Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,132 members, 7,907,107 topics. Date: Thursday, 01 August 2024 at 12:08 AM

House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal (20161 Views)

No Going Back On Subsidy Removal - FG / Senate Passes Motion Abolishing N702 Fixed Electricity Charges and Others / BREAKING: Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Speaker Tambuwal’s Seat . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by OmoTier1(m): 6:44pm On Jan 08, 2012
xtremeidea:

[size=18pt]Ok the reps has spoken. Oya uncle Jona we are waiting for your response. [/size]
No response! In civilized clime, as the legislative arm has taken a stand, you will get an immediate response from the excutive arm. Espect GEJ to complete his mid night meetings before you would hear from the infamous Reuben Abati!
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by KnowAll(m): 6:46pm On Jan 08, 2012
THE President can use the resolution to back track and save face. It is better for the house to reject the proposal than for the President to fall on his sword and accept a reversal of his intention. That would make him look like a clown. Who knows whether it is even the President urging the house to turn down the bill since he(THE President) cannot face Ngozi  and tell her to her face this thing cannot not work for now.

But I personally still support the removal of any subsidy, it is a drain to our economy no matter how we look at it.
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jan 08, 2012
Motion is not a bill. I wonder if many people here have actually attended a congress, its just a statement !!
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by chimauga(m): 6:48pm On Jan 08, 2012
becouse ppl have said that is why they are reacting,but that will not pay nigerians , we want actions ,
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by xynerise: 6:48pm On Jan 08, 2012
I am still not convinced with d cunny decision of the senators. Look the they discussed issues frivolously as if the matter on ground is already settled. I was actually waiting for one person to mention their allowance but none did. They are all thieves. This country is still undergoing political instability. I pray tomorrow will be a better day in Nigeria. Amen
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jan 08, 2012
The Nigerian people have rejected this policy

The house has rejected this fuel subsidy removal

The Presidency has no choice right now but to listen to the Nigerian people.

Remember it was down to the Petroleum Pricing commission to announce this removal and the relationship between that body and the house is yet to be explored! So no need talking about Senate or the Presidents veto powers.

This issue is more complicated than it seems and the smart thing for Jonathan right now is to reverse this removal and change tactics. He is no Obasanjo and can not run unpopular policies. If he carries on like this he will be in trouble.
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by Aluksboy(m): 6:51pm On Jan 08, 2012
i giv dem a thumbs up, we're heading somewhere
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by vanstanzy(m): 6:53pm On Jan 08, 2012
grin grin grin[b]Guyz lets be realistic, its a darn good move by the honourable house. Though just an advise to ASO ROCK COCONUT HEAD.
And for those clamouring for salary cut, i earnestly pray our prayers will be answered. Cos the fact still remains that they are brood of vipers milking this nation dry.[/b] angry angry angry
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by chakula: 6:54pm On Jan 08, 2012
It was said that the reps don't have a right to halt the FG from removing subsidy. My question here was it true?
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by Oluti(m): 6:54pm On Jan 08, 2012
It is not time to celebrate. I had wanted the issue of reduction in cost of running govt at all level to be addressed by the occupy Nig and not just fuel subsidy. I predict that in a couple of months we will be begging to buy pms at any price. I spent 30years in the downstream sector and I know how things worked.  The best thing to happen in the industry is the deregulation but I agree that a lot of things need to be put in place first. Ghana did it but people are not complaning because there is regular power supply. The politicians dont earn and streal as much as our own etc. So I still think the strike should have been a protest about the cost of running govt and stealing of our collective resources by the few that are rulling us.
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by Beaf: 7:00pm On Jan 08, 2012
[size=21pt]Let us not forget that funding the NASS takes 25% of the budget as Sanusi made clear. That is an equivalent amount to the fuel subsidy.
Why did they not cut their salaries?
[/size]
angry angry angry
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by Omezu(m): 7:02pm On Jan 08, 2012
Just watching to see what will become of this country.
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by Nobody: 7:02pm On Jan 08, 2012
If Jonathan is worth his manhood what he needs to do now then is reverse this subsidy removal and also promise that the treasury will come up with plans to reduce allowances in the NASS.

Thats what a real man will do.

Thumbs up to NASS for manning up and responding to the will of the Nigerian people. Very commendable.
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by olak2k8: 7:03pm On Jan 08, 2012
I wonder why the reps did not cut their salaries?
Why did they also reject a motion to investigate, arrest and prosecute the cabal? Is it because they are members?
Shine your eyes.

we need 2 have a second thought why rejecting that motion
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jan 08, 2012
Beaf:

[size=21pt]Let us not forget that funding the NASS takes 25% of the budget as Sanusi made clear. That is an equivalent amount to the fuel subsidy.
Why did they not cut their salaries?
[/size]
angry angry angry

Jonathan can send a bill to the NASS demanding this cut.

It must not be proposed by the NASS.

This is the job of the President and his treasury.
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by yinchar(m): 7:04pm On Jan 08, 2012
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by OmoTier1(m): 7:05pm On Jan 08, 2012
KnowAll:

THE President can use the resolution to back track and save face. It is better for the house to reject the proposal than for the President to fall on his sword and accept a reversal of his intention. That would make him look like a clown. Who knows whether it is even the President urging the house to turn down the bill since he(THE President) cannot face Ngozi  and tell her to her face this thing cannot not work for now.

But I personally still support the removal of any subsidy, it is a drain to our economy no matter how we look at it.
Look, any sane and reasonable Nigerian would support the removal of subsidy, but not in a manner the FG has gone about it. From day one, GEJ's government has been suffering from credibility and trust. After 100days in office, Nigerians saw no show! He response to the disquiet amongst Nigerians coud have best be described as timid!

His so much talked about consultation became a smoke screen of deceit! Claimed to be engaging with the stakeholders in Nigeria, and all of a sudden after the visit of IMF cheif, GEJ turned His face against dialogue and became dictatorial!

No doubt, Subsidy is bound to go BUT, GEJ must put the horse before the cart and not the other way around. Fix refinery, build roads, revamp border security, and reform NNPC!

Even at that, if adequate measures are not put in place to make sure those TEMPROARILY given permission to import fuel do not in themselves become a cabal that would dictate the eventual pump price, Nigerians may well yet become victims of high level power play! Imagine if the major importers decide to strike 'cos government refuse their request to up the price of pump price? There are a whole lot of issues and scinarios that has to be thought out and adequately addressed before subsidy can be removed. Give Nigerians 6-Months, embark on these reforms, with the massive support this government had at the very beginning, she could have suceeded in 'stabbing' a knife through these so called cabal without her bleeding, again that is if the FG is not part of the cabal
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by 989900: 7:06pm On Jan 08, 2012
Look at this yeye people. Because, it has come to reduction of salary, they immediately wake up from their slumber. These guys are not representing us. They are just protecting their pocket. Executive has reduced their salary. It is suppose to be their turn. Can this 9ja ever get better with this selfish people we have all around us as leaders?

So sad.

Is there any Nigerian politician or office holder fully representing the people i.e. putting the people's interest ahead of theirs and their sponsors?

Cabal , Mafia, Cartel, who created them? who owns them?

How did the subsidy funds more than tripled in a  year thereabout?

Why won't our refineries work?

Why should you trust a gov't (not only GEJ's gov't) that can't manage just 4 refineries in an oil producing state properly, with executing 1.3 trillion Naira properly (making sure the benefits of the removal surpasses the additional burden of extra 76naira/litre)?

Why should you trust the president or any elected officer in this gov't or the past with the insane amount of corruption and misappropriation we all can see going on?

If the gov't's sincere, why can't they "earn the people's trust" by proactive actions instead of begging "trust us"?

unlimited thought provoking questions actually.

Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by success4(m): 7:06pm On Jan 08, 2012
hmmmmm, I pray this nasty and senseless government heed the cry of the masses
It is only a fool that would support subsidy removal in a country of ours!

@Omo_Tier1
I had toldyou to always IGNORE an accursed person with that we will silent agent of GEJ and PDP
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by juman(m): 7:07pm On Jan 08, 2012
Omezu:

Just watching to see what will become of this country.
^^^^
The country will be divided.

More than 400 members of national assembly with their very big salaries!

nigeria is a country that cannot be redeemed.
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by Beaf: 7:08pm On Jan 08, 2012
mikeansy:

GEJ has proposed a cut in NASS funding in every budget, but they always vote it out; if you recall, there was a quarrel in early December b/w NASS and FG about the same thing. The onus is on the NASS, they are just there to reap the country off.
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by ak4God(m): 7:08pm On Jan 08, 2012
For the " Office of the SGF" only
Electricity charges: 137 million
Telephone charges: 11 million
Water rates: 5.6 million
Sewages charges: 15 million
, Office stationeries/Computer consumables: 71 million
Magazines & periodicals: 10.4 million
Teaching AIDS/Instruction materials: 13.8 million
Maintenance of motor vehicle: 16 million
Maintenance of office furntiture: 5.5 million
Maintenance of building: 4.8 million
Maintenance of office / IT equipments: 8.6million
Maintenance of plants/ generators: 3 million
Other Maintenance services: 4.3 million
Security services: 180 million
Office Rent: 201 million
Security vote (including operations) : 84 million
Motor Vehicle fuel cost: 24 million
Plant / Generator fuel cost: 21 million
Refreshment and meals: 40 million
Honorarium & sitting allowance: 1.1 trillion
Publicity & advertisements: 37 million
Medical espenses: 30.7 million
Postages & courier services: 3 million
Welfare packages: 524 million
Subscription to professional bodies: 356 million
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by OmoTier1(m): 7:09pm On Jan 08, 2012
mikeansy:

Exactly! In a democracy, the Executive drives much of what goes on in the economy and the legislative 'regulate'! If GEJ is serious, send a bill to NASS cutting all salaries and allowances of all top excutives on government payroll. Weep the public to support the course and see if the NASS would not bow! At the same time, He would show real balls in the fight against corruption. You would even suprise that prices of goods and commoditiy in Nigeria will fall, 'cos prices on goods and services in Nigeria are hugely 'artificial'.
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by matty1024: 7:09pm On Jan 08, 2012
The House Representative honestly do not mean good either for us,
I was expecting them to do something sensible that will Like Cutting
their salaries, just similar to the executives. I am not in support of the
petroleum subsidy removal at this moment, but I think the executives
are more trustworthy than the legislative arms.
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jan 08, 2012
Omo_Tier1:

Exactly! In a democracy, the Executive drives much of what goes on in the economy and the legislative 'regulate'! If GEJ is serious, send a bill to NASS cutting all salaries and allowances of all top excutives on government payroll. Weep the public to support the course and see if the NASS would not bow! At the same time, He would show real balls in the fight against corruption. You would even suprise that prices of goods and commoditiy in Nigeria will fall, 'cos prices on goods and services in Nigeria are hugely 'artificial'.

Exactly my point. Tap the current anger in the country, send a bill to cut NASS wages and tell the Nigerian people if that bill gets passed fuel subsidy removal will be reversed!

You can not sit there and do nothing and call youself President.
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by OmoTier1(m): 7:13pm On Jan 08, 2012
ak4God:

For the " Office of the SGF" only
Electricity charges: 137 million
Telephone charges: 11 million
Water rates: 5.6 million
Sewages charges: 15 million
,  Office stationeries/Computer consumables: 71 million
Magazines & periodicals: 10.4 million
Teaching AIDS/Instruction materials: 13.8 million
Maintenance of motor vehicle: 16 million
Maintenance of office furntiture: 5.5 million
Maintenance of building: 4.8 million
Maintenance of office / IT equipments: 8.6million
Maintenance of plants/ generators: 3 million
Other Maintenance services: 4.3 million
Security services: 180 million
Office Rent: 201 million
Security vote (including operations) : 84 million
Motor Vehicle fuel cost: 24 million
Plant / Generator fuel cost: 21 million
Refreshment and meals: 40 million
Honorarium & sitting allowance: 1.1 trillion
Publicity & advertisements: 37 million
Medical espenses: 30.7 million
Postages & courier services: 3 million
Welfare packages: 524 million
Subscription to professional bodies: 356 million
At the bold, I would build a self regenerating power plant for the VP at far lower cost! How much will it cost to build a 10MW wind turbine sub station for the VP complex? Same goes for the office of the President. This you would do under six months and you would save so much within 3years.

Beaf:

GEJ has proposed a cut in NASS funding in every budget, but they always vote it out; if you recall, there was a quarrel in early December b/w NASS and FG about the same thing. The onus is on the NASS, they are just there to reap the country off.
Again I say sut it in there!!, NASS refused GEJ's proposal 'cos they could not identify any where in the budget where GEJ has made similar cuts in the excutive arm. GEJ played into the cries of Sanusi and He tried to play politics with it, unfortunately it back fired at him.
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by OmoTier1(m): 7:15pm On Jan 08, 2012
mikeansy:

Exactly my point. Tap the current anger in the country, send a bill to cut NASS wages and tell the Nigerian people if that bill gets passed fuel subsidy removal will be reversed!

You can not sit there and do nothing and call youself President.
@ bold, He is wishing on 'luck' yet again! When has He ever been proactive
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by donnelly(m): 7:16pm On Jan 08, 2012
Don't mind those clown majority of them have been bribe by the cabal , are they not seeing the effort mr president is making to reduce pain on transportation  and other things .instead of them to cut down their salaries  at least to 20%, so that we as country can face other challengers.
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by Nobody: 7:18pm On Jan 08, 2012
There has to be cuts from all arms of Government and it is down for the President to drive it.

We also have to look at this free-of-charge peace keeping missions we do in Africa. We need to start choosing what wars to get involved in in Africa.
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by goldng: 7:20pm On Jan 08, 2012
Right step in the right direction!!!
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by muyoto: 7:20pm On Jan 08, 2012
KnowAll:

I disagree. It would make him look like president who listens to people.
Re: House Of Reps Passes Motion To Reverse Subsidy Removal - Sai, Tambuwal by OmoTier1(m): 7:23pm On Jan 08, 2012
mikeansy:

There has to be cuts from all arms of Government and it is down for the President to drive it.

We also have to look at this free-of-charge peace keeping missions we do in Africa. We need to start choosing what wars to get involved in in Africa.
Ther eare whole lots of issues that we need to address! Do you know how much Nigeria has given out to Benin Republic, Sao Tome, in form of "support" without any corresponding interest to the Nigerian masses? Remember the $10million largeness of GEJ to The President of Benin Republic which He never got the approval of the NASS for?

I think onething is now clear: We have a generation of leadership in Nigeria who do not care one bit about the yet unborns  and the living Nigerians! Their talks would suggest they do, but their actions clear shows where their loyalty lies and that is why We must resist NOW or face hardship in real time soonest!

GEJ either resign now or seize this clamour by Nigerians on the street to engage in REAL structural reforms that include constitutional changes to the way and manner we create wealth and spend same in this country of ours!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Buhari Listed As A Famous Dictator On Same Site That Listed Him As Alumni / Part Of Aisha Alhassan's Address To Chibok Girls' Parents (Video) / APC Lawmakers Elect To March Into Rivers House Of Assembly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.