Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,729 members, 7,875,829 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 10:32 PM

The NBA Begins - Sports (2262) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1669654 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2259) (2260) (2261) (2262) (2263) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 11:06am On Jun 23
Roland17:

It was until it isn’t anymore. The Oilers were down 3-0 in a 7 game series but have gone on a 3 game winning streak to now tie the series. The Oilers have perhaps the most talented player in the NHL today and the only thing missing in his cabinet is a Stanley Cup. Monday is game 7 in Florida and it would be wild..
3-0 is actually not a death sentence in hockey. Multiple teams have actually blown 3-0 leads. I recall Sharks vs Kings a few years back

Kings came back from 3-0 down in the first round. Went on to win the cup
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 4:50pm On Jun 23
benji93:
Oh, the league didn't keep records? And was the game you watched on youtube a full game? Please answer these questions and tag the youtube video. Thank you. cheesy

One thing with you MJ defenders on this matter is that while you try to brush it off as irrelevant or false, you also try to stylishly accept that it might have been true because it was not only MJ's stats that were padded in those days.

You people need to stay in one place. It's either you accept that the padding actually happened and therefore influenced the voters during his DPOY season, or you deny that it never happened and live with the repercussions when we bring you more glaring evidence that it actually did grin

Let's know where you stand. Let's know if you're a true basketball head who would stand for following the rules of the game whether the argument favours your beloved or not, or if you throw that all away in favour of dumbly fighting for your man at all cost
Re: The NBA Begins by benji93: 11:52pm On Jun 23
There's an issue there i agree, which perhaps needs clarification. But you cannot definitively determine it was not a 10-steals game unless you see the full game. They can just upload the full game somewhere so we can all confirm this, and not just tell us that, oh they checked the full game and it was indeed 6 steals not 10.
Khanben:

The league didn't have its own record keepers in that era, so each home team recorded the boxscores for the game. Unlike now where the teams have theirs, plus the nbas guys and also all sports books have multiple people checking to make sure that boxscores are accurate.
As for the 10 steals game, it's not a full game on youtube but a 4 minute highlight reel on nba.com. the title says 10 steals, but after watching it, you will only see 6 steals.
This highlight reel is what prompted the Latvian nba historian to look into the whole 1988 Jordan steals and block stats. He could only find 6 home games and with the Yahoo sports writer as the other watcher, they found 12 steals while the boxscores gave MJ 28.

PS: The Latvian historian has other stories he himself have published about stats juicing, from van excel 25 assist games (he saw at most 17, and in his opinion that is with stretching the definition of what an assist was). Also, the 15-block Shaq game, the tape, showed about 10
Re: The NBA Begins by benji93: 11:57pm On Jun 23
I won't be surprised if this is true for good reasons, and ofcourse it would be easier to get away with that then. However, all you need to do is send us the full game. Period. If it's so i will admit it.
steady986:

One thing with you MJ defenders on this matter is that while you try to brush it off as irrelevant or false, you also try to stylishly accept that it might have been true because it was not only MJ's stats that were padded in those days.

You people need to stay in one place. It's either you accept that the padding actually happened and therefore influenced the voters during his DPOY season, or you deny that it never happened and live with the repercussions when we bring you more glaring evidence that it actually did grin

Let's know where you stand. Let's know if you're a true basketball head who would stand for following the rules of the game whether the argument favours your beloved or not, or if you throw that all away in favour of dumbly fighting for your man at all cost
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 1:45am On Jun 24
A40:
You know Bronsexuals are desperate when they start bringing up steals from 36 years ago. A Stat that doesn't even influence winning or losing and anyone with a working brain knows this was likely a league wide thing

Anyways warra 5th ring and DPOY for LeNomad grin

MJ fans can just be delusional, one of the guys involved in this has already published work on Van exel's 25 assists game, Shaq's 15 block game and nobody called it witch hunting but talk about MJ and it becomes about LeBron.
A Latvian historian while looking through the record books noticed that a player got more steals than the opposition got TOs in one game, and also noticed again that the same player got the same amount of steals in another games as the opposition got TOs which implied that there was no deadball TOs which is ridiculous. This dude watched basketball when it was on tape delay in Europe in the 1980s, but that is who you are accusing of being a LeBron Stan.
Just ridiculous, the fact is pre 2000s there was a lot of juicing of home stats, and pointing it out is not and will never be a witchhunt.

PS : Also, the second guy involved in the research was one of the guys who helped confirm that JJJ DPOY numbers were not juiced when the grizzlies were accused of cooking his blocks stats
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 1:50am On Jun 24
benji93:
I won't be surprised if this is true for good reasons, and ofcourse it would be easier to get away with that then. However, all you need to do is send us the full game. Period. If it's so i will admit it.

That is where I also stand, the nba or a private collector should have all those games and I for one will be interested in reading/watching a deep dive on thise games and not just MJs, also some of those ridiculous John Stockton assist numbers.
That is where modern basketball trives, the other year people accused the Grizzlies of juicing JJJ stats and the writer of the yahoo sports article was one of those who did the review of every home game and confirmed that his stats were just as counted.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 9:22am On Jun 24
Khanben:

MJ fans can just be delusional, one of the guys involved in this has already published work on Van exel's 25 assists game, Shaq's 15 block game and nobody called it witch hunting but talk about MJ and it becomes about LeBron.
A Latvian historian while looking through the record books noticed that a player got more steals than the opposition got TOs in one game, and also noticed again that the same player got the same amount of steals in another games as the opposition got TOs which implied that there was no deadball TOs which is ridiculous. This dude watched basketball when it was on tape delay in Europe in the 1980s, but that is who you are accusing of being a LeBron Stan.
Just ridiculous, the fact is pre 2000s there was a lot of juicing of home stats, and pointing it out is not and will never be a witchhunt.

PS : Also, the second guy involved in the research was one of the guys who helped confirm that JJJ DPOY numbers were not juiced when the grizzlies were accused of cooking his blocks stats
Then don't present the information like MJ was solely guilty of this you doofus. Below shows these discrepancy has usually been a thing same way assist stats are inflated today

Writing such an article and singling out just MJ definitely makes it look like a witch hunt especially when the only year you reference is the year he won a DPOY. Then you don't even gather extensive proof you take an extremely small sample size to prove what exactly. 6 games??

And pretending this is not tied to Bron as his minions have largely been responsible for pushing this article out there is just you being deliberately obtuse. Mind you this is the same person that wrote an article asking if Bronny James is underrated

FOH with that man.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 7:51pm On Jun 24
benji93:

There are actually full game footages. One Tom Haberstroh from Yahoo sports said he watched 6 full consecutive home games in that 88 season. MJ was credited 28 steals in that stretch, but he counted only 12 correct steals. In fact, in one of the games, MJ had more steals than the other team had turnovers.

https://sports.yahoo.com/a-closer-look-at-michael-jordans-1988-dpoy-award-raises-questions-about-its-validity-has-lebron-james-been-chasing-a-ghost-140452567.html
Re: The NBA Begins by benji93: 11:58pm On Jun 24
Hellooooooo, and you just went with it because he said so? He didn't even reference the games he watched and when they were played so that we can have some direction in our search. A reference to where wee can get those full games would be great. This doesn't augur well for you. You can't just make such grand claims and not provide suitable references. Again, how do we get those full games?
steady986:

There are actually full game footages. One Tom Haberstroh from Yahoo sports said he watched 6 full consecutive home games in that 88 season. MJ was credited 28 steals in that stretch, but he counted only 12 correct steals. In fact, in one of the games, MJ had more steals than the other team had turnovers.

https://sports.yahoo.com/a-closer-look-at-michael-jordans-1988-dpoy-award-raises-questions-about-its-validity-has-lebron-james-been-chasing-a-ghost-140452567.html
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 12:15am On Jun 25
benji93:
Hellooooooo, and you just went with it because he said so? He didn't even reference the games he watched and when they were played so that we can have some direction in our search. A reference to where wee can get those full games would be great. This doesn't augur well for you. You can't just make such grand claims and not provide suitable references. Again, how do we get those full games?

The six full games we found tapes for from Jordan’s Defensive Player of the Year campaign:

Atlanta at Chicago: Nov. 20, 1987

Indiana at Chicago: Jan. 5, 1988

Denver at Chicago: Jan. 7, 1988

Detroit at Chicago: Jan. 16, 1988

Atlanta at Chicago: Feb. 15, 1988

Boston at Chicago: Mar. 18, 1988

PS: one of the reasons they published is to see if the publicity can get them access to more full game tape. The ones they got were from vhs tapings of nba Europe

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 12:51am On Jun 25
benji93:

Bros, that's why I posted a link for you there. In that link there is a full report of exactly what was done and how it was done. The article is very long, but you can scroll down to the part with the heading "The Man in Latvia", you'd find the games there with links to their boxscores.

Re: The NBA Begins by chic2pimp(m): 1:39am On Jun 25
This game is finely balanced.
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 1:39am On Jun 25
The pace of the NHL game 7 is wild. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked.
Are the games always like this? It is ridiculous in a very good way WOW. Just WOW
Re: The NBA Begins by benji93: 1:40am On Jun 25
Better. You referenced the dates. One more thing though. Can you provide a link to the full games though? Did you find the full games? Or are you quoting an article in which it was claimed they did?

Oh wait you mention it's on Vhs taping. It's not online?
Khanben:

The six full games we found tapes for from Jordan’s Defensive Player of the Year campaign:

Atlanta at Chicago: Nov. 20, 1987

Indiana at Chicago: Jan. 5, 1988

Denver at Chicago: Jan. 7, 1988

Detroit at Chicago: Jan. 16, 1988

Atlanta at Chicago: Feb. 15, 1988

Boston at Chicago: Mar. 18, 1988

PS: one of the reasons they published is to see if the publicity can get them access to more full game tape. The ones they got were from vhs tapings of nba Europe

Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 1:49am On Jun 25
Khanben:
The pace of the NHL game 7 is wild. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked.
Are the games always like this? It is ridiculous in a very good way WOW. Just WOW

Both teams are skating hard, this is one of the biggest adjustments that the Oilers made that helped them get back in this series. Their forecheck has also improved as they are pressing the puck and covering the openings pretty high.
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 1:52am On Jun 25
Roland17:

Both teams are skating hard, this is one of the biggest adjustments that the Oilers made that helped them get back in this series. Their forecheck has also improved as they are pressing the puck and covering the openings pretty high.

This is my first time watching ice hockey. I don't understand the tactics, but the athleticism is incredible. No one is giving an inch at all, shocked shocked

. I just dey fear for those referees grin
Re: The NBA Begins by benji93: 2:00am On Jun 25
That's ok. Yes, i took a cursory look at the report. I am still looking for evidence to back up this claim though. A 4-minute video is probably ok for a report, to put the specific games in perspective, but full-game video would be needed to confirm this claim. Are the full-game videos not available online?

NB: I found a website that has a database of a lot of games. But i wasn't able to find a full game video.
https://www.usasportsondvd.com/database-filter?issearch=1&theme=database&isc=1&dtrange=range&sdate=1987-11-01&edate=1987-12-31&tags_id[0]=1&tags_id[1]=8&category_id=5
steady986:

Bros, that's why I posted a link for you there. In that link there is a full report of exactly what was done and how it was done. The article is very long, but you can scroll down to the part with the heading "The Man in Latvia", you'd find the games there with links to their boxscores.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 10:06am On Jun 25
What an epic game. I do feel for the Oilers. To come back and still lose has gotta hurt as hell.

Anyway Conor still won the Conn Smythe so he at least got some silverware. The wait for a Canadian team to win the cup continues and the Panthers become a first time winner.

Well deserved for Paul Maurice. Something about long time coaches finally breaking through that's immensely satisfying. And then consider they lost last year. Imagine the calamity if they became the first team in almost 80 years to blow a 3-0 lead in the Finals after losing last year's finals
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 10:59am On Jun 25
benji93:
That's ok. Yes, i took a cursory look at the report. I am still looking for evidence to back up this claim though. A 4-minute video is probably ok for a report, to put the specific games in perspective, but full-game video would be needed to confirm this claim. Are the full-game videos not available online?

NB: I found a website that has a database of a lot of games. But i wasn't able to find a full game video.
https://www.usasportsondvd.com/database-filter?issearch=1&theme=database&isc=1&dtrange=range&sdate=1987-11-01&edate=1987-12-31&tags_id[0]=1&tags_id[1]=8&category_id=5
Do you know that with all their noise there's no game Jordan was credited with more than 6 steals.

And there was no game where there were same or more Steals by Jordan than Turnovers by the other team.

When I say Bronsexualism na mental illness it would sound like I'm doing too much

So out of a sample size of 41 these charlatans brought 6 games as proof. In what industry is such small sample size acceptable grin

How do we know that MJ's steals on the road were not under counted grin

When you want to run campaign of calumny you should be able to compile more than 6 games
Re: The NBA Begins by chic2pimp(m): 1:51pm On Jun 25
Good thing the Panthers avoided one of the most disastrous and shambolic meltdowns in sports history. There simply would have been no coming back from that. Happy for the Tychuk family too.
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 8:28am On Jun 26
I'm just wondering why we have to keep Klay Thompson; even worse is paying him so much.
We can focus on Kuminga+Moody's development and get a decent Center. How hard is that ffs?
Re: The NBA Begins by benji93: 5:40pm On Jun 26
Even with their 6-game sample, make them bring full game. The reporter talk say him watch full game. Where he dey? cheesy grin
A40:
Do you know that with all their noise there's no game Jordan was credited with more than 6 steals.

And there was no game where there were same or more Steals by Jordan than Turnovers by the other team.

When I say Bronsexualism na mental illness it would sound like I'm doing too much

So out of a sample size of 41 these charlatans brought 6 games as proof. In what industry is such small sample size acceptable grin

How do we know that MJ's steals on the road were not under counted grin

When you want to run campaign of calumny you should be able to compile more than 6 games
Re: The NBA Begins by larride(m): 3:45am On Jun 27
Denver drafts a center from Suns on draft night.
Re: The NBA Begins by chic2pimp(m): 5:38am On Jun 27
Yh this draft is a bit weak at the Top. The top draft pick Risaccher is projecte to be a High level 3 and D and tbh I don't see it especially on the D part. His Defense is very average and I really don't see it improving that much as is athleticism and defensive instinct are below par.

He is als not a high volume 3 point shooter although that will improve with time. Alex Sarr is a 5 with a broken shot that wants to play the 4 but has off now not got the skillset to play
Power forward.

larride:
Denver drafts a center from Suns on draft night.

Daron is currently more of a PF than a C.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 9:00am On Jun 27
I no even sabi who's who for this draft but I heard the Timberwolves got the steal of the draft
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 9:03am On Jun 27
benji93:
Even with their 6-game sample, make them bring full game. The reporter talk say him watch full game. Where he dey? cheesy grin
Mscheww. People wey dey craze. If you can't be arsed to do comprehensive work then you're just clout chasing
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 12:15pm On Jun 27
weakest draft ever? Make we dey look

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by larride(m): 12:36pm On Jun 27
chic2pimp:
Yh this draft is a bit weak at the Top. The top draft pick Risaccher is projecte to be a High level 3 and D and tbh I don't see it especially on the D part. His Defense is very average and I really don't see it improving that much as is athleticism and defensive instinct are below par.

He is als not a high volume 3 point shooter although that will improve with time. Alex Sarr is a 5 with a broken shot that wants to play the 4 but has off now not got the skillset to play
Power forward.

Daron is currently more of a PF than a C.

I didnt watch the draft, was just getting notification from espn. They listed Daron as a Center.
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 2:08pm On Jun 27
My Celtics drafted Scheierman from Baylor whom I watched closely last season. He is the perfect for this team. He can play 1-4, 5 if we want to go small. I don’t think he plays a serious role but he does have skill sets that many of our outside rotational players lack.
#Greenrunsdeep
Re: The NBA Begins by larride(m): 11:45pm On Jun 27
Lakers really draft Bronny.

Lmao

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 1:11am On Jun 28
If your kids ever asked you how great LeBron was, show them this photo.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2259) (2260) (2261) (2262) (2263) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: aliondo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.