Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,751 members, 7,905,782 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 July 2024 at 06:18 PM

Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 (8878 Views)

FG Probes 10 Varsities Over Fraud, Sex Scandals(see List)-daily Trust / 7 Nigerian Varsities Emerge For World Bank Sponsored Projects / Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by Arosa(m): 12:22pm On Feb 06, 2012
Cooperation between business and education is key to improvements in our schools. Universities in Countries like Germany have a stellar reputation with its industries. Companies frequently extend apprenticeships and internships even to high-school students. So young engineering grads and technicians have the opportunity to start careers with an intimate knowledge of their company's business. Companies start these programs because they are effective at developing employee who are productive the day they are hired.
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by oc2fish: 12:24pm On Feb 06, 2012
Our Universities were rated low because they do not have facilities. It is
out of place for any research to be carried out in a generator powered
University.

Real Nigerian student can survive this and do well with the obsolete theories
from our Unis. But i put it to you that most NIGERIAN students dont want to learn
they need the paper but not the knowledge.

It is disheartening to know that a (600) level extra year student studying
Fisheries mgt cannot inject fish, a skill that will allow companies to employ him
so tel me who to blame. The lecturers or the student?
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by Dnaz(m): 12:24pm On Feb 06, 2012
A university is a university period.
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by Dnaz(m): 12:34pm On Feb 06, 2012
D reason y some ppl go to Ghana to study is because dey culdnt pass UME.in terms academics we r okay. Maybe d infrastructures r not there. But dat doesn't mean graduates from western universities have more academic wits dan our university graduates
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by Arosa(m): 12:39pm On Feb 06, 2012
what I will like to see in Nigeria, is companies like Shell, glo, mtn and dangote plc; providing adequate funding for our universities. Its not too much to ask for.
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by emisun(m): 12:42pm On Feb 06, 2012
the information given by the poster is wrong. poster pls re-visit webometric for real facts
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by Arosa(m): 12:50pm On Feb 06, 2012
Is this a typical Nigeria computer lab? grin grin grin

Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by WackyJ1(m): 1:30pm On Feb 06, 2012
^^^ Yes oh. They can even be more than that sef
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by Sike(m): 1:48pm On Feb 06, 2012
Nothing New!
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by eghost247(m): 2:01pm On Feb 06, 2012
no one should be surprised anybody who is surprised at this is totally delusional
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by Nobody: 2:21pm On Feb 06, 2012
With ASUU in our education sys, wat do y'all expect. Also, wit d FG who care less abt d sys, how are we goin 2make d top list.
If only a bill(wich will eventually become law) will be passed forbiddin anyone in a leadership position in Naija(whether ur child, ward, family etc) frm schoolin abroad, den edu sys go beta na! No be so?
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by Feraz(m): 2:22pm On Feb 06, 2012
. . . . .sometimes, i still wonder why students haven't led peaceful protests across the country concerning the declining rate of education in the country. . . . .
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by sammyke(m): 2:29pm On Feb 06, 2012
not surprised
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by Miracleojo(m): 2:45pm On Feb 06, 2012
i dont think many of us knw the criteria for the ranking.it is based on the website.that is accessibility,the simplicity,the the level of the educational standard of the uni web that is getting educational information on their website.b4 u start jubilating i think we should check academhc ratings and not web.on standard uniben is 74th or so in africa after unilorin,unibadan and unilag and oau with 32,33,34and 37th in africa respectively
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by Nobody: 3:13pm On Feb 06, 2012
Y won't b so wen our leaders wil refused to gv us 1st klass nd a 2nd class upper aftr all those stress nd den our leaders wil only put people they knw in top positions
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by solomon111(m): 3:35pm On Feb 06, 2012
@miracleojo
That is a lie!
The only school in Nigeria better than uniben academically is U.I
Besides if not for the fact that U.I is the pioneer uni in Nigeria,i dont see much difference between them academically.
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by solomon111(m): 3:41pm On Feb 06, 2012
@luvola
The reason why UNIBEN medicine was disaccredited was because they admitted too many students.
But i think it has been restored.
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by luvola(m): 3:48pm On Feb 06, 2012
Uniben medicine lost her accreditation recently so rating them 1st in nig is fallacious.gbam.
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by luvola(m): 3:55pm On Feb 06, 2012
according to the rating auchi poly better than all the state own unis in nig ?
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by pcicero(m): 4:26pm On Feb 06, 2012
This poster is a pointer to the failure of our educational system. Infact, most of the posters here are also suffering from the same syndrome. Why is it so difficult to comprehend that this ranking is based on web presence and not educational standard as some have rightly pointed out?
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by Nobody: 4:37pm On Feb 06, 2012
Use a blackberyy? Add me on BBM. Pin:26BE3874!! Everybody's welcome wink
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by solomon111(m): 4:39pm On Feb 06, 2012
@luvola
UNIBEN did not lose their medical accreditation(which they have gotten back almost immediately) due to lack of trained personnells or equipments,rather it was due to the greediness on the side of the authorities, which led to the over-admission of
students.
I believe they have learnt their lessons,due to the unbearable embarrassement, and they have started making adjustments.Incase you dont know,
UBTH is the most renowned teaching hospital in Nigeria, second only to UCH(Even that one is debatable,as some say it is better than UCH).
Just recently they accomplished the enviable record of being the first and only teaching hospital in west-africa to successfully carry out a local stem-cell operation for a sickle cell patient.
That dosent look like a UNI that dont know what it is doing.
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by kizito96(m): 4:42pm On Feb 06, 2012
We do not have Universities, we only have glorified Secondary Schools
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by solomon111(m): 4:45pm On Feb 06, 2012
@luvola
UNIBEN did not lose their medical accreditation(which they have gotten back almost immediately) due to lack of trained personnells or equipments,rather it was due to the greediness on the side of the authorities, which led to the over-admission of
students.
I believe they have learnt their lessons,due to the unbearable embarrassement, and they have started making adjustments.Incase you dont know,
UBTH is the most renowned teaching hospital in Nigeria, second only to UCH(Even that one is debatable,as some say it is better than UCH).
Just recently they accomplished the enviable record of being the first and only teaching hospital in west-africa to successfully carry out a local stem-cell operation for a sickle cell patient.
That dosent look like a UNI that dont know what it is doing.
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by queensmith: 7:09pm On Feb 06, 2012
What body monitors Nigerias medical schools? Is it local or is there an international standard?
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by claremont(m): 7:15pm On Feb 06, 2012
Greatest UNIBEN studeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeents!!!

We know say we no dey carry last everywhere we go for this world!
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by chuqudy(m): 8:00pm On Feb 06, 2012
Dem no mention my school UNIZIK. Bleep UP!
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by Uzzyan: 8:11pm On Feb 06, 2012
A̶̲̥̅♏ impressed we got thus far dis year!! I av bin ffg other years nd we always come 6000 plus!! Τ̅☺ my alma mata I say keep the flag flying!! #Uniben
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by emmatok(m): 9:41pm On Feb 06, 2012
That list look suspicious to me. undecided undecided undecided

What is NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA doing on that list.
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by Gaybriel: 10:41pm On Feb 06, 2012
Hey, that report is not correct. For your information it was 11 institutions(UNIBEN, UI, UNAAB, OAU, UNN, UNILAG, ABU, UNILORIN, FUTA, AUCHI POLY AND UNIJOS in that order) in Nigeria that was part of the first 100 in africa. For genuine info go to www.webometric.com
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by Gaybriel: 10:42pm On Feb 06, 2012
Hey, that report is not correct. For your information it was 11 institutions(UNIBEN, UI, UNAAB, OAU, UNN, UNILAG, ABU, UNILORIN, FUTA, AUCHI POLY AND UNIJOS in that order) in Nigeria that were part of the first 100 in africa. For genuine info go to www.webometric.com
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by emmatok(m): 11:53pm On Feb 06, 2012
Gaybriel:

Hey, that report is not correct. For your information it was 11 institutions(UNIBEN, UI, UNAAB, OAU, UNN, UNILAG, ABU, UNILORIN, FUTA, AUCHI POLY AND UNIJOS in that order) in Nigeria that were part of the first 100 in africa. For genuine info go to www.webometric.com

This is the original link.

University of Benin
University of Agriculture Abeokuta
University of Ibadan
University of Nigeria
Obafemi Awolowo University
University of Lagos
Ahmadu Bello University
University of Ilorin
University of Jos
Auchi Polytechnic
National Open University of Nigeria

http://www.webometrics.info/top100_continent.asp?cont=africa

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bola Ige’s Family Scholarship For Indigent Students In Osun, Oyo / Apply For Seplat Energy Undergraduate Scholarships. Nigerians Only / Strike: We’re Still Consulting, Says ASUU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.