Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,242 members, 7,974,158 topics. Date: Sunday, 13 October 2024 at 05:18 PM

Christian Intolerance - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christian Intolerance (1000 Views)

Religious Extremism And Intolerance In Kano: 9 People Sentenced To Death In Kano / Does Christainity Encourage Intolerance And Arrogance? / ** Religious Intolerance In Nigeria- Who Is Culpable?? ** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christian Intolerance by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:33am On Feb 01, 2012
Why are Nigerian christians so aggressive and borderline hostile in promulgating their religious beliefs in what amounts to an imposition? There is this presumptious, sanctimonious arrogance of christians in Nigeria that pees me right off and they just can't take a hint to leave you the f**k alone and live their lives as they see fit.

I'm no believer in any god or deity but I suspect most would feel offended if I was a militant, evangelical atheist who invades your right to serenity in public by broadcasting my beliefs incessantly and loudly with speaker phones and loudspeakers and stopping random people to "preach" to them.

I don't really care what anyone believes but the life of atheists and agnostics like me in Nigeria is a nightmare with everyone judging and disparaging you and generally treating you like an alien. I thought christians are meant to be the persecuted ones rather than the persecutors.

Why are religious people in Nigeria so intolerant? My deeply religious parents would probably disown me if they found out my beliefs. My classmates and room mates in UNN would give me no moment of peace. A previously close cousin of mine is increasingly distant since I revealed my beliefs. I did my SIM registration last year and the registering official would publicly embarrass me because I told him I wasn't christian or muslim.

Do some people even engage their brains to consider:

1) These are imported religions whose founders (particularly Western colonialists) have increasingly abandoned the beliefs and creed they exported to our receptive climes.
2) You'd probably have been purveyors of another belief system in different circumstances. E.g you'd probably be muslim if you were born in Sokoto or Zamfara rather than Lagos or Anambra.

Why do people think your worship of a deity should determine who you are? Why should you feel superior or more morally upright than someone because you attend a church?

Our society really does need enlightenment. Prayer warriors shouting down neighbourhoods everywhere and we still have an incomparably decadent, corrupt depraved society.
Re: Christian Intolerance by LagosShia: 11:08am On Feb 01, 2012
Obi1kenobi:

2) You'd probably have been purveyors of another belief system in different circumstances. E.g you'd probably be muslim if you were born in Sokoto or Zamfara rather than Lagos or Anambra.

while i agree with most of what you said,let me correct the above statement comparing Lagos to Anambra for christianity and say it is not true.there could be more muslims in Lagos than christians.you just need to compare the populations of mosques on fridays to that of churches on sundays.LOL

as for the christian intolerance,faith is a personal thing.in a country like Nigeria where there is religious freedom,you dont go around embrassing people.muslims in nigeria dont go to people's houses knocking on their doors to preach to them.but christians not only in nigeria do that.and sometimes,they  trying to be "convincing" while that can be seen as agressive.that is a way of salesmanship and agressive marketeering of one's product.

you can also take the forum as an example.the intolerance and outright attacks using the most dirty language by christians against what muslims hold sacred.this was very rampant before.

someone even just opened a thread relating to this matter:

"Do Christianity Teaches How To Insult Other Religion?"
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-858656.0.html
Re: Christian Intolerance by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:31am On Feb 01, 2012
LagosShia:

while i agree with most of what you said,let me correct the above statement comparing Lagos to Anambra for christianity and say it is not true.there could be more muslims in Lagos than christians.you just need to compare the populations of mosques on fridays to that of churches on sundays.LOL

as for the christian intolerance,faith is a personal thing.in a country like Nigeria where there is religious freedom,you dont go around embrassing people.muslims in nigeria dont go to people's houses knocking on their doors to preach to them.but christians not only in nigeria do that.and sometimes,they  trying to be "convincing" while that can be seen as agressive.that is a way of salesmanship and agressive marketeering of one's product.

you can also take the forum as an example.the intolerance and outright attacks using the most dirty language by christians against what muslims hold sacred.this was very rampant before.

someone even just opened a thread relating to this matter:

"Do Christianity Teaches How To Insult Other Religion?"
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-858656.0.html
I can't say I'm too concerned by the demographic spread of religious groups but I agree with you that religious creed should be personal but the arrogant christian groups in particular don't seem to comprehend this. Every non-christian to them must be some kind of immoral agent of Satan. They're certainly the religious group I find most irritating to deal with in my day-to-day encounters. As a consequence, you'll find they're the biggest targets of atheists who despise their arrogance.
Re: Christian Intolerance by manmustwac(m): 11:56am On Feb 01, 2012
@post
Nice write up. Living in Nigeria now must be like living in Britain during the middle ages . We still have not reached the age of enlightenment and we are drowning in religion.
Re: Christian Intolerance by Nobody: 12:04pm On Feb 01, 2012
I believe when Christians become asking serious questions about the faith there will be a great change, for Good. The animosity and bottled up hate will die down.
Re: Christian Intolerance by Nobody: 12:06pm On Feb 01, 2012
@manmustwac

'in your home studio making hit tunes'

Nice, please can you assist me in this regard?
Re: Christian Intolerance by Obi1kenobi(m): 12:25pm On Feb 01, 2012
manmustwac:

@post
Nice write up. Living in Nigeria now must be like living in Britain during the middle ages . We still have not reached the age of enlightenment and we are drowning in religion.
It's certainly difficult living here among religious fanatics who would persecute and ostracize you. You need to see how people look at me when I tell them my beliefs but it frankly doesn't bother me anymore. I handle them a lot better than I did at the beginning when I found their smug, condescending, preachy sermonizing disturbing and intimidating.
Re: Christian Intolerance by plaetton: 2:34pm On Feb 01, 2012
Yes Oh.
Its like christians in Nigeria greatly miss the good old days of the dark ages and they desperately want to relive it by recreating the New Dark Ages In Nigeria with all the ignorance, superstition,hate , intolerance , blackmail and pius fraud that were characteristic of that era.
Re: Christian Intolerance by 2good(m): 5:06pm On Feb 01, 2012
I use to tell people in Nigeria that they are in the middle age because they do everything the European Christians of the middle age did to non believers except to kill them. I am a black Nigerian by birth but feel happier living in Europe than Nigeria because Nigerians will not just mind their business by living their life and allow others do same. In my last visit to Nigeria, I was so embarrassed as to the level of religiosity of the country viz-a-viz the extreme level of poverty and illiteracy plaguing the land which from their believes and preaching, will be a contradiction of gods promise to them. People just follow religious leaders like zombies. You see them praying and fasting for the most basic things of life, which the western countries have solved about a century ago. My entire family feel I am a lost child but have long left me to live my life the way I want to after they couldn't re convert and bring me close to their superstitious christian god and his son jesus.
Africans will rather profess religion than to do what is right that is why the continent is still centuries behind with people behaving like animals and praying for things that requires common sense to solve while their religious leaders live in extreme affluence
Re: Christian Intolerance by Obi1kenobi(m): 6:15pm On Feb 01, 2012
2good, you're spot on though my main grouse isn't so much what they believe but the intrusive, in-your-face, ubiquitous practise of their beliefs which pretty much violates the privacy and right to free will of others.

(1) (Reply)

Is The Old Testament God The Same As The New Testament One? / Shall We Ban Religion? / Why Is That Pastor's Don't Attend Wedding Reception?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.