mind, but now I put it to you that you have lend credence to that statement.
Niger Delta crises is one of the direct results of the OBJ's misrule and insensitivity towards Nigerians. That you have freedom of speech and association (with OBJ), does not mean that you should taunt others with your misguided utterances.

davidylan:

Maybe we should export some strong wind of change to Congo.

Congo would have realised by now that, accepting our wind of change will certainly have negative effects on them. cheesy

babasin:

shocking!!!!!!!!!

for progress/improvement, do you compare yourself with the worst or the best??

That's the point, the Nigerian system is always retrogressive, so people like mamajama who see nothing wrong with OBJ's statement is actually playing the core Nigerians - Traitors!
Re: Obasanjo Compares Nigeria And Congo, 47 Years After by Nobody: 5:05am On Oct 04, 2007
It's just human nature to take part in downward comparisons in order to make ourselves feel better.
Re: Obasanjo Compares Nigeria And Congo, 47 Years After by babasin(m): 7:56am On Oct 04, 2007
It's just human nature to take part in downward comparisons in order to make ourselves feel better.

thats road to self-destruction.

If Malaysia were comparing themselves to congo, they would not be what they are today

grin cool
Re: Obasanjo Compares Nigeria And Congo, 47 Years After by labiyemmy(m): 1:27am On Oct 05, 2007
You can compare yourself to Bill Gates - it only makes you live in the land of the cookoos.

You can comapre your down trodden self to the sons of the rich and the well to do - it only brings you to downfall and self aggradisement. You can compare yourself to the brightest in your school, it doesnt make you anything better, it only gives you unnecessary pride.

OBJ knows what he is saying - what makes u think you know better? Congo has gone through wars and all sorts of things in her existence which Nigeria has a country hasnt gone through', if you think of that, you will think Nigeria still have reason to thank God.

Bedroom critics.
Re: Obasanjo Compares Nigeria And Congo, 47 Years After by BigB11(m): 2:13am On Oct 05, 2007
You can compare yourself to Bill Gates - it only makes you live in the land of the cookoos.

You can compare your down trodden self to the sons of the rich and the well to do - it only brings you to downfall and self aggrandisement. You can compare yourself to the brightest in your school, it doesn't make you anything better, it only gives you unnecessary pride.

My man, no disrespect, but you're totally wrong just like OBJ.

At anytime, I rather compare myself to Bill Gate instead of Mike Tyson; Yes, you may not be as rich, but it gives you sense of purpose, it motivates you and you have a decent  bench mark to work with.

My man, there is absolutely no justification, a true leader will never never compare himself or herself to a pure failure.

China will not be at their current level if they continue to compare themselves to Nigeria.

It is one of the important topics in LDRSHP101  "always compare yourself with the best"

Moreover, have you thought of OBJ's ridiculous statement as being unfair and disrespectful to the Republic of Congo?

Think about it!

if you think of that, you will think Nigeria still have reason to thank God.

You don't need to compare yourself to anybody to know to thank God for everything or to know that glory be to God.
Re: Obasanjo Compares Nigeria And Congo, 47 Years After by labiyemmy(m): 2:27am On Oct 05, 2007
Big B1

Give me one reason why you think I am wrong and you are right.
Re: Obasanjo Compares Nigeria And Congo, 47 Years After by Nobody: 5:33am On Oct 05, 2007
He already gave you reasons up there, did you even bother to read?
Re: Obasanjo Compares Nigeria And Congo, 47 Years After by dayokanu(m): 8:03am On Oct 05, 2007
OBJ is right .
Nigeria is better than world powers like Afghanistan, Eritrea, Benin republic, Malawi e.t.c grin

@ mamajama, your child in school after his semester exam was 27th in a class of 31 and he came home boasting to you that John that lives in the next house, got the 30th position I am sure you as the father would say we should thank God that he is not the worst.

We and Malaysia were once mates but they left us behind, we then lowered our gaze to countries like Ghana now Ghana has left us behind, we lowered our gaze once again to Congo, very soon when Congo leaves us we would be looking at countries like Malawi and Mozambique for inspiration.
Re: Obasanjo Compares Nigeria And Congo, 47 Years After by labiyemmy(m): 8:50am On Oct 05, 2007
@Donzman

Tell me - maybe I am blind to read Mr Teacher.

And tell me why I should agree that he is right and I am wrong?
Re: Obasanjo Compares Nigeria And Congo, 47 Years After by Kobojunkie: 11:50pm On Oct 05, 2007
I-man (m)
London,UK

Re: Obasanjo Compares Nigeria And Congo, 47 Years After
« #7 on: October 03, 2007, 04:33 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I sometimes wonder whether he says things to taunt us.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our faith comes in moments; our vice is habitual

LAUGHING REALLY HARD AT THAT RESPONSE !!!!!! grin cheesy grin grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Obasanjo Compares Nigeria And Congo, 47 Years After by Kobojunkie: 11:50pm On Oct 05, 2007
dayokanu:

OBJ is right .
Nigeria is better than world powers like Afghanistan, Eritrea, Benin republic, Malawi e.t.c grin

@ mamajama, your child in school after his semester exam was 27th in a class of 31 and he came home boasting to you that John that lives in the next house, got the 30th position I am sure you as the father would say we should thank God that he is not the worst.

We and Malaysia were once mates but they left us behind, we then lowered our gaze to countries like Ghana now Ghana has left us behind, we lowered our gaze once again to Congo, very soon when Congo leaves us we would be looking at countries like Malawi and Mozambique for inspiration.

Exactly !!! smiley)smiley) cheesy grin grin grin cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: Obasanjo Compares Nigeria And Congo, 47 Years After by Nobody: 1:48am On Oct 06, 2007
dayokanu:

very soon when Congo leaves us we would be looking at countries like Malawi and Mozambique for inspiration.

and when inevitably those ones also leave us behind we can always look to Zimbabwe for comfort.
Re: Obasanjo Compares Nigeria And Congo, 47 Years After by Jen33(m): 1:18pm On Oct 06, 2007
The intrigung thing here is that many (if not most) of the critics of OBJ and Nigeria here, if they were to get into power, will be just as incapacitated from executing their functions to full effect.

Imagine if you were to be made a minister or state governor. The immense pressures coming from everywhere, including from your own family and even parents, to be 'wealthy' and share largesse will eventually compel you to corruption. Else, your own people will spit at u and call you a foool behind your back. Your kids will be wondering ''was our dad really the governor? Why are we still suffering like this?''

Your village people will wonder what benefit your appointment brought to them, and may end up shunning you for your 'uselessness'.  grin

These are the FACTS of the matter, and until we address the social disconnect between habit and aspiration, we will keep fooling ourselves.

Lastly, it really makes no sense trying to bring in the likes of Malaysia/South Korea etc into this.

Anyone who studied the development of those nations knows they could not do it without massive western assistance in terms of funds/access to credit/investors/human resources/access to western markets etc etc, all orchestrated by the US in order to form a bulwark against communism in Asia.

I read a study recently, a comparison between foreign investment in Botswana, and in Vietnam. The researcher produced statistics detailing the level of progress in both nations, using indices like literacy, GNP, economic performance year on year, GDP, public accountability, natural resources, etc etc.

In each of these categories, Botswana won hands down.

Yet, Vietnam had recorded exponential foreign investment to the tune of tens of billions of dollars while Botswana received under a billion $ worth of it, over a five year period.

Can anyone here offer an explanation for this please??

Now Vietnam's economy is 'booming'. Manufacturing concerns are setting up everywhere, they have major access to western markets, foreign investment is shooting through the roof, and their standard of living is fast eclipsing that of Botswana.

Tomorrow some ignoramus in Botswa will now look at Vietnam and moan : ''Look at Vietnam that was a dump compared to us. Now look at them today. In fact we're more than useless!''  grin

Just like our foolish Nigerians are doing here. And before you moan that 'we have oil' remember that our huge population makes such income a mere pittance, compared to Saudi, Kuwait, and other oil producing nations, and that for Nigeria to become like Malaysia, South Korea etc, it will require copious amounts of international economic co-operation as was granted the 'Asian Tigers'. Corruption was (and is) heavily entrenched in those nations as well, (they've had some verry corrupt, dictatorial rulers) but when you enjoy such massive economic 'co-operation' from the west, it hardly makes a difference!

Thus the problems are really not as clear cut as some here seem to think. Maybe Baba knew exactly what he was talking about.
Re: Obasanjo Compares Nigeria And Congo, 47 Years After by Kobojunkie: 2:04pm On Oct 06, 2007
Jen33:

The intrigung thing here is that many (if not most) of the critics of OBJ and Nigeria here, if they were to get into power, will be just as incapacitated from executing their functions to full effect.

Imagine if you were to be made a minister or state governor. The immense pressures coming from everywhere, including from your own family and even parents, to be 'wealthy' and share largesse will eventually compel you to corruption. Else, your own people will spit at u and call you a foool behind your back. Your kids will be wondering ''was our dad really the governor? Why are we still suffering like this?''

Your village people will wonder what benefit your appointment brought to them, and may end up shunning you for your 'uselessness'.  grin

These are the FACTS of the matter, and until we address the social disconnect between habit and aspiration, we will keep fooling ourselves.

Lastly, it really makes no sense trying to bring in the likes of Malaysia/South Korea etc into this.

Anyone who studied the development of those nations knows they could not do it without massive western assistance in terms of funds/access to credit/investors/human resources/access to western markets etc etc, all orchestrated by the US in order to form a bulwark against communism in Asia.

I read a study recently, a comparison between foreign investment in Botswana, and in Vietnam. The researcher produced statistics detailing the level of progress in both nations, using indices like literacy, GNP, economic performance year on year, GDP, public accountability, natural resources, etc etc.

In each of these categories, Botswana won hands down.

Yet, Vietnam had recorded exponential foreign investment to the tune of tens of billions of dollars while Botswana received under a billion $ worth of it, over a five year period.

Can anyone here offer an explanation for this please??

Now Vietnam's economy is 'booming'. Manufacturing concerns are setting up everywhere, they have major access to western markets, foreign investment is shooting through the roof, and their standard of living is fast eclipsing that of Botswana.

Tomorrow some ignoramus in Botswa will now look at Vietnam and moan : ''Look at Vietnam that was a dump compared to us. Now look at them today. In fact we're more than useless!''  grin

Just like our foolish Nigerians are doing here. And before you moan that 'we have oil' remember that our huge population makes such income a mere pittance, compared to Saudi, Kuwait, and other oil producing nations, and that for Nigeria to become like Malaysia, South Korea etc, it will require copious amounts of international economic co-operation as was granted the 'Asian Tigers'. Corruption was (and is) heavily entrenched in those nations as well, (they've had some verry corrupt, dictatorial rulers) but when you enjoy such massive economic 'co-operation' from the west, it hardly makes a difference!

Thus the problems are really not as clear cut as some here seem to think. Maybe Baba knew exactly what he was talking about.

@Jen,  your argument may be valid to some point but I don't believe it applies to all persons and I am proof. About the cultural ties and what nots you mentioned. Not all Nigerians have them. I have no ties of any kind to my village whichever or wherever it is and have no persons to get WEALTHY for. and I am sure there are many decent Nigerians out there who find themselves in the same situation. So the claim that If the critics get in office they would do same is not one I subscribe to.

About the difference in the numbers with Botswana and Vietnam, Did the writer also document the various laws that government of the country has put in place,  that allows these investors flock to Vietnam over Botswana??  Did the author also document the amount of AIDS recieved by each country and compare the number to the amounts invested in the different economies?? Here is my take on this ,  the laws in most african countries do not allow for investors to do business freely and that is one of the many things that put them off. I as an investor would prefer to invest where I know the market is conduscive for such. Another determinant is the amount of AIDS the country is taking in. If a country is mostly dependent on foreign AIDS what is there to invest in  Investing in such countries would be seriously risky business and if the market is continually in the red, what is the point of investing in such ?? Another thing I would ask is if the author of the article considered the cost of doing business in each of those countries for these investors.

To attract foreign investors, the country should at least be able to prove it is worth investing in and I would believe that investing in Vietnam, from the perspective of the investors, is more viable than investing in a country like Botswana.
Re: Obasanjo Compares Nigeria And Congo, 47 Years After by iykrion(m): 6:09pm On Oct 06, 2007
Jen33:

The intrigung thing here is that many (if not most) of the critics of OBJ and Nigeria here, if they were to get into power, will be just as incapacitated from executing their functions to full effect,
Just like our foolish Nigerians are doing here.

Hmmmmmmmmm! What a statement from a supposedly wise Nigerian! Do you need to be told that LEADERSHIP MUST BE SELFLESS IN NATURE?

Kobojunkie has actually attended to your misconception, propaganda and pietistical stance. All I need add is that, either you are not honest with yourself or that the policy of multivariate analysis is very strange to you.
Re: Obasanjo Compares Nigeria And Congo, 47 Years After by BigB11(m): 3:21am On Oct 07, 2007
[b]On the state of the nation after the 47th Independence Anniversary, Babangida said the country was not doing badly, compared to other nations that are about 100 years old.
“I was born before independence so I know where Nigeria was before, after independence and during the civil war. I think we’re trying very hard when you compare it with other nations about 100 years old".
[/b]IBB, 10/06/07

You make your judgement!

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Has Mandela Done For Africa? / Jonathan May Sack Mdas’ Chiefs For Distorting 2012 Budget / Nigeria’s Zimbabwean Farmers: Nothing Like Chicken Feed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.