Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,909 members, 7,909,416 topics. Date: Saturday, 03 August 2024 at 02:25 AM

It’s Difficult To Get Boko Haram For Talks – Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / It’s Difficult To Get Boko Haram For Talks – Jonathan (6014 Views)

Tunde Bakare Worried That APC Govt Is Finding It Difficult To Bring "Change" / Adebayo Shittu: "No Comment On Boko Haram, For My Family's Safety” / President Obama Invites Jonathan For Talks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

It’s Difficult To Get Boko Haram For Talks – Jonathan by damoskiy(m): 12:43am On Jan 27, 2012
It’s difficult to get Boko Haram for talks – Jonathan
January 27, 2012 by Agency Reporter 3 Comments

PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan on Thursday said members of the violent Islamic sect, Boko Haram, were difficult to negotiate with because they lacked identity.

Jonathan said this during an interview conducted by Reuters in the Presidential Villa.

The violent Islamic sect launched coordinated attacks on Kano on Friday over killing of 186 people.

Jonathan said, “If they clearly identify themselves now and say this is the reason why we are resisting, this is the reason why we are confronting government or this is the reason why we destroy of some innocent people and their property … then there will be a basis for dialogue.

“We will dialogue, let us know your problems and we will solve your problem but if they don’t identify themselves, who will you dialogue with?” (sic)

He, however, added that talks with the group could be difficult because the Islamic sect doesn’t have a clear public figurehead that could be invited for talks.

“If anybody invited Osama bin Laden (to talks), he wouldn’t have appeared … Boko Haram, if you invite them, they will not come. They operate without a face, they operate without a clear identity, so it is difficult to interface with such a group.

“That is the greatest difference between Boko Haram … and the Niger Delta issue. There is no clear thing to say: this is what we want.”

While deconstructing the problem, the President told his interviewers that the North’s high unemployment pushed many youths into the ranks of the sect.

He said, “Military confrontation alone will not eliminate terror attacks. Our commitment is to make sure our irrigation programmes are all revitalised so most of these young people are engaged in productive agriculture and … will not be free for them to recruit.

“There is a lot of evidence, there are linkages … no doubt about that. Meetings are being held in North Africa, the movement of people in these places have been monitored and noticed. The level of involvement and probably in terms of funding and equipment, I do not know.”

Asked to comment on the recent warning by Professor Wole Soyinka that Nigeria might be headed towards a civil war, the President replied that this was unlikely.

“There is no way Nigeria will go into civil war. These are different situations,” Jonathan said, adding that violence in modern day Nigeria was conducted by “pressure groups” using it to intimidate and threaten rather than full blown armies.

As for the service and security chiefs, the President said, “They are trying. Terrorism is new in Nigeria, and since it’s new, the security services have to change their methods. You cannot change methods overnight. But we will do more.”

The journalists asked the President if he subscribed to the widespread idea that some northern politicians disgruntled at the election of a Christian southerner were trying to destabilise his government.

He said, “I will not rule out that maybe some politicians get close to some members of Boko Haram, but I will not say that Boko Haram is a political group trying to undo Goodluck Jonathan.

“I cannot say it’s because a southerner and Christian is president that the Boko Haram saga comes up.”

On the fuel subsidy crisis, Jonathan said reports of corruption in the oil ministry and elsewhere were being investigated. He, however, said that he would not sack anyone in the ministry until he saw proof of misconduct.

He said, “Nigerians are angry about certain things government has not been able to conclude very quickly … You cannot sentence a person without trial.

“I believe that before the end of February, I’m very hopeful, we’ll submit it to the national assembly.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/its-difficult-to-get-boko-haram-for-talks-jonathan/
Re: It’s Difficult To Get Boko Haram For Talks – Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 12:48am On Jan 27, 2012
talk what now? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided how much settlement dem want?
Re: It’s Difficult To Get Boko Haram For Talks – Jonathan by Kilode1: 12:53am On Jan 27, 2012
Summary of this interview = Let's just manage the country like that embarassed

Seeking Radical reform? Sorry, this man cannot do it.
Re: It’s Difficult To Get Boko Haram For Talks – Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 1:01am On Jan 27, 2012
ROFLMAO!!! Just heard on Aljazeera that Boko Haram responded with warnings of more attacks. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Nigerians, na so e be for una for najia??
Re: It’s Difficult To Get Boko Haram For Talks – Jonathan by kizito96(m): 10:02am On Jan 27, 2012
What type of settlement do they want? people who cannot read or write or speak
Re: It’s Difficult To Get Boko Haram For Talks – Jonathan by Nwaaba1(m): 10:02am On Jan 27, 2012
Amnesty, will him be able to provide 7 virgins  for each and every one of them  grin
Re: It’s Difficult To Get Boko Haram For Talks – Jonathan by Korrection(m): 10:12am On Jan 27, 2012
my liver don dey fail for GEJ matter oh
Re: It’s Difficult To Get Boko Haram For Talks – Jonathan by nasty45(m): 10:14am On Jan 27, 2012
GEJ U DE FALL MY HAND. U d find their face? d ones wey u catch una com let am go. i sure d search for dt sokoto guy don cool down. D guy go d flex anywr e de nw wit golden spoon wit northern leaders. Mk i com do ja comot for naija
Re: It’s Difficult To Get Boko Haram For Talks – Jonathan by iykak47: 10:18am On Jan 27, 2012
Kobojunkie:

ROFLMAO!!! Just heard on Aljazeera that Boko Haram responded with warnings of more attacks. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Akpa amu how much  did you receive from boko haram?
It would be nice to give you  a  serious  e-hot slap.
Re: It’s Difficult To Get Boko Haram For Talks – Jonathan by stayreal: 10:29am On Jan 27, 2012
There is no talk for boko haram. Their means of communication is violence which is the language you must speak to them in. Nigeria has turned into the modern day Colesium where we entertain the world with our violence.
Re: It’s Difficult To Get Boko Haram For Talks – Jonathan by Goshen360(m): 10:41am On Jan 27, 2012
I begin to wonder where a country, even her president is negotiating with terrorist is heading to. GEJ better come learn from Obama how to deal with terrorist.
Re: It’s Difficult To Get Boko Haram For Talks – Jonathan by Lasinoh: 10:59am On Jan 27, 2012
True.
They are not Nigerians. kiss
Re: It’s Difficult To Get Boko Haram For Talks – Jonathan by LEXYLOV: 11:06am On Jan 27, 2012
Only a retardeen,clueless and senseless leader like you can negotiate with the terrorists in the first place. Go and meet them in their training camp in maiduguri maybe they will listen to your plea there. Odechukwu fisherman. lipsrsealed
Re: It’s Difficult To Get Boko Haram For Talks – Jonathan by Revolva(m): 11:42am On Jan 27, 2012
I have said it President Jonthan is a lame man[b], how can you negotiate with terrorist you fight terrorist, [/b] Ohhhh God,
Re: It’s Difficult To Get Boko Haram For Talks – Jonathan by ikuoma4rea: 1:02pm On Jan 27, 2012
obama's approach will be diffcult to implement same here.l thinks GEJ should invite these boys and discuss with them.we dont have anything on ground to fight thia guys.
Re: It’s Difficult To Get Boko Haram For Talks – Jonathan by greall12(m): 1:14pm On Jan 27, 2012
Mr president dey don wnt you as president of the nation
Re: It’s Difficult To Get Boko Haram For Talks – Jonathan by dmainboss: 1:23pm On Jan 27, 2012
Why are people in NL so stu.p.i.d? The man didnt say he wanted to negotiate with BH. He was simply responding to a question asking if it was possible to negotiate with them and he was stating the obvious that even if you intended to negotiate, it was virtually impossible because they were faceless.

Do we have to start explaining simply articles here in pidgin for some of you to understand?

Our educational system is really a mess!
Re: It’s Difficult To Get Boko Haram For Talks – Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 1:31pm On Jan 27, 2012
iykak47
Always On The Move, You Dont Stay At A Spot To Watch Masquerade

Akpa amu how much  did you receive from boko haram?
It would be nice to give you  a  serious  e-hot slap.

That there was meant for your mother, right? Sorry, I am not her! Don't worry, if I run into her, I will deliver her son's message to her, but keep looking for her in the meantime.
Re: It’s Difficult To Get Boko Haram For Talks – Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 1:37pm On Jan 27, 2012
dmainboss:

Why are people in NL so stu.p.i.d? The man didnt say he wanted to negotiate with BH. He was simply responding to a question asking if it was possible to negotiate with them and he was stating the obvious that even if you intended to negotiate, it was virtually impossible because they were faceless.

Do we have to start explaining simply articles here in pidgin for some of you to understand?

Before you go calling others st.up.id, make sure you are not yourself presenting a s.t.u.pid argument.

He was asked if it was possible to negotiate with them, and he responds that they should come out and talk. It was recorded on video . . . and broadcasted all over the world on Aljazeera . . . yes, Goodluck Jonathan called on BokoHaram to come out and talk/ let their demands be made known i,e Negotiate a deal  . . . we are talking here of a terrorist group, trying to impose itself on Nigerians, inflicting pain and death . . . a group that killed over 50 Nigerians last year, and have killed well over 250 this January 2012 alone . . . being called on to make their demands known. Really? And you tag others are stu_pid for stating this request from the president is s.tu_pid?

You are right about the Education system there . . . ROFLMAO!!
Re: It’s Difficult To Get Boko Haram For Talks – Jonathan by chines4(m): 1:53pm On Jan 27, 2012
I don't get it, Negotiate with who? kai GEJ liver don cut sad sad sad sad sad
Re: It’s Difficult To Get Boko Haram For Talks – Jonathan by rafou001(m): 2:08pm On Jan 27, 2012
Most of you are very good at criticizing the works of others but I am sure none of you have had the ability to think of any correct answer to BH.
What GEJ said about job creation in the later part of the article is actually a good one.
I don’t see why you are all focusing on the fact that he wants to negotiate. The man has tried to fight them did it work? History will tell you that violence is not a solution to terrorism, How long have nato been fighting in Afghanistan?
Violence is surly not the solution to this problem, BH exist since OBJ regime, it is safe to say they have had the time to be firmly rooted in society.
wink
Re: It’s Difficult To Get Boko Haram For Talks – Jonathan by dmainboss: 2:09pm On Jan 27, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Before you go calling others st.up.id, make sure you are not yourself presenting a silly argument.

He was asked if it was possible to negotiate with them, and he responds that they should come out and talk. It was recorded on video . . . and broadcasted all over the world on Aljazeera . . . yes, Goodluck Jonathan called on BokoHaram to come out and talk/ let them demands be known i,e Negotiate a deal  . . . a terrorist group, trying to impose itself on Nigerians, inflicting pain and death . . . a group that killed over 50 Nigerians last year, and have killed well over 250 this January 2012 alone . . to come out and make their demands known. Really? And you tag others are being stu_pid for stating this request from the president is s.tu_pid?

You are not doing yourself any good bro. Its a pity. Some of you are nothing but arm chair engineers or front desk personnel with zero knowledge of diplomatic processes. You think if Obama were asked the same question, he would respond differently? The reason they say America does not negotiate with terrorist is because terrorists make demands and issue threats to try to get their demands met. You think if hezbolla or Al qaeda were to annouce that they have ceased from violence and ask that the US should look into issues that they feel they are aggrieved about, the US will ignore them and say they dont negotiate with terrorists? You think if the question was put to Obama if there was a possibility they can discuss with Al Qaeda, he will say no?

You think you are intelligent, but you are far from being intelligent. Knowing how to connect wires or networking cables or passing MCSE is not the be all and know all you know. You should broadden your knowledge of life. Join a group and get enlightened bro.
Re: It’s Difficult To Get Boko Haram For Talks – Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 2:14pm On Jan 27, 2012
^^^ This pile of gibberish is what I should take as response to what now?? WOW!!!

Again . , .
Kobojunkie:

Before you go calling others st.up.id, make sure you are not yourself presenting a s.t.u.pid argument.

He was asked if it was possible to negotiate with them, and he responds that they should come out and talk. It was recorded on video . . . and broadcasted all over the world on Aljazeera . . . yes, Goodluck Jonathan called on BokoHaram to come out and talk/ let their demands be made known i,e Negotiate a deal  . . . we are talking here of a terrorist group, trying to impose itself on Nigerians, inflicting pain and death . . . a group that killed over 50 Nigerians last year, and have killed well over 250 this January 2012 alone . . . being called on to make their demands known. Really? And you tag others are stu_pid for stating this request from the president is s.tu_pid?

Re: It’s Difficult To Get Boko Haram For Talks – Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 2:18pm On Jan 27, 2012
rafou001:

Most of you are very good at criticizing the works of others but I am sure none of you have had the ability to think of any correct answer to BH.
What GEJ said about job creation in the later part of the article is actually a good one.
I don’t see why you are all focusing on the fact that he wants to negotiate. The man has tried to fight them did it work? History will tell you that violence is not a solution to terrorism, How long have nato been fighting in Afghanistan?
Violence is surly not the solution to this problem, BH exist since OBJ regime, it is safe to say they have had the time to be firmly rooted in society.
wink

You created a brand new identity just so you can attack others on not seeing this the way you do?

On negotiating  . . . here is something for you to spend some time on. How does a Government negotiate with a terrorist group that is bent on killing as many people as it should to get it's way?
Kobojunkie:

yes, Goodluck Jonathan called on BokoHaram to come out and talk/ let their demands be made known i,e Negotiate a deal  . . . we are talking here of a terrorist group, trying to impose itself on Nigerians, inflicting pain and death . . . a group that killed over 50 Nigerians last year, and have killed well over 250 this January 2012 alone . . . being called on to make their demands known. Really? And you tag others are stu_pid for stating this request from the president is s.tu_pid?

The group has told us so far that

a) It wants Islamic rule in Nigeria
b) It is against Western Education
c) It attacks government groups who attack it
d) It tries to maintain it's attacks in the Northern regions and it seems to be an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY killer gang, meaning it does not discriminate against muslims and Christians on the most part. Of the over 700 people the groups has killed so far, the majority are Hausas and more likely muslims.

So what is boko haram to say in addition to that? What will this round table negotiation be about?
Re: It’s Difficult To Get Boko Haram For Talks – Jonathan by tnktosin(m): 2:33pm On Jan 27, 2012
I don't get it, or maybe GEJ doesn't get it. BH is not ready to talk, they want their demands met shikena. Maybe we'd wait another year for them to re-open negotiations while more lives are wasted. Nigeria is truely in deep shit.
Re: It’s Difficult To Get Boko Haram For Talks – Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 2:38pm On Jan 27, 2012
Similar requests for talks were made last year, and nothing came of those.

Nigeria's government will open talks with an Islamist sect blamed for scores of deadly bomb blasts and shootings in the northeast, a federal government statement said Saturday.

The panel will negotiate with the Boko Haram sect and report back to the government on or before August 16, the statement from the office of the secretary of the federal government said.
[size=13pt]President Goodluck Jonathan has named the seven members of the panel, including the ministers of defence and labour as well as the minister of the Federal Capital Territory, which encompasses Abuja, the statement added.

Describing the panel's duties, it said they would include acting "as a liaison between the federal government ,  and Boko Haram and to initiate negotiations with the sect." It would also work with the national security adviser to ensure the country's security forces were acting with "professionalism," the statement said. Raids[/size]

July 31, 2011, Nigeria Government to Negotiate with Boko Harm Sect

Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan has set up a committee to negotiate with the radical Islamist sect Boko Haram, a group behind almost daily shootings and bomb attacks in the northeast.
FACTBOX-What is Nigeria's Boko Haram?   Sun Jul 31, 2011
Re: It’s Difficult To Get Boko Haram For Talks – Jonathan by laCapri: 2:43pm On Jan 27, 2012
dmainboss:

Don't mind them!
A half-baked graduate would open that gutter he calls mouth to insult GEJ without first reading thru the article properly.
Re: It’s Difficult To Get Boko Haram For Talks – Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 3:01pm On Jan 27, 2012
Nigeria's government will open talks with an Islamist sect blamed for scores of deadly bomb blasts and shootings in the northeast, a federal government statement said Saturday.

The panel will negotiate with the Boko Haram sect and report back to the government on or before August 16, the statement from the office of the secretary of the federal government said.
[size=13pt]President Goodluck Jonathan has named the seven members of the panel, including the ministers of defence and labour as well as the minister of the Federal Capital Territory, which encompasses Abuja, the statement added.

Describing the panel's duties, it said they would include acting "as a liaison between the federal government ,  and Boko Haram and to initiate negotiations with the sect." It would also work with the national security adviser to ensure the country's security forces were acting with "professionalism," the statement said. Raids[/size]

July 31, 2011, Nigeria Government to Negotiate with Boko Harm Sect

Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan has set up a committee to negotiate with the radical Islamist sect Boko Haram, a group behind almost daily shootings and bomb attacks in the northeast.
FACTBOX-What is Nigeria's Boko Haram?   Sun Jul 31, 2011
Re: It’s Difficult To Get Boko Haram For Talks – Jonathan by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jan 27, 2012
gej, as u can see, he is only a lion when dealing with non violent occupy nigeria protesters
turn hardcore terrorists on him, and he reverts to his natural form - whining biatch
Re: It’s Difficult To Get Boko Haram For Talks – Jonathan by Mobinga: 3:09pm On Jan 27, 2012
Re: It’s Difficult To Get Boko Haram For Talks – Jonathan by dayo23(f): 4:08pm On Jan 27, 2012
It a gud idea but wat Gej did dat anoyed me most ws invadin lagos wit soldiers.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Delta To Introduce Automated Fare Collection In State-owned Buses / Baraje, Oyinlola, Others Sue PDP, INEC Over Suspension / Oil Output Hits 2.09m Barrels

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.