Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,731 members, 7,875,838 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 10:53 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (108) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (819035 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (105) (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 1:25pm On Dec 12, 2014
diddy62:
justwise please is it possible I stay in the uk after my masters ?

Not impossible but your chances are remotely slim.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 11:06pm On Dec 12, 2014
diddy62:

Depends on your course of study and research in your msc. If both were relevant you can get a Ph.D opportunity with sponsorship as high as £38000 to extend your stay.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 8:53am On Dec 13, 2014
GeneralShepherd:

Depends on your course of study and research in your msc. If both were relevant you can get a Ph.D opportunity with sponsorship as high as £38000 to extend your stay.

I think he is referring to staying back and work after graduation
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lexusgs430: 12:15am On Dec 21, 2014
diddy62:

Teresa May is drafting a bill, insisting all students after completing the course the visa was granted for, would have to return to their home country and re-apply for whatever fresh application process.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 6:04am On Dec 25, 2014
Would it work? lipsrsealed
If only Labour (and especially Milliband) would get their act together undecided
Lexusgs430:

Teresa May is drafting a bill, insisting all students after completing the course the visa was granted for, would have to return to their home country and re-apply for whatever fresh application process.

SEASON'S GREETINGS EVERYONE! wink wink
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lexusgs430: 6:55am On Dec 25, 2014
ochukoccna:
Would it work? lipsrsealed
If only Labour (and especially Milliband) would get their act together undecided

SEASON'S GREETINGS EVERYONE! wink wink

We will have to watch and see !!!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by gcey2k(m): 9:22am On Dec 27, 2014
Lexusgs430:

I don't understand how this post helps relative to his question. Maybe because I don't have much knowledge about the subject. I would appreciate if you expatiate.
Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Otuabaroku: 11:39am On Dec 27, 2014
[quote author=diddy62 post=28804641] justwise please is it possible I stay in the uk after my masters ?[/quote ] Sure. It is possible to stay in UK after your masters. This could be done by getting employer to sponsor your visa.

The trick is make sure you get a good grade in your first semester and work on your CV. Also engage the services of your career services provided by your Uni to bring your CV, application, and interview skills to UK standard.

Once you got them right, start applying to as many job adverts as possible. Bear in mind that you would definitely get many rejection but let that not deter you because you are one step to get the employer that is happy to give you the job.

The key is start on time.
keep a positive attitude to the job search despite the challenge.
Perseverance.

Best of luck.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ironbender101(m): 4:24pm On Dec 27, 2014
Please is there any nairalander in Salford Uni?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lexusgs430: 5:11pm On Dec 27, 2014
gcey2k:

I don't understand how this post helps relative to his question. Maybe because I don't have much knowledge about the subject. I would appreciate if you expatiate.
Thanks.

Read through thread, and take note of the question asked by the OP and you will hopefully understand my response !!!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by esosa4real(m): 4:09pm On Dec 28, 2014
justwise:

Lol you support Man United? Sorry about that grin grin paying TV license on top of that is enough punishment grin

You can watch live stream online free and can even connect it to your TV via laptop.

Any weekend without EPL or F1 is a dead one for me

Ehen, I never knew our oga justwise fit laff, gist or play like dis oo!!!...hehe!!..*strolling to the General UK thread to call the others to cme and see o......zoom!.....brb*LOL

Bros by the way, pls hellep me with the link to stream manchester utd live matches online, Thanks u and Godbless u for ur contributions on our UK thread! ! Merry xmas

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 4:37pm On Dec 28, 2014
esosa4real:

Ehen, I never knew our oga justwise fit laff, gist or play like dis oo!!!...hehe!!..*strolling to the General UK thread to call the others to cme and see o......zoom!.....brb*LOL

Bros by the way, pls hellep me with the link to stream manchester utd live matches online, Thanks u and Godbless u for ur contributions on our UK thread! ! Merry xmas

Same link http://myp2p.ec
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by royalsweetness(f): 8:25am On Dec 30, 2014
justwise:

Same link http://myp2p.ec
Quick question justwise, my uni is on a two week christmas break after which the semester still continues in January, this break still counts as term time for work purposes right?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 8:29am On Dec 30, 2014
royalsweetness:

Quick question justwise, my uni is on a two week christmas break after which the semester still continues in January, this break still counts as term time for work purposes right?

No you can work more than 20hrs
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Eyituoyo(m): 12:26pm On Jan 01, 2015
Please i want to go on holiday to Nigeria for easter but am scared because i work more than 20hrs i do a care job but don't know if i would be sent back
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by pato231(m): 12:29pm On Jan 01, 2015
Eyituoyo:
Please i want to go on holiday to Nigeria for easter but am scared because i work more than 20hrs i do a care job but don't know if i would be sent back
now this is a tricky one,waiting on the experts
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 12:35pm On Jan 01, 2015
pato231:

now this is a tricky one,waiting on the experts
Not trickey at all!
Poster is working illegal hours (presumably on student visa.
If found out then expect cancellation of your visa and possible ban.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by pato231(m): 12:40pm On Jan 01, 2015
worry359:

Not trickey at all!
Poster is working illegal hours (presumably on student visa.
If found out then expect cancellation of your visa and possible ban.
standard issue grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 1:45pm On Jan 01, 2015
Eyituoyo:

They normally stop people at random sometimes to ask questions...your answer to those questions might lead to further digging into your studies in the UK....e.g If you traveled to Nigeria and stayed longer than necessary or found with large amount of money then questions will turn to your studies...whether you have been attending lectures, passing your modules, know enough about your course...if you failed to give satisfactory answers then...they want to know what you have been doing in the UK apart from studying.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by gcey2k(m): 8:44am On Jan 06, 2015
Good morning all..

I saw on wakanow.com that they have an international Travel SIM that have very good call/data rates in the UK. My question is if anyone knows about their services and if their promises are true or they have hidden charges.

CALL RATES FOR UK
O2--- $0.39/Min
T-Mobile-- $0.40/min

DATA RATES per 1MB
O2-- $0.11
T-Mobile-- $0.060

www.wakanow.com/ng/travelsimcard/

Thanks!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by NixandaStores(m): 5:06pm On Jan 06, 2015
@justwise

Please I need your advice on how I can be sending Nigerian foodstuffs to the UK and if possible if you have contacts of restaurants or African shop that might be interested in buying from me.

I believe some students over there can even tap into this business on a part time basis in order to make some profit for themselves.

I just want to know if this can be possible any way.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 5:16pm On Jan 06, 2015
NixandaStores:
@justwise

Please I need your advice on how I can be sending Nigerian foodstuffs to the UK and if possible if you have contacts of restaurants or African shop that might be interested in buying from me.

I believe some students over there can even tap into this business on a part time basis in order to make some profit for themselves.

I don't know anybody who is unto this line of business, i guess many Nigerian restaurants here have their suppliers already.

You can search online for Nigerian restaurants or food shops in the UK then contact them to see it.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by NixandaStores(m): 5:56pm On Jan 06, 2015
justwise:

I don't know anybody who is unto this line of business, i guess many Nigerian restaurants here have their suppliers already.

You can search online for Nigerian restaurants or food shops in the UK then contact them to see it.

OK sir thank you and I really appreciate your response.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 6:16pm On Jan 06, 2015
NixandaStores:

OK sir thank you and I really appreciate your response.

I know these two... Abams 63 High Town Road Luton LU2 0DD, United Kingdom‎
+44 1582 411852

and http://victoriakitchen.co.uk/index.php/about-us

You may contact them to find out
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by NixandaStores(m): 7:06pm On Jan 06, 2015
justwise:

I know these two... Abams 63 High Town Road Luton LU2 0DD, United Kingdom‎
+44 1582 411852

and http://victoriakitchen.co.uk/index.php/about-us

You may contact them to find out

Thank you so much sir, I have sent an email to one and will call the other 2moro.
If you happen to still come across any other please don't hesitate to inform me sir. God bless you
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:50pm On Jan 06, 2015
gcey2k:
Good morning all..

I saw on wakanow.com that they have an international Travel SIM that have very good call/data rates in the UK. My question is if anyone knows about their services and if their promises are true or they have hidden charges.

CALL RATES FOR UK
O2--- $0.39/Min
T-Mobile-- $0.40/min

DATA RATES per 1MB
O2-- $0.11
T-Mobile-- $0.060

www.wakanow.com/ng/travelsimcard/

Thanks!

Did you happen to notice that the currency is in Dollars?

If you're looking for service providers in the UK offerring cheap international calls (presumably to Nigeria), a Lycamobile or Lebara sim would more than suffice. At 1-3pence a minute, I don't think you would find better. And the sim cards are ubiquitous, meaning you can always get them for free, or next to nothing at the most random places - airports, restaurants, school offices etc...

However, I'm not entirely sure about the call and data rates within the UK, but I'm fairly certain that they are quite substantial, relative to international call rates.

That's my two british-american kobo.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 8:09pm On Jan 06, 2015
NixandaStores:
@justwise
If you want to export food to the UK (or the EU) you must meet food standards.
You may also need licences.
Information here http://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/imports/importers/thirdcountryfaq

You might get away with posting small parcels but everything is inspected on arrival in the UK.
Sometimes by "sniffer dogs" looking for illegal goods.
So you will not operate for long like that.

If UK buisnesses use no approved food stuff they face very large fines.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by gcey2k(m): 10:10pm On Jan 06, 2015
dolapobello1:

Did you happen to notice that the currency is in Dollars?

If you're looking for service providers in the UK offerring cheap international calls (presumably to Nigeria), a Lycamobile or Lebara sim would more than suffice. At 1-3pence a minute, I don't think you would find better. And the sim cards are ubiquitous, meaning you can always get them for free, or next to nothing at the most random places - airports, restaurants, school offices etc...

However, I'm not entirely sure about the call and data rates within the UK, but I'm fairly certain that they are quite substantial, relative to international call rates.

That's my two british-american kobo.

Thanks a whole lot bro. I was thinking lebara charges in pounds per minute ... @justwise, can you help out with the call and data rate of these network providers within the uk? Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 11:42pm On Jan 06, 2015
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by gcey2k(m): 12:04am On Jan 07, 2015
DisGuy:
Lebara

http://www.lebara.co.uk/prepay/rates

Lyca

http://www.lycamobile.co.uk/en/standard-rates

Tnx Disguy and Dolapobello1 for the enlightenment. I was actually mistaking the 'p' to be pounds.

Tnx again.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 7:50am On Jan 07, 2015
gcey2k:

Thanks a whole lot bro. I was thinking lebara charges in pounds per minute ... @justwise, can you help out with the call and data rate of these network providers within the uk? Thanks.

Lycamobile is a lot better than many others, lebara is another one as people have already told you

(1) (2) (3) ... (105) (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) ... (213) (Reply)

Securing Visa To France, Applying From Nigeria... / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.