Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,750 members, 7,905,776 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 July 2024 at 06:12 PM

Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 (8877 Views)

FG Probes 10 Varsities Over Fraud, Sex Scandals(see List)-daily Trust / 7 Nigerian Varsities Emerge For World Bank Sponsored Projects / Unilorin Leads Nigerian Varsities In World Ranking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by OnyeBabe1(f): 4:33am On Feb 07, 2012
I just see a business opportunity to create an elite business school in Nigeria. Seriously, accept only 1000 people based on top grades and interviews, build a campus in a town like Ibadan or Benin or Abuja, focus on business development, leadership and innovation, create industry networks and work hard to get my students in the top job positions and well, Okoro is your Uncle.
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by queensmith: 8:13am On Feb 07, 2012
^^ in the end the rich will go and the poor will be left behind, is it not naija?
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by Arosa(m): 10:45am On Feb 07, 2012
Onye Babe:

I just see a business opportunity to create an elite business school in Nigeria. Seriously, accept only 1000 people based on top grades and interviews, build a campus in a town like Ibadan or Benin or Abuja, focus on business development, leadership and innovation, create industry networks and work hard to get my students in the top job positions and well, Okoro is your Uncle.

That is a good idea, we need more naija peeps thinking like you.
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by OnyeBabe1(f): 3:34pm On Feb 07, 2012
queensmith:

^^ in the end the rich will go and the poor will be left behind, is it not naija?

Not if the school is funded by the big companies in Nigeria and I charge international students twice as much, I could have many people on scholarships or have them work in the school part time to supplement their fees. Too many ways to work these things out to an extent because the school needs different backgrounds and cultures to succeed, that is what most good schools do. smiley
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by queensmith: 3:50pm On Feb 07, 2012
and the rich that own and run the big companies and businesses of nigeria will award their children the scholarships, supplement the schools with their extravagant culture and sabotage any welfare introduced.

seriously this is Nigeria we're talking about, not only that. Even in London no such school exists. and no welfare can balance out the disparity of the nation.
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by jaybee3(m): 3:52pm On Feb 07, 2012
queensmith:

and the rich that own and run the big companies and businesses of nigeria will award their children the scholarships, supplement the schools with their extravagant culture and sabotage any welfare introduced.

seriously this is Nigeria we're talking about, not only that. Even in London no such school exists. and no welfare can balance out the disparity of the nation.

errrrmmmm they sort of do.

Grammar schools
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by queensmith: 3:55pm On Feb 07, 2012
are we talking about secondary schools?

and grammer schools are filled mostly with the middle classes jaybee- cmon!
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by OnyeBabe1(f): 3:56pm On Feb 07, 2012
queensmith:

Not when it is my school.  Most Business Schools have their income supplemented by companies. Also in the UK, universities reserve places for poorer kids and give them scholarship so that they can achieve diversity, its a crazy world smiley
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by jaybee3(m): 4:01pm On Feb 07, 2012
I think she is on about secondary schools

why are grammar schools mostly filled with middle class ayetty?

Grammar schools was established so that the gifted/talented can flourish as well as having all the necessary pre-requisite knowledge to succeed when they move on to universities and beyond.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammar_school
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by queensmith: 4:02pm On Feb 07, 2012
seriously? are we talking of the same london?

no1 last time i checked, universities make their own income by charging FEES

2nd time i checked these fees are extortionate amounts that poor people can never afford

3rd time i checked, universities are not obliged to reserve places for anybody, they function independant to any government and can do what they like with their places

what currently (soon to expire) exists is a scheme that loans people money to attend these schools.

this scheme does not extend to business school so if you want to go to a business school you will have your 20-40grand up front to pay for it.

companies do not pay universities, just because EMPLOYEES attend these schools for the companies benefits doesnt mean the company is sponsoring the university!
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by queensmith: 4:05pm On Feb 07, 2012
we're talking about higher education.

grammer/good schools in london are filled with middle classes,

you asses this by checking the number of students not paying for school dinners

these same schools are also almost impossible to get into unless you have a relationship with the school prior, meaning they also have a very selective system
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by jaybee3(m): 4:07pm On Feb 07, 2012
yeah you're right about the Op talking about higher education.
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by OnyeBabe1(f): 4:16pm On Feb 07, 2012
@queensmith, why so serious? Babe chill, I am talking about a business university. I am not saying the entire school is funded like that but the really good ones are helped by big businesses and they do give preferences to get poorer students because diversity in very important for balanced learning since you learn different things from everyone.

I am just proposing an idea and you can always fault it one way or the other, but bear in mind that I just came up with it. I have not sat down to think about every aspect of it, so relax a bit, it is all good.  wink

PS: if I had or have the money, I would definitely create a business school.
Re: Nigerian Varsities Fail To Make Top 1,600 by queensmith: 4:25pm On Feb 07, 2012
^^ ahhhh i see, tis a nice idea. if only the world functioned as such and all the good people had all the money. wink

for now we are at the mercy of those higher up the pyramaid. For now they get the best education, the best lives and the best jobs (if they need it) the rest get the scraps!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Help An Aspiring Medical Student / How Private Schools Rip-off Abuja Parents / Original Jamb Result

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.